Winphone finally a competitor. Doubles and 10 million.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

While Windows phone had been occasionally fighting Blackberry (mostly by eating popcorn on a chair) as the Canadian firm killed itself by itself (and I do not think the Z30 should change that. Maybe MS should buy blackberry? They aren't worth much at the moment.)

Windows Phone, for the first time, shipped OVER 10 million phones the first time in the HISTORY of Windows Phone going back to the olden days of 6 or so years ago. They also doubled their global market share. Notice the chart:

http://venturebeat.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/screen-shot-2013-10-31-at-11-15-11-am.png?w=544&h=549

It is clear that with just a bit more effort, and the fall of the Iphone empire, Windows Phone will be the official 2nd place maybe by the end of 2014. Or maybe that's entirely unrealistic.

Anyway here is the source: http://medcitynews.com/2013/10/windows-phone-fastest-growing-third-quarter/

#2 Edited by GazaAli (21498 posts) -

I so want a windows phone. I'd choose it over Android if I had the money.

#3 Edited by one_plum (6098 posts) -

@GazaAli:

I don't know what's your budget, but I bought the Lumia 520 for its affordable price.

#4 Posted by Sparty_basic (496 posts) -

I've had an HTC 8x since last year, and I absolutely love it. I'm a permanent believer in the WP ecosystem. I went from being a die hard Android adopter from day one. It's not that I disliked the Android at all, it's just that I prefer a little more closed system in the phone to ensure it works at peak performance and can handle any software thrown at it. With Android, there was just too much changing, and frankly I could spend so much time just getting the screen to look just right, that it became a job. With WP8, I have some freedom (more than IPhone) but I also benefit from the closed system. Everything runs lightning quick still today, and the interface is easy and sensible. It also pairs up with just about anything I need.

Basically I am a convert. Now that Nokia is fully in the fold, it will only get better.

#5 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (3953 posts) -

I love my Lumia 920, but I don't see Windows Phone passing the iPhone anytime soon.

#6 Edited by ferrari2001 (16302 posts) -

Windows phone won't surpass the iphone in year. I could see it happening eventually but not for a few years at least. Microsoft has the advantage though if apple continues the trend of releasing rehashes of the previous gen. devices while putting little thought into expanding needs and markets.

#7 Posted by Stesilaus (3271 posts) -

That's good news, if only because consumers generally benefit from greater competition in the marketplace.

I may even have to consider studying the APIs for Windows Store apps. :-)

#8 Posted by GazaAli (21498 posts) -

@one_plum said:

@GazaAli:

I don't know what's your budget, but I bought the Lumia 520 for its affordable price.

Well I was able to get the Galaxy ACE II for 220$ dollars back in June. The cheapest Lumia was going for 450$ at the time -_-

#9 Edited by foxhound_fox (85317 posts) -

I'm still trying to decide between the Lumia 1020 and the Galaxy Note 3 for my new phone. The Lumia has that ridonkulous 41 MP camera with a real xenon flash and lossless zooming and a great OS and streaming between it an my laptop (which is 8.1)... but the Note 3 has USB3.0 connectivity, a better screen (1080p) more camera features (and still 13MP), 4K video with lossless zooming and a great OS that while doesn't offer direct streaming it has advantages over Windows Phone OS.

Then, there is the Lumia 1520 with it's 20MP camera, 6" screen and brand new OS upgrade coming in a month or two... but that would be way to fucking big for me.

#10 Posted by GazaAli (21498 posts) -

I'm still trying to decide between the Lumia 1020 and the Galaxy Note 3 for my new phone. The Lumia has that ridonkulous 41 MP camera with a real xenon flash and lossless zooming and a great OS and streaming between it an my laptop (which is 8.1)... but the Note 3 has USB3.0 connectivity, a better screen (1080p) more camera features (and still 13MP), 4K video with lossless zooming and a great OS that while doesn't offer direct streaming it has advantages over Windows Phone OS.

Then, there is the Lumia 1520 with it's 20MP camera, 6" screen and brand new OS upgrade coming in a month or two... but that would be way to fucking big for me.

Go the Lumia route. Samsung makes solid phone no doubt, and Android is a great OS. But after a while you feel that Samsung just keeps making its phones bigger and bigger and throws in a few new functionalities and features. I'm not sure why, but it just feels off to me. I played with the Note 2 on several occasions and it certainly is a great device. But for some reason I wouldn't buy it like ever.

#11 Edited by chaplainDMK (6505 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

Just going to point out that while the 1020 is a great phone, it's running a dual core processor, 2 gigs of RAM and no expandable storage, while the Note 3 has a quad core processor, 3 gigs of RAM and SD card slots, along wit the awesome S-pen functionality. Basically if you wan't the insane camera on the 1020, go for it. Also remember that the 1020 is a phone (4,5" screen) while the Note 3 is a phablet (5,7" screen).

Basically the only thing the 1020 currently has over any Android flagship is it's camera, performance wise it's actually inferior to a Galaxy S3 or something around there, certainly can't compete with the Quad Core Snapdragon 600 and 800 rocking Androids. The Note 3 is much more comparable to the Lumia 1520, in size and power.

#12 Posted by i_waaan (46 posts) -

Love my windows phone so much. The OS is miles ahead of everything out there, and it being closed doesn't bother me - I could care less whether my OS is open or not. The new Lumia that was just announced (the 6-inch screen) looks INCREDIBLE. Picking it up come upgrade time in April.

#13 Posted by foxhound_fox (85317 posts) -

Just going to point out that while the 1020 is a great phone, it's running a dual core processor, 2 gigs of RAM and no expandable storage, while the Note 3 has a quad core processor, 3 gigs of RAM and SD card slots, along wit the awesome S-pen functionality. Basically if you wan't the insane camera on the 1020, go for it. Also remember that the 1020 is a phone (4,5" screen) while the Note 3 is a phablet (5,7" screen).

Basically the only thing the 1020 currently has over any Android flagship is it's camera, performance wise it's actually inferior to a Galaxy S3 or something around there, certainly can't compete with the Quad Core Snapdragon 600 and 800 rocking Androids. The Note 3 is much more comparable to the Lumia 1520, in size and power.

I actually did a pretty in depth comparison between the two and weighed all their features against the other based on importance to my experience with a phone. The Note 3 beat the Lumia by a single point. The hardware is a big issue I have with the 1020, as it isn't as "future proof" as the Note 3. Sure, it it'll be great now, but in two years? Not as much.

I have till January to decide, and there could be a spinoff of the Lumia 1520 that is smaller like the 1020, that with the same features and hardware that would make me choose it easily over the Note 3. I am looking for a somewhat larger device, as my experience with a small smartphone has been annoying, given my big fingers and bad eyes.

And another point about the 1520 which is highly desirable to me, is that it will be getting a major overhaul in terms of OS, and I'm not sure if MS will be passing that back to previous devices.

#14 Edited by chaplainDMK (6505 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@chaplainDMK said:

I actually did a pretty in depth comparison between the two and weighed all their features against the other based on importance to my experience with a phone. The Note 3 beat the Lumia by a single point. The hardware is a big issue I have with the 1020, as it isn't as "future proof" as the Note 3. Sure, it it'll be great now, but in two years? Not as much.

I have till January to decide, and there could be a spinoff of the Lumia 1520 that is smaller like the 1020, that with the same features and hardware that would make me choose it easily over the Note 3. I am looking for a somewhat larger device, as my experience with a small smartphone has been annoying, given my big fingers and bad eyes.

And another point about the 1520 which is highly desirable to me, is that it will be getting a major overhaul in terms of OS, and I'm not sure if MS will be passing that back to previous devices.

Well obviously a new flagship smartphone will be released by Nokia, though I'm not sure if the 1020 is considered their "main" flagship right now, since it's basically a 920 with the PureView camera attached. I suspect the next flagship by Nokia will be the 930 or 940, with a 1030 or 1040 version rocking the PureView.

I'd either go for the 1520 or the Note 3, the 1020 is good, but only if you REALLY need that camera, the 1520's camera will probably be pretty much equally spectacular for all intents and purposes unless you are really serious with photography.

The 920/1020 is a good phone but like you said, it's not future proof. It's just underpowered. But I wouldn't actually be worried too much about that, Windows Phone is a very smooth OS and doesn't need the monstrous powerhouses to run smoothly like Android does, so unless you wan't gaming performance, that shouldn't be a problem. Also updates should come for a long time since Microsoft can't really weigh down the system too much in any way.

But in any case, if you are looking at the Note 3 I wouldn't consider the 1020, rather try the 1520, it has comparable internals, size and the camera is still good.

Here's a video comparison of the two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjBUCpA3EIM

#15 Posted by foxhound_fox (85317 posts) -

Well obviously a new flagship smartphone will be released by Nokia, though I'm not sure if the 1020 is considered their "main" flagship right now, since it's basically a 920 with the PureView camera attached. I suspect the next flagship by Nokia will be the 930 or 940, with a 1030 or 1040 version rocking the PureView.

I'd either go for the 1520 or the Note 3, the 1020 is good, but only if you REALLY need that camera, the 1520's camera will probably be pretty much equally spectacular for all intents and purposes unless you are really serious with photography.

The 920/1020 is a good phone but like you said, it's not future proof. It's just underpowered. But I wouldn't actually be worried too much about that, Windows Phone is a very smooth OS and doesn't need the monstrous powerhouses to run smoothly like Android does, so unless you wan't gaming performance, that shouldn't be a problem. Also updates should come for a long time since Microsoft can't really weigh down the system too much in any way.

But in any case, if you are looking at the Note 3 I wouldn't consider the 1020, rather try the 1520, it has comparable internals, size and the camera is still good.

Here's a video comparison of the two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjBUCpA3EIM

Thanks for all the great feedback. I watched a bunch more reviews and comparisons last night (including one pitting the 1020 against the S4) and they pretty much sealed the deal that I want the 1020. I'm not keen on the size of the 1520 (it looks absolutely gargantuan in anyone's hand) and while the Note 3/S4 have the specs, their "ecosystem" seems far too complicated for me (something that drew me to Windows Phone in the first place was the spartan appearance and simplicity and intuitiveness of use).

And while I've never been formally "into" photography, the 1020's camera would open a lot of doors to get me there (like, I play around with all the settings on my 1.3 MP camera on my current phone, and try to take a whole range of different pictures). The idea that I could take lossless panoramas of the scenery I visit for work and just everyday stuff (the low light shots I've seen are gorgeous) is really appealing, and it surprises me how much my interest in a camera is the deciding factor for which phone I choose (and it isn't even because it's 41 MP, it's all the features that come along with it, as I'll likely just be taking 5MP oversampled images most of the time).