crazyguy111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By crazyguy111
Member since 2013 • 406 Posts

I don't understand. I was measured to be about 5'9.75 by the doctors. My older brother who is measured at 5'10" was about the same height as me just about 3 months ago. We used to both look about the exact same height just 3 months ago and now when I came back from college he seems noticeably taller than me, like about an inch or over. I grew to about his height about a year ago and now I am shorter than him it seems. He is 24 and a half and I am 20 so I highly doubt he could of grown in 3 months.

The only thing that could of contributed to me shrinking in height would be the fact that I did lots of heavy lifting recently (I have lifted for many years but not so seriously, since I had access to an excellent gym for the first time since transferring to this university), I did lots of walking (I recently transferred to a large public university and my classes are sometimes up to 20 minutes away, took a walking class, plus I take walks sometimes because I took easy classes this semester and have lots of time on my hands) and I stopped sleeping with a pillow in between my legs. This may of shrunk my spine I guess.

Other than that I can't think of any other way that I would shrink. I am not obsessed with height, but this has really annoyed me and kept me for a few hours last night. I am going to refrain from lifting weights for a month and I will begin to sleep with a pillow in between my legs in the night and see what happens.

Thoughts? Has this ever happened to you? any suggestions?

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

@crazyguy111: Probably your Spine is crooked from a bad posture, eazy to get but eazy to prevent!

crazyguy111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 crazyguy111

@dylandr said:

@crazyguy111: Probably your Spine is crooked from a bad posture, eazy to get but eazy to prevent!

I've thought about this and tried to improve my posture, and there is no difference.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Has he grown?

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dylandr

@crazyguy111: Maybe you're a midget and your parents didn't tell you yet!

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

it's totally possible it is not you. More likely than not your brother just had a growth spurt. I grew from 5 ft 9 to 6 ft 1 over one summer in high school. It could have happened to your brother as well.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dylandr

maybe he was wearing shoes while you weren't xD

crazyguy111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 crazyguy111

@horgen said:

Has he grown?

Its possible, but I doubt you can grow much at 24 years of age in 3 months.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dylandr

@crazyguy111: There is a man who was quallified as a midget and as a giant in his lifetime so everything is possible!

crazyguy111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 crazyguy111

@dylandr said:

@crazyguy111: There is a man who was quallified as a midget and as a giant in his lifetime so everything is possible!

lol.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

How tall are you now?

crazyguy111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 crazyguy111

@chaoscougar1 said:

How tall are you now?

I don't know, I haven't measured myself, and I haven't been to the doctors lately. Although I am clearly shorter than my older brother while I used to be his height. Oh well...

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By dylandr

@crazyguy111: Didn't you change class from barbarian to ranger

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14  Edited By chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

@crazyguy111 said:

@chaoscougar1 said:

How tall are you now?

I don't know, I haven't measured myself, and I haven't been to the doctors lately. Although I am clearly shorter than my older brother while I used to be his height. Oh well...

Ah...

crazyguy111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By crazyguy111

@dylandr said:

@crazyguy111: Didn't you change class from barbarian to ranger

no.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

It's possible that your brother has grown and it's possible that you've shrunk. If your nutrition and water intake is subpar, the cartilage disks in your spine will compress, especially if you're regularly dehydrated. As someone else has noted, long term poor posture will also make you shorter.

It's much more likely that your brother experienced late growth than you shrinking at such a young age. That typically doesn't start, in males, until after age 60.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

It's possible you've been hexed.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

The milkman is shorter than your dad.

crazyguy111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 crazyguy111

@raugutcon said:

really?

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 raugutcon

@crazyguy111 said:

@raugutcon said:

really?

Cross my heart.

Kidding aside, you just don´t "shrink", age doesn´t matter either, not even being next of kin counts, there are many genetic, environmental and nutritional variables that affect how a person develops, you and your brother only share half the genes for starters ( only homozygotic twins share the same genes, and even there other variables like nutrition and environment play a role on how the genes express ), so go to a physician to be checked in search for any abnormalities in the spine and the limbs.

crazyguy111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 crazyguy111

@raugutcon said:

@crazyguy111 said:

@raugutcon said:

really?

Cross my heart.

Kidding aside, you just don´t "shrink", age doesn´t matter either, not even being next of kin counts, there are many genetic, environmental and nutritional variables that affect how a person develops, you and your brother only share half the genes for starters ( only homozygotic twins share the same genes, and even there other variables like nutrition and environment play a role on how the genes express ), so go to a physician to be checked in search for any abnormalities in the spine and the limbs.

I see. He probably just had a late growth spurt or something, rare, but I can't think of any other way.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

IIRC, the human body can stretch as much as 2-3 inches when sleeping.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#23  Edited By whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

Either you shrank or he grew. The easiest thing would be for you to have someone measure your height to see if you shrank or not (or ask your brother if you can measure his height).

By heavy lifting do you mean bench presses or do you mean squats? I imagine squatting with a heavy weight could compress your spine. Walking compresses the spine a bit, but when you sleep the spine decompresses, so people are normally at their tallest when they first wake up.

What about your brothers hair, what's it like? I look taller when I haven't had a hair cut in a while since my hair gets puffy.

Also I think there are exercises you can do to get a little bit taller (basically they involve stretching tendons and ligaments that might be tight).

crazyguy111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 crazyguy111

@whipassmt:

@whipassmt said:

Either you shrank or he grew. The easiest thing would be for you to have someone measure your height to see if you shrank or not (or ask your brother if you can measure his height).

By heavy lifting do you mean bench presses or do you mean squats? I imagine squatting with a heavy weight could compress your spine. Walking compresses the spine a bit, but when you sleep the spine decompresses, so people are normally at their tallest when they first wake up.

What about your brothers hair, what's it like? I look taller when I haven't had a hair cut in a while since my hair gets puffy.

Also I think there are exercises you can do to get a little bit taller (basically they involve stretching tendons and ligaments that might be tight).

cool, what kind of stretches are these?

Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

I doubt in this case that you've shrank, he probably just got taller, or you misjudged your height in comparison to his.

With that said, every male in my family has done military service. They've all also shrank. I was around 5'9-5'10 when I joined the Marines, 5 years later I'm 5'8-5'8 1/2. Nowhere close to 5'9.

My dad was 5'11 when he joined the army, he's also 5'8. 20 years of jumping out of planes, three herniated discs in his back, and 20 years of ruck marching shrank him. My uncle was 5'7, now he's barely 5'4.

It happens with strenuous activity.

crazyguy111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By crazyguy111

@-TheSecondSign- said:

I doubt in this case that you've shrank, he probably just got taller, or you misjudged your height in comparison to his.

With that said, every male in my family has done military service. They've all also shrank. I was around 5'9-5'10 when I joined the Marines, 5 years later I'm 5'8-5'8 1/2. Nowhere close to 5'9.

My dad was 5'11 when he joined the army, he's also 5'8. 20 years of jumping out of planes, three herniated discs in his back, and 20 years of ruck marching shrank him. My uncle was 5'7, now he's barely 5'4.

Interesting. Does the height come back?

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 raugutcon

@crazyguy111 said:

@-TheSecondSign- said:

No, once damaged it´s damaged for good.

Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28  Edited By -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

@crazyguy111 said:

@-TheSecondSign- said:

No, I'm pretty sure it has to do with cartilage and other shit in your spine. It happens as you age and do physically strenuous activity. Once it compacts like that, I don't think you get it back.