Why were teen birth rates so high in the U.S. in the first place?

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Shinobi120 (5570 posts) -

Link.

LOL. It's unbelievable. Back in the 50's &/or 60's & below (from what I've learned), it wasn't like this at all. Today, teen pregnancies have just gone overboard, resulting in more poverty, teen fathers bailing out, etc.

I guess their parents haven't taught these kids birth control or anything of the sort. Just sad. Perhaps I'm wrong here (such as this), & I could be, but...ridiculous.

#2 Posted by konvikt_17 (22254 posts) -

because teens are having sex.

#3 Posted by l4dak47 (6838 posts) -
that's what happens when religion says no to contraceptives.
#4 Posted by ghoklebutter (19327 posts) -

Poverty, lack of reproductive freedom, and abstinence-only sex education.

#5 Posted by PrototypeTheKid (441 posts) -

Link.

LOL. It's unbelievable. Back in the 50's &/or 60's & below (from what I've learned), it wasn't like this at all. Today, teen pregnancies have just gone overboard, resulting in more poverty, teen fathers bailing out, etc.

I guess their parents haven't taught these kids birth control or anything of the sort. Just sad. Perhaps I'm wrong here (such as this), & I could be, but...ridiculous.

Shinobi120
Don't worry, you'll never have to experience this.
#6 Posted by jimkabrhel (15420 posts) -

Poverty, lack of reproductive freedom, and abstinence-only sex education.

ghoklebutter

The push against contraception will only make the problem worse.

#7 Posted by GazaAli (23007 posts) -
Because America is a Godless country where people fvck like rabbits.
#8 Posted by hydralisk86 (8554 posts) -
Because America is a Godless country where people fvck like rabbits.GazaAli
This isn't going to end well...
#9 Posted by l4dak47 (6838 posts) -
wut. I wish that was the case but it isn't.
#10 Posted by sexyweapons (5302 posts) -

:o we're second

#11 Posted by Shinobi120 (5570 posts) -

Don't worry, you'll never have to experience this.PrototypeTheKid

I know, because I was born in 1982. :)

#12 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13101 posts) -

People used to get married in their mid-teens, sometimes earlier. Hell, before a little over a century ago, most people were married off as soon as they became sexually aware.

You can put off getting married, but you aren't going to put most people off of having sex. You can only fight nature so far.

#13 Posted by GazaAli (23007 posts) -
[QUOTE="hydralisk86"][QUOTE="GazaAli"] This isn't going to end well...

[QUOTE="GazaAli"]Because America is a Godless country where people fvck like rabbits.l4dak47

Its true. So much rape in America too.
#14 Posted by PrototypeTheKid (441 posts) -

[QUOTE="PrototypeTheKid"]Don't worry, you'll never have to experience this.Shinobi120

That and you believe **** from tumblr.
#15 Posted by jimkabrhel (15420 posts) -

[QUOTE="hydralisk86"][QUOTE="GazaAli"] [QUOTE="l4dak47"][QUOTE="GazaAli"]Because America is a Godless country where people fvck like rabbits.GazaAli

We're a completely immoral country that fornicate and rape each other at will?

That's news to me.

#16 Posted by GazaAli (23007 posts) -

[QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="hydralisk86"] wut. I wish that was the case but it isn't. jimkabrhel

We're a completely immoral country that fornicate and rape each other at will?

That's news to me.

Its all in statistics, google them.
#17 Posted by l4dak47 (6838 posts) -
[QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="hydralisk86"][QUOTE="GazaAli"]
[QUOTE="GazaAli"]Because America is a Godless country where people fvck like rabbits.l4dak47

[citation needed]
#18 Posted by Storm_Marine (11147 posts) -

that's what happens when religion says no to contraceptives. l4dak47

So these teenage kids are fine with premarital sex but contraceptives are taboo to them? <_<

#19 Posted by l4dak47 (6838 posts) -

[QUOTE="l4dak47"]that's what happens when religion says no to contraceptives. Storm_Marine

So these teenage kids are fine with premarital sex but contraceptives are taboo to them? <_<

yep.
#20 Posted by Storm_Marine (11147 posts) -

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

[QUOTE="l4dak47"]that's what happens when religion says no to contraceptives. l4dak47

yep.

>_>

#21 Posted by GazaAli (23007 posts) -
[QUOTE="l4dak47"][QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="hydralisk86"] wut. I wish that was the case but it isn't.

[citation needed]

Not in this instance. There are facts in life we just know.
#22 Posted by sexyweapons (5302 posts) -
I don't know how rabbits fvck,but if my hunch is correct it wouldn't get teenage girls pregnant
#23 Posted by 2saugat (1439 posts) -

becauses sloots gonna sloot, very few women out there these days who are not sloots.

#24 Posted by General_X (9032 posts) -
I understand the overall premise of the chart, but it's missing a key of what those numbers actually mean, makes me a little dubious.
#25 Posted by GazaAli (23007 posts) -
[QUOTE="GazaAli"]Because America is a Godless country where people fvck like rabbits.sexyweapons
I don't know how rabbits fvck,but if my hunch is correct it wouldn't get teenage girls pregnant

rabbits are known to frequent pregnancy and high delivery rate. Here in Gaza, when we want to describe a couple who have so many kids with close ages, we say "lol she concepts like rabbits".
#26 Posted by General_X (9032 posts) -
[QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="l4dak47"][QUOTE="GazaAli"] Its true. So much rape in America too.

[citation needed]

You'd have to roll back to the medieval ages to find a time where that line of reasoning was accepted as fact.
#27 Posted by l4dak47 (6838 posts) -
[QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="l4dak47"][QUOTE="GazaAli"] Its true. So much rape in America too.

[citation needed]

Ah, so if I were to claim that a fact we all just know is that all Muslims are inherently violent, that would be fine with you?
#28 Posted by GazaAli (23007 posts) -
ITT, some got trolled hard. I'm sorry :(
#29 Posted by l4dak47 (6838 posts) -
[QUOTE="GazaAli"]ITT, some got trolled hard. I'm sorry :(

mhm. Assuming this isn't just a way to save face, then I accept it. You can never tell who is being serious here.
#30 Posted by GazaAli (23007 posts) -
[QUOTE="l4dak47"][QUOTE="GazaAli"]ITT, some got trolled hard. I'm sorry :(

mhm. Assuming this isn't just a way to save face, then I accept it. You can never tell who is being serious here.

Someone with such views wouldn't be saving face since he would see himself as a hero lol. I was going to continue but then I felt bad about it,
#31 Posted by the_ChEeSe_mAn2 (8464 posts) -
Lack of education in regards to sexuality, contraceptives and the stigma of going out buying contraceptives. Seriously, I've had friends in high school who were eager to do it any time but became timid and nervous when it came to going out and buying condoms/birth control pills...what gives?
#32 Posted by sexyweapons (5302 posts) -
[QUOTE="sexyweapons"][QUOTE="GazaAli"]Because America is a Godless country where people fvck like rabbits.GazaAli

rabbits are known to frequent pregnancy and high delivery rate. Here in Gaza, when we want to describe a couple who have so many kids with close ages, we say "lol she concepts like rabbits".

LOL oh I see
#33 Posted by Shinobi120 (5570 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shinobi120"]

[QUOTE="PrototypeTheKid"]Don't worry, you'll never have to experience this.PrototypeTheKid

That and you believe **** from tumblr.

Never heard of them.

#34 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

Bad parenting.

#35 Posted by tab134 (345 posts) -

first of all this chart is **** theres no real facts put into it. second, america has more people/teens than any of those on the list. third, humans are programmed for sex. forth, over half of americans are 'pro-life' so if their 16 year old gets knocked up they enforce it upon them. last, right now in america, teenage birthrates are at an all time low.

#36 Posted by N30F3N1X (8002 posts) -

that's what happens when religion says no to contraceptives. l4dak47

Idiotic and childish answer. If you want to troll at least you should try to say something hilarious.

On topic, it's a matter of mindset. If you had some insight you'd see almost every entertainment product made for the masses contains either violence or sexual innuendos. Why did this happen, I have no idea.

#37 Posted by l4dak47 (6838 posts) -

[QUOTE="l4dak47"]that's what happens when religion says no to contraceptives. N30F3N1X

Idiotic and childish answer. If you want to troll at least you should try to say something hilarious.

On topic, it's a matter of mindset. If you had some insight you'd see almost every entertainment product made for the masses contains either violence or sexual innuendos. Why did this happen, I have no idea.

What exactly is false about my post?
#38 Posted by General_X (9032 posts) -
Also as a sidenote, I was under the impression that teen pregnancy rates were actually dropping for several decades but at the same time it also has become much more visible and "accepted". Edit: Yep, we hit a record low for teen pregnancy rates in America in 2005: http://www.thenationalcampaign.org/resources/pdf/TBR_1940-2006.pdf
#39 Posted by dercoo (12555 posts) -

Like many problems in the US it ties back to poor public education.

#40 Posted by leviathan91 (7763 posts) -

It's because of the gays and the abortionists.

People used to get married in their mid-teens, sometimes earlier. Hell, before a little over a century ago, most people were married off as soon as they became sexually aware.

You can put off getting married, but you aren't going to put most people off of having sex. You can only fight nature so far.

br0kenrabbit

This is true but I imagine things were simpler back then in terms of costs.

#41 Posted by KiIIyou (27146 posts) -

Like many problems in the US it ties back to poor public education.

dercoo
They didn't have that kind of education in the 50s. ;p
#42 Posted by N30F3N1X (8002 posts) -

[QUOTE="N30F3N1X"]

[QUOTE="l4dak47"]that's what happens when religion says no to contraceptives. l4dak47

Christians churches say no to contraceptives all over the world. Yet it's only the USA that has such high birth rates. Not only that, following religious cults is something very few teens do anymore.

Besides, contraceptive pills are a, how would you say it, "limiter" of the problem's effects. If you want to blame a problem on something you blame the roots, not the branches.

When people (teens too) used to be much more religious, teen birth rates were nonexistant.

Something smells fishy in all of this, doesn't it?

You said in another thread you're studying for a accounting major, am I correct? Don't they teach you statistical inference in any of your courses?

#43 Posted by Blue-Sky (10333 posts) -

[QUOTE="l4dak47"][QUOTE="N30F3N1X"]

N30F3N1X

Christians churches say no to contraceptives all over the world. Yet it's only the USA that has such high birth rates. Not only that, following religious cults is something very few teens do anymore.

Majority of western nations are have universal health care with free contraception. (also, U.S. is obscenely more religious in both practice and preaching than all of Europe.)

U.S. doesn't and makes it even more difficult for teen women to obtain. Multiple researchs conclude that Obamacare's birth control mandate could reduce teen pregnancy and abortion by 80%

#44 Posted by General_X (9032 posts) -

N30F3N1X

Besides, contraceptive pills are a, how would you say it, "limiter" of the problem's effects. If you want to blame a problem on something you blame the roots, not the branches.

When people (teens too) used to be much more religious, teen birth rates were nonexistant.

You said in another thread you're studying for a accounting major, am I correct? Don't they teach you statistical inference in any of your courses?

One also has to wonder the accuracy of the reported teen birthrates globally...
#45 Posted by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

I seriously dont know why you would want to have kids under 25. Well I guess its the santanic culture they brought up in, where everything is hyping up sex.

#46 Posted by Blue-Sky (10333 posts) -

I seriously dont know why you would want to have kids under 25. Well I guess its the santanic culture they brought up in, where everything is hyping up sex.

ultimate-k

Have you ever had sex?

#47 Posted by megagene (23016 posts) -
I blame the internet.
#48 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

Which is why Gaza, being a God-fearing country, has one of the lowest birth rates in the world.

#49 Posted by l4dak47 (6838 posts) -

N30F3N1X

You fail to take into account that the U.S. is probably the most religious first world nation.
#50 Posted by GazaAli (23007 posts) -

[QUOTE="GazaAli"]Because America is a Godless country where people fvck like rabbits.coolbeans90

Which is why Gaza, being a God-fearing country, has one of the lowest birth rates in the world.

hurrr durrr :lol: