Why would a dentist wanna know parents social security #?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SolidSnake2011- (524 posts) -

I'm going to a new dentist. Just curious why would they wanna know one of my parents social security number as well as where I work, their number, etc.?

#2 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

Maybe you make payments on braces and decide not to pay so he reports you to the credit bureau.

It also makes you easily summon someone to court.

#3 Posted by SolidSnake2011- (524 posts) -
Maybe you make payments on braces and decide not to pay so he reports you to the credit bureau. Fightingfan
isn't my own social security enough? im in my 20s
#4 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Maybe you make payments on braces and decide not to pay so he reports you to the credit bureau. SolidSnake2011-
isn't my own social security enough? im in my 20s

Guarantor probably. Your credit may not be wholly sufficient to meet their standards.
#5 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
Maybe for insurance/Medicaid.
#7 Posted by VanHelsingBoA64 (5455 posts) -
watch out, he's gonna steal their identity
#8 Posted by DrTrafalgarLaw (4440 posts) -
watch out, he's gonna steal their identityVanHelsingBoA64
False. All a dentist needs to steal an identity are dental records.
#9 Posted by Mafiree (3704 posts) -
Are you on your parent's insurance?
#10 Posted by SolidSnake2011- (524 posts) -
Are you on your parent's insurance?Mafiree
from work
#11 Posted by Mafiree (3704 posts) -
[QUOTE="Mafiree"]Are you on your parent's insurance?SolidSnake2011-
from work

So the insurance policy you are in is in their name....... Fairly obvious why they would want their SS#.
#12 Posted by SolidSnake2011- (524 posts) -
[QUOTE="SolidSnake2011-"][QUOTE="Mafiree"]Are you on your parent's insurance?Mafiree
from work

So the insurance policy you are in is in their name....... Fairly obvious why they would want their SS#.

insurance is from work not parents
#13 Posted by Pirate700 (46462 posts) -

Is this dentist in someones van?

#14 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
[QUOTE="SolidSnake2011-"][QUOTE="Mafiree"][QUOTE="SolidSnake2011-"] from work

Did they ask for it specifically or are you filling out an application(for lack of a better word).
#15 Posted by SolidSnake2011- (524 posts) -
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"][QUOTE="SolidSnake2011-"][QUOTE="Mafiree"] So the insurance policy you are in is in their name....... Fairly obvious why they would want their SS#.

Did they ask for it specifically or are you filling out an application(for lack of a better word).

had to fill out a form
#16 Posted by Pirate700 (46462 posts) -

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"][QUOTE="SolidSnake2011-"] insurance is from work not parentsSolidSnake2011-

had to fill out a form

Did you try asking THEM why they want their SSN?

#17 Posted by Mafiree (3704 posts) -
[QUOTE="SolidSnake2011-"][QUOTE="Mafiree"][QUOTE="SolidSnake2011-"] from work

Don't see why it would be a requirement then. It may have just been on the form for minors and other circumstances (a lot of forms don't have to be filled out anywhere close to completely)
#18 Posted by sonicare (53444 posts) -

Honestly, no one should ask for your ssn but the government. But unfortunately, most places require it or they wont serve you. sucks because identity theft is usually their fault and not yours.

#19 Posted by Pirate700 (46462 posts) -

Honestly, no one should ask for your ssn but the government. But unfortunately, most places require it or they wont serve you. sucks because identity theft is usually their fault and not yours.

sonicare

I've never been asked for my SSN by the dentist.

#20 Posted by sonicare (53444 posts) -

[QUOTE="sonicare"]

Pirate700

I dont think my dentist has it on file, but I know a few doctors offices either ask for it or already have it for some odd reason.
#21 Posted by Pirate700 (46462 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="sonicare"]

sonicare

I dont think my dentist has it on file, but I know a few doctors offices either ask for it or already have it for some odd reason.

I don't recall it even at the doctor's, ever. I think I'd find another Dentist. :P

#22 Posted by THE_DRUGGIE (24961 posts) -

Mine never needed my SSN, but they might need it because of a high amount of illegal immigrant teeth being smuggled in your mouth.

#23 Posted by Pirate700 (46462 posts) -

Mine never needed my SSN, but they might need it because of a high amount of illegal immigrant teeth being smuggled in your mouth.

THE_DRUGGIE

:lol: