Why Is Sum 41 The Best Band Ever?

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by FrostyPhantasm (8521 posts) -

Seriously though, these guys haven't had a "bad" album ever. The singles off the album are golden and are usually huge and even get a lot of public acclaim and every album is similar, but different enough to set it apart. They are seriously the best pop-punk/punk-rock/punk/alt whatever you want to call them Canadian band EVER.

Sum 41 - Thanks For Nothing

Walking Disaster

With Me

Blood In My Eyes

Happiness Machine

Is it possible to hate these guys?

#2 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

:lol:

#3 Posted by lensflare15 (6181 posts) -

A lot of people do hate them. I used to like them a lot, and I still do kind of like them. The individual band members are pretty annoying though.

#4 Posted by FrostyPhantasm (8521 posts) -

Pirate700
Over-come with joy after hearing their fairly complex guitar for a pop-punk band, the amazing vocals, or the catchy choruses?
#5 Posted by Wilfred_Owen (20859 posts) -
This is going to be one of those times your not entitled to your own opinion.
#6 Posted by paranoidpixie95 (2198 posts) -

This is going to be one of those times your not entitled to your own opinion.Wilfred_Owen

#7 Posted by Saturos3091 (14938 posts) -
They are seriously the best pop-punk/punk-rock/punk/alt whatever you want to call them Canadian band EVER.FrostyPhantasm
The brownest turd in the bowl.
#8 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12988 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

FrostyPhantasm

Over-come with joy after hearing their fairly complex guitar for a pop-punk band, the amazing vocals, or the catchy choruses?

Maybe, for a pop-punk band. But compared to a real musician like David Gilmour...now there's a man who can make a guitar do whatever the hell he wants it to do.

#9 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29288 posts) -

Pirate700
#10 Posted by Badosh (12733 posts) -
Haven't had a bad album? Are you serious? Screaming Bloody Murder is horrible, Underclass Hero is generic and boring, Chuck was too different from their other stuff, and the songs that were "good" on it aren't even that good, Does This Look Infect was probably their "best" album, and even that is filed with terrible songs, All Kill No Filler has their biggest hits and that isn't saying much. And that leaves Half Hour of Power, my personal favorite mainly because they were new at the time. So no. They suck.
#11 Posted by FrostyPhantasm (8521 posts) -
Haters gon' hate.
#12 Posted by flipin_jackass (9726 posts) -
I liked them up until Underclass Hero. I listened to them quite a bit around 2004-2005ish. I still listen to their older songs once in a while, but I have no idea what their new songs are like.
#13 Posted by WolfattheDoor34 (3278 posts) -

Is it possible to hate these guys?FrostyPhantasm

Haters gon' hate.FrostyPhantasm

glad we got to the bottom of that one

#14 Posted by konvikt_17 (22237 posts) -

oh this gonna be good.

#15 Posted by FrostyPhantasm (8521 posts) -

[QUOTE="FrostyPhantasm"]Is it possible to hate these guys?WolfattheDoor34

Haters gon' hate.FrostyPhantasm

I forgot it has to be Dad-rock or black metal to be popular on these boards :P
#16 Posted by YoshiYogurt (5976 posts) -
Oh god....
#17 Posted by jimkabrhel (15419 posts) -
They aren't. Few released single, no underground or cult following. Not even close to the best.
#18 Posted by FalcoLX (4452 posts) -
They are seriously the best pop-punkFrostyPhantasm
This is like being the smartest kid with down syndrome.
#19 Posted by FalcoLX (4452 posts) -

Don't worry kid, you'll grow out of it once you reach high school.

#20 Posted by Wilfred_Owen (20859 posts) -
Oh god....YoshiYogurt
Hope your happy now frosty.
#21 Posted by CountBleck12 (22906 posts) -

There is no best band ever.

#22 Posted by FrostyPhantasm (8521 posts) -

Don't worry kid, you'll grow out of it once you reach high school.

FalcoLX
I'm 21 son.
#23 Posted by FrostyPhantasm (8521 posts) -
[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"]Oh god....Wilfred_Owen

If OT saw what else is on my iPod i guarantee almost everyone would rage at least once.
#24 Posted by muller39 (14944 posts) -

In your opinion they might be but not mine.

#25 Posted by hippiesanta (9867 posts) -
Sum41 is a joke ... a gimmick for punk-metal artist to be on MTV
#26 Posted by HybridPhoenix (3598 posts) -
...They're not even the best Canadian band ever.. And they don't even have that lasting nostalgia power that Blink-182 does, they just get annoying.
#27 Posted by FrostyPhantasm (8521 posts) -
[QUOTE="HybridPhoenix"]...They're not even the best Canadian band ever.. And they don't even have that lasting nostalgia power that Blink-182 does, they just get annoying.

Blink is the emo whiny version of Sum 41.
#28 Posted by redstorm72 (4570 posts) -

I'm pretty sure TC is joking, but whatever. Sum 41 are definately not the best band ever, they are not even very good. That being said, I used to like them back in the day and I still enjoy All Killer no Filler and Chuck. They are slightly above average pop punk, that's about it.

#29 Posted by konvikt_17 (22237 posts) -

[QUOTE="Wilfred_Owen"][QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"]Oh god....FrostyPhantasm

If OT saw what else is on my iPod i guarantee almost everyone would rage at least once.

people who rage at other peoples music taste are pathetic.

what we listen to does not affect them at all, yet they somehow feel the need to make remarks.

no music makes anyone superior to anyone else.

#30 Posted by Wasdie (49922 posts) -

Pirate700

#31 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10136 posts) -
They're good, not great.
#32 Posted by soulless4now (41374 posts) -

At least you didn't say Nickelback...lol

#33 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

Isn't that the band that married avril lavigne?

#34 Posted by Wasdie (49922 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

Wasdie

For emphasis.

#35 Posted by soulless4now (41374 posts) -

the_bi99man
Yep. :lol: Then she divorced them.
#36 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

soulless4now

Hm. Seems like everyone would come out a loser in that situation.

#37 Posted by Rhazakna (11022 posts) -
I'm a big fan of punk, and SUm-41 is a mediocre band. I like some of their songs, but overall they're pretty weak.
#38 Posted by soulless4now (41374 posts) -

[QUOTE="soulless4now"][QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

the_bi99man

I think she's the bigger loser since she's now engaged to the lead singer of Nickelback. I honestly don't know what's worst at this point.
#39 Posted by Rhazakna (11022 posts) -
[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="soulless4now"]Yep. :lol: Then she divorced them. soulless4now

I think she's the bigger loser since she's now engaged to the lead singer of Nickelback. I honestly don't know what's worst at this point.

Nickelback is exactly 10,362 times worse than Sum 41, so it looks like she's trading down. Up in terms of money, though.
#40 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

Oh, god. I'd feel sorry for her if she didn't look so ugly without makeup.

[spoiler] but instead, I feel sorry for him. [/spoiler]

#41 Posted by chunkowookie (268 posts) -

the_bi99man

Everyone did.

#42 Posted by soulless4now (41374 posts) -

Rhazakna

Nickelback is exactly 10,362 times worse than Sum 41, so it looks like she's trading down. Up in terms of money, though.

lol
#43 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rhazakna"][QUOTE="soulless4now"]I think she's the bigger loser since she's now engaged to the lead singer of Nickelback. I honestly don't know what's worst at this point. soulless4now

lol

Haha. I briefly thought Nickelback was a bit cooler than they actually are, after hearing the kick ass guitar solo in "Side of a Bullet". Then I found out that the song was written about/dedicated to the late, great Dimebag Darrell, and that solo was spliced together from recorded outtakes of Dimebag from Pantera's "Vulgar Display of Power" sessions, which were given to them by Vinnie Paul after he heard they were working on a Dimebag tribute song.

#44 Posted by TacticalDesire (10713 posts) -

Mmmm, I actually like Sum 41. I wouldn't consider them the best band ever, but they're pretty fun to listen to. Alot of OT doesn't really like the Pop-Punk genre though, so you won't get much love for them here.

#45 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

Mmmm, I actually like Sum 41. I wouldn't consider them the best band ever, but they're pretty fun to listen to. Alot of OT doesn't really like the Pop-Punk genre though, so you won't get much love for them here.

TacticalDesire

Blink 182 is one of my favorite bands ever. Their more recent reunion album is actually fantastic (if you can get over Tom's "Angel and Airwaves" voice, which is definitely there, but seems pulled back at least a little bit). Travis' drumming is incredible, as always, Mark sounds better than ever, and most of the songs are very good, in spite of Tom's annoying modern voice. Saw them live last year. Tom also can't sing at all, live, but it was still a great show. Multiple drum solos, and plenty of silly Mark and Tom banter, like old times.

#46 Posted by dagreenfish (1817 posts) -
I've never heard of this band. But since you describe their music as pop punk, I'm gonna go out in a limb and say they aren't remotely the best band ever.
#47 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10136 posts) -
[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

And to think I had respect for her....
#48 Posted by Iceozo (6531 posts) -

[QUOTE="WolfattheDoor34"]

[QUOTE="FrostyPhantasm"]

[QUOTE="FrostyPhantasm"]Haters gon' hate.FrostyPhantasm

I forgot it has to be Dad-rock or black metal to be popular on these boards :P

Well see pop punk isn't particularly good and saying Sum 41 is the best pop punk band is like saying they are the most neat looking pile of ****.

#49 Posted by PsychoRedFox666 (2081 posts) -

God no...

#50 Posted by oldmanriver1 (726 posts) -

[QUOTE="HybridPhoenix"]...They're not even the best Canadian band ever.. And they don't even have that lasting nostalgia power that Blink-182 does, they just get annoying.FrostyPhantasm
Blink is the emo whiny version of Sum 41.

Hell naw, blink 182 >> sum 41.

I did like sum 41 back in the day though.