Why is the drinking age 21 in the U.S?

• 199 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 The_Lipscomb
Member since 2013 • 2603 Posts

I'm 21, and I still think it's kind of dumb.. Why is it still 21? Should be at least 19. I have trouble drinking out with my 18-20 year old friends ( the few places I go to out to are live music venus ) because of this, which kind of sucks, beause they won't even let them enter the venue..

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Blame organizations like MADD and the belief that raising the drinking age to 21 was the only way to reduce drunk driving despite every other western nation using different approaches and nearly all having just as much success. 

Avatar image for BenedictArnold7
BenedictArnold7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 BenedictArnold7
Member since 2012 • 743 Posts

LOL I remember being too young to do things... I am only 24.. but it still seems like a BILLION years ago. I think the drinking age should be lower... but the only reason I can provide is that I like to drink.

megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts
I have no idea. Does the US have the highest legal drinking age in the world? Something I've always wondered.
megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts
I have no idea. Does the US have the highest legal drinking age in the world? Something I've always wondered. megagene
Actually I just googled it. It appears that you share your weirdly high legal drinking age with the following countries: Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Oman, Pakistan, Palau, and Sri Lanka.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

It used to be 18 in some states and 19, 20 and 21 in other states. Because of that people would drive to the states where the drinking age was lower if the drinking age was higher in their own state, and then they would drive back which was a problem. So in the 80's it was standardized to 21 to get rid of that incentive for people to drive drunk. It could've just been set at 18 nationwide but that would've made too much sense.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts
i just don't see why alcohol is so amazing that even 18 year old should drink. sure a self controlled 15 year old can handle drinking alcohol but it just seems like too much work to advocate for drinking age reform
lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts
The only people who care about the drinking age in the US is teenagers. That pretty much answers your question.
Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts
21 means little, it's a foolish misconception that people have. Not that it's a big deal, who cares?

The National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984 withholds revenue from states that allow the purchase of alcohol by anyone under the age of 21. Prior to the effective date of that Act, the drinking age varied from state to state. Some states do not allow those under the legal drinking age to be present in liquor stores or in bars (usually, the difference between a bar and a restaurant is that food is served only in the latter). Contrary to popular belief, since the act went into law, only a few states prohibit minors and young adults from consuming alcohol in private settings. As of January 1, 2010, 15 states and the District of Columbia ban underage consumption outright, 17 states do not ban underage consumption, and the remaining 18 states have family member and/or location exceptions to their underage consumption laws. Federal law explicitly provides for religious, medical, employment and private club possession exceptions; as of 2005, 31 states have family member and/or location exceptions to their underage possession laws. However, non-alcoholic beer in many (but not all) states, such as Idaho, Texas, and Maryland, is considered legal for those under the age of 21.[20] By a judge's ruling, South Carolina appears to allow the possession and consumption of alcohol by adults 18 to 20 years of age, but a circuit court judge said otherwise.[21] The State of Wisconsin allows the consumption of alcohol in the presence of parents. Some U.S. States have legislation that make providing to and possession of alcohol by persons under 21 a gross misdemeanor with a potential of $5,000 and a year in jail (or more).[22]

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Does it really matter what age it's at? Say it was 19....when kids are 19, they'll be like "Why isnt it 18? Whats so magic about 19?" It's like an infinite regress.  Just leave it alone, IMO, drink if you want to.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#12 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

As others have said, the only people who actually care about this are underage folks.  Me, I've tried it and I don't think it's anything to be so hyped about.  I find the taste quite nasty.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

like all over problems in America its communism

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#14 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
What I think is stupid is that people an go to war and die for their country at 18, but if they have a beer then it's a HUGE deal.
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
because people under 21 are very emotional and can get out of hand if toxicated ..... been there done that
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Blame organizations like MADD and the belief that raising the drinking age to 21 was the only way to reduce drunk driving despite every other western nation using different approaches and nearly all having just as much success. 

Wasdie

Eh, not the best analogy to draw.  Other nations have far fewer car owners, a lot more public transportion, far fewer people who actually pass their driving test (I think it was something like 51% in France), and far harsher penalties for driving infractions.  In a lot of other nations drunk driving would mean losing your license pretty much on the spot.

I'm not all for treating adults like they can't be trusted to act like adults, but I think we need a more mature view of drinking in general before we go lowering the age.  We're too puritannical, we can't treat drinking like a taboo subkect that can't be discussed before the legal age and then expect eighteen year olds, or twenty one year olds for that matter, to act maturely about it.  When Americans decide they can talk sensibly with their children about alcohol before they reach the drinking age and maybe *gasp* let them have a bit of alcohol every now and again before then like at dinners then I think we'll be ready to lower the drinking age.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

theone86

Eh, not the best analogy to draw.  Other nations have far fewer car owners, a lot more public transportion, far fewer people who actually pass their driving test (I think it was something like 51% in France), and far harsher penalties for driving infractions.  In a lot of other nations drunk driving would mean losing your license pretty much on the spot.

I'm not all for treating adults like they can't be trusted to act like adults, but I think we need a more mature view of drinking in general before we go lowering the age.  We're too puritannical, we can't treat drinking like a taboo subkect that can't be discussed before the legal age and then expect eighteen year olds, or twenty one year olds for that matter, to act maturely about it.  When Americans decide they can talk sensibly with their children about alcohol before they reach the drinking age and maybe *gasp* let them have a bit of alcohol every now and again before then like at dinners then I think we'll be ready to lower the drinking age.

I like this

Avatar image for VanHelsingBoA64
VanHelsingBoA64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 VanHelsingBoA64
Member since 2007 • 5455 Posts
don't lower the drinking age because then 10 year olds will wanna drink lmao
The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 The_Lipscomb

Does it really matter what age it's at? Say it was 19....when kids are 19, they'll be like "Why isnt it 18? Whats so magic about 19?" It's like an infinite regress.  Just leave it alone, IMO, drink if you want to.

wis3boi
Honestly.. If I had it my way.. Beer would be legal at 16 lol
ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts
What I think is stupid is that people an go to war and die for their country at 18, but if they have a beer then it's a HUGE deal.Rattlesnake_8
Except that enlisting is 100% voluntary and less than one percent of the US population is currently serving in the military. Now, if the draft was currently in force then I could see people using the rationale that they can die in war but since it isn't it is a moot point with the vast majority of people using that line having no intention to enlist.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
[QUOTE="Rattlesnake_8"]What I think is stupid is that people an go to war and die for their country at 18, but if they have a beer then it's a HUGE deal.ad1x2
Except that enlisting is 100% voluntary and less than one percent of the US population is currently serving in the military. Now, if the draft was currently in force then I could see people using the rationale that they can die in war but since it isn't it is a moot point with the vast majority of people using that line having no intention to enlist.

Have you ever enlisted?
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
Because kids are stupid and shouldn't be allowed to have fun.
The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 The_Lipscomb
Because kids are stupid and shouldn't be allowed to have fun. mems_1224
but an eighteen year old is not a kid..
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#24 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts
Because alcohol consumption is part of any European's life from a young age. By the time they are old enough to legally purchase, it isn't a big deal to them. Here, 21st birthday's are a very dangerous thing. 18 year old kids couldn't handle alcohol in this country.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 theone86

[QUOTE="ad1x2"][QUOTE="Rattlesnake_8"]What I think is stupid is that people an go to war and die for their country at 18, but if they have a beer then it's a HUGE deal.dave123321

Have you ever enlisted?

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think he has.  That being said, I think that was a false analogy.  If one is mature enough to make the decision of whether or not to go to war then one should be mature enough to decide whether or not to drink.  Truth is eighteen year old Americans probably aren't mature enough to do either, but at least when they go to war they're only taking their own lives in their hands.

The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 The_Lipscomb
Because alcohol consumption is part of any European's life from a young age. By the time they are old enough to legally purchase, it isn't a big deal to them. Here, 21st birthday's are a very dangerous thing. 18 year old kids couldn't handle alcohol in this country.monkeytoes61
Are you sure? I honestly believe having the 21 rule backfires.. because people go.. Well, why wont they let me have it.. I really want to try it.. then they go overboard and disasters happen.. It should at least be 20 at the very least.. 21 is ridicuously high... It's so tight here in the U.S .. My 18-20 friends can't even watch any music venus because alcohol is being served at these places.. That's just dumb.
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#27 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts
[QUOTE="monkeytoes61"]Because alcohol consumption is part of any European's life from a young age. By the time they are old enough to legally purchase, it isn't a big deal to them. Here, 21st birthday's are a very dangerous thing. 18 year old kids couldn't handle alcohol in this country.The_Lipscomb
Are you sure? I honestly believe having the 21 rule backfires.. because people go.. Well, why wont they let me have it.. I really want to try it.. then they go overboard and disasters happen.. It should at least be 20 at the very least.. 21 is ridicuously high... It's so tight here in the U.S .. My 18-20 friends can't even watch any music venus because alcohol is being served at these places.. That's just dumb.

If alcohol were introduced at a young age (similar to a place like Italy, where young children are served wine), it wouldn't be a problem.
The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 The_Lipscomb

[QUOTE="dave123321"][QUOTE="ad1x2"] Except that enlisting is 100% voluntary and less than one percent of the US population is currently serving in the military. Now, if the draft was currently in force then I could see people using the rationale that they can die in war but since it isn't it is a moot point with the vast majority of people using that line having no intention to enlist.theone86

Have you ever enlisted?

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think he has.  That being said, I think that was a false analogy.  If one is mature enough to make the decision of whether or not to go to war then one should be mature enough to decide whether or not to drink.  Truth is eighteen year old Americans probably aren't mature enough to do either, but at least when they go to war they're only taking their own lives in their hands.

Maybe not.. It's almost like it's a cultural thing.. Peple in the U.Shave a genral love for cars... so we drive a lot more than most other countries.. So that plays a major role too.
The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 The_Lipscomb
[QUOTE="The_Lipscomb"][QUOTE="monkeytoes61"]Because alcohol consumption is part of any European's life from a young age. By the time they are old enough to legally purchase, it isn't a big deal to them. Here, 21st birthday's are a very dangerous thing. 18 year old kids couldn't handle alcohol in this country.monkeytoes61

If alcohol were introduced at a young age (similar to a place like Italy, where young children are served wine), it wouldn't be a problem.

I absolutely agree with you. I spent a week in the netherlands.. and it's 16 for beer there.. and I have never seen such responsible drinking.. Compared to where I live anyways.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 theone86

[QUOTE="monkeytoes61"]Because alcohol consumption is part of any European's life from a young age. By the time they are old enough to legally purchase, it isn't a big deal to them. Here, 21st birthday's are a very dangerous thing. 18 year old kids couldn't handle alcohol in this country.The_Lipscomb

If we want to get technical, I think an eighteen year old is about as likely to be in a drunk driving accident as a twenty-one year old.  If we follow that to its logical conclusion, though, the age limit on aclohol should be twenty-five.  I dunno, maybe if we lowered the age people would treat alcohol more maturely (though I definitely think that if that happens first time drunk driving should be an indefinite suspension of one's dirver's license).  I also think that regardless there would be a learning curve, so to speak.  I was about as dumb with alcohol at twenty-one as I was at eighteen, and I know people older than that who are as stupid or more with it.  I don't think that we'd automatically turn into a nation of drunks, but I do think there's a good possibility that if we just went to eighteen tomorrow there would be plenty of people that would screw up pretty bad before we got the hang of it down.

The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 The_Lipscomb

[QUOTE="The_Lipscomb"][QUOTE="monkeytoes61"]Because alcohol consumption is part of any European's life from a young age. By the time they are old enough to legally purchase, it isn't a big deal to them. Here, 21st birthday's are a very dangerous thing. 18 year old kids couldn't handle alcohol in this country.theone86

If we want to get technical, I think an eighteen year old is about as likely to be in a drunk driving accident as a twenty-one year old.  If we follow that to its logical conclusion, though, the age limit on aclohol should be twenty-five.  I dunno, maybe if we lowered the age people would treat alcohol more maturely (though I definitely think that if that happens first time drunk driving should be an indefinite suspension of one's dirver's license).  I also think that regardless there would be a learning curve, so to speak.  I was about as dumb with alcohol at twenty-one as I was at eighteen, and I know people older than that who are as stupid or more with it.  I don't think that we'd automatically turn into a nation of drunks, but I do think there's a good possibility that if we just went to eighteen tomorrow there would be plenty of people that would screw up pretty bad before we got the hang of it down.

I get what you're saying. I changed so much between 18 and 21.. More so than high school and middle school comined.. when I was 17 .. I threw up many times.. trying to be cool, and watning to experiment since I wasen't legally allowed to do it.. I was an idiot then.. Maybe I still am.. but I have definetly improved. Right now, I have drank six beers. I have remained in my room calmly, and I can still type somewhat type decently. So I definetly have progressed. If I started at 21, I feel like this progression might have been delayed until I am around 24-25.
cheese_game619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 cheese_game619
Member since 2005 • 13317 Posts
i went out to clubs and pubs almost every weekend from 18 until around 21 when i started to slow down not being able to get that part of your life out of the way earlier seems silly
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
[QUOTE="mems_1224"]Because kids are stupid and shouldn't be allowed to have fun. The_Lipscomb

yea he is.
The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 The_Lipscomb
[QUOTE="The_Lipscomb"][QUOTE="mems_1224"]Because kids are stupid and shouldn't be allowed to have fun. mems_1224

yea he is.

Nope.
ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ad1x2
[QUOTE="ad1x2"][QUOTE="Rattlesnake_8"]What I think is stupid is that people an go to war and die for their country at 18, but if they have a beer then it's a HUGE deal.dave123321

Have you ever enlisted?

Yes, I am in Afghanistan right now. By the way, we are forbidden to drink while deployed no matter how old we are.
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
It's 18 where I live, but most people start drinking around 14/15 years of age. By the time your 18th birthday comes around drinking isn't a big deal.
Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

Americans need more time to mature

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ad1x2

If one is mature enough to make the decision of whether or not to go to war then one should be mature enough to decide whether or not to drink.  Truth is eighteen year old Americans probably aren't mature enough to do either, but at least when they go to war they're only taking their own lives in their hands.

theone86

The difference between alcohol and going to war is anybody who is 21 can legally buy alcohol but according to current enlistment standards only one in four people between the ages of 18 and 24 are eligible to join. If you are obese, if you dropped out of school and didn't get a GED, if you have a drug or felony conviction, or if you are a single parent you are ineligible to enlist.

Those are just some examples of things that make you unfit. Another thing about war is we don't send a bunch of untrained, unsupervised 18-year olds to war alone. We have sergeants and officers who are much older than them leading them while they are deployed.

In all honesty, the drinking age should probably be reviewed. It just doesn't seem like a valid point in my opinion using the "I could die in war at 18" excuse on why the drinking age should be lowered since most of the people who use it not only have no intention to enlist, but if a law came out today saying anybody with a military ID could buy booze no questions asked most of the people using the war excuse would say it wasn't fair they can't still drink.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#40 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I'm not even sure. Been drinking responsibility since I was 18.

Gotten drunk a few times but I know my limits. It's stupid YOLO kids that give it a bad rep.

GIJames248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GIJames248
Member since 2006 • 2176 Posts

Because America really doesn't like the concept of personal freedom like they used to. If the government and society can run a portion of someone's life without too much drama from the voting base then they will do so as quickly and thoroughly as possible.

Angie7F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Angie7F
Member since 2011 • 1175 Posts

because there is just too much politics in the US.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts
Reagan's fault. He held up state highway funding until states raised the drinking age to 21 if it wasn't already.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts

[QUOTE="theone86"]

If one is mature enough to make the decision of whether or not to go to war then one should be mature enough to decide whether or not to drink.  Truth is eighteen year old Americans probably aren't mature enough to do either, but at least when they go to war they're only taking their own lives in their hands.

ad1x2

The difference between alcohol and going to war is anybody who is 21 can legally buy alcohol but according to current enlistment standards only one in four people between the ages of 18 and 24 are eligible to join. If you are obese, if you dropped out of school and didn't get a GED, if you have a drug or felony conviction, or if you are a single parent you are ineligible to enlist.

Those are just some examples of things that make you unfit. Another thing about war is we don't send a bunch of untrained, unsupervised 18-year olds to war alone. We have sergeants and officers who are much older than them leading them while they are deployed.

In all honesty, the drinking age should probably be reviewed. It just doesn't seem like a valid point in my opinion using the "I could die in war at 18" excuse on why the drinking age should be lowered since most of the people who use it not only have no intention to enlist, but if a law came out today saying anybody with a military ID could buy booze no questions asked most of the people using the war excuse would say it wasn't fair they can't still drink.

Sorry if you can enlist in the military and are considered an adult in regard to legal proceedings and contracts....you should be able to make your own decisions in regard to alcohol. don't excuse the governments double standards when it suits them.
scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#46 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

The very unconstitutional National Minimum Drinking Age Act signed by Ronald Reagan in 1984 disincentivizes states from lowering it and the Federal government sure as hell isn't going to change it.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

im not sure.. if you can join the military at 17, you should be able to drink a beer

Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts
You can blame that leftist Reagan for that.
ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ad1x2
Sorry if you can enlist in the military and are considered an adult in regard to legal proceedings and contracts....you should be able to make your own decisions in regard to alcohol. don't excuse the governments double standards when it suits them.LJS9502_basic
But like I said earlier, just because you are 18 doesn't mean you can enlist. Reading through the comments made here over the last few years a lot of posters here have admitted to something that makes them ineligible to join whether it was doing time in drug rehab, a felony record, being overweight, dropping out of school, taking medication for depression, and more. On the other hand, you could be allergic to alcohol and as long as you are 21 you can legally drink. I do agree with your other point. If you can legally enter a contract at 18 you should be able to legally drink as long as you drink responsibly. Not so much with the legal proceedings since you can be tried as an adult at 13 depending on your crime but I still wouldn't want a 13-year old drinking. I just bought up how using the "I could go to war" excuse is stupid when the vast majority of the people who use it wouldn't join unless a draft forced them to.
3eyedrazorback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#50 3eyedrazorback
Member since 2005 • 16380 Posts
Legal drinking age means absolutely nothing other than the fact you can't get it at a restaurant/bar. Underage drinking will happen no matter what. I think the drinking age is absurd.