Why has society turn so feminist lately?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

First of all let me clear this out the way, being a feminist is not the same as standing up for equality (which is a problem by itself too cuz there are things in life that simple cannot be made equal).

Why has society as of late is so defensive and easily offended by anything that might relate to women?

I just saw this video and I've never seen so much truth in one place.

I see people jump up in furry about similar this, and are always claiming that men are always trying sexualize women and that companies and whatever are always trying to capture the young adult male audience because its men that run all these companies and oppress woman and commercially sexualizes them.

This video was great, and Im curious if there is anyone here that could possibly not agree with it. What do you think? What is really the problem?

Is it that society is just way too feminist today, or that men are really evil and women are oppressed?

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

Took three days but I managed to get my thread back after it was instantly removed when I posted it. Apparently a mod didnt like it and removed for no reason.

Fight the Powah!

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I like that video.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

Agree on all points.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

why does the atheist community hate women now? Feels like when they get bored of dumb religious people they go after others.

I_Return

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By I_Return
Member since 2014 • 873 Posts

Because society prefers bullshit these days.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@osirisx3 said:

why does the atheist community hate women now? Feels like when they get bored of dumb religious people they go after others.

I guess since religeous people have done it for thousands of year they thought they would give it a spin? oh wait... this has nothing to do with athiesm....

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

So.........does this mean Time is going to be hiring comic books editors anytime soon?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

that video, pretty much says all that needs to be said about this

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

Factional dipshits on the internet =/= society

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#11 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

that video, pretty much says all that needs to be said about this

Exactly!

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#12 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

It's the cool thing to do right now, feminists don't complain about equal pay or anything like that. They bitch about pop culture and art

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

I don't really notice it other than internet message boards. Everything to me seems to be focused on race and sexual orientation.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#14 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

He is always so angry; I like his videos =P

As for this particular one, I think he said everything already.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

feminists don't complain about equal pay or anything like that

...yes...yes they do.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 The_Last_Ride

@SaintLeonidas said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

...yes...yes they do.

No they don't, i have not seen many feminists do that. I am a humanist, i want equality for all, no matter what race, gender, etc. What i have seen both here in europe and us is not what i would call feminism, in the sense of what the original movement was decades ago

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#17  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

...yes...yes they do.

No they don't, i have not seen many feminists do that. I am a humanist, i want equality for all, no matter what race, gender, etc. What i have seen both here in europe and us is not what i would call feminism, in the sense of what the original movement was decades ago

You are right that the gaming feminists doesn't mention the fight for equal pay but the more serious feminists (oxymoron) is fighting for equal pay and to shatter the "glass ceiling" among other things

But feminists like Anita and the few who roam on this board, doesn't want equality in that sense they want to rid the world of genders because in their feeble mind they are exactly like men and there are absolutely no difference that isn't made up by our society or the few obvious once who have zero importance because we unfortunately have become a place where people are allowed to and willingly mutilated themselves.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SaintLeonidas

@The_Last_Ride said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

...yes...yes they do.

"No they don't....I have not seen MANY..." You refuted yourself in the same sentence...

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 The_Last_Ride

@SaintLeonidas said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

...yes...yes they do.

"No they don't....I have not seen MANY..." You refuted yourself in the same sentence...

Yeah, so where are they? We get stuck with feminists like this

Loading Video...

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 The_Last_Ride

@Jacanuk: as i said, i support those who actually do that. I just haven't seen many of those

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#21  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

A better question is: why do the manchildren on GS get so hostile at even the slightest feminist POV?

amillionhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By amillionhp
Member since 2008 • 773 Posts

@The_Last_Ride:

Equal pay? ......lol.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G_sGn6PdmIo

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

Well that guy just earned a sub from me.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

That video is perfect.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts
Loading Video...

These feminists are just insane that even sane women can see it.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@Nengo_Flow:

I didn't watch the video as of this writing, but hasn't society been like this since women started to vote?

Or can we blame Eleanor Roosevelt?

dirtymurphy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dirtymurphy24
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@vl4d_l3nin said:

Factional dipshits on the internet =/= society

This. You don't really think feminists go outside and socialize, do you?

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

A better question is: why do the the manchildren on GS get so hostile at even the slightest feminist POV?

Because they're manchildren.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

Trend, phase, bandwagon, take your pick. A lot of people who claim to be feminists are not true feminists. They just so happened to hop on the bandwagon because they want to belong to something "positive" without realizing how negative of an effect they actually are. True feminists are the ones who dedicate their lives to that cause. The facebook/twitter/internet militant feminist is a liar and only causes people to see negative things about them. You can tell who is a phoney in person too. They are the ones who sound like they don't know what the hell they are talking about and have really weak arguments to counter yours. The phoneys are usually the ones who claim that they want equal rights but have never experienced their rights being violated or actually talk about being superior to men. These are the people that make me roll my eyes and have no credibility at all.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#30  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Pffrbt said:

@GreySeal9 said:

A better question is: why do the the manchildren on GS get so hostile at even the slightest feminist POV?

Correct, being against feminism in gaming is childish. ......... or something

But no being against the kind of feminism we see in gaming world and Anita and her friends stand for is not childish, its having common sense.

Being against real "feminism" meaning against the fight for equal pay for equal work etc, might be childish.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

Speaking of feminism ...

http://www.debunker.com/patriarchy.html

... the facts fly in the face of what many people have been led to believe.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

Want to know what the real crime here is? The people complaining about the Spiderwoman cover look at this like it's the worst thing to happen to women when in Hollywood movies, women are displayed nude, get tossed around, get raped and are usually displayed as the weak characters in action and horror films. Instead of looking at this as a problem, they praise the actresses for their performance instead. I don't know about you guys but, that is the biggest case of hypocrisy I have ever seen.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@Pffrbt said:

@GreySeal9 said:

oh ofcourse, we should all accept what the feminists say because "its the right thing to do" ... you 2 think your clever? none of us get worked up about LEGIT feminist issues, its crap like this.... and the video posted above.

If nobody speaks up then it gets accepted.... but yea, go defend the crazier end of the feminists "POV" you too.. well done.

I mean, its not like every other species on the planet looks for mates in the wild/streets .... god forbid we find a woman attractive and look at her. I think it's completely stupid for woman to dress up to the 9s "To feel pretty" then HATE it when men ackowledge and approach them based on this... when its clearly our NATURE.... its like THIS spectrum of feminism just hates men so much...... and we are the sexists?

amillionhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By amillionhp

I see people are still going on an on about "real feminist issues" nonsense such as wage gap even after i posted the video. Well, it was just a link that requires a copy/paste so i'll just assume extreme laziness is the culprit and post the video directly instead. Maybe now the message will sink in.

Loading Video...

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SaintLeonidas

@Wickerman777 said:

Speaking of feminism ...

http://www.debunker.com/patriarchy.html

... the facts fly in the face of what many people have been led to believe.

Not sure if a joke, or you didn't put any thought into this... because a video from like the 70's, of a guy simply stating his view based on his own "observations" (without offering any actual reports/stats/papers, etc.) is not FACT, in any way.

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SambaLele
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts

These issues are not simple to discuss, and no, society is not "so feminist". Actually, it's only been more inclusive and diverse, and feminism is in great part a huge contributor to it. But it's still a ways to go.

It's just that many that today label themselves feminists are not actually adopting a position towards equality (which is the very point behind feminism), but of oppression towards constructing a new ideological hegemony which is intended to destroy patriarchy. The result can't be of social equality, since it's based on intolerance towards opposition, censorship and a new highly hierarchical structure of their own making, when they are supposedly intending to avoid social systems dependent on unequal hierarchies. It's a paradox, and some would say what I'm saying is the "no true scottsman" fallacy, for saying that these are not true feminists.

But it's not a fallacy. Simply because to be a fallacy you must exaggerate elements that are meaningless, trying to create an exception to it. But when a necessary basic, most important element is missed, it's not the fallacy.

Wikipedia's example is great to illustrate:

Person A: "No Scotsman puts sugar on his porridge."

Person B: "I am Scottish, and I put sugar on my porridge."

Person A: "Well, no true Scotsman puts sugar on his porridge."

That is a "no true scottsman" fallacy, because the behavior of putting sugar on his porridge has no effect on his nationality.

But if he's not born in Scotland, he's not scottish to begin with, thus, that's not a fallacy. So if he calls himself a scottish, because he acts like a scottish, or thinks like a scottish, etc., that still doesn't make him scottish, in the case of "person B" not being born there or having adopted the nationality in another derivative legal way.

True feminists are like Christina H. Sommers, who defend universal equality, through a discourse of tolerance, respecting diversity even if it may offend you.

Current self entitled feminists are not feminists, because they only declare to be defending equality, but they are actually trying to erase media content and cultural behavior that they seem offensive to them, and because they offend them. It's a censorship, thought control and male shaming culture, stretched from a false academical justification that is based on false cause fallacies that try to explain that those cultural elements furthers and perpetuate patriarchy and unequal hierarchies that hinder women rights. But I emphasize, they miss the very basic element of what is to be a feminist, which is to thrive for tolerance and equality on all terms, which involves, for example, seeking for change through understanding, not conflict.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#38  Edited By whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

Maybe some people feel that if they are not feminist then they are liable to being accused of being sexist. Of course saying that one is either sexist or feminist is a false dichotomy.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#40 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

There's nothing wrong in my eyes with being for the equality of men and women but I do take issue with people who immediately translate just about all media they consume through a feminist lens. It's frankly annoying.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Simple reason, because we either have very thin skin or/and we go out of our way to find things to be offended and outraged over.

Of course one should speak out against something that offends you but It does seem that many are going out of their way of finding something with everything lately.

Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

@-paranorman- said:

Want to know what the real crime here is? The people complaining about the Spiderwoman cover look at this like it's the worst thing to happen to women when in Hollywood movies, women are displayed nude, get tossed around, get raped and are usually displayed as the weak characters in action and horror films. Instead of looking at this as a problem, they praise the actresses for their performance instead. I don't know about you guys but, that is the biggest case of hypocrisy I have ever seen.

If you think there's no feminist critique of female portrayal in Hollywood movies, you're obviously not looking. Like at all.

The reason the Spiderwoman cover got criticized is because it's such a laughably pathetic example. I don't know that anyone was particularly outraged, but it got the ridicule it deserved.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

oh ofcourse, we should all accept what the feminists say because "its the right thing to do" ... you 2 think your clever? none of us get worked up about LEGIT feminist issues, its crap like this.... and the video posted above.

If nobody speaks up then it gets accepted.... but yea, go defend the crazier end of the feminists "POV" you too.. well done.

I mean, its not like every other species on the planet looks for mates in the wild/streets .... god forbid we find a woman attractive and look at her. I think it's completely stupid for woman to dress up to the 9s "To feel pretty" then HATE it when men ackowledge and approach them based on this... when its clearly our NATURE.... its like THIS spectrum of feminism just hates men so much...... and we are the sexists?

Nice job proving what you were arguing against.

amillionhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 amillionhp

@SaintLeonidas:

Ok, I'll assume your response was intended for me since you're talking about an "old video" and mistakenly replied to someone else. If not, then disregard this post.

The fact that the video is old doesn't really help the common feminist angle here. If anything, wasn't misogyny and blatant sexism more rampant before than it is now? There was a pay gap issue then, and there is a pay gap issue now right? So if gender discrimination in pay was debunked a long time ago.... how does it become more relevant now?

Why exactly does he have to offer counter stats? If someone uses statistics as a basis for saying:

"it is clear, there is gender discrimination from employers based on pay differences",

it is perfectly legitimate to question how those statistics were categorized. Because common sense should dictate that different categories of people will place differently on a pay scale, categories that are not directly connected to gender. A dumbed-down version of what i'm saying is for example if a large majority of women work only part time compared to men as a statistic, then obviously they wont make as much money. So you can't just sweep everybody left and right into gender categories, and claim discrimination entirely off that. In order to get a fair study, people have to be separated into comparable categories. That was his point. Weather he provides proof of his own findings and studies doesn't matter. He can just question if she properly categorized people on the study or not and he knows she obviously didn't obtain that, so that is the only point that needs to be made.

Burden of proof. If you/anyone/whoever want to make accusations of discrimination, its should be in your court to prove that. Not say "well prove there isn'tdiscrimination".

Blutfahne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Blutfahne
Member since 2014 • 276 Posts
Loading Video...

It's the truth the question is can you accept it?