Why is the topic of rape so sensitive nowadays?

• 75 results
lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

I just watched a show that depicted a rape scene. Was I disgusted by it? Yes, but I understood it was part of a larger story, and that the show wasn't condoning the act of rape. Yet I see so many people on this show's facebook page complaining about the scene. The same show that has mass murder, torture, genital mutilation, amongst other things.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Because it's a very traumatizing event, and one that can scar a person for life. Usually people who are victims of mass murder and torture don't live to tell the tale.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

You can't depict Allah neither in the media go figure

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lonewolf604

@BattleSpectre: No they can't but the common denominator is that we're alive and can say that it is all wrong. But its the fact that people who watch things for entertaining always pick out that things that "offend" them, yet ignore the other equally traumatizing things.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

if anything I'd say people are coming too desensitized to it, the subject of rape is the radfems trump card that's been overplayed to the point of being nearly ineffective

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

the subject of rape is the radfems trump card that's been overplayed to the point of being nearly ineffective

I agree with this; the voices TC is referring to are nothing but the remnants of a once substantively controversial topic. Terms like "rape culture" seriously undermined the validity of the plight.

Depiction of rape in artistic works should be judged on a case by case basis; it's not "guilty" until proven otherwise. If a movie depicts the raping of a woman in positive light then by all means rage; otherwise it's the same as depicting murder, torture, abuse and all the throngs of atrocities out there.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

that girls basically been getting raped since season 1.

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

as if rape is never enough to be the sole evidence,there's more to what makes people traumatized for life than just one thing,in the old days and today..ongoing war,persecution,and racism is already traumatizing those that are affected,they speak what they speak,they do their own business,why kill them if the affected doesn't disturb the majority? someday soon if this is never solved,the world would melt and xenophobia everywhere because people think everything is a joke and entertainment.

bullying people is a joke for the minds of the dumb,but the serious will never consider bullying a part of school social tradition,I was a victim of it,and I wanted revenge for what they did to me

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -God-

Also the out-rage is mostly because they've seen the character grow up ever since she was a little girl, and go on from one monstrous rapist to an even more monstrous rapist calls into question the writing on the show. (Especially since it didn't even occur in the books).

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GazaAli

I have to ask now, what show are we talking about here?

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

I question myself...why would people do these in favor of a fanatic fan service? don't they realize that nothing good came out of it? in India alone,rape scene is forbidden since the controversial documentary aired not so long time ago.and why would people film these in the first place? is it to be a part of education? no,not even in adult education,rape is a serious inhumanity act,and the producers of it will face a heavy law,it'll be 1.000.000.000.000.000 times heavier if children is present. will people learn not to do this in the future? it's debatable,but I hope a glint of light showed no mercy to whoever attempted these.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Because it's triggering.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BattleSpectre

@lonewolf604: I don't watch TV shows, so may I ask what series this is?

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

Because being molested isn't a thing to think lightly about!

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lonewolf604

@GazaAli said:

Game of Thrones, Season 5, episode 6. The "victim", Sansa Stark. It aired not too long ago, but Google any combination of those words and you'll get a ton of articles about it.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BattleSpectre

Ah Game of Thrones, if there's any series that can get me into watching TV shows it's this one (have never watched an episode though but everyone raves on about it). I just don't like the sex scenes, when I watch TV I don't want to be getting random woodies, if you catch my drift.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lonewolf604

@BattleSpectre said:

Ah Game of Thrones, if there's any series that can get me into watching TV shows it's this one (have never watched an episode though but everyone raves on about it). I just don't like the sex scenes, when I watch TV I don't want to be getting random woodies, if you catch my drift.

Yeah? Try having your dad saying he'll just drop in to check out what it is only to have asses and elbows on the screen 2 minutes later.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BattleSpectre

@lonewolf604: Hahaha, that's bad mate. I hate that, watching something with the family and then bang, asses or sex scenes come up on screen.... very awkward.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GazaAli

@lonewolf604 said:
@GazaAli said:

Game of Thrones, Season 5, episode 6. The "victim", Sansa Stark. It aired not too long ago, but Google any combination of those words and you'll get a ton of articles about it.

Ah Game of Thrones, don't care for this shit show anyway.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lonewolf604
@GazaAli said:
@lonewolf604 said:
@GazaAli said:

LOL aw come on

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GazaAli

@lonewolf604 said:
@GazaAli said:
@lonewolf604 said:
@GazaAli said:

LOL aw come on

I skimmed through the pilot on a couple of occasions, and each time I landed on some sex scene. Suddenly the show's popularity made perfect sense to me, and I decided it's not for me.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BattleSpectre

@GazaAli: Glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't appreciate unneeded sex scenes to sell a show.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By lonewolf604

Are they all necessary? No, but that's not the reason I and many others watch the show. I don't mind a little boob action every now and then.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BattleSpectre

@lonewolf604: So you recommend it then? Why didn't you say so! Any ways to watch some episodes online the legal way, do people upload them on YouTube?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56034 Posts

@lonewolf604 said:
@GazaAli said:
@lonewolf604 said:
@GazaAli said:

LOL aw come on

I agree with GazaAli, **** Game of Throne.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

One thing is to depict or discuss rape, another is to dismiss its importance or take it lightly.

I have no problem with the first, but of course I have a problem with the latter, same as I would with murder, torture or other such things.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DaVillain  Moderator

This is just my opinion, I think like Cartoons [and Anime] can get away with rape scenes but it's still sensitive to some people unless you relies it's only a cartoon and not real which is a relief but it depends on the person's mind on how you'll see it.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BattleSpectre

@davillain- said:

This is just my opinion, I think like Cartoons [and Anime] can get away with rape scenes but it's still sensitive to some people unless you relies it's only a cartoon and not real which is a relief but it depends on the person's mind on how you'll see it.

By that theory no one should be offended by Game of Thrones either, it's all fantasy and fake too.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DaVillain  Moderator

@BattleSpectre said:
@davillain- said:

By that theory no one should be offended by Game of Thrones either, it's all fantasy and fake too.

Agree. It's just pretend/fantasy and not even related in the real world.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@Iszdope said:

@davillain-: You really love that Hentai shit don't you..?

Only when involves Jiggle Tits. Plus I am a Hentai fanboy after all. No same of ever saying that.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DaVillain  Moderator

@Iszdope: She thinks I'm silly of watching anime sex which she doesn't mind if I'm watching Hentai.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BattleSpectre

@Iszdope said:
@davillain- said:
@Iszdope said:

@davillain-: You really love that Hentai shit don't you..?

Only when involves Jiggle Tits. Plus I am a Hentai fanboy after all. No same of ever saying that.

What doe your baby mama think of it?

Shit just got real.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DaVillain  Moderator

@Iszdope: In other words, she doesn't care.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DaVillain  Moderator

@Iszdope: @BattleSpectre: Oh come on you guys, Hentai isn't that bad, it's fun. Even freedomfreak approves my work. Now then, have anymore questions, feel free to ask them in Roll-Call cause I don't want to derailed OP thread.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BattleSpectre

@davillain-:I've never watched it to be perfectly honest ay. Then again I don't want it to become an addiction as I know how harmful these sorts of videos can be. But good point let's not derail the thread.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

#sansagate

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

I was disgusted by the ridiculous Bronn and Jaime vs Sand Snakes fanfiction we saw last night.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44  Edited By Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
@Storm_Marine said:

I was disgusted by the ridiculous Bronn and Jaime vs Sand Snakes fanfiction we saw last night.

I consider GoT one of the best shows ever to grace television, with that said, the Bronn-Jaime vs Sand Snakes scene was shot very poorly and the worst scene in the show's history. Everything was off...and whoever cast those two girls totally blew it. That scene looked like something out of a tween show like Once Upon a Time or Xena: Warrior Princess and not the quality and grit I expect from GoT.

Anyways to the topic I haven't seen any of the outrage or whatever regarding the rape scene, and personally don't care. Let over emotional people get outrage by fake crimes happening to fake people in a fake world. The show is a dark fantasy series that has gratuitous murder, rape, war, torture, incestual sex, and all other manner of misgivings. That's the nature of the show...somehow to these people the constant death and carnage is fine, but rape is over the line?

Whatever, tempest in a teacup.

*edit*

Against my better judgement I read a few reviews regarding this episode...damnit! It's what I figured though, bunch of selective outrage and claims the series has gone too far stuff. Gimme a break...the show has depicted dozens of murders, tortures, and all manner of violence against all types of people and somehow a rape is outrageous? So what, chopping off Theon's dick was fine? Isn't that sexual violence/mutilation? The dozens (really hundreds) of men and women murdered or killed in battle just dandy?

Ridiculous. Goes to show you for these morally superior SJW-types's you can kill and torture as many people as you want, and hell, you can even cut off a man's cock! The only thing you can't do is rape a woman apparently...that's crossing the line.

silkylove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 silkylove
Member since 2002 • 8579 Posts

Because there are a bunch of assholes who like to joke about rape, and either don't know or don't care that they might be triggering somebody else. Chalk it up to people suck.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

Society has developed to the point where women have developed some sense of rights.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38671 Posts

@-God- said:

that girls basically been getting raped since season 1.

qft

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 -God-

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

Society has developed to the point where women have developed some sense of rights.

No one seemed to scream of outrage when Theon got raped and worse...

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38671 Posts

@silkylove said:

Because there are a bunch of assholes who like to joke about rape, and either don't know or don't care that they might be triggering somebody else. Chalk it up to people suck.

if the world had to bow to everyone who might be "triggered" by things, any form of creative expression would cease to exist.