Why I finally feel feminism is necessary

• 124 results
#1 Edited by TrueChartreuse (65 posts) -

Like many guys, I often saw feminism as counterintuitive to gender equality. I laughed at feminism, mocked it, and generally saw it as one big farce.

I would go on Women's Right Network Facebook page and purposely get in arguments with feminists there.

Then, I saw this posted on their page, and it made me reevaluate my whole opinion:

I am a heterosexual male...what do I know about the plight of women. Really? What do I know? I can't judge a situation I'm not affected by, and I have to admit, the problems listed here are legitimate. If I were a woman, heck I probably would be upset about this.

The problems facing women are real.

Real men won't make fun of feminism, they'll help bring it about!

#2 Posted by lostrib (34543 posts) -

You think feminism is necessary because of a bunch of bullshit?

#3 Edited by Barbariser (6724 posts) -

I'm pretty damn feminist and I don't know what's up with #4. Are they trying to destroy their own list or what?

@lostrib said:

No, he thinks feminism is necessary because women are still disadvantaged to men economically, politically, socially and culturally and feminism is pretty much the only societal force that is willing and able to change all of that for the better.

#5 Posted by -ParaNormaN- (763 posts) -

I have never heard of a woman being paid less at the jobs I've had. Men wanting your body more than your personality is complete bullshit and is a stereotype itself. Time to become a Meninist.

#6 Posted by thegerg (14859 posts) -

2- Simply not true.

3- Again, not true. Men generally provide more of the type of labor that employers want to buy, it has nothing to do with the sex or gender of the employee. Men generally work for the same employer longer, take less personal time off, and work more dangerous jobs in more hazardous condition. That's why they get paid more, not because they have a penis.

4- I'm not sure what that is in reference to.

5- Many men are too.

#7 Posted by thehig1 (1400 posts) -

@truechartreuse: why did that make you change your opnion ? Bar point 1 all the points are either wrong or dont make sense

#8 Edited by lostrib (34543 posts) -

@Barbariser: well I don't remember when feminism became about owning men

#9 Posted by gamerguru100 (10502 posts) -

WTF #4?

#10 Edited by SpartanMSU (3440 posts) -

@Barbariser: Let me know when women make up at least half of STEM majors. Until then, shut up.

#11 Posted by Jacanuk (4222 posts) -

LOL this thread....

These threads are as needed as feminismen is.

#12 Edited by Born_Lucky (1617 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Exactly.

The biggest problem we have in America, is whining losers, complaining that the "group" they belong to should be treated differently than everyone else, at the same time they say they want to be treated the same as everyone else.

I've worked plenty of jobs where women got the same pay, but were incapable of doing the same amount of work.

#13 Posted by dave123321 (33784 posts) -

Let's not lose sight of the issue of inequality you guys

#15 Posted by Ackad (3159 posts) -

I support feminists, but not extremists.

#16 Posted by Kevlar101 (6072 posts) -

Oh god this is pathetic.

#17 Posted by EasyComeEasyGo (584 posts) -

1-There aren't that many Females ruining for Presidential Election and when there are selected as Presidential, it's up to that female to show us why you want to be President and give us a reason to Vote you.

2-I have seen few Man only date females for there bodies like big tits or booty but that's just the way it is and the same goes for females who like to date man for who has bigger muscles or good looking and that's what we call preference.

3-Gamespot had an article related to this about man get paid more then females so this is pretty much further from the truth. Seriously look it up, Gamespot cover that a few weeks.

4-I don't know what the Fuck that's about.

5-whether you want kids or not, everything happens for a reason and this goes for both genders.

All in all, I usually don't care about feminism, I treat people with respect.

#18 Posted by TehFuneral (8036 posts) -

Males and females will never be equal.

There are certain things in life in which women are better at, and there are other things in which men are better at.

I don't mind feminism per say, however I do find it annoying when extreme feminists kick in. Women should be respected and given similar status among their counterpart men, however when feminists start acting as if men have stolen their livelihood that irritates me. Want something? Work for it.

As for jokes, there will always be sexist jokes. They should accept it and learn to smartly retaliate. Heck, they can go ahead and make male jokes.

#19 Posted by Barbariser (6724 posts) -
@lostrib said:

You'll notice, if you read the very first sentence of what I posted, that I called this out. Although it is so typical of anti-feminists to harp on and exaggerate little details as some kind of trump card instead of addressing the overall message, probably because they know that if they try to challenge feminists in that way they'll lose very badly.

@Barbariser: Let me know when women make up at least half of STEM majors. Until then, shut up.

Case in point.

#20 Posted by lostrib (34543 posts) -
@lostrib said:

You'll notice, if you read the very first sentence of what I posted, that I called this out. Although it is so typical of anti-feminists to harp on and exaggerate little details as some kind of trump card instead of addressing the overall message, probably because they know that if they try to challenge feminists in that way they'll lose very badly.

so you called me out for a list that you admit is actually bullshit?

#21 Posted by Barbariser (6724 posts) -
@lostrib said:
@Barbariser said:
@lostrib said:

No, I told you why feminism is necessary.

#22 Posted by lostrib (34543 posts) -

@lostrib said:
@Barbariser said:
@lostrib said:

I didn't say feminism wasn't necessary, I was commenting on his change of opinion due to some bullshit list on facebook

#23 Posted by TrueChartreuse (65 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Barbariser said:
@lostrib said:
@Barbariser said:
@lostrib said:

I didn't say feminism wasn't necessary, I was commenting on his change of opinion due to some bullshit list on facebook

How exactly is this a bullshit list?

#24 Posted by lostrib (34543 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Barbariser said:

How exactly is this a bullshit list?

because one of things they want to change is that women can't own men as property...

#25 Edited by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

Apparently, the TC doesn't have a brain to think through those stupid questions.

#26 Posted by foxhound_fox (87712 posts) -

Feminism was necessary when women were considered the property of their husbands and couldn't vote. Now women can live on their own, work, vote and make all their own life decisions and get all the same rights as men. Feminism is no longer necessary.

As for your list:

1. There wasn't a non-white president until 2008.
  2. Define "everybody".
  3. Depends on the industry/field.
  4. I wonder why? This wouldn't be equality.
  5. Last I checked, abortion was still legal.
#27 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6753 posts) -

Until all women realize that equal rights is not conditional, then the feminist plight will go nowhere.

#28 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (3793 posts) -

Feminists just be salty they're the weaker sex.

#29 Posted by magicalclick (22448 posts) -

Hmmm.... No problem for me. I am gay. And I want another man for their body, of course, also offer my body. It is a win win.

As for jobs, it is getting popular to have girls ad CEO because they have less chance of scandals.

Not having the child they wants? Getting rapped is illegal. Otherwise it is normally the girl wants one and the guy doesn't.

#30 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (1388 posts) -

The only one of those points I found sympathetic towards is that women are judged mostly on how they look, and not the person they are. Which is counterproductive because I've been with a bunch of good looking women who were total bitches on the inside.

#31 Posted by Ballroompirate (22555 posts) -

Feminist now and days are a whole different kind of feminists from the ones 50 ish years ago. The ones now and days are just females who think they are better than men aka sexists.

#32 Posted by Master_Live (14191 posts) -

The label has become toxic.

#33 Posted by Gamerno6666 (521 posts) -

No.2 is just sad and wtf is up with no. 4? lol.

#34 Posted by osirisx3 (1756 posts) -

why does the atheist community keep talking about feminism? No more right wingers to fight so now they are attacking women.

#35 Posted by indzman (17245 posts) -

Until all women realize that equal rights is not conditional, then the feminist plight will go nowhere.

#36 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2419 posts) -

Nah.Women belong in the kitchen.

#37 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58095 posts) -

Take your bra off.

#38 Edited by RadecSupreme (4639 posts) -

Let me do some heterosexual male problems too then shall we? To even out the scale.

1.Men are considered scum if they hit a female in self defense

2.Everyone cares more about your money then you as a person.

3.No matter the job you are expected to do more than a female and have less breaks and vacations as well as expected to do physical labor.

4.Men in dangerous situations are the ones expected to make a sacrifice be it their own lives or anything they have to save their counterpart otherwise considered a coward and scum for a life time.

5. You're expected to fund and take care of children you may not want.

#39 Edited by Celldrax (14565 posts) -

'The problems facing women are real.'

kek.

#40 Posted by TrueChartreuse (65 posts) -

There are so many guys in this thread that really need to grow up. I mean that seriously, I would expect this kind of ignorance and selfishness from middle schoolers, but you guys should be better than this. I feel sorry for society having to deal with the 2000s generation.

#41 Edited by Treflis (11480 posts) -

I support those that did as the women in the 50-60ties and onwards to the early 90ties did, fight for equality within workplace and under law.

What I don't support are those that instead of trying to find ways to solve those issues instead just go on the blame route and that it's the fault of all men and how horrible we all are because of it without actually dealing with the issues they're blaming us for, or those feminists that stand on the shoulder of those that fought in the past to ensure women freedom to behave, pursue their goals and dress how they want, and then point and tell them to stop doing that and instead behave like they want women to do.

#42 Posted by TheFlush (5516 posts) -

Many people aren't aware how privileged they are being a white heterosexual male, they can't see that simply being of a certain group has disadvantages in this society. I'm pro feminist not pro feminazi though ;-)

#43 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@Ackad said:

I support feminists, but not extremists.

I was reading this thread and trying to think what to say and I think your words fit best what I wished to say.

#44 Posted by RadecSupreme (4639 posts) -

There are so many guys in this thread that really need to grow up. I mean that seriously, I would expect this kind of ignorance and selfishness from middle schoolers, but you guys should be better than this. I feel sorry for society having to deal with the 2000s generation.

Oh, you're just a troll. Well that settles that.

#45 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

This is a gaming site. A large part of the community is actually middle school kids. Well that and high school.

#46 Posted by seahorse123 (1228 posts) -

Men or women we have a common enemy the globalists who try to divide us and make us fight each other, we need to fight them.

#47 Posted by sibu_xgamer (332 posts) -

I think many people misunderstand what feminism is about including many so called feminists out there. Of course the social equality is an important part of feminism but there's also a deep philosophical justification which accepts that men and women are naturally different but complementary. In the end feminism can be beneficial for both sexes not just for women since we, as men, are also affected negatively by an overly patriarchal and male-driven society.

#48 Edited by TrueChartreuse (65 posts) -

@RadecSupreme said:

@truechartreuse said:

The word "troll" has been thrown around so much that it has damn near lost it's meaning (just like term SJW) and now it's commonplace to call anyone who disagrees with your opinion a troll just so you don't have to put any sort of effort into actually having a mature discussion with that person, which you're clearly doing now.

I'm pretty sure that makes you the troll, or at least shows your lack of debating skills.

#49 Posted by RadecSupreme (4639 posts) -

@RadecSupreme said:

@truechartreuse said:

The word "troll" has been thrown around so much that it has damn near lost it's meaning (just like term SJW) and now it's commonplace to call anyone who disagrees with your opinion a troll just so you don't have to put any sort of effort into actually having a mature discussion with that person, which you're clearly doing now.

I'm pretty sure that makes you the troll, or at least shows your lack of debating skills.

You have 32 posts and your comment is not debating, just insulting people. I don't see you debating anyone just calling people "middle schoolers". In other words, you're a troll.

#50 Posted by comp_atkins (31269 posts) -

lol #1 isn't really a problem...