Will Obama approve the Keystone XL pipeline?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Poll Will Obama approve the Keystone XL pipeline? (7 votes)

Yes 43%
No 57%

Obama may be able to avoid environmental debate, Keystone pipeline decision

From the article:

[The] State [Department] must conduct analyses of the $7 billion pipeline because it crosses an international boundary.

To do that, the department contracted with leading environmental consulting firm Environmental Resources Management. A draft environmental study of Keystone largely was favorable, finding no significant uptick in greenhouse gas emissions as a result of the project while determining that the pipeline would create tens of thousands of jobs.

But since that draft was released in March, Environmental Resources Management and the State Department’s overall process have come under fire. Critics — led by environmental groups and key House Democrats such as Rep. Raul M. Grijalva of Arizona — point to the fact that Environmental Resources Management is a member company of groups, such as the American Petroleum Institute, that have publicly and aggressively lobbied for Keystone to be built.

An earlier investigation by the State Department found no conflicts, but the ordeal now is getting a second look.

He added that the primary objective of the review is to determine whether State “was effective in assessing potential organizational conflicts of interest” when it chose Environmental Resources Management to perform the environmental review.

TransCanada — along with many in the Canadian government — has been frustrated by the Obama administration’s seemingly endless delays.

Meanwhile, Canada has begun looking for alternatives to get its valuable fuel to market.

On Dec. 19, a three-member review panel recommended that the Canadian government approve a pipeline west to the Pacific Coast, allowing oil to be shipped to burgeoning markets in Asia.

Delay is the name of the game I guess.

• 
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

Given that we have had some oil booms lately without any noticeable change in gas prices (despite more oil and using less gas a country)I have to question whether or not this would bring down prices at any point in the future.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

Given that we have had some oil booms lately without any noticeable change in gas prices (despite more oil and using less gas a country)I have to question whether or not this would bring down prices at any point in the future.

I don't believe that's even part of the argument. From what I've read, economists predict the price differential would be negligible at best.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

TransCanada should just look elsewhere

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

@Serraph105 said:

I don't believe that's even part of the argument. From what I've read, economists predict the price differential would be negligible at best.

This is what I've read as well. Plus its all getting shipped overseas.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

What about the constructions jobs?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

If it harms the environment, I'm personally against it. Besides, we're already America's bitch and I'd much rather we sell our oil to China.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Serraph105

@Master_Live said:

@Serraph105 said:

It's definitely something worth looking into. You do have to weigh the costs vs benefits though, how long are those jobs going to last is another question I have along with how much environmental impact.

I always hear about it adding construction jobs, but I rarely hear the details about how long people will actually have those jobs.Will it be like my current position? Contract jobs that only last for a number of months?I sort of imagine so seeing as how it would be difficult to get a large number of people to pull up roots and slowly move across the country to build more of the pipeline. I imagine it would be more like the pipeline coming to town so people can come have a job for a few months and then you no long will after it's been made.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Master_Live

I think Obama will pass the hot potato to the next president. A republican will approve it, Hillary might, a more liberal democrat probably won't.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

@Serraph105 said:

then why build it?

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#10 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

great! oil in our streets, parks, forest. only to be cover with paper towels and NEVER reported on main stream media....

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mattbbpl

@Serraph105 said:

@Master_Live said:

@Serraph105 said:

It's definitely something worth looking into. You do have to weigh the costs vs benefits though, how long are those jobs going to last is another question I have along with how much environmental impact.

I always hear about it adding construction jobs, but I rarely hear the details about how long people will actually have those jobs.Will it be like my current position? Contract jobs that only last for a number of months?I sort of imagine so seeing as how it would be difficult to get a large number of people to pull up roots and slowly move across the country to build more of the pipeline. I imagine it would be more like the pipeline coming to town so people can come have a job for a few months and then you no long will after it's been made.

The reason you likely haven't seen those figures it because the estimates vary widely based on the source and methods used. Reputable numbers I've seen estimate about 4,000 temporary jobs and 50 or so permanent ones.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mattbbpl

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@mattbbpl said:

@Serraph105 said:

then why build it?

That's a littler hard to ascertain depending on your priorities. There will be a few thousand jobs created to build the pipeline, but they will be temporary. There's some environmental risk and some external risk to other industries (particularly given it's proposed path), but quantifying that risk has proven to be difficult.

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

If it harms the environment, I'm personally against it. Besides, we're already America's bitch and I'd much rather we sell our oil to China.

Not sure how replacing America with China helps/improves anything. As if China gives one shit about Canada........

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Serraph105

@mattbbpl:

So tens of thousands is massive hyperbole. At only around 4000 temp jobs my question about why people are clamoring so loudly about this particular thing. Especially considering that temp jobs are not all that great, benefits tend to be non-existant as is job security.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Master_Live

@limpbizkit818 said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Not sure how replacing America with China helps/improves anything. As if China gives one shit about Canada........

Yep, if someone attacks Canada let the Chinese come to the rescue.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I think he will, he's taken the moderate-right position on domestic energy issues.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mattbbpl

@Serraph105 said:

@mattbbpl:

So tens of thousands is massive hyperbole. At only around 4000 temp jobs my question about why people are clamoring so loudly about this particular thing. Especially considering that temp jobs are not all that great, benefits tend to be non-existant as is job security.

From what I can tell, the clamoring is almost entirely politically based. I'm sure there are some campaign contributions to consider, but even outside of that it would be good politics as it's proven to be very good at riling up the base as they can use it as an example of government getting in the way of the free market utopia.

It really speaks to how shallow our political discourse is at this point time.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

Do you think republicans will oppose it if he does support it?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mattbbpl

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

Do you think republicans will oppose it if he does support it?

Too late at this point. They'll undermine the decision to insinuate the path to the decision was damaging in some way, but they can't turn an entire 360 on it now.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Obama won't pass it.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21  Edited By Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

Would not be surprised if the negative externalities + accounting cost for this thing easily exceed its revenue.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Serraph105

@mattbbpl:

I wouldn't put it pas fox news to give it a shot, they made the shutdown the fault of Obama and the democrats after all.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts

only if warren buffett decides to dump his rail companies, that is the only reason the pipeline was ever a no go.