Why is Jesus depicted as a white guy?

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ixlr8evo8 (4020 posts) -
Wasn't he from the middle east?
#2 Posted by ixlr8evo8 (4020 posts) -
i'm actually serious
#3 Posted by Carlos_Santana (4316 posts) -
Yes, he wasn't white. Go to Mexico and you'll probably see a few Mexican Jesus'
#4 Posted by BranKetra (48194 posts) -
Yeah....it was to appeal to the European masses, and it stuck. Now kids can't do Christmas plays with Jesus being a darker skin tone because it'll make the moms and dads mad.
#5 Posted by KiIIyou (27145 posts) -
Not always. ; )
#6 Posted by liquid_s (7159 posts) -
Yeah....it was to appeal to the European masses, and it stuck. Now kids can't do Christmas plays with Jesus being a darker skin tone because it'll make the moms and dads mad.BranKetra
Jesus was really tanned, but people in Europe didn't understand how this could be, so they changed him white.
#7 Posted by familyguy77 (2238 posts) -
He was arab, and should be pictured as one. Too bad all the mommies and daddies would have a field day if jesus was depicted as anything but a clean cut white male:roll:
#8 Posted by lagamer (700 posts) -
no....more...religon...threads
#9 Posted by acu02151 (1502 posts) -
he had the same skin condition as michael jackson
#10 Posted by SunJian18 (1222 posts) -

He was Hebrew.

He probably had that golden bronze skin tone.

#11 Posted by liquid_s (7159 posts) -
He was arab, and should be pictured as one. Too bad all the mommies and daddies would have a field day if jesus was depicted as anything but a clean cut white male:roll:familyguy77
Damn whites, coming into Britain like they live here and taking the jobs!
#12 Posted by SAURON221 (2508 posts) -
Sense he was drawn by Europeans they gave him a white skin.
#13 Posted by badaboom187 (6915 posts) -
no....more...religon...threadslagamer
i agree
#14 Posted by Alucard32 (1321 posts) -
because christians are white... jesus was black ftw
#15 Posted by familyguy77 (2238 posts) -

[QUOTE="familyguy77"]He was arab, and should be pictured as one. Too bad all the mommies and daddies would have a field day if jesus was depicted as anything but a clean cut white male:roll:liquid_s

Look, I ain't got nothin against whites or europeans, but it's true. If jesus was depicted as an arab alot of people would be in an uproar, which is a shame.

#16 Posted by Belesur (60 posts) -
Jesus was an Arab.
#17 Posted by liquid_s (7159 posts) -

[QUOTE="liquid_s"][QUOTE="familyguy77"]He was arab, and should be pictured as one. Too bad all the mommies and daddies would have a field day if jesus was depicted as anything but a clean cut white male:roll:familyguy77

Look, I ain't got nothin against whites or europeans, but it's true. If jesus was depicted as an arab alot of people would be in an uproar, which is a shame.

I wasnt suggesting you were, I was just saying that white people think they can change everything into their own image because it makes them happy, when in truth, it wasn't their image to change.
#18 Posted by SunJian18 (1222 posts) -

He was actually depicted to be like Cesare Borgia, who was the son of a cardinal who turned to a pope.  Borgia himself became a duke, and Jesus was shown in his image to flatter him and his family, and it stuck (plus he was light-skinned so the new image was better to Europeans).

Here's a portrait of him:

And another:

I learned this from the song B.I.B.L.E. by Killah Priest, and I researched it to see what he was talking about and learned this.  And they say rap is bad for your brain...

#19 Posted by KiIIyou (27145 posts) -
[QUOTE="liquid_s"] I wasnt suggesting you were, I was just saying that white people think they can change everything into their own image because it makes them happy, when in truth, it wasn't their image to change.

Nobody can own Jesus.
#20 Posted by liquid_s (7159 posts) -
Jesus looks...kinda stuck up!
#21 Posted by RoyTheViking (3574 posts) -
he had the same skin condition as michael jacksonacu02151
#22 Posted by BranKetra (48194 posts) -
[QUOTE="BranKetra"]Yeah....it was to appeal to the European masses, and it stuck. Now kids can't do Christmas plays with Jesus being a darker skin tone because it'll make the moms and dads mad.liquid_s
Jesus was really tanned, but people in Europe didn't understand how this could be, so they changed him white.

Yeah....it was to appeal to the European masses, and it stuck. Now kids can't do Christmas plays with Jesus being a darker skin tone because it'll make the moms and dads mad.BranKetra
:wink:
#23 Posted by SunJian18 (1222 posts) -
[QUOTE="familyguy77"]

[QUOTE="liquid_s"][QUOTE="familyguy77"]He was arab, and should be pictured as one. Too bad all the mommies and daddies would have a field day if jesus was depicted as anything but a clean cut white male:roll:liquid_s

I wasnt suggesting you were, I was just saying that white people think they can change everything into their own image because it makes them happy, when in truth, it wasn't their image to change.

You weren't suggesting anything, but you yourself are being pretty rash in using generalizations.

#24 Posted by liquid_s (7159 posts) -
[QUOTE="KiIIyou"][QUOTE="liquid_s"] I wasnt suggesting you were, I was just saying that white people think they can change everything into their own image because it makes them happy, when in truth, it wasn't their image to change.

Nobody can own Jesus.

well the church sure acts like it does. If another religion mentions him, tthey send their Christian minions to attack and ask why!
#25 Posted by ixlr8evo8 (4020 posts) -

He was actually depicted to be like Cesare Borgia, who was the son of a cardinal who turned to a pope. Borgia himself became a duke, and Jesus was shown in his image to flatter him and his family, and it stuck (plus he was light-skinned so the new image was better to Europeans).

And another:

I learned this from the song B.I.B.L.E. by Killah Priest, and I researched it to see what he was talking about and learned this. And they say rap is bad for your brain...

SunJian18

In that second picture, he looks like Ryan Renolds
#26 Posted by familyguy77 (2238 posts) -
[QUOTE="familyguy77"]

[QUOTE="liquid_s"][QUOTE="familyguy77"]He was arab, and should be pictured as one. Too bad all the mommies and daddies would have a field day if jesus was depicted as anything but a clean cut white male:roll:liquid_s

Agreed.

#27 Posted by SunofVich (4665 posts) -

Who's your buddy?
#28 Posted by Ineedtofindyou (529 posts) -

because christians are white... jesus was black ftwAlucard32

and muslims are arabs.  Stop generalizing.  Hell, I'm middle eastern and I thank God everyday I'm not muslim.

#29 Posted by Conker-Fan (1239 posts) -

He was actually depicted to be like Cesare Borgia, who was the son of a cardinal who turned to a pope. Borgia himself became a duke, and Jesus was shown in his image to flatter him and his family, and it stuck (plus he was light-skinned so the new image was better to Europeans).

And another:

I learned this from the song B.I.B.L.E. by Killah Priest, and I researched it to see what he was talking about and learned this. And they say rap is bad for your brain...

SunJian18

the thing is, in the Bible, they specifically say Jesus basically dressed in rags
#30 Posted by SunJian18 (1222 posts) -
[QUOTE="SunJian18"]

And another:

Conker-Fan

the thing is, in the Bible, they specifically say Jesus basically dressed in rags

Well, he usually was depicted in rags, just with this guy's likeness in the face.

#31 Posted by lol_waffles (1826 posts) -
Jesus was kind of a tanned color, somewhere inbetween white and black. But nowadays, if you were to, say, have a play in which Jesus was anything but Caucasian white, you'd probably be shot.
#32 Posted by Koolsen (8054 posts) -
Because Jesus was pretty fly for a white guy.
#33 Posted by Video_Game_King (27545 posts) -
It's because white people ruled the Church for almost the entire history of the church. Until the 1900's, then everyone was let in.
#34 Posted by yoshi-lnex (5442 posts) -
My guess; Jesus doesn't exist, he is merely the works of some cleaver writers who managed to spread the myth as though it was fact, now becouse of this there are not any actual paintings of him. Europe which was mainly whites, and Christianity existed primarily in Europe, as a result the majority of paintings of a white man.
#35 Posted by buckfush311 (537 posts) -
Jesus is depicted as white because Christianity is a lie. Jesus might have existed but the bible is pure fiction. His name sure as hell wasn't Jesus Christ and he sure as hell wasn't white.

The man that Christianity is based on might have been the son of god but his message is so lost that he might as well have never lived.

Around 400-500 AD the bible was altered by kings and men who want to control men to make the masses more easily controlled. The alteration of the message has continued throughout the years. "Jesus" preached acceptance and love, and Pat Robertson, who claims to have God's phone number, says that anyone who isn't like him is what is causing all of the problems in the world. That type of person is a beacon of Christian beliefs.

Isn't it painfully obvious that God's son is lost?

Gamma waves bacterial plagues
cow mutilations all the time
not to mention visitations
more than 2000 years
of ****in' with our fears
the only thing true
we gotta love each other

try to keep a positive vibe
they make it tough for ya
you're cut off and lonely
while you hustle for dough
we can overcome the wrongs
while we're reachin' the point
stick together all forever
now continue to flow311

#36 Posted by thotoz (941 posts) -
Jesus is depicted as white because Christianity is a lie. Jesus might have existed but the bible is pure fiction. His name sure as hell wasn't Jesus Christ and he sure as hell wasn't white.

The man that Christianity is based on might have been the son of god but his message is so lost that he might as well have never lived.

Around 400-500 AD the bible was altered by kings and men who want to control men to make the masses more easily controlled. The alteration of the message has continued throughout the years. "Jesus" preached acceptance and love, and Pat Robertson, who claims to have God's phone number, says that anyone who isn't like him is what is causing all of the problems in the world. That type of person is a beacon of Christian beliefs.

[quote="311"] Gamma waves bacterial plagues
more than 2000 years
the only thing true
we gotta love each other

now continue to flowbuckfush311

We should all convert to Judaism! Or did Abraham even exist at all?! Moses?!
#37 Posted by Taegukki (13241 posts) -
[QUOTE="Belesur"]Jesus was an Arab.

:| No he ****ing wasnt, he was a Jew. Jew's have tanned skin due to the climate they live in.
#38 Posted by yoshi-lnex (5442 posts) -
[QUOTE="buckfush311"]Jesus is depicted as white because Christianity is a lie. Jesus might have existed but the bible is pure fiction. His name sure as hell wasn't Jesus Christ and he sure as hell wasn't white.

[quote="311"] Gamma waves bacterial plagues
more than 2000 years
the only thing true
we gotta love each other

now continue to flowthotoz

We should all convert to Judaism! Or did Abraham even exist at all?! Moses?!

No
#39 Posted by buckfush311 (537 posts) -
We should all find God in our own way and stop letting people dictate our minds.
#40 Posted by The_Ish (13913 posts) -
He was arab, and should be pictured as one. Too bad all the mommies and daddies would have a field day if jesus was depicted as anything but a clean cut white male:roll:familyguy77

Hebrew, actually, since Jesus was born a Jew.
#41 Posted by The___OoofMich (1327 posts) -
[QUOTE="Belesur"]Jesus was an Arab.

he was a jew
#42 Posted by Jelle87 (1333 posts) -

Yes, he wasn't white. Go to Mexico and you'll probably see a few Mexican Jesus'Carlos_Santana

They're called Jesi. 

#43 Posted by killtactics (5957 posts) -
My guess; Jesus doesn't exist, he is merely the works of some cleaver writers who managed to spread the myth as though it was fact, now becouse of this there are not any actual paintings of him. Europe which was mainly whites, and Christianity existed primarily in Europe, as a result the majority of paintings of a white man.yoshi-lnex
cleaver writer? if he manege to fool a billions plus ppl, he is more then just cleaver, he must have been the biggest genius on earth..
#44 Posted by comp_atkins (31278 posts) -
different cultures created their own images of him. but he was middle eastern and would most likely resemble modern day ppl from that region.
#45 Posted by thenarkallaptar (983 posts) -
Yah I don't think he was white at all. And this is not really a religious thread, Whatever you think of Him, Jesus did live on the earth and he is not made up there is proof of that, just as there probably is proof of Mohomad living too. However what Jesus did and said while he was on the earth makes a ton of diffrence. (but that would make it a religious thread if we start talking about beliefs.)
#46 Posted by Loonie (3455 posts) -
[QUOTE="BranKetra"]Yeah....it was to appeal to the European masses, and it stuck. Now kids can't do Christmas plays with Jesus being a darker skin tone because it'll make the moms and dads mad.liquid_s

He wasnt really tanned, he was Arabian :|
#47 Posted by Loonie (3455 posts) -
[QUOTE="The___OoofMich"][QUOTE="Belesur"]Jesus was an Arab.

he was a jew

And Judaism originated in the middle east, like christianity and islam.
#48 Posted by GameFreak315 (28485 posts) -
You'd be asking the same question if he were any other ethnicity.  I dunno why.  :P
#49 Posted by Articuno76 (18751 posts) -
I always assumed he was one of the white western/middle eastern asians.
#50 Posted by mindstorm (15242 posts) -

He was Hebrew.

He probably had that golden bronze skin tone.

SunJian18

I agree.