Wikileaks rats out informants

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

"A torrent of leaked U.S. diplomatic cables obtained by the anti-secrecy group WikiLeaks has been published in the last few days, with at least 170 of them naming sources whose identity was meant to be protected, according to an analysis of the documents by CNN.

Altogether nearly 143,000 of the cables obtained by WikiLeaks last year had been published by Tuesday, out of a total of 251,000 the group says it possesses.

Academics in China, human rights activists in Syria, bankers in Turkey, a Coca-Cola executive in Nepal and British members of Parliament are among dozens of confidential sources named in the cables, which have appeared unredacted on websites such as cablesearch.org."

Apparently wikileaks is stating that they didnt mean for the informants to be exposed. However, for a group that expresses the desire for freedom of information, their actions will likely lead to the suppression of it. These informants most likely will face some kind of serious retribution. Good job, wikileaks. :roll:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/08/31/wikileaks.sources/index.html?hpt=hp_t2" title="http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/08/31/wikileaks.sources/index.html?hpt=hp_t2">link

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Great, now a bunch of those people are going to be dead.

They were being kept a secret for a damn reason. You don't think that other nations don't have informants and spies here in the US? Every major country likes to know what's going on in others, friend or foe. It's good to know.

"Freedom of information" is going to turn into the unnecessary deaths of people just doing a job that every nation employs.

Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Ring_of_fire
Member since 2003 • 15880 Posts
Somehow, I don't believe that the exposure of the names was an accident.......
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Somehow, I don't believe that the exposure of the names was an accident.......Ring_of_fire
I'd agree with that.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
Wow this is a definition of being an a-hole.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
[QUOTE="Ring_of_fire"]Somehow, I don't believe that the exposure of the names was an accident.......foxhound_fox
I'd agree with that.

kind of, no one is THAT stupid.
POPEYE1716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 POPEYE1716
Member since 2003 • 4749 Posts

So wikileaks can get charged with accessory of murder, If any of these informants end up dead?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Wasdie  Moderator

So wikileaks can get charged with accessory of murder, If any of these informants end up dead?

POPEYE1716

I can see that.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#9 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Didn't they threaten with this as they were being hindered by authorities?
Also I am pro-wikileaks as I am pro a world of the sane and honest, total transparency.
Nations won't be able to keep us safe without total transparency and ways to sort information.
On the path to inevitable total transparancy or our destruction, there are bound to be casualties no matter how much I hate it.

This is a dirty job that someone has to do. Now it is wikileaks, but otherwise it would have been someone else. When someone on this planet gets good at nano technology, genetic viri or other advanced technology, we must have total transparency in place or risk human annihilation.

dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

but they are spys they are the bad guys

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
Stay classy Julian.
Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Skittles_McGee
Member since 2008 • 9136 Posts
Kind of mixed towards this. On one hand, there's certainly innocent people that will suffer from this. On the other hand, I feel little sympathy for any disruption this might cause to the governments.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Wasdie  Moderator

dontshackzmii

Spys have always been a necessary evil for any government.

History has shown us countless times that it's smart to know what other countries are really up to. Maybe we could have exposed Nazi germany for what they were before it got crazy out of hand.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

dontshackzmii
Not all of these people were spies. Some were just informing on practices they disliked - trying to make their respective government or institution more transparent.
Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

I'd be freaking out if I were an informant

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#16 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
That was dumb.
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
they have nothing to gain by doing this
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
This is not going to end well. And I don't believe that Wiikileaks "didn't mean for this to happen".
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
What was the reason for them to be kept secret to spy? to extort other governments? to hide human rights violations? because that's some of the kind of things Wikileaks have exposed. If they are kept secret because of stuff like that then I can't say I feel sad for them. More power to Wikileaks and similar efforts!
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

Didn't they threaten with this as they were being hindered by authorities?
Also I am pro-wikileaks as I am pro a world of the sane and honest, total transparency.
Nations won't be able to keep us safe without total transparency and ways to sort information.
On the path to inevitable total transparancy or our destruction, there are bound to be casualties no matter how much I hate it.

This is a dirty job that someone has to do. Now it is wikileaks, but otherwise it would have been someone else. When someone on this planet gets good at nano technology, genetic viri or other advanced technology, we must have total transparency in place or risk human annihilation.

KungfuKitten

There's no excuse for leaking names of informants. Blotting out names of informants doesn't affect the quality of information in a document. Furthermore, none of these cables have yet to really show anything significant that we didn't already know, so essentially wikileaks has just killed hundreds of people over trivial information.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kuraimen
I find it funny that people are already accusing Wikileaks of future deaths that nobody knows even if they are going to happen. I imagine any death will be attributed to Wikileaks now. Chances are the governments are responsible for more deaths by keeping info hidden than Wikileaks will ever be.
DeepSigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DeepSigh
Member since 2011 • 456 Posts

[QUOTE="Ring_of_fire"]Somehow, I don't believe that the exposure of the names was an accident.......foxhound_fox
I'd agree with that.

I'd agree as well. There's something behind it, most likely

Kcube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Kcube
Member since 2003 • 25398 Posts

And in a few days Julian assange is found dead from an apparent suicide.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
What was the reason for them to be kept secret to spy? to extort other governments? to hide human rights violations? because that's some of the kind of things Wikileaks have exposed. If they are kept secret because of stuff like that then I can't say I feel sad for them. More power to Wikileaks and similar efforts!kuraimen
They were the ones reporting the humans rights violations. Now they're likely imprisoned by their respective governments. Efforts like this will result in less flow of information not more. If you kill off all your sources and informants, who's left to report?
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kuraimen
[QUOTE="kuraimen"]What was the reason for them to be kept secret to spy? to extort other governments? to hide human rights violations? because that's some of the kind of things Wikileaks have exposed. If they are kept secret because of stuff like that then I can't say I feel sad for them. More power to Wikileaks and similar efforts!sonicare
They were the ones reporting the humans rights violations. Now they're likely imprisoned by their respective governments. Efforts like this will result in less flow of information not more. If you kill off all your sources and informants, who's left to report?

Where's the evidence to that? sorry if I don't trust the government. The only important things I've seen Wikileaks uncover are human right violations and government manipulations in favor of companies and government agencies.
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

They were the ones reporting the humans rights violations. Now they're likely imprisoned by their respective governments. Efforts like this will result in less flow of information not more. If you kill off all your sources and informants, who's left to report?sonicare

Don't even bother, man.

psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts
It just seems so fitting that Wikileaks would leak confidential data on themselves.
UniverseIX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 UniverseIX
Member since 2011 • 989 Posts
I wonder which government is trying to destroy wikileaks credibility...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

I wonder which government is trying to destroy wikileaks credibility...UniverseIX

All of them. No government likes Wikileaks.

UniverseIX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 UniverseIX

[QUOTE="UniverseIX"]I wonder which government is trying to destroy wikileaks credibility...airshocker

yeah, but which one released the name of informants and then blamed it on wiki leaks?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

yeah, but which one released the name of informants and then blamed it on wiki leaks? UniverseIX

I don't think you understand what happened. Wikileaks released the cables with the informants names in them.

UniverseIX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 UniverseIX

[QUOTE="UniverseIX"]yeah, but which one released the name of informants and then blamed it on wiki leaks? airshocker

I don't think you understand what happened. Wikileaks released the cables with the informants names in them.

'supposedly' I doubt anyone knows what really happened.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

'supposedly' I doubt anyone knows what really happened.UniverseIX

Did you even read what sonicare wrote?

Apparently wikileaks is stating that they didnt mean for the informants to be exposed. However, for a group that expresses the desire for freedom of information, their actions will likely lead to the suppression of it. These informants most likely will face some kind of serious retribution. Good job, wikileaks.sonicare

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127528 Posts

[QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]

Wasdie

Spys have always been a necessary evil for any government.

History has shown us countless times that it's smart to know what other countries are really up to. Maybe we could have exposed Nazi germany for what they were before it got crazy out of hand.

It was never a secret that the Nazi hated Jews...

As for this... I think it is bad that their names got released.
UniverseIX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 UniverseIX

[QUOTE="UniverseIX"]'supposedly' I doubt anyone knows what really happened.airshocker

Did you even read what sonicare wrote?

Apparently wikileaks is stating that they didnt mean for the informants to be exposed. However, for a group that expresses the desire for freedom of information, their actions will likely lead to the suppression of it. These informants most likely will face some kind of serious retribution. Good job, wikileaks.sonicare

I don't think that matters. That's only what were being told.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 kuraimen

[QUOTE="UniverseIX"]I wonder which government is trying to destroy wikileaks credibility...airshocker

Then I'll quote what Wikileaks said: "Dear governments, if you don't want your filth exposed, then stop acting like pigs. Simple"
DeX2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DeX2010
Member since 2010 • 3989 Posts
At the very least they should've blacked out all the names on the informants. The people in Syria, China and Turkey are defintely going to experience a high danger level. But CNN pointing this out isn't making this any better. I agree with Wasdie and TC: Exposing the cables was one thing, but publishing the names and endangering lives was another.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kuraimen
At the very least they should've blacked out all the names on the informants. The people in Syria, China and Turkey are defintely going to experience a high danger level. But CNN pointing this out isn't making this any better. I agree with Wasdie and TC: Exposing the cables was one thing, but publishing the names and endangering lives was another. DeX2010
According to Wikileaks the informant thing is a thing of the mainstream media. They say they didn't expose anyone that wasn't "exposed" before. Most likely governments are trying to discredit them by coming up with made up stuff. This is what Wikileaks twitted WikiLeaks has not released the names of any "informants". The material is unclassified and previously released by mainstream media."

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

I don't think that matters. That's only what were being told.UniverseIX

So what Wikileaks says to us doesn't matter? :lol:

Okay....

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 kuraimen

Poor governments, they are clearly the victims here. They just don't want people to know stuff like this http://news.antiwar.com/2011/08/29/cables-reveal-2006-summary-execution-of-civilian-family-in-iraq/. Wikileaks are clearly terrorists for exposing it.

If you are more interested on what terroristic Wikileaks wants to tell you go directly to the source http://twitter.com/#!/wikileaks

firefluff3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 firefluff3
Member since 2010 • 2073 Posts

What happened to the guy that leaked the "helecopter massacre" video? he was taken to court and I never heard of anything after that, probably being tortured...

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts
I think everyone involved in this is a melon farming booger biscuit. I mean, really, how can these sons-of-bisons do such things!?
Scr00I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Scr00I
Member since 2009 • 1130 Posts

they shouldn't have done it, those people are now scared of possible violence