Why doesn't Gamespot have any non-white reviewers??

• 79 results
#1 Posted by mrduckbears3 (104 posts) -

Gamespot or IGN for that matter have no asians, blacks or hispanic game reviewers which i find surprising considering having opinions by various racial groups is a good indicator for racial diversity and for gaming in general. and don't give me that crap about "there's not enough non-white gamers" in America. if there's a black president, surely there can be a minority game reviewer rather than basing it just one one group. They have female game reviewers but where's the rest of our peeps?

So you see what i'm saying, so we gotta represent!.

#2 Posted by Korvus (2322 posts) -
#3 Posted by Storm_Marine (10766 posts) -

They should hire the Blu Rambler.

#4 Posted by plageus900 (911 posts) -

Maybe they haven't had any non-whites apply to be reviewers?

#5 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17270 posts) -

They should hire the Blu Rambler.

lol

Maybe they haven't had any non-whites apply to be reviewers?

this I doubt

#6 Edited by Vatusus (4223 posts) -

They have a transexual... I think that covers the minority recruitment

#7 Posted by dave123321 (33303 posts) -

Liking you tc

#8 Posted by DNA-Hole (36 posts) -

It's because the TC touches himself and nobody loves him.

#9 Posted by SaintJimmmy (2815 posts) -

Why do you pay attention to peoples skin colors so much?

#10 Posted by jcknapier711 (379 posts) -

Why would a black person have a different opinion about a game than a white person?

#11 Posted by Gaming-Planet (13702 posts) -

I never noticed it.

Maybe because they don't have the education to become a video game review writer. IGN does have a pretty diverse crew as video game journalists from middle eastern to black.

#12 Posted by thegerg (14343 posts) -

Why would a black person have a different opinion about a game than a white person?

Because they're different people.

#13 Posted by o0squishy0o (2754 posts) -

Regardless of the argument which is totally valid of "what difference does skin colour make to someone's ability to review a game" it is just about representation and to be fair, there should be a bit of a mix up just to reflect the diversity of gaming as it is.

I am not saying get a useless person in just to make up the numbers but there should be efforts to encourage people to apply etc. Same way we have men and women, difference race and backgrounds should be included.

#14 Posted by thegerg (14343 posts) -

Regardless of the argument which is totally valid of "what difference does skin colour make to someone's ability to review a game" it is just about representation and to be fair, there should be a bit of a mix up just to reflect the diversity of gaming as it is.

I am not saying get a useless person in just to make up the numbers but there should be efforts to encourage people to apply etc. Same way we have men and women, difference race and backgrounds should be included.

"it is just about representation and to be fair"

In my opinion it's fair to employ the most qualified regardless of race, and I'd want my employees to be representative of such.

#15 Edited by lonewolf604 (8509 posts) -

There used to be back then, around the time Greg K and Jeff were still around. I know Homer (who's filipino) does live camera things, and I believe the british staff has an asian member.

#16 Edited by SaintJimmmy (2815 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@o0squishy0o said:

In my opinion it's fair to employ the most qualified regardless of race, and I'd want my employees to be representative of such.

Agreed.

I fail to see how it would be more "Fair" were all equal human beings aren't we? we just happen to come from different heritages

The best applicant should always get the job regardless of race

Do you know what promotes racial diversity? Not talking about the color of people skins like it makes them different humanoid species

#17 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17270 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@o0squishy0o said:

Agreed.

I fail to see how it would be more "Fair" were all equal human beings aren't we? we just happen to come from different heritages

Do you know what promotes racial diversity? Not talking about the color of people skins like it makes them different humanoid species

The problem is that implicit in the argument that "the best applicant should always get the job regardless of race" is that it doesn't explain why a disproportionate % of white people would get a certain job (in this case, game reviewer) unless you are saying there are no non-white people who are qualified enough for the job (which is just not true). What's even stranger is that in San Francisco (where Gamespot is based), white people aren't even a majority - there are more non-white people than white people, yet white people make up 100% of the game reviewers.

#18 Posted by thegerg (14343 posts) -

@SaintJimmmy said:

@thegerg said:

@o0squishy0o said:

Agreed.

The problem is that implicit in the argument that "the best applicant should always get the job regardless of race" is that it doesn't explain why a disproportionate % of white people would get a certain job (in this case, game reviewer) unless you are saying there are no non-white people who are qualified enough for the job (which is just not true). What's even stranger is that in San Francisco (where Gamespot is based), white people aren't even a majority - there are more non-white people than white people, yet white people make up 100% of the game reviewers.

"The problem is that implicit in the argument that "the best applicant should always get the job regardless of race" is that it doesn't explain why a disproportionate % of white people would get a certain job"

That's not really a problem.

"unless you are saying there are no non-white people who are qualified enough for the job"

I'm saying no such thing.

"white people make up 100% of the game reviewers."

Do you have any evidence to back up this claim? I find it hard to believe that there are no non-white game reviewers.

#19 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9257 posts) -

Cuz Gamespot be racist.

#20 Edited by -Sun_Tzu- (17270 posts) -

@thegerg said:

"The problem is that implicit in the argument that "the best applicant should always get the job regardless of race" is that it doesn't explain why a disproportionate % of white people would get a certain job"

It is a problem if you're a non-white game reviewer looking for a job

"unless you are saying there are no non-white people who are qualified enough for the job"

Didn't say you did say such a thing (at least intentionally), just that it is implicit in the argument you made

Do you have any evidence to back up this claim? I find it hard to believe that there are no non-white game reviewers.

100% of the game reviewers on Gamespot, should've been more clear

#21 Posted by uninspiredcup (6772 posts) -

Gamespot has openly gay and transgender reviewers. I doubt it's anything to do with persecution.

Perhaps (crazy idea) the people hired just happen to be white?

#22 Posted by thegerg (14343 posts) -

@thegerg said:

It is a problem if you're a non-white game reviewer looking for a job

Didn't say you did say such a thing (at least intentionally), just that it is implicit in the argument you made

100% of the game reviewers on Gamespot, should've been more clear

"It is a problem if you're a non-white game reviewer looking for a job"

No it's not. Whether or not the argument that "the best applicant should always get the job regardless of race" explains why a disproportionate % of white people would get a certain job is not a problem for job seekers.

"100% of the game reviewers on Gamespot, should've been more clear"

Do you have any evidence to back up this claim? I find it hard to believe that there are no non-white game reviewers on Gamespot. In fact, I remember reading a review not long ago from some Hispanic reviewer. Miguel something, mabye...

#23 Posted by LJS9502_basic (149440 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@jcknapier711 said:

Everybody is a different person....that says nothing.

#24 Posted by thegerg (14343 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@jcknapier711 said:

Everybody is a different person....that says nothing.

But it answers his question.

#25 Edited by -Sun_Tzu- (17270 posts) -

@thegerg said:

No it's not. Whether or not the argument that "the best applicant should always get the job regardless of race" explains why a disproportionate % of white people would get a certain job is not a problem for job seekers.

Forgot for a second who I was talking to; it does get tiring having a conversation with you - everything gets taken so literally I sometimes have to wonder if I'm talking to an actual human being or some sort of advanced AI conversation bot.

On to the subject; it is a problem that your "best applicant should get the job" argument doesn't explain anything - it's not even much of an argument - if anything it's just a sentiment (which I certainly don't disagree with) being expressed that is irrelevant to the matter at hand. People who argue that there should be more diversity in the workplace aren't saying that the best applicant shouldn't get the job, they are just wondering why a given workplace (in this case Gamespot's reviewers) isn't representative of the population at-large.

#26 Posted by thegerg (14343 posts) -

@thegerg said:

Forgot for a second who I was talking to; it does get tiring having a conversation with you - everything gets taken so literally I sometimes have to wonder if I'm talking to an actual human being or some sort of advanced AI conversation bot.

On to the subject; it is a problem that your "best applicant should get the job" argument doesn't explain anything - it's not even much of an argument - if anything it's just a sentiment (which I certainly don't disagree with) being expressed that is irrelevant to the matter at hand. People who argue that there should be more diversity in the workplace aren't saying that the best applicant shouldn't get the job, they are just wondering why a given workplace (in this case Gamespot's reviewers) isn't representative of the population at-large.

"it is a problem that your "best applicant should get the job" argument doesn't explain anything"

No, it's not a problem. It's not intended to explain anything, so it's not a problem if it doesn't.

"it's not even much of an argument - if anything it's just a sentiment"

I agree, I have not presented it an an argument.

"being expressed that is irrelevant to the matter at hand."

It's relevant to the post to which I was responding.

"People who argue that there should be more diversity in the workplace aren't saying that the best applicant shouldn't get the job, they are just wondering why a given workplace (in this case Gamespot's reviewers) isn't representative of the population at-large."

I understand that people may be arguing X and wondering Y. That has no bearing my comments.

#27 Edited by Ariabed (1094 posts) -

I doubt these reviewer job are advertised anyway, probably more kept in the family type thing or word of mouth. I'm probably wrong but that's nothing new lol

#28 Posted by 187umKILLAH (1334 posts) -

They believe in the superiority of the aryan race, deal with it ;p

#29 Posted by Shmiity (4964 posts) -

This is a non-issue. Just like any other company, they picked the best applicants, and they happen to be white. Who cares?

#30 Posted by hippiesanta (9726 posts) -

@Korvus85 said:

That reminds me, where did the "Big in Asia" segment go to? Watching Jonathan play Hatsune Miku - Project Diva F was just hilarious XD

I wonder where the hell is Jonathan Toyad ... ... perhaps he join malaysian politics just like his dad

#31 Posted by -Renegade (8340 posts) -

i dont think they SHOULD have minority reviewer just because they dont have one. nobody probably wants or applied for the job.

#32 Edited by indzman (16382 posts) -

TC is black, confirmed =P

#33 Posted by Kevlar101 (5971 posts) -

@DNA-Hole said:

It's because the TC touches himself and nobody loves him.

#34 Posted by Kevlar101 (5971 posts) -

They believe in the superiority of the aryan race, deal with it ;p

Uhmmm....I rarely see any blonde staff either.

Kevlar101 DECLARES 187umKILLAHs COMMENT:

#35 Posted by Iszdope (9383 posts) -

Um...aliens..?

#36 Posted by PSP107 (11560 posts) -

Maybe because they don't have the education to become a video game review writer.

#37 Posted by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

The real question is why do they keep allowing you to make these stupid ass threads?

#38 Posted by 187umKILLAH (1334 posts) -

lulz yea the fuhrer would be like, son I am disappoint.

#39 Posted by Kevlar101 (5971 posts) -

@Kevlar101 said:

"Aryan" is blonde haired, blue eyed.

#40 Edited by 187umKILLAH (1334 posts) -

@187umKILLAH said:
@Kevlar101 said:

Hitler did not have blonde hair or blue eyes so does that mean according to his own philosophy he was inferior? lol

I actually only thought it was someone non-jewish caucasion of Nordish stock and according to wikipedia and dictionary.reference that is the correct definition.

#41 Posted by Kevlar101 (5971 posts) -

@Kevlar101 said:

@187umKILLAH said:
@Kevlar101 said:

Hitler did not have blonde hair or blue eyes so does that mean according to his own philosophy he was inferior? lol

I actually only thought it was someone non-jewish caucasion of Nordish stock and according to wikipedia and dictionary.reference that is the correct definition.

Hmmmmm

#42 Edited by 187umKILLAH (1334 posts) -

@Kevlar101 said:

@187umKILLAH said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@187umKILLAH said:
@Kevlar101 said:

Hmmmmm

Yes food for thought, not a bid deal I guess but I do remember looking that up ages ago and being surprised as I too thought it was the blonde hair blue eyed people.

#43 Edited by Korvus (2322 posts) -

I wonder where the hell is Jonathan Toyad ... ... perhaps he join malaysian politics just like his dad

His father's a politician? Didn't know that. Anyway, according to his Twitter (Jonathan's, not his dad's =P) "Freelancer, lover of pop culture, ex-GameSpot/GAX writer/Asia Beat/Sound Byte host, temp guy for Witching Hour Studios.". Apparently Witching Hour Studios is an iOS game developer.

#44 Posted by Ariabed (1094 posts) -
#45 Posted by hippiesanta (9726 posts) -

@Korvus85:

perhaps his relative lol Micheal leo toyad

I think Gamespot shout get hakoom or Duck360 to host gamespot ... their sexy arab accent could attract more girls too ... lol

#46 Posted by PSP107 (11560 posts) -
#47 Posted by Omni-Slash (54404 posts) -

2014....it's freakin 2014 and yet all people care about is pigmentation....

#48 Posted by Wilfred_Owen (20794 posts) -

@Omni-Slash: Whoa whoa whoa big guy. Relax. Need a shoulder rub?

#49 Posted by Omni-Slash (54404 posts) -

@Wilfred_Owen: unless you're really kate Upton....or at least good at pretending to be her...I'll pass...

#50 Posted by Randolph (10344 posts) -

Perhaps (crazy idea) the people hired just happen to be white?

The simplest answer is commonly the correct one.