Why is Japan still apologizing for WW2?

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by gamerguru100 (11633 posts) -

Even in the 2010s, Japanese leaders have given apologies to China and Korea for its actions during WW2. Why? :? It was over 65 years ago.

#2 Posted by muller39 (14944 posts) -

They were quite ruthless.

#3 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
They apologize for not using their Gundam's against America.
#4 Posted by VaguelyTagged (10394 posts) -

yeah it's not fair but they happened to be on the loser's side.

#5 Posted by gamerguru100 (11633 posts) -

muller39
So was Germany, Mongolia, Britain, and France, but are they apologizing for colonizing other areas a long time ago?
#6 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
[QUOTE="muller39"]

gamerguru100
So was Germany, Mongolia, Britain, and France, but are they apologizing for colonizing other areas a long time ago?

I think Germany refuses to apologize, which is why WW2 happened. IRC after WW1 Germany wasn't allowed to have a military. Nazi military go hard.
#7 Posted by muller39 (14944 posts) -
[QUOTE="muller39"]

gamerguru100

Agreed but perhaps they just want keep being on good terms.
#8 Posted by TheWalkingGhost (5503 posts) -
Why is America still apologizing over Slavery and how this country was founded? Answer: The people doing it are idiots.
#9 Posted by TheWalkingGhost (5503 posts) -
[QUOTE="gamerguru100"][QUOTE="muller39"]

muller39

Maybe China and Korea could get over it and move on? What the rest of the world is doing.
#10 Posted by FMAB_GTO (14385 posts) -
because apologizing is kawaii desu!
#11 Posted by applesxc47 (10761 posts) -

[QUOTE="gamerguru100"][QUOTE="muller39"]

Fightingfan

I think Germany refuses to apologize, which is why WW2 happened. IRC after WW1 Germany wasn't allowed to have a military. Nazi military go hard.

It was also because WWI economically crippled Germany and they had no chance of recovering without...doing something drastic :P

#12 Posted by TheWalkingGhost (5503 posts) -

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"][QUOTE="gamerguru100"] So was Germany, Mongolia, Britain, and France, but are they apologizing for colonizing other areas a long time ago?applesxc47

It was also because WWI economically crippled Germany and they had no chance of recovering without...doing something drastic :P

You can be sarcastic, but Germany was kinda screwed over after WW1.
#13 Posted by muller39 (14944 posts) -
[QUOTE="muller39"][QUOTE="gamerguru100"] So was Germany, Mongolia, Britain, and France, but are they apologizing for colonizing other areas a long time ago?TheWalkingGhost

Maybe China and Korea could get over it and move on? What the rest of the world is doing.

Everyone should move one especially if you or your family were not involved I agree. People tend to hold grudges no pun intended from your sig ;)
#14 Posted by TheWalkingGhost (5503 posts) -
[QUOTE="muller39"][QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"][QUOTE="muller39"] Agreed but perhaps they just want keep being on good terms.

Everyone should move one especially if you or your family were not involved I agree. People tend to hold grudges no pun intended from your sig ;)

I have a sig?????
#15 Posted by applesxc47 (10761 posts) -

[QUOTE="applesxc47"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"] I think Germany refuses to apologize, which is why WW2 happened. IRC after WW1 Germany wasn't allowed to have a military. Nazi military go hard. TheWalkingGhost

I know, I said that.

#16 Posted by TheWalkingGhost (5503 posts) -

[QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"][QUOTE="applesxc47"]

applesxc47

I know, I said that.

Just seemed like with that smiley you were being sarcastic.
#17 Posted by th3warr1or (20641 posts) -
I was under the impression that Japan still hasn't apologized for Nanking.
#18 Posted by gamerguru100 (11633 posts) -
I was under the impression that Japan still hasn't apologized for Nanking. th3warr1or
I've heard their textbooks don't mention it. I think Japan has to acknowledge what they did, but they shouldn't be apologizing over and over after seventy years.
#19 Posted by Socijalisticka (1555 posts) -

Even in the 2010s, Japanese leaders have given apologies to China and Korea for its actions during WW2. Why? :? It was over 65 years ago.

gamerguru100

apologizing for lessening the actual scale of genocide != apologizing for genocide

#20 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13665 posts) -

gamerguru100

read r@pe of nanking

#21 Posted by gamerguru100 (11633 posts) -

[QUOTE="gamerguru100"]

GummiRaccoon

read r@pe of nanking

I've heard of it. But it's 2012, not 1946. People need to move on. China and Korea should move on from WW2 and the US should move on from 9/11. Most people in China and Korea today weren't alive in 1945, so they really shouldn't have a beef with Japan.
#22 Posted by muller39 (14944 posts) -
[QUOTE="muller39"][QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"]Maybe China and Korea could get over it and move on? What the rest of the world is doing.TheWalkingGhost

I have a sig?????

Avatar was what I meant. My bad.
#23 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13665 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="gamerguru100"]

gamerguru100

read r@pe of nanking

I've heard of it. But it's 2012, not 1946. People need to move on. China and Korea should move on from WW2 and the US should move on from 9/11. Most people in China and Korea today weren't alive in 1945, so they really shouldn't have a beef with Japan.

China and Japan have been adversarial for thousands of years, they aren't going to stop just because. You think the Japanese were able to be so monstrous to them if they didn't think poorly of them in the first place?

#24 Posted by CreasianDevaili (4193 posts) -

gamerguru100
You know this answer since you asked it right? Japan, China, and Korea all have differences compared to western society. Especially in Japan there is a big thing about family heritage. What the Japanese did, and in turn, done to them by, specifically the North Koreans, messes with those ideals to this very day. We shouldn't need to get into what happened in China since its been mentioned many times in threads already. Suffice to say they are still reaping what they sowed.
#25 Posted by KG86 (6021 posts) -

65 years isn't that long ago in the big scheme of things. Some people who went through these things are still alive.

#26 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
It's a Japanese thing. You keep apologizing until the other "person" asks you to stop. Then you keep apologizing.
#27 Posted by punkpunker (3341 posts) -

65 years isn't that long ago in the big scheme of things. Some people who went through these things are still alive.

KG86

this

#28 Posted by TheWalkingGhost (5503 posts) -
It's a Japanese thing. You keep apologizing until the other "person" asks you to stop. Then you keep apologizing.Zeviander
Japan: Apologize until the other dude gets pissed, and then apologize some more. America: Pretend it never happened or lie about it. Europe: Blame it on the American.
#29 Posted by gamerguru100 (11633 posts) -

[QUOTE="KG86"]

punkpunker

this

The majority living today weren't alive in '45. Should they be blamed and demanded to apologize too?
#30 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (17820 posts) -

I was under the impression that Japan still hasn't apologized for Nanking. th3warr1or

That, plus I think victims of the Japanese want an "official" apology from the Japanese government. I would guess it would be the legal and binding type that requires vote and ratification by the Japanese government (kind of like the opposite of a Declaration of War). I don't think it's happened yet though.

Individual speeches by Japanese Prime Ministers don't count. It's like demanding something in writing and notarized to boot.

#31 Posted by StryderK (3148 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="gamerguru100"]

gamerguru100

read r@pe of nanking

They should yes...But there are problems...

ie, Japanese says sorry one day, then the next says the R ape of Nanking is just a "minor incident" and "Many photographs taken during that period were "fakes"". The next, we are sorry. Then write school books that basically says "Unit 731 (Don't read about this if you have a weak stomache) is just a figment of Chinese imagination and commuist propoganda". One day announces they are sorry for comfort women, turns around and say those women were never forced and they "are volunteers who offered their lives for the "holy war" to liberate Asians from the tyranny of the white man". And to compound the problems, many class A war criminals, are buried in the Yushukuni, Japanese national cemetary and they REFUSE to take them out, with many Japanese high end politicians, especially the far right, visit it every year. It's stuff like this that STILL gets its Asain neighbor nigh the entire S Pacific rim up in arm every time Japanese do something silly. Look at around 2003 or so, when Japanese tried to apply for permanent voting memeber within the U.N. And the end result protest up and down the rim took many japanese by surprise, many were wondering, "Didn't we liberated these people during WW II? Why they hate us so much?"....There in lies your answer....

#32 Posted by one_plum (6364 posts) -

Apologizing? They're still trying to find ways to downplay their actions.

#33 Posted by RahXephon101 (501 posts) -

I agree that it is kind of ridiculous, I mean most of the people alive in Japan were born after WWII. It is important to remember the past, but at a certain point people need to move on. Think about the present, Japan is a democracy that now cares about human rights. China treates Tibet like crap and is a nation full of human rights violations.

#34 Posted by sonicare (53650 posts) -

Honestly, I dont think those apologies mean much. It makes no sense to apologize for the actions of your forefathers. You had no control over that and Japan is a much different nation than it was back in the 1940's. So is the rest of the world. Makes no sense to me to apologize for the actions of someone else.

#35 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

Honestly, I dont think those apologies mean much. It makes no sense to apologize for the actions of your forefathers. You had no control over that and Japan is a much different nation than it was back in the 1940's. So is the rest of the world. Makes no sense to me to apologize for the actions of someone else.

sonicare

I agree with that to an extent. But people do still judge others by the actions of their forefathers. As unfair as that is.

#36 Posted by bigfoot2045 (732 posts) -

Read up on the Rape of Nanking and the Bataan Death March. The Japanese commited some of the worst atrocities in human history and on a massive scale. In fact, the Japanese made the Nazis look tame and civilized by comparison.

#37 Posted by punkpunker (3341 posts) -

[QUOTE="punkpunker"]

[QUOTE="KG86"]

gamerguru100

this

The majority living today weren't alive in '45. Should they be blamed and demanded to apologize too?

statistically japanese are longer living so...

#38 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152909 posts) -

sonicare
If an apology wasn't done in the past...it's a step to better diplomatic relationships. More self serving than anything....
#40 Posted by one_plum (6364 posts) -

I agree that it is kind of ridiculous, I mean most of the people alive in Japan were born after WWII. It is important to remember the past, but at a certain point people need to move on. Think about the present, Japan is a democracy that now cares about human rights. China treates Tibet like crap and is a nation full of human rights violations.

RahXephon101

If the German government started editing history textbooks and taking an ambiguous stance on its past atrocities, people wouldn't be offended?

#41 Posted by RahXephon101 (501 posts) -

[QUOTE="RahXephon101"]

one_plum

If the German government started editing history textbooks and taking an ambiguous stance on its past atrocities, people wouldn't be offended?

I never meant that Japan should rewrite history. Their history textbooks should continue to acknowledge atrocities. My issue is when Japanese citizens born 30 years after the war have to stand up and apologize for something their ancestors did. At a certain point people are going to have to move on. Should the Japanse governemnt have to continue to apologize 100 years from now?

Also my point stands, we need to focus on current events. Japan is a democracy and advocates human rights, China is a dictatorship carrying out countless human rights violation (do you not see the hypocrisy of chinese youths demanding an apology for atrocities that they never experienced, while currently treating Tibet horribly?).

#42 Posted by ClassicRockFTW (1106 posts) -

muller39

"HEY GAIZ LETS DROP A BOMB ON A CITY TO KILL CIVILIANS, THAT'LL SHOW THOSE RUTHLESS JAPANESE!!!"

#43 Posted by thebest31406 (3629 posts) -
I wasn't aware they were still apologizing.
#44 Posted by Nibroc420 (13571 posts) -
because apologizing is kawaii desu!FMAB_GTO
/facepalm Your lack of understanding of the Japanese you write is very telling.
#45 Posted by FMAB_GTO (14385 posts) -
[QUOTE="FMAB_GTO"]because apologizing is kawaii desu!Nibroc420
/facepalm Your lack of understanding of the Japanese you write is very telling.

It means cute, and i was just saying for the sake of it.
#46 Posted by Treflis (11885 posts) -
I do think that after 65 years they can stop, most have forgiven and moved on since then. France, England and the majority of European countries including the US have forgiven Germany and it's now a allied country and well liked. Same with Italy and Japan. Yes war crimes happened, horrible things, But they happened. Nothing will change that. So it's better to move on and learn from such mistakes so you can do more good, then simply be stuck and dwell on them.
#47 Posted by gamerguru100 (11633 posts) -

[QUOTE="gamerguru100"][QUOTE="punkpunker"]

this

punkpunker

statistically japanese are longer living so...

So? Most Japanese today were still born after WW2, dude. :?
#48 Posted by one_plum (6364 posts) -

[QUOTE="one_plum"]

RahXephon101

I never meant that Japan should rewrite history. Their history textbooks should continue to acknowledge atrocities. My issue is when Japanese citizens born 30 years after the war have to stand up and apologize for something their ancestors did. At a certain point people are going to have to move on. Should the Japanse governemnt have to continue to apologize 100 years from now?

Also my point stands, we need to focus on current events. Japan is a democracy and advocates human rights, China is a dictatorship carrying out countless human rights violation (do you not see the hypocrisy of chinese youths demanding an apology for atrocities that they never experienced, while currently treating Tibet horribly?).

The issue isn't really against the Japanese people; it's more on the stance taken by the government and the officials. Similarly, many people (including many Chinese) still lambast the Chinese government's involvement in the Tiananamen Square protests, demanding apology and compensation to this day because they still assume no responsibility.

#49 Posted by OB-47 (10909 posts) -

At least it's better than pretending it didn't happen

#50 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12017 posts) -

It's one thing for a prime minister or other official to apologize and another for the country to apologize and that is where many people still harbor a resentment towards Japan, the lack of a formal, Diet (Japanese Parliament) voted on one. People are wanting on offical apology.