Woman dies after being refused medically necessary abortion (Ireland)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by Horgen (110301 posts) -
If it was legitimately a medically necessary abortion, the female body has ways of shutting that kind of thing down.XilePrincess
Doesnt mean it always will though.
#52 Posted by wis3boi (31709 posts) -

[QUOTE="XilePrincess"]If it was legitimately a medically necessary abortion, the female body has ways of shutting that kind of thing down.The_Last_Ride
i don't think you know general biology...

I think you've been out of the news loop

#53 Posted by XilePrincess (13130 posts) -
[QUOTE="XilePrincess"]If it was legitimately a medically necessary abortion, the female body has ways of shutting that kind of thing down.The_Last_Ride

lol I love when people don't get it.
#54 Posted by The_Last_Ride (73528 posts) -
[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"][QUOTE="XilePrincess"]If it was legitimately a medically necessary abortion, the female body has ways of shutting that kind of thing down.chaoscougar1

I don't think you watch the news...

if you are refering to that senator that said something similar about rape, then yeah i caught that. But i don't watch everything that comes from the us...
#55 Posted by XilePrincess (13130 posts) -
[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"] if you are refering to that senator that said something similar about rape, then yeah i caught that. But i don't watch everything that comes from the us...

That was exactly what it was. I don't watch anything from the US either but when stuff happens it's all over the internet pretty fast. I don't need to actually watch the news to know what's going on down yonder.
#56 Posted by timothyrolls (157 posts) -
We should never have an abortion. The woman chose to get pregnant so she knew these types of things could occur.
#57 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -

I thought this might be a good thread for discussing the moral dilemmas about abortion, but no, it's just the daily hate on religious people thread. We've moved on from muslims to catholics today it seems.

#58 Posted by tenaka2 (17040 posts) -

We should never have an abortion. The woman chose to get pregnant so she knew these types of things could occur.timothyrolls

Ironically posts like this prove that abortion can be a good thing.

#59 Posted by The_Last_Ride (73528 posts) -
[QUOTE="XilePrincess"][QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"] if you are refering to that senator that said something similar about rape, then yeah i caught that. But i don't watch everything that comes from the us...

That was exactly what it was. I don't watch anything from the US either but when stuff happens it's all over the internet pretty fast. I don't need to actually watch the news to know what's going on down yonder.

ok, so it was a sarcastic statement?
#60 Posted by SteverXIII (3829 posts) -
so it was a sarcastic statement?The_Last_Ride
No, she was being totally serious.
#61 Posted by timothyrolls (157 posts) -

[QUOTE="timothyrolls"]We should never have an abortion. The woman chose to get pregnant so she knew these types of things could occur.tenaka2

I don't believe that implying that I should be dead right now is all that cool.
#62 Posted by tenaka2 (17040 posts) -

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="timothyrolls"]We should never have an abortion. The woman chose to get pregnant so she knew these types of things could occur.timothyrolls

Obviously I don't. However your post shows a large lack of knowledge.

#63 Posted by michaelP4 (16680 posts) -
I keep on getting the impression of what I'm reading that Ireland is still a strong Catholic and conservative country. That couldn't be further from the truth. I live in Northern Ireland and I can tell you that the majority of the Irish population is against the Catholic church on many issues - abortion, sex outside of marriage, gay rights, priests being allowed to marry and the list goes on. Ireland is no longer the country it used to be in the 1930s - it's really not that different from the USA, the UK or any other modern Western liberal democracy. As for the story itself: awful. It's criminal that Irish and Northern Irish women have to go to Britain just to get an abortion. We can only hope it'll change some day when the politicians in Ireland and Northern Ireland quit hiding their heads in the sand on this issue.
#64 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34208 posts) -

Well that's dumb. In a case where a woman's life is in danger abortion should be allowed.

#65 Posted by Krelian-co (12104 posts) -

why people dislike religion, can't understand why.

#66 Posted by michaelP4 (16680 posts) -

why people dislike religion, can't understand why.

Krelian-co
Because it's being used by some as a political weapon?
#67 Posted by ghoklebutter (19327 posts) -

is this another attempt to downplay religion? *sigh*

GrayF0X786
Condemning the pro-life position =/= condemning religion in general Although I can't say I'm fond of religions that are pro-life.
#68 Posted by TrainerCeleste (1774 posts) -
Stupid People. They could have saved the women's life, instead of allowing both of them to die. I consider it borderline murder of the women on the hospitals part, they are trained enough to see that she and the baby were going to die. Stupid.
#69 Posted by ghoklebutter (19327 posts) -

We should never have an abortion. The woman chose to get pregnant so she knew these types of things could occur.timothyrolls
Even if the fetus were a person, it would still not have any right to the woman's body. It belongs in her body only so long as she consents to the pregnancy. Whether she chose to get pregnant in the first place is irrelevant.

#70 Posted by TrainerCeleste (1774 posts) -
[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"][QUOTE="XilePrincess"]If it was legitimately a medically necessary abortion, the female body has ways of shutting that kind of thing down.XilePrincess

lol I love when people don't get it.

THAR BE DRAGONS DOWN THERE
#71 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Thought the Catholic stance on abortion was that it was ok if it meant life or death?supa_badman
That is the official position, which I doubt this particular doctor cares about.
#72 Posted by ghoklebutter (19327 posts) -
[QUOTE="jim_shorts"] I thought this might be a good thread for discussing the moral dilemmas about abortion, but no, it's just the daily hate on religious people thread. We've moved on from muslims to catholics today it seems.

No, we're not condemning all religious people; we're specifically condemning religious people who are misogynist dipsh!ts.
#74 Posted by TrainerCeleste (1774 posts) -

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="timothyrolls"]We should never have an abortion. The woman chose to get pregnant so she knew these types of things could occur.timothyrolls

You're on a forum and chose to post, you should know types of things like this could occur. And as he stated, he does not.

#75 Posted by Sajo7 (14049 posts) -
So the doctor is both incompetent AND a pile of refuse.
#76 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
No, we're not condemning all religious people; we're specifically condemning religious people who are misogynist dipsh!ts.ghoklebutter
Typical religionist response to religion thread: >See thread mention religion >Enter thread and determine whether in favor or critical of religion >If in favor, respond with positive statement of agreement >If critical, respond with negative statement assuming generalization of all religion; initiate victim complex and get ultra-defensive if it is your religion
#77 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -
[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"][QUOTE="jim_shorts"] I thought this might be a good thread for discussing the moral dilemmas about abortion, but no, it's just the daily hate on religious people thread. We've moved on from muslims to catholics today it seems.

No, we're not condemning all religious people; we're specifically condemning religious people who are misogynist dipsh!ts.

I hardly consider being pro life misogynist, though I do agree the pro life stance was taken too far in this case. It's a tragic yet isolated incident that some people in this thread are using to paint Ireland or Catholics as backwards. I'm certainly not Catholic myself, but these threads in which people hate on X group of people (usually muslims) get really old.
#78 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151884 posts) -
[QUOTE="michaelP4"]I keep on getting the impression of what I'm reading that Ireland is still a strong Catholic and conservative country. That couldn't be further from the truth. I live in Northern Ireland and I can tell you that the majority of the Irish population is against the Catholic church on many issues - abortion, sex outside of marriage, gay rights, priests being allowed to marry and the list goes on. Ireland is no longer the country it used to be in the 1930s - it's really not that different from the USA, the UK or any other modern Western liberal democracy. As for the story itself: awful. It's criminal that Irish and Northern Irish women have to go to Britain just to get an abortion. We can only hope it'll change some day when the politicians in Ireland and Northern Ireland quit hiding their heads in the sand on this issue.

Err...Northern Ireland is British...
#79 Posted by michaelP4 (16680 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="michaelP4"]I keep on getting the impression of what I'm reading that Ireland is still a strong Catholic and conservative country. That couldn't be further from the truth. I live in Northern Ireland and I can tell you that the majority of the Irish population is against the Catholic church on many issues - abortion, sex outside of marriage, gay rights, priests being allowed to marry and the list goes on. Ireland is no longer the country it used to be in the 1930s - it's really not that different from the USA, the UK or any other modern Western liberal democracy. As for the story itself: awful. It's criminal that Irish and Northern Irish women have to go to Britain just to get an abortion. We can only hope it'll change some day when the politicians in Ireland and Northern Ireland quit hiding their heads in the sand on this issue.

I know, I'm British as well, but there's Irish people here too. It's a long story LSJ... :P
#80 Posted by l4dak47 (6838 posts) -
That's just sad.
#81 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151884 posts) -
[QUOTE="michaelP4"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="michaelP4"]I keep on getting the impression of what I'm reading that Ireland is still a strong Catholic and conservative country. That couldn't be further from the truth. I live in Northern Ireland and I can tell you that the majority of the Irish population is against the Catholic church on many issues - abortion, sex outside of marriage, gay rights, priests being allowed to marry and the list goes on. Ireland is no longer the country it used to be in the 1930s - it's really not that different from the USA, the UK or any other modern Western liberal democracy. As for the story itself: awful. It's criminal that Irish and Northern Irish women have to go to Britain just to get an abortion. We can only hope it'll change some day when the politicians in Ireland and Northern Ireland quit hiding their heads in the sand on this issue.

I know, I'm British as well, but there's Irish people here too. It's a long story LSJ... :P

Oh I know that. My paternal grandfather's family was from County Down....considered themselves Irish...not British.
#82 Posted by toast_burner (22225 posts) -

[QUOTE="michaelP4"]I keep on getting the impression of what I'm reading that Ireland is still a strong Catholic and conservative country. That couldn't be further from the truth. I live in Northern Ireland and I can tell you that the majority of the Irish population is against the Catholic church on many issues - abortion, sex outside of marriage, gay rights, priests being allowed to marry and the list goes on. Ireland is no longer the country it used to be in the 1930s - it's really not that different from the USA, the UK or any other modern Western liberal democracy. As for the story itself: awful. It's criminal that Irish and Northern Irish women have to go to Britain just to get an abortion. We can only hope it'll change some day when the politicians in Ireland and Northern Ireland quit hiding their heads in the sand on this issue.LJS9502_basic

Is it? Great Britain is Wales, Scotland and England. North Ireland is part of the UK though.

I'm not sure if you call people from north Ireland British or not as they technically aren't.

#83 Posted by michaelP4 (16680 posts) -
[QUOTE="michaelP4"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Err...Northern Ireland is British...LJS9502_basic

Oh I know that. My paternal grandfather's family was from County Down....considered themselves Irish...not British.

I'm impressed! And yeah, in NI, you have dual nationality. So you could be Irish or British, or even both.
#84 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151884 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="michaelP4"]I keep on getting the impression of what I'm reading that Ireland is still a strong Catholic and conservative country. That couldn't be further from the truth. I live in Northern Ireland and I can tell you that the majority of the Irish population is against the Catholic church on many issues - abortion, sex outside of marriage, gay rights, priests being allowed to marry and the list goes on. Ireland is no longer the country it used to be in the 1930s - it's really not that different from the USA, the UK or any other modern Western liberal democracy. As for the story itself: awful. It's criminal that Irish and Northern Irish women have to go to Britain just to get an abortion. We can only hope it'll change some day when the politicians in Ireland and Northern Ireland quit hiding their heads in the sand on this issue.toast_burner

Is it? Great Britain is Wales, Scotland and England. North Ireland is part of the UK though.

I'm not sure if you call people from north Ireland British or not as they technically aren't.

I didn't say it was part of Great Britain...I said it was British...ie under British rule.
#85 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151884 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="michaelP4"] I know, I'm British as well, but there's Irish people here too. It's a long story LSJ... :PmichaelP4

I'm impressed! And yeah, in NI, you have dual nationality. So you could be Irish or British, or even both.

That must be tricky.....

#86 Posted by toast_burner (22225 posts) -

[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Err...Northern Ireland is British...LJS9502_basic

I didn't say it was part of Great Britain...I said it was British...ie under British rule.

British means an inhabitant of Britain. North Ireland isn't in Britain.

#87 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151884 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="toast_burner"]Is it? Great Britain is Wales, Scotland and England. North Ireland is part of the UK though.

toast_burner

British means an inhabitant of Britain. North Ireland isn't in Britain.

I drank some British tea......is the tea an inhabitant of Britain?

And here's a quote from Wiki in the Northern Ireland page....Northern Ireland was for many years the site of a violent and bitter inter-communal conflict the Troubles which was caused by divisions between nationalists, who see themselves as Irish and are predominantly Roman Catholic, and unionists, who see themselves as British and are predominantly Protestant.

#88 Posted by michaelP4 (16680 posts) -
Britain = England, Scotland and Wales UK = Britain + Northern Ireland So, you get the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Currently, NI is part of the UK, and so is British in the sense that it is ultimately governed by the British Parliament, follows British law, has British institutions like the NHS etc. On dual nationality: it's all about identity really. Anyone in NI is indeed a British citizen but what nationality they take is their choice, if they even want to be both. It's not that much different from the idea of Italian Americans, Irish Americans and so on. Some would say "I'm just American!" others would like to emphasise they came from a particular part of the world to settle in America.
#89 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151884 posts) -
[QUOTE="michaelP4"]Britain = England, Scotland and Wales UK = Britain + Northern Ireland So, you get the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Currently, NI is part of the UK, and so is British in the sense that it is ultimately governed by the British Parliament, follows British law, has British institutions like the NHS etc. On dual nationality: it's all about identity really. Anyone in NI is indeed a British citizen but what nationality they take is their choice, if they even want to be both. It's not that much different from the idea of Italian Americans, Irish Americans and so on. Some would say "I'm just American!" others would like to emphasise they came from a particular part of the world to settle in America.

I already know all that. But NI is still under the British. You don't have to be in Britain to be British.
#90 Posted by michaelP4 (16680 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="michaelP4"]Britain = England, Scotland and Wales UK = Britain + Northern Ireland So, you get the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Currently, NI is part of the UK, and so is British in the sense that it is ultimately governed by the British Parliament, follows British law, has British institutions like the NHS etc. On dual nationality: it's all about identity really. Anyone in NI is indeed a British citizen but what nationality they take is their choice, if they even want to be both. It's not that much different from the idea of Italian Americans, Irish Americans and so on. Some would say "I'm just American!" others would like to emphasise they came from a particular part of the world to settle in America.

I already know all that. But NI is still under the British. You don't have to be in Britain to be British.

Exactly. You could be British but live in America for example. The early settlers of the thirteen colonies considered themselves British.
#91 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151884 posts) -
[QUOTE="michaelP4"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="michaelP4"]Britain = England, Scotland and Wales UK = Britain + Northern Ireland So, you get the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Currently, NI is part of the UK, and so is British in the sense that it is ultimately governed by the British Parliament, follows British law, has British institutions like the NHS etc. On dual nationality: it's all about identity really. Anyone in NI is indeed a British citizen but what nationality they take is their choice, if they even want to be both. It's not that much different from the idea of Italian Americans, Irish Americans and so on. Some would say "I'm just American!" others would like to emphasise they came from a particular part of the world to settle in America.

Exactly. You could be British but live in America for example. The early settlers of the thirteen colonies considered themselves British.

They did indeed.
#92 Posted by JohnF111 (14105 posts) -
Gotta love religion.
#93 Posted by tryagainlater (7445 posts) -

Been waiting for Ireland to have another referendum regarding abortion for a while now. It's about time we entered the 20th century.

#94 Posted by michaelP4 (16680 posts) -

Been waiting for Ireland to have another referendum regarding abortion for a while now. It's about time we entered the 20th century.

tryagainlater
The 1900s? We've already been through them. I think you mean the 21st century, mate. ;) :P
#95 Posted by Bane_09 (3394 posts) -
Thats very sad, too bad so many dumb people flock to religion and use it as a tool to force their beliefs on others
#96 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (4103 posts) -

Darwin award.

#97 Posted by tenaka2 (17040 posts) -

Darwin award.

MakeMeaSammitch

Are awared to people who stupidly kill themsleves... are all women that have children darwin award winners?

#98 Posted by 35cent (925 posts) -

Very sad news indeed. Hopefully we can get another referendum to legalise abortion as soon as possible.

#99 Posted by TonyDanzaFan (2973 posts) -
It was God's plan. Everything happens for a reason. She should never have questioned GODDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#100 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (4103 posts) -

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]

Darwin award.

tenaka2

Are awared to people who stupidly kill themsleves... are all women that have children darwin award winners?

women that die because they don't have a medically needed abortion, yes.