Why don't people capitalise "I" anymore?

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by bigboss423 (113 posts) -

I have relised that hardly anyone does it.

#2 Posted by solidfish30 (676 posts) -
i don't know.
#3 Posted by bigboss423 (113 posts) -

Me either.

#4 Posted by johnd13 (7821 posts) -

Because of lazyness maybe? Or maybe lower I is cool now.

#5 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12686 posts) -

I always do unless I'm txting, and then I only don't because to cap I have to navigate menus, and then do the same to uncap.

#6 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7242 posts) -

Ask steve jobs.

#7 Posted by lamprey263 (22468 posts) -
sometimes I can't tell I did it and then when I notice I don't care to edit my post to fix it
#8 Posted by 001011000101101 (3916 posts) -
Laziness.
#9 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -
Quit being so egotistical, only those who think they're super special feel the need to emphasize themselves in written word. i dont see the issue, as the meaning doesn't change, be it "i" or "I"
#10 Posted by mindstorm (15242 posts) -
Why is it people do not know the difference between "s" and "z" when spelling?
#11 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -
Why is it people do not know the difference between "s" and "z" when spelling?mindstorm
Someone spelt spelling "zpelling?"
#12 Posted by mindstorm (15242 posts) -

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]Why is it people do not know the difference between "s" and "z" when spelling?Nibroc420

capitalize/capitalise and realised/realized.

Edit 1: That is, unless it is a local way of spelling that I am not familiar with (aka, not American English spelling). 

Edit 2: Google seems to point that it can indeed. I do not know that I have ever actually come across these spellings.

#13 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="mindstorm"]Why is it people do not know the difference between "s" and "z" when spelling?mindstorm

That is, unless it is a local way of spelling that I am not familiar with (aka, not American English spelling). 

Capitalize can be spelt capitialise.

He did spell realize wrong in the original post, however it only has the z in american english. the UK and Australia use realise.

#14 Posted by MrPraline (21284 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="mindstorm"]Why is it people do not know the difference between "s" and "z" when spelling?mindstorm

Edit 1: That is, unless it is a local way of spelling that I am not familiar with (aka, not American English spelling). 

Edit 2: Google seems to point that it can indeed. I do not know that I have ever actually come across these spellings.

Realise, capitalise etc is the British spelling.
#15 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

Realise, capitalise etc is the English spelling.MrPraline

Fixed.

#16 Posted by mindstorm (15242 posts) -
[QUOTE="mindstorm"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] Someone spelt spelling "zpelling?"MrPraline

Realise, capitalise etc is the British spelling.

We speak English here, not British. (joke)
#17 Posted by cheese_game619 (13316 posts) -
typical ignorant bible thumping yankee
#18 Posted by chunkowookie (268 posts) -

Quit being so egotistical, only those who think they're super special feel the need to emphasize themselves in written word. i dont see the issue, as the meaning doesn't change, be it "i" or "I"Nibroc420

Actually it does. "I", the pronoun, has to be capitalized. If it's not, it's not the same word. 

According to the dictionary, "i" (lower case) is a noun, and has a few definitions:

1. the ninth letter of the English alphabet, a vowel.

2. any spoken sound represented by the letter I  or i, as in big, nice, or ski.

3. something having the shape of an I.

4. a written or printed representation of the letter I  or i.

5. a device, as a printer's type, for reproducing the letter I  or i.
A capitalized "I" is a different word, it's a pronoun, and is defined as "the nominative singular pronoun, used by a speaker in referring to himself or herself."

#19 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]Quit being so egotistical, only those who think they're super special feel the need to emphasize themselves in written word. i dont see the issue, as the meaning doesn't change, be it "i" or "I"chunkowookie

Actually it does. "I", the pronoun, has to be capitalized. If it's not, it's not the same word. 

According to the dictionary, "i" (lower case) is a noun, and has a few definitions:

1. the ninth letter of the English alphabet, a vowel.

2. any spoken sound represented by the letter I  or i,  as in big,nice,  or ski.
3. something having the shape of an I.
4. a written or printed representation of the letter I  or i.
5. a device, as a printer's type, for reproducing the letter I  or i.
A capitalized "I" is a different word, it's a pronoun, and is defined as "the nominative singular pronoun, used by a speaker in referring to himself or herself."

I suggest you look up connotation and denotation. both give words meaning.
#20 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36704 posts) -
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]Quit being so egotistical, only those who think they're super special feel the need to emphasize themselves in written word. i dont see the issue, as the meaning doesn't change, be it "i" or "I"

hahahahaha You can be such a tool sometimes
#21 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

What kinda irritates me about this little special in english written language...why "I", but why not "me" etc. as well?

#22 Posted by LAN7ERN (373 posts) -
I always capitalize them and I guess the people who do not either do not care or do not have the proper education.
#23 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

I do. :cool:

#24 Posted by thegerg (14426 posts) -
It's either ignorance or laziness.
#25 Posted by airshocker (28360 posts) -

Because they're lazy.

#26 Posted by leviathan91 (7763 posts) -

yo man i dunt no but peeple jus be trippen dawg.

I blame texting and the fact that times change.

#27 Posted by KiIIyou (27112 posts) -
Cause they look like little L'ssssss
#28 Posted by leviathan91 (7763 posts) -

Cause they look like little L'ssssssKikuyu

I and l look nothing alike.

#29 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

b/c im lazy

#30 Posted by airshocker (28360 posts) -

b/c im lazy

coolbeans90

Why did you unfriend me on Steam? Asshole

#31 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

b/c im lazy

airshocker

Why did you unfriend me on Steam? Asshole

Name change, lol.

#32 Posted by airshocker (28360 posts) -

Name change, lol.

coolbeans90

wait, what did you change it to? Maybe I removed you accidentally. -_-

#33 Posted by Nude_Dude (5371 posts) -
Why is it people do not know the difference between "s" and "z" when spelling?mindstorm
it'z zazzy
#34 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

Name change, lol.

airshocker

wait, what did you change it to? Maybe I removed you accidentally. -_-

Apparently, you did. It's a long story. I'll readd.

#35 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12686 posts) -

Quit being so egotistical, only those who think they're super special feel the need to emphasize themselves in written word. i dont see the issue, as the meaning doesn't change, be it "i" or "I"Nibroc420

How you present yourself is 100% how people percieve you. On a medium where people only have your written word to go by, that's how you'll be judge. Like it or not.

#36 Posted by airshocker (28360 posts) -

How you present yourself is 100% how people percieve you. On a medium where people only have your written word to go by, that's how you'll be judge. Like it or not.

br0kenrabbit

Truth.

#37 Posted by The_Gaming_Baby (6335 posts) -

I find that more people spell "we're" as "were"

It annoys me

#38 Posted by metroidprime55 (17657 posts) -
I always capitalize the "i". I don't get all worked up when somebody doesn't capitalize it though, although I find it strange when otherwise intelligent people don't capitalize it though but they can do whatever they want.
#39 Posted by Jd1680a (5902 posts) -

Just to point out that writers are generally lazy and will create new words to make it easier to write. For example tomorrow use to be to-morrow before someone decided to take out the -.

Not capitalizing the I is pretty much the same rule of thumb, laziness. saying i walked to the store this morning vs I walked to the store this morning will have the same outcome. Only difference is the person thinks its an inconvenience to hit the shift key.

#40 Posted by BPoole96 (22771 posts) -

I still do it. The only lazy typing abbreviation I make is using bc instead of because

#41 Posted by jaqulle999 (2897 posts) -

i always capatlize I.

#42 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
i do not have the slightest clue. i am at a complete loss.
#43 Posted by comp_atkins (31109 posts) -

Because of lazyness maybe? Or maybe lower I is cool now.

johnd13
laziness is the reason for all my grammatical unfaithfulness
#44 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10101 posts) -
I don't know. I do, though.
#45 Posted by ziggyww (835 posts) -
Most of them doesn't care for grammar, or their English language and often to thick to understand how to write properly.
#47 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13593 posts) -

i do

#48 Posted by Gaming-Planet (13730 posts) -

I usually don't do it when I'm drunk/high. 

#49 Posted by Celldrax (14532 posts) -

Because texting has made people lazy (I realise some probably post from their phone at times, but still).

#50 Posted by WickedChainy (285 posts) -
because if you want me to capitalize anything i'm going to turn on CRUISE CONTROL AND CAPITALIZE EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!