why many people are becoming atheists nowadays ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#351 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Excuses. Atheism doesn't teach you to do good the way that religion does. So i think people turn to it as an excuse to live life without moral restrictions. 

dissonantblack

I think your parents are supposed to teach you to do good

The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#352 The_Lipscomb
Member since 2013 • 2603 Posts

My religion is I don't know.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#353 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Excuses. Atheism doesn't teach you to do good the way that religion does. So i think people turn to it as an excuse to live life without moral restrictions. 

dissonantblack

Religion just might be the biggest excuse for blind hate in the modern world. :lol

BTW, if you need the idea that being bad will get you punished by some all-seing beard man in the sky to actually go and be a good person, then you are in fact a pretty shitty person.

Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#354 Buckhannah
Member since 2013 • 715 Posts

dissonantblack
So then why are divorce rates, crime rates, (up to and including murder and rape) teen sex, teen pregnancy, and abortion rates higher in more religious areas?
whitetiger3521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#355 whitetiger3521
Member since 2005 • 4686 Posts

Because they are blind to their own reality. God is there for anyone who truly seeks from their whole mind and heart. It's not about proving that God exists it's more about rejecting God. People blame God for death and any other bad things that happens to them and say "If God was real things like this would not happen". Yet they are ingorant on why things like that happen. It takes alot of research and knowledge to come to the truth and atheist just dont have the "time" to do that.

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#356 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

New Atheism is a fad thats coming to an end but also been exposed as actually hateful. I think more people are irreligious.GulliversTravel

i'm inclined to agree here.

Think most average joe/jane is simply irreligious. not that they have a firm disbelief in anything supernatural (and sometimes where they wanna wage 'war' with the religious). It's just that the domain of religion does not register nor hold nearly as much as sway as it once did.

I mean i would say Irreligion is growing fast, seconded by superficiality of religion, then moderate then zealots.

Just based on my categorizing, by superficiality i mean the joe/jane who whenever it suits them decides to enforce a religious belief/doctrine, or practice like celebrate Eid, Hanukkah or Christmas, but cannot even quote you from their books, and almost never (or ever) got prayer services.  then moderate are the folks who have some belief, do practice it out but compromise it with the modern world they live in. then you got the zealots, range from your Muslim guy in a cave plotting, the crazy Jew in Israel forcing women to cover up like it's 1000 BC, etc. etc. but that's just my thought.

whitetiger3521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#357 whitetiger3521
Member since 2005 • 4686 Posts

[QUOTE="GulliversTravel"]New Atheism is a fad thats coming to an end but also been exposed as actually hateful. I think more people are irreligious.SaudiFury

Think most average joe/jane is simply irreligious. not that they have a firm disbelief in anything supernatural (and sometimes where they wanna wage 'war' with the religious). It's just that the domain of religion does not register nor hold nearly as much as sway as it once did.

I mean i would say Irreligion is growing fast, seconded by superficiality of religion, then moderate then zealots.

Just based on my categorizing, by superficiality i mean the joe/jane who whenever it suits them decides to enforce a religious belief/doctrine, or practice like celebrate Eid, Hanukkah or Christmas, but cannot even quote you from their books, and almost never (or ever) got prayer services. then moderate are the folks who have some belief, do practice it out but compromise it with the modern world they live in. then you got the zealots, range from your Muslim guy in a cave plotting, the crazy Jew in Israel forcing women to cover up like it's 1000 BC, etc. etc. but that's just my thought.

You don't need "religion" to find God. Everyone has the abiliity to seek out God for him/herself. Many people look at religion and are turned off. It's understandable but to straight up reject God because of certain religious beliefs is not the way to go.

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#358 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

[QUOTE="SaudiFury"]

[QUOTE="GulliversTravel"]New Atheism is a fad thats coming to an end but also been exposed as actually hateful. I think more people are irreligious.whitetiger3521

Just based on my categorizing, by superficiality i mean the joe/jane who whenever it suits them decides to enforce a religious belief/doctrine, or practice like celebrate Eid, Hanukkah or Christmas, but cannot even quote you from their books, and almost never (or ever) got prayer services. then moderate are the folks who have some belief, do practice it out but compromise it with the modern world they live in. then you got the zealots, range from your Muslim guy in a cave plotting, the crazy Jew in Israel forcing women to cover up like it's 1000 BC, etc. etc. but that's just my thought.

You don't need "religion" to find God. Everyone has the abiliity to seek out God for him/herself. Many people look at religion and are turned off. It's understandable but to straight up reject God because of certain religious beliefs is not the way to go.

sigh... for the sake of avoiding another pointless religious debate on the internet. Clearly i was speaking in general terms. I know you don't have to find God in religion, you can find he/she/it without having a set of doctrine beliefs and stories. I know that very well. Perhaps you missed my point of my post.
Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#359 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

Lol asking that question in a video game forum.

FuggaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#360 FuggaJ
Member since 2012 • 318 Posts

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]To say it's more about society than religion is a distinction without a difference. And what benefit is there to demonizing individuals? I don't hate homophobes, I just hate homophobia. Homophobes of all stripes are victims - they're victims of a culture that says at it's best it's OK to hate gay people and at it's worst that you should hate gay people, and at least for today religion is the primary promoter of that culture - maybe that will change tomorrow but we're stuck in the present. Bigoted views are a virus, without figuratively tearing down the social institutions that promote that culture and distribute that virus throughout the public, blaming individuals for widely held beliefs doesn't accomplish anything. There's a reason why these views are widespread, if you cut off the head the body will die. MrGeezer
Apparently you don't get it at all. Someone earlier said something like, "atheists are more likely to have read the Bible than Christians, that's precisely why they're atheists." That's confirmation that there's nothing dangerous about Christianity. The ideas and concepts present aren't particularly infectious or corrupting, or else it wouldn't be turning so many people away from christianity. Anything dangerous about it is entirely social. It's entirely about people interacting with other people in order to achieve some desired result. Getting rid of religion doesn't amount to "cutting off the head", because the religion is being used as just a tool. Religion or no religion, people's agenda remains the same. They're still working towards the same goal, whether that's marginalizing a certain group, putting themselves in a position of power, or simply duping people out of their money. Removing religion simply removes one of the potential tools they have at their disposal, they can still resort to such classics as nationalism or politics. At best, all you could argue is that religion is maybe the best tool for manipulating people, but "cutting off the head" is a totally incorrect statement. It's more like taking away someone's gun and then just hoping he can't find another one. If you want to "cut off the head", then you find who is promoting homophobia, identify who they're selling the idea to, and identifying what they intend to get out of it. You demonize individuals because individuals are the ones propagating racism and homophobia for personal gain. Homophobia doesn't promote itself, it needs a human agent.

The point is religion gives people false justification because others say oh you can't criticize someones belief. I'm not saying it's not criticized at all, what I'm saying is because of being scared of ridiculing ridiculous beliefs people can and will do terrible things because of those beliefs. No holy book even gets close to perfect by todays moral standards.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#361 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Because they are blind to their own reality. God is there for anyone who truly seeks from their whole mind and heart. It's not about proving that God exists it's more about rejecting God. People blame God for death and any other bad things that happens to them and say "If God was real things like this would not happen". Yet they are ingorant on why things like that happen. It takes alot of research and knowledge to come to the truth and atheist just dont have the "time" to do that.

whitetiger3521

-2/10

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#362 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
The point is religion gives people false justification because others say oh you can't criticize someones belief. I'm not saying it's not criticized at all, what I'm saying is because of being scared of ridiculing ridiculous beliefs people can and will do terrible things because of those beliefs. No holy book even gets close to perfect by todays moral standards.FuggaJ
Why blame the holy books when it's the failure of humanity that corrupts and distorts teachings? Why square the blame on religion even when you acknowledge that people only use it as much of an excuse to commit atrocities as any ideal such as Liberty, Communism and Nationalism? People will commit terrible acts for selfish reasons, they'll use any ideal as an excuse to justify their actions.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#363 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

The point is religion gives people false justification because others say oh you can't criticize someones belief. I'm not saying it's not criticized at all, what I'm saying is because of being scared of ridiculing ridiculous beliefs people can and will do terrible things because of those beliefs. No holy book even gets close to perfect by todays moral standards.

FuggaJ
The point is that focusing on religion (even if you're critical of it and hate the religion) is precisely what allows people to get away with using religion as a tool to manipulate and divide. It's focusing attention and blame away from the user and onto the tool. It's precisely the same as when some dude shoots up a school or a mall, and then the media and politicians start talking about guns and video games. We can cut through the bull$*** and see how much that's just a distraction, but we can't do the same thing here? Seriously? For the most part, the problem ISN'T the religion. There's nothing in there which inherently causes bloodshed or intolerance. You can read the texts and listen to the sermons, but you're not gonna convert unless you're already looking for something to convert to. People don't just arbitrarily pick a religion and then adopt its values, it's more like people go with the religion that most closely lines up with the values and beliefs that they already have. And even then, a $***load of people manage to follow the religion without becoming raging bigots, so what's your excuse? This is especially true when talking about things like christianity in the USA, where most followers are casual as $*** about it and only follow the parts that are convenient or that they already agree with. Homophobic text? Okay. But stopping there and damning the religion for causing homophobia is shallow as $***. We ought to be asking why, out of the entire Bible, people choose to selectively adopt the homophobic parts while discarding so much of the rest of it. Why is that the part that they're focusing on and making a big deal about? Whose agenda is that serving, what is that agenda? Who the hell decided to use religion in order to spread homophobia, and what is their interest in trying to convince casual Christians that homosexuality is one of the things that they must oppose as decent Christians? That's what we SHOULD be talking about, yet somehow we never get around to it. Why? Because every time someone does some bad $*** in the name of religion, we just sit there and condemn the religion instead of putting a microscope to the motives and agendas of the people using that religion. Someone does something awful in the name of religion and we just go "OMG, religion bad!" It's EXACTLY the same as the $***storm of scapegoating that people do every time someone grabs a gun and shoots up a school or a church.
FuggaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#364 FuggaJ
[QUOTE="hiphops_savior"][QUOTE="FuggaJ"] Why blame the holy books when it's the failure of humanity that corrupts and distorts teachings? Why square the blame on religion even when you acknowledge that people only use it as much of an excuse to commit atrocities as any ideal such as Liberty, Communism and Nationalism? People will commit terrible acts for selfish reasons, they'll use any ideal as an excuse to justify their actions.

I hate to do it but I'm gonna have to go with a Dawkins quote "In a world without religion there will be good people doing good things, and bad people doing bad things. For a good person to do something wicked that takes religion." I blame the books because just like bad people who use it as justification for bad deeds, good people cherry pick all the nice and loving parts and ignore all the shit. I hate when people see any 'holy' book as some infallible truth until it doesn't quite fit their morals and then out comes the mental gymnastics to interpret it so it's not as bad. It's an archaic tool no longer necessary to keep alive thats my only problem.
[QUOTE="FuggaJ"]

MrGeezer
The point is that focusing on religion (even if you're critical of it and hate the religion) is precisely what allows people to get away with using religion as a tool to manipulate and divide. It's focusing attention and blame away from the user and onto the tool. It's precisely the same as when some dude shoots up a school or a mall, and then the media and politicians start talking about guns and video games. We can cut through the bull$*** and see how much that's just a distraction, but we can't do the same thing here? Seriously? For the most part, the problem ISN'T the religion. There's nothing in there which inherently causes bloodshed or intolerance. You can read the texts and listen to the sermons, but you're not gonna convert unless you're already looking for something to convert to. People don't just arbitrarily pick a religion and then adopt its values, it's more like people go with the religion that most closely lines up with the values and beliefs that they already have. And even then, a $***load of people manage to follow the religion without becoming raging bigots, so what's your excuse? This is especially true when talking about things like christianity in the USA, where most followers are casual as $*** about it and only follow the parts that are convenient or that they already agree with. Homophobic text? Okay. But stopping there and damning the religion for causing homophobia is shallow as $***. We ought to be asking why, out of the entire Bible, people choose to selectively adopt the homophobic parts while discarding so much of the rest of it. Why is that the part that they're focusing on and making a big deal about? Whose agenda is that serving, what is that agenda? Who the hell decided to use religion in order to spread homophobia, and what is their interest in trying to convince casual Christians that homosexuality is one of the things that they must oppose as decent Christians? That's what we SHOULD be talking about, yet somehow we never get around to it. Why? Because every time someone does some bad $*** in the name of religion, we just sit there and condemn the religion instead of putting a microscope to the motives and agendas of the people using that religion. Someone does something awful in the name of religion and we just go "OMG, religion bad!" It's EXACTLY the same as the $***storm of scapegoating that people do every time someone grabs a gun and shoots up a school or a church.

I'm with you on blaming the individuals but the way I see it blaming the religion is also necessary. Only under the guise of religion can pedophiles be protected, children can be neglected medicine, and people kicked from their homes and slaughtered due to some 'divine' right.
GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#365 GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

[QUOTE="Mrmedia01"]Most everything had to be created by a creator.

The only one that could have done and started all this would be a GOD of some kind.

Its FACT no denying that, Pure science, cant go far enough to explain who created the seed of this universe. Someone did.... Who? GOD DID MOFOS 100%, a higher power did.

You don't believe in the Bible or Religion thats fine, but we had to have some sort of Creator to plant the seed to the start of this.worlock77

So what created God?

rofl! he is the uncreated, he has no creator, if you keep asking who created him, then who created the one who created him? it will go on forever and hence you deny creation and deny yourself.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#366 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178838 Posts
I'm with you on blaming the individuals but the way I see it blaming the religion is also necessary. Only under the guise of religion can pedophiles be protected, children can be neglected medicine, and people kicked from their homes and slaughtered due to some 'divine' right.FuggaJ
You are blaming religion when the blame lies with specific individuals. Rather short sighted of you.....
PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#367 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

Because science has more evidence and isn't just based on things that people can't see or hear.

Thats why I don't believe in god anyway.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#368 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
People put faith in something but that something doesn't work for them so they lose faith. Also the church really is not helping give religion a good name. If the supposed representatives of God are surrounded by corruption then people start questioning stuff. And more things like that. The most educated countries are more secular for a reason, normally educated people don't need a religion telling them what's good and what's bad they can figure that out for themselves. Then again many atheists sometimes act very religious-like.
FuggaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#369 FuggaJ
[QUOTE="FuggaJ"]I'm with you on blaming the individuals but the way I see it blaming the religion is also necessary. Only under the guise of religion can pedophiles be protected, children can be neglected medicine, and people kicked from their homes and slaughtered due to some 'divine' right.LJS9502_basic
You are blaming religion when the blame lies with specific individuals. Rather short sighted of you.....

I didn't say the individuals weren't to blame. What I'm saying is as an institution religion is responsible for some pretty heinous shit on a larger scale than just personal levels and should be done away with. The way I see it it's short sighted to say "Just blame that guy he's not a reeeal 'insert denomination here'." The problem is the person combined with religious influence. Neither one should be above being held accountable.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#370 LJS9502_basic  Online
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="FuggaJ"]I'm with you on blaming the individuals but the way I see it blaming the religion is also necessary. Only under the guise of religion can pedophiles be protected, children can be neglected medicine, and people kicked from their homes and slaughtered due to some 'divine' right.FuggaJ

I didn't say the individuals weren't to blame. What I'm saying is as an institution religion is responsible for some pretty heinous shit on a larger scale than just personal levels and should be done away with. The way I see it it's short sighted to say "Just blame that guy he's not a reeeal 'insert denomination here'." The problem is the person combined with religious influence. Neither one should be above being held accountable.

Again.....it's the individuals that are to blame. You keep missing that point.
GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#371 GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

[QUOTE="FuggaJ"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] You are blaming religion when the blame lies with specific individuals. Rather short sighted of you.....LJS9502_basic

so whats your view on Islam?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#372 LJS9502_basic  Online

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="FuggaJ"] I didn't say the individuals weren't to blame. What I'm saying is as an institution religion is responsible for some pretty heinous shit on a larger scale than just personal levels and should be done away with. The way I see it it's short sighted to say "Just blame that guy he's not a reeeal 'insert denomination here'." The problem is the person combined with religious influence. Neither one should be above being held accountable.GrayF0X786

so whats your view on Islam?

You don't pay attention to my posts do you? I don't agree with Islam....but I don't paint all Muslims as terrorists nor violent. There are good and bad in every group....adherents to Islam are no exception.
FuggaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#373 FuggaJ
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="FuggaJ"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] You are blaming religion when the blame lies with specific individuals. Rather short sighted of you.....

No I think you're the one missing it. So here it is simplified: Religion is shit, any good that comes from it doesn't outweigh the bad. It's useless in the modern world and we should get rid of it because it, in reality, serves no other purpose than to give people justification for shitty morals.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#374 LJS9502_basic  Online
[QUOTE="FuggaJ"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="FuggaJ"] I didn't say the individuals weren't to blame. What I'm saying is as an institution religion is responsible for some pretty heinous shit on a larger scale than just personal levels and should be done away with. The way I see it it's short sighted to say "Just blame that guy he's not a reeeal 'insert denomination here'." The problem is the person combined with religious influence. Neither one should be above being held accountable.

No I think you're the one missing it. So here it is simplified: Religion is shit, any good that comes from it doesn't outweigh the bad. It's useless in the modern world and we should get rid of it because it, in reality, serves no other purpose than to give people justification for shitty morals.

Your post is shit. That's not true in the least. The vast MAJORITY of religious people are living decent peaceful lives just the same as non religious. To believe the loud MINORITY is the face of a religion is ignorant, naive, close minded, and frankly rather stupid. Take any group you want......there are terrible people within that group. That doesn't mean they all are. You are as much a problem with your intolerance as you make the religious out to be. In effect....you are the reason we have problems within groups. The vile idea that one is superior to others and they should bow to your ideas.
FuggaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#375 FuggaJ
[QUOTE="FuggaJ"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Again.....it's the individuals that are to blame. You keep missing that point.LJS9502_basic

Your post is shit. That's not true in the least. The vast MAJORITY of religious people are living decent peaceful lives just the same as non religious. To believe the loud MINORITY is the face of a religion is ignorant, naive, close minded, and frankly rather stupid. Take any group you want......there are terrible people within that group. That doesn't mean they all are. You are as much a problem with your intolerance as you make the religious out to be. In effect....you are the reason we have problems within groups. The vile idea that one is superior to others and they should bow to your ideas.

Hit a sore spot did I? I never said the bad is in the majority, again you missed the point. They can be decent people without the nonsensical fairy tales. It is a POINTLESS (I can use caps lock too) remnant of the past. Let it go and stop being a fool...
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#376 LJS9502_basic  Online

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="FuggaJ"]No I think you're the one missing it. So here it is simplified: Religion is shit, any good that comes from it doesn't outweigh the bad. It's useless in the modern world and we should get rid of it because it, in reality, serves no other purpose than to give people justification for shitty morals. FuggaJ

Hit a sore spot did I? I never said the bad is in the majority, again you missed the point. They can be decent people without the nonsensical fairy tales. It is a POINTLESS (I can use caps lock too) remnant of the past. Let it go and stop being a fool...

No I just dislike bigotry. And you're a bigot. You are part of the problem....not the solution.

FuggaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#377 FuggaJ

[QUOTE="FuggaJ"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Your post is shit. That's not true in the least. The vast MAJORITY of religious people are living decent peaceful lives just the same as non religious. To believe the loud MINORITY is the face of a religion is ignorant, naive, close minded, and frankly rather stupid. Take any group you want......there are terrible people within that group. That doesn't mean they all are. You are as much a problem with your intolerance as you make the religious out to be. In effect....you are the reason we have problems within groups. The vile idea that one is superior to others and they should bow to your ideas.LJS9502_basic

No I just hate bigots. And you're a bigot. The reason we have war is intolerance.

Yeah you got me there, dud. I was all for promoting war until you said that. Just because I don't respect a farcical system of belief doesn't make me a bigot by the way ;)

EDIT: Am I a bigot for thinking people that believe the earth is 6000 years old are wrong?

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#379 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

whitetiger3521
...... "Takes alot of research and truth" yet believes in something he was TOLD as a kid with no research or truth. The hypocrisy of your statement stems to the fact that whenever you indoctrination morons are asked the question "why has God developed us this way?" you morons reply with "His wisdom is infiinite, works in mysterious ways" ..... f*ck off seriously its more like "We don't know whats real more than anyone else on this planet so basically - we don't know. because we dont know if hes even real we just like to think he is"
Avatar image for jesuschristmonk
jesuschristmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#380 jesuschristmonk
Member since 2009 • 3308 Posts

dissonantblack

Mfw I probably do more good deeds, and respect most people better than most religious people (I'm technically an atheist by the way) lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#381 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="Mrmedia01"]Most everything had to be created by a creator.

The only one that could have done and started all this would be a GOD of some kind.

Its FACT no denying that, Pure science, cant go far enough to explain who created the seed of this universe. Someone did.... Who? GOD DID MOFOS 100%, a higher power did.

You don't believe in the Bible or Religion thats fine, but we had to have some sort of Creator to plant the seed to the start of this.GrayF0X786

So what created God?

rofl! he is the uncreated, he has no creator, if you keep asking who created him, then who created the one who created him? it will go on forever and hence you deny creation and deny yourself.

..... the idea of endless loop is very plausible....... being created does not mean you was "created" by an intelligent being..... especially one who is apparently the creator of the universe and made such a broken species like us. Its like if you religeous people like the idea of some guy in the sky making you flawed, putting you on a planet for 50-100 years to follow rules then get thrown into the naughty or good pile because "mysterious reasons" and accepting such a ill thought out reality. As an agnostic even if there is a god, who says he even cares whats happening? what if he/she/it is dead.... long gone...... or doesn't even know we exist? what if we are the equivilant to some bacteria found on humans that he doesn't even really care is there and is just part of a much bigger cycle. or you know... none of this is correct and we were created by a looped chain of events not caused by a sentient being.... But yea, control mechanisms and superstition created by 1000s of generations of ill educated ancestors with no proof other than their own manipulated writings sounds legit.
Avatar image for jesuschristmonk
jesuschristmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#382 jesuschristmonk
Member since 2009 • 3308 Posts

The_Lipscomb
Fvcking /thread.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#383 LJS9502_basic  Online
Yeah you got me there, dud. I was all for promoting war until you said that. Just because I don't respect a farcical system of belief doesn't make me a bigot by the way ;)

EDIT: Am I a bigot for thinking people that believe the earth is 6000 years old are wrong?FuggaJ
Straw man. Which doesn't change the fact that you're a bigot.:)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#384 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

[QUOTE="The_Lipscomb"]

jesuschristmonk

Fvcking /thread.

Apparently not, because your either a "HipsterTeenage Punk trying to rebel against religion to appear cool" or "Denying God so that you can sin"

1arelgio-bill-gates-pope.jpg

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#385 LJS9502_basic  Online
MBirdy88
Your pictures are out of date. Might want to research.
FuggaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#386 FuggaJ

[QUOTE="FuggaJ"]Yeah you got me there, dud. I was all for promoting war until you said that. Just because I don't respect a farcical system of belief doesn't make me a bigot by the way ;)

EDIT: Am I a bigot for thinking people that believe the earth is 6000 years old are wrong?LJS9502_basic

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you probably don't respect NAMBLA's beliefs so I guess you must be a bigot too :o Your logic is infallible...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#387 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]LJS9502_basic

Or you could just provide the rebutal with your post ... kinda fair game at this point.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#388 LJS9502_basic  Online

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="FuggaJ"]Yeah you got me there, dud. I was all for promoting war until you said that. Just because I don't respect a farcical system of belief doesn't make me a bigot by the way ;)

EDIT: Am I a bigot for thinking people that believe the earth is 6000 years old are wrong?FuggaJ

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you probably don't respect NAMBLA's beliefs so I guess you must be a bigot too :o Your logic is infallible...

I don't respect anyone harming another. What they personally believe is of no consequence to me as long as they don't harm another.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#389 LJS9502_basic  Online
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="MBirdy88"]MBirdy88

Or you could just provide the rebutal with your post ... kinda fair game at this point.

Condoms are allowed for the prevention of disease. You are behind the curve. Not sure what vaccine you are talking about so I won't address that. As for churches...while Rome has money....it is a government....most local churches survive on donations and many are far from wealthy. As for your taxpayer comment....that occurs no matter who visits since security is important. Any head of a government gets the same security. Fail.
FuggaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#390 FuggaJ

[QUOTE="FuggaJ"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Straw man. Which doesn't change the fact that you're a bigot.:)LJS9502_basic

I don't respect anyone harming another. What they personally believe is of no consequence to me as long as they don't harm another.

You don't have a problem with people holding the belief that it's okay for an old man to have sex with a little boy? Regardless of anybody acting on the thought or not. I do get what you're saying though, and I want to agree but some beliefs are just outrageous.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#391 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

[QUOTE="dissonantblack"]

jesuschristmonk

Mfw I probably do more good deeds, and respect most people better than most religious people (I'm technically an atheist by the way) lol. 

I always thought that if you need religion to justify being a good person, you're not a good person lol.  At least, not genuinely.

And religion is not the only way to learn morality, just the most warped and biased.

Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#392 Buckhannah
rofl! he is the uncreated, he has no creator, if you keep asking who created him, then who created the one who created him? it will go on forever and hence you deny creation and deny yourself.GrayF0X786
That's called having your cake and eating it too, logical fallacy. If the universe and everything in it is complex and therefore requires a creator being, then the creator being itself, who is infinitely more complex than it's creation, also requires a creator. You are correct that it's a infinite regress, and that's exactly why god is not the answer tot he mystery of the origins of the universe. Unless you would like to actually prove that god is exempt from the complexity requires a creator rule, rather than just declaring it and simply expecting us to start the discussion from there without questioning it. (which we obviously won't be doing)
Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#393 Buckhannah

I always thought that if you need religion to justify being a good person, you're not a good person lol.  At least, not genuinely. And religion is not the only way to learn morality, just the most warped and biased.mrbojangles25

I said this before, and I mean it. If all that keeps someone from running around raping, pillaging, and killing to their hearts content is the idea that an invisible sky daddy might be watching them and will hurt them when they die if they do, not only are they not a good people, but they are dangerous psychopaths who need to be removed from society.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#394 MrGeezer
No I think you're the one missing it. So here it is simplified: Religion is shit, any good that comes from it doesn't outweigh the bad. It's useless in the modern world and we should get rid of it because it, in reality, serves no other purpose than to give people justification for shitty morals. FuggaJ
Bull$***, dude. It's just a tool. You just admitted that it does good. You know for a fact that there are a lot of people out there who use religion as a means of promoting love and goodwill. Whether or not more people use it for good or bad, you can't say that it "serves no other purpose than to give people justification for shitty morals" after accepting that people do in fact use it for good.
Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#395 Buckhannah

Bull$***, dude. It's just a tool. You just admitted that it does good. You know for a fact that there are a lot of people out there who use religion as a means of promoting love and goodwill. Whether or not more people use it for good or bad, you can't say that it "serves no other purpose than to give people justification for shitty morals" after accepting that people do in fact is it for good.MrGeezer

Christianity can certainly do a lot of good for the world. It's a philosophy that is so rarely actually practiced though that for the most part it's hard to tell.

FuggaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#396 FuggaJ
[QUOTE="FuggaJ"]No I think you're the one missing it. So here it is simplified: Religion is shit, any good that comes from it doesn't outweigh the bad. It's useless in the modern world and we should get rid of it because it, in reality, serves no other purpose than to give people justification for shitty morals. MrGeezer
Bull$***, dude. It's just a tool. You just admitted that it does good. You know for a fact that there are a lot of people out there who use religion as a means of promoting love and goodwill. Whether or not more people use it for good or bad, you can't say that it "serves no other purpose than to give people justification for shitty morals" after accepting that people do in fact is it for good.

Cool it, chief. I could've worded that better it was a mistake in the rhetoric. It does do good, and it does do bad. The good it provides is not unique in and of itself and can come from other sound rational beliefs or institutions. The bad stemming from it is uniquely justified under the guise of being some divine truth. Feel better now?
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#397 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
Institutionalized religion is usually a political and power hungry organization. In that regard it is responsible for giving corrupt and intolerant individuals a platform to do their crap. The medieval structure of the church itself is responsible for many of the problems it causes so the organization should change.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#398 MrGeezer
The bad stemming from it is uniquely justified under the guise of being some divine truth.FuggaJ
Such as? I've already stated that religion doesn't do anything good that can't be accomplished through secular means, but the same also applies to the bad. What exactly are the bad things that can only be done uniquely through religion?
elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#399 elessarGObonzo
Member since 2008 • 2677 Posts

in most countries nowadays there is no authority making people participate in religion.

there is more freedom for people's common sense to kick in and their fear to abate.

science has explained a lot of the phenomina that caused panic in past cultures. such as weather, disasters, blights. so most people don't try as a last resort to please their "gods" to avoid this.

because of the lack of control the religious authority has over most peoples today we actually get to find out the kind of people they are and how wrong many of their thought processes are. so we see not to follow them by their own example.

whether atheist or agnostic, i believe this is a step in the right direction. there was_is some presence of energy that has been expanding outward and eventually coelescing back into "Planck Time". for who knows how long or how many times, maybe this is the first. but, i do not believe this is a thinking_decision making presence. maybe that better describes the omniscience of "god": has no need for thought because the particles are going to keep doing what they're supposed to do forever.

FuggaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#400 FuggaJ

[QUOTE="FuggaJ"]The bad stemming from it is uniquely justified under the guise of being some divine truth.MrGeezer
Such as? I've already stated that religion doesn't do anything good that can't be accomplished through secular means, but the same also applies to the bad. What exactly are the bad things that can only be done uniquely through religion?

Circumcision, Gender inequality (mainly talking about things like women being punished or even executed for things like adultery), Israel vs Palestine situation, not giving a child medicine because you can pray instead. And I didn't say the bad things are unique, even though I'm not sure that all of the former things would occur without religion, just that the justification for them is usually because god said so and you don't question the Big G.