Why I think that history is very important.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 0

#1 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

Many people seem to regard an understanding of history as unimportant or irrelevant. In fact, many times, I have heard/read people claim that "history does not matter because all those people are dead anyway." This troubles me greatly.

Don't misunderstand me, I am not saying that everybody should find history interesting, I am simply saying that everyone should have a respect and understanding of it. Why? Well, let me explain.

An understanding of history provides an understanding of the present. For example, I was recently on 9gag, and there was a picture of a museum replica of Hiroshima before and after the bombing. Many people in the comments claimed that the bombing was a war crime and that the United States are hypocrites for bombing Japan and calling it justice, yet calling 9/11 a tragedy.

See, if these people had a proper understanding of the significance of the historical events in question, they would have the sense to realize WHY things happened the way they happened.

And there are many examples of such ignorance, and I think it is a shame.

What are your opinions, OT?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

Well there are interesting stories in history that history class doesn't deem necessary to teach. For example President Lyndon Johnson named his penis jumbo and whipped it out from time to time to members of his cabinet.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

Iv probably on heard a tiny tiny minority claim that history isnt important or doesnt matter. The most frquent complaint I hear is that it is boring.

Im fascinated by history, boring is one word I would simply never use to describe the knowledge you can gain from looking at amazing events in the past. Ask my girlfriend however, and she would rather watch Friends back to back while I read a book on Stalingrad. Its different for everyone, Id laugh in someone's face for saying its not important but if they simply dont enjoy it then they have that choice.

I couldnt care less about economics for example, im aware its important, im aware people should take an interest in stuff that directly effects them, but do I give a single shit about learning economics despite that?

NOPE.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58896 Posts

Like that Samurai man who made a wooden sword while paddling over and whacked the man of the head. Very history.

demon-returns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 demon-returns
Member since 2007 • 1451 Posts

unfortunately this thread has now become....................................

History

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I've never heard someone say that history isn't important.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

History is very important yes; its just hard to make money off of it.

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 top_lel
Member since 2014 • 886 Posts

Anyone who thinks history is irrelevant or unimportant simply doesn't have the courage to learn from the past's mistakes.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts
Loading Video...

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Kevlar101

@JangoWuzHere said:

I've never heard someone say that history isn't important.

So I guess you account for everybody then

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts
@GazaAli said:

It's hard to make money off any science these days.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@elkoldo said:
@GazaAli said:

It's hard to make money off any science these days.

It greatly helps when your major isn't LGBT studies however

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

History is written by the victors, so its not worth much.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

@DaBrainz: was about to say that

I mean just take history as a fantasy and it's quite entertaining

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@Kevlar101 said:

Many people seem to regard an understanding of history as unimportant or irrelevant. In fact, many times, I have heard/read people claim that "history does not matter because all those people are dead anyway." This troubles me greatly.

Don't misunderstand me, I am not saying that everybody should find history interesting, I am simply saying that everyone should have a respect and understanding of it. Why? Well, let me explain.

An understanding of history provides an understanding of the present. For example, I was recently on 9gag, and there was a picture of a museum replica of Hiroshima before and after the bombing. Many people in the comments claimed that the bombing was a war crime and that the United States are hypocrites for bombing Japan and calling it justice, yet calling 9/11 a tragedy.

See, if these people had a proper understanding of the significance of the historical events in question, they would have the sense to realize WHY things happened the way they happened.

I saw that on 9GAG too. They aren't exactly the sharpest tools in the shed.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Kevlar101

@gamerguru100 said:

@Kevlar101 said:

I typed out a three-post rant explaining the significance of the bombing. I wonder if anyone acknowledged it.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

History is great, it's full of fun facts and general knowledge and it makes a lot of things in the present funny. For example that one time a few years ago a US governor proposed returning to the gold standard. I had my lols. Or when banks gave away subprime loans to pretty much everybody. Hilarious.

Edit: In all seriousness, I think people underestimate the use of basic history knowledge, and it's a damn shame. At the same time, however, I think schools teach it incorrectly. Learning the flaws and errors committed in the past and how to avoid/rectify them is useful, memorising Kings, Queens and Constitutions, quite honestly, is not.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@Kevlar101 said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@Kevlar101 said:

I typed out a three-post rant explaining the significance of the bombing. I wonder if anyone acknowledged it.

Maybe two people, LOL

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Kevlar101

I have a friend who once told me that she thinks that even if the Axis had won World War Two, the world wouldn't be all that different than it is now.

I couldn't help it, I laughed.

crazyguy111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 crazyguy111
Member since 2013 • 406 Posts

@Kevlar101:

I agree

GamerNerdTalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 1

#23 GamerNerdTalk
Member since 2011 • 341 Posts

I am not doubting that history is important but to some people it is a complete waste of time.

@Kevlar101 said:

But the biggest thing is when you get into the career oriented world, everyone that is in the public school education are not all going to be historians of philosophers. Most of them will own businesses, become skilled trades people or do other jobs to help the economy. Historians and Philosophers do nothing for our economy, atleast not a large number of them

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

To be honest, we don't seem to learn from past mistakes.