Wikipedia and Research Papers

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

Lets be honest, in this day of age, how can you NOT use wikipedia? Almost, if not all information on any given page has a citation, so referencing isn't a problem.....Do you use wikipedia to "cheat"? For the record, I don't copy and paste sentences. I do a lot of reading on the page, then go to the citation, and write my own sentences.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Good springboard

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

Wikipedia's a good starting point for high school papers and lazy college freshmen, but you should have no problem whatsoever finding primary or even good secondary sources after your first college-level science class (or even English).

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts

At least for computer science, Wikipedia is one of the best places to get a good breadth/depth on the topic you are researching. Wikipedia is generally so good for computer science topics that most CS professors just point students to wikipedia anyway

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

There are other, more reliable sources such as books, and your school should offer websites such as opposing viewpoints as sources to whatever you're writing about. Wikipedia is a good starter point if you're having trouble with an essay.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it but it's not totally reliable unless your sources are accurate and reliable. Also, Wikipedia is mostly information. If you want to debate on something, especially something obscure than you need other sources.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

I just use a college database, but I have used Wiki.

I don't use Wiki directly, but use Wiki's sources. Turns out a lot of the sources usually overlap with each other when I do papers.

I also prefer to use .Gov websites, or websites associated with some sort of higher order so I don't look like a total dumbass when professor gets all red pen happy. Like when doing medical papers I just use http://www.thelancet.com, which is a medical database were doctors can post their findings anonymously to avoid legal issues, but must verify with the board of committee and prove they actually have a PhD in said field to post.

It's pretty great as doctors can be straight up like...

Clenbuterol + Cocaine = ultra pain killer cocktail and offers performance enhancing abilities in athletes. Things that are generally unethical.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I use Wikipedia for background, to learn generally about the topic I'm writing about. After that I use research papers using digital libraries available through my University like JSTOR ect.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Wikipedia is a good source to find out what resources might exist on a topic that have information on the subject discussed. However, learn to use your library system, some college libraries offer borrowing privileges to the outside public for a fee, and even some chained library systems have good resources store in warehouses and other branches in the system.

HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 HuggyBear1020
Member since 2013 • 467 Posts

For the purpose of formal research, it is only a starting point. Literally anyone with an internet connection can edit it, so the information is notoriously unreliable. You can look at the citations, though, and actually read the sources that the information came from.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

Wikipedia usually cites its information, so I just validate whatever sources they cite and take it from there. There's a mass of information at your disposal, how can you not make use of it?

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lonewolf604

@thegerg said:

@lonewolf604 said:

Lets be honest, in this day of age, how can you NOT use wikipedia? Almost, if not all information on any given page has a citation, so referencing isn't a problem.....Do you use wikipedia to "cheat"? For the record, I don't copy and paste sentences. I do a lot of reading on the page, then go to the citation, and write my own sentences.

"write my own sentences."

Good for you!

xD THANKS

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19568 Posts

Hell no. I only use large stacks of library books in combination with reputable journal articles (plus legislation, cases, government agency reports, etc. for law essays).

I don't think I've used Wikipedia for essays for 5-6 years now. Savvy lecturers would crucify you for it, plus it's simply lazy, it won't help you develop good research skills, and it it's probably a good indication about how little effort you're putting into your work.

I mean, I'd kind of understand using it as a broad introduction to a field if you know absolutely nothing about it...but how often would you really pick essay topics that you know nothing about?

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lonewolf604

^To answer your last sentence, pretty often. I was going to choose something I knew more about, but then I said to myself that would have been to easy. Now I'm regretting it.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

I will use wikipedia to find the sources and then check the sources and cite those

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

In case OP isn't trolling and is simply an idiot:

Wikipedia has sources, sometimes good ones. Use those.

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

@Fightingfan said:

I don't use Wiki directly, but use Wiki's sources. Turns out a lot of the sources usually overlap with each other when I do papers.

I also prefer to use .Gov websites, or websites associated with some sort of higher order so I don't look like a total dumbass when professor gets all red pen happy. Like when doing medical papers I just use http://www.thelancet.com, which is a medical database were doctors can post their findings anonymously to avoid legal issues, but must verify with the board of committee and prove they actually have a PhD in said field to post.

Clenbuterol + Cocaine = ultra pain killer cocktail and offers performance enhancing abilities in athletes. Things that are generally unethical.

Bookmarked.

Edit: Nevermind. I was expecting more advice on how to get high and perform at the top of my game but I didn't see anything else :p

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#18 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

if youre at the university level , taking info directly from Wikipedia is unprofessional , though a few of the links at the bottom of the page sometimes lead to legit academic sources.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

@junglist101 said:

@Fightingfan said:

Bookmarked.

Edit: Nevermind. I was expecting more advice on how to get high and perform at the top of my game but I didn't see anything else :p

Yeah it won't do that. You also need a University ID code, or pay some insane fee.

It's not open to the public completely for free, but you can glance at studies.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

I never at all used Wikipedia in college and I did write several papers back then. The Internet is full of all kinds of research and academic papers for those searching for materials and references. Its not necessarily because Wikipedia sucks for this kind of things (it may do however), but I felt that if I as a university student can't apply myself enough to lookup and grasp research and academic papers and articles written on subjects that I'm studying, then it wouldn't look like I have any sort of a bright future. So it was more of a self-worth thing, and of course a sense of professionalism that too was definitely there. I can be very meticulous when under the impression that my work is going to be viewed or received publicly.

But I use Wikipedia as a gateway to get me interested in a topic and put me on track to start reading on it. Its also useful to understand certain terminologies and to quickly survey any topic like a historical event or a religious doctrine.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

It condenses a lot of information from various viewpoints, so you can very easily get a bunch of articles and sources that give you a really well balanced presentation on a subject.

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts

Wikipedia is fine, it is one of the first places to get updated. Check references and you can't go wrong.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

Honestly not always. The main topics in my most recent research paper had very little information on Wikipedia anyway, and I had to search pretty hard and sift through some journals to find some decent sources.

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts

Try Wikiversity and Google scholar.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Wikipedia is a non-scholarly source. It endeavors to provide a "layman's" encyclopedia of knowledge for the general public, they reject any professional research from actual experts in the field. The reason why teachers and professors do not wish you to use it as a source is because they want you to do your own research, to read primary sources, and not just a basic retelling of a collection of sources.

EnoshimaJunko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 EnoshimaJunko
Member since 2013 • 322 Posts

I use Wikipedia all the time for my papers and such (unless the professor specifically says no Wiki). But I don't rely on it. Gotta get info from other places too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

Well wikipedia at least has some source citations. The college should offer some sort of subscribed database