Why does Wolverine wear that awful costume?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by MrGeezer (55909 posts) -

This is something that I really only noticed during the X-Men movies, but I should have been noticing it during the comics too.

But WHY is he willing to wear that crap? I mean, I always got the impression that Wolverine was just this bad-ass totally unhinged borderline psychotic man who didn't like tolerating a bunch of BS. It's one thing for him to actually hanging out with spandex-clad do-gooders in the first place, but WHY would he dress up like them too?

I mean, like in the first X-Men movie. We get introduced to Wolverine hanging out in a bar wearing a wifebeater shirt, and getting drunk. At which point he makes money by beating the living **** out of people. THAT'S what I think of when I think of Wolverine.

And yeah...I know that he found acceptance and purpose as a member of the X-Men. But that STILL doesn't excuse him wearing that damn cheesy costume. Even just in the movies, whenever you see Wolverine dressed up like the other X-Men, Wolverine just looks ridiculous. Simply because out of EVERYONE there, he's the ONE character who should have been most likely to say "**** you guys, I'm not wearing this crap."

And that's the thing that gets me. He has a berserker rage which makes him prone to slicing people in half. Hell, he freaking stabbed ROGUE and almost killed her. If THAT'S not enough to get him immediately fired from the X-Men, then I VERY much doubt that professor X would fire him for not wearing that dumbass black X-Men uniform.

All he has to do is say "**** that, I'm not wearing this ****." And that'd be the end of it. And no one would think him less of a team player, especially considering the fact that half of them would be too afraid of him going psycho on their asses to say ANYTHING.

And hell, that's just in the damn movie. The movie toned down Wolverine's rage and feral tendecies a LOT, and actually made his costume look LESS ridiculous. And he STILL ended up looking totally ridiculous every time he wore the costume in those movies.

So WHY is it that in the comics, where he was even MORE of a crazy uncontrollable psychopath who was 10 times as badass and with even LESS tolerance for BS, WHY does he wear that awful stupid pointless ridiculous yellow spandex costume that looks about a hundred times more lame than even the costume that they invented for the movies?

I mean, for god's sake he's freaking WOLVERINE. What, is he gonna get FIRED for refusing to wear that crap? WHO is actually gonna have the balls to tell Wolverine that he's getting fired just because he won't wear the costume? NOBODY, that's who. All he has to do is say that he's not gonna wear that crap, and that'll be the end of the goddamn discussion.

#2 Posted by supercubedude64 (6504 posts) -
Snikt.
#3 Posted by needled24-7 (15900 posts) -
I love when you make threads. That's why I nominated you for "user that should post more" in the OTcars nomination thread.
#4 Posted by Englando_IV (4334 posts) -
I don't think it looks that bad.
#5 Posted by UnrighteousFury (2764 posts) -
I'd hazard a guess that nothing shows off his glorious physique quite as well as blue and yellow spandex.
#6 Posted by InterpolWilco (2487 posts) -
Its iconic
#7 Posted by SolidTy (41305 posts) -

In the world of Comics, his outfit is pretty badarse, in that world.

Besides, he actually has a few costumes, the one he where's when he's assassinating badguys in XFORCE, and the I'm a goody two shoes Xmen costume.

Remember, that Wolvy is more than himself when he's with the Xmen, he's representing a dream, that's much larger than looks. He needs to wear something so the people recognize he's one of the good guys.

#8 Posted by MasterKingMP (1738 posts) -

I sure hope you're not talking about the Yellow Spandex, because that's his best costume besides the orange-redish one. I hated the stupid black leather from the movie. They should all have been in their original suits.

#9 Posted by mattykovax (22693 posts) -
I agree one hundred percent. The worst costume he ever had though was not even the one he got from the x-men,but teh one he stole off that one guy when they were fighting the Shi'ar imperial guard. That was the crap brown and black one. Going back the yellow and blue was actually an improvement as scary as it is.
#10 Posted by Cloud_Insurance (3279 posts) -
its a comic book...
#11 Posted by martialbullet (10949 posts) -
Because his sheer badass-ness is so unstable that he must wear an awful pansy yellow suit to keep the world in balance.......that's a fact :|
#12 Posted by demonslayer987 (329 posts) -
it makes him feel pretty
#13 Posted by the_foreign_guy (22638 posts) -
Indeed. He could get wayy more girls with this shirt.
#14 Posted by Norg (15959 posts) -

u know what ticks me off

i wanna see Wolverine stap someone with thoes claws !!!!!! i know they couldnt do it in the cartoons shows because that would be 2 volient for the kids but i think i only seen the first 2 movies and never has there really been a good shot of Wolverine stapping someone in the face or gut with thoes claws with the claws actually going in .,......

#15 Posted by Rikardur (9291 posts) -
Indeed. He could get wayy more girls with this shirt.the_foreign_guy
:lol: I knew that was coming.
#16 Posted by CoolSkAGuy (9665 posts) -
Cuz all teh kool kids do its...
#17 Posted by MgamerBD (17550 posts) -
Its camoflages him at night...
#18 Posted by MrGeezer (55909 posts) -

I sure hope you're not talking about the Yellow Spandex, because that's his best costume besides the orange-redish one. I hated the stupid black leather from the movie. They should all have been in their original suits.

MasterKingMP

It doesn't matter if that's his best costume because he is THE GODDAMN WOLVERINE and he has absolutely NO need to wear ANY costume.

ANY costume is just as awful as any other. He belongs in a pair of dirty jeans and a wifebeater shirt. Maybe a dingy-yet-badass-looking coat if it's cold outside.

But the point is that he's the goddamn Wolverine and he has NO need to conform to superhero dress codes. Dress like a normal badass and be a badass. That's ALL he has to do. If anyone tries to fire Wolverine for not adhering to the dress code, all Wolverine has to do is to **** them up until they stop *****ing about the dress code. If anyone runs into Wolverine at the mall while he's shopping for shoes, all he has to do when they laugh at him is to **** them up. If anyone ever makes mutants illegal, and then some cop tries to arrest Wolverine during a routine traffic stop after noticing that Wolverine is the same mutant in the newspapers, all Wolverine has to do is **** that cop up.

He's not Spider-Man or Superman. He doesn't have to protect his identity in order to keep people from going after Mary Jane or Lois Lane. He's a badass totally unhinged loner with no one attached to him. He has absolutely no reason to wear a mask, let alone a yellow and blue superhero costume. If you mess with HIM, he'll **** you up. That's plenty of incentive not to **** with him. And if you **** with anyone that he cares about, you're ****ing with the goddamn X-Men. He doesn't NEED to worry about protecting his friends, when his friends are all powerful goddamn mutants that are so dangerous that the government has to spend trillions of your tax dollars building 50 foot tall robots just to have those giant robots get their asses kicked.

#19 Posted by mattykovax (22693 posts) -
He doesn't NEED to worry about protecting his friends, when his friends are all powerful goddamn mutants that are so dangerous that the government has to spend trillions of your tax dollars building 50 foot tall robots just to have those giant robots get their asses kicked.MrGeezer
thats the funniest thing I have heard or read all day. Stupid sentinels:lol:
#20 Posted by MasterKingMP (1738 posts) -
[QUOTE="MasterKingMP"]

MrGeezer

It doesn't matter if that's his best costume because he is THE GODDAMN WOLVERINE and he has absolutely NO need to wear ANY costume.

ANY costume is just as awful as any other. He belongs in a pair of dirty jeans and a wifebeater shirt. Maybe a dingy-yet-badass-looking coat if it's cold outside.

But the point is that he's the goddamn Wolverine and he has NO need to conform to superhero dress codes. Dress like a normal badass and be a badass. That's ALL he has to do. If anyone tries to fire Wolverine for not adhering to the dress code, all Wolverine has to do is to **** them up until they stop *****ing about the dress code. If anyone runs into Wolverine at the mall while he's shopping for shoes, all he has to do when they laugh at him is to **** them up. If anyone ever makes mutants illegal, and then some cop tries to arrest Wolverine during a routine traffic stop after noticing that Wolverine is the same mutant in the newspapers, all Wolverine has to do is **** that cop up.

He's not Spider-Man or Superman. He doesn't have to protect his identity in order to keep people from going after Mary Jane or Lois Lane. He's a badass totally unhinged loner with no one attached to him. He has absolutely no reason to wear a mask, let alone a yellow and blue superhero costume. If you mess with HIM, he'll **** you up. That's plenty of incentive not to **** with him. And if you **** with anyone that he cares about, you're ****ing with the goddamn X-Men. He doesn't NEED to worry about protecting his friends, when his friends are all powerful goddamn mutants that are so dangerous that the government has to spend trillions of your tax dollars building 50 foot tall robots just to have those giant robots get their asses kicked.

I read comic books all the time, and I go to the Comic Book Store every single Wednesday because that's when new Comics come out. And I don't know if you knew this or not, but he doesn't even wear costumes anymore hardly ever. Mostly, it's just like you say, he's just wearing jeans and a t-shirt. But still man, after growing up watching the cartoon X-Men show all the time, the Yellow and blue mix is awesome dude. It's just like Batman, sure Christian Bale was the best Batman, but he fails simply because the fact that he wasn't wearing the Black and Yellow like Michael Keaton from the original Batman.

#21 Posted by Bloodbath_87 (7586 posts) -
Why does any super hero/villain dress up? Can't they kick just as much ass in a t-shirt and jeans?
#22 Posted by MasterKingMP (1738 posts) -

Why does any super hero/villain dress up? Can't they kick just as much ass in a t-shirt and jeans?Bloodbath_87

Naw, the costume gives them motivation, not to mention, it makes them look way cooler.

#23 Posted by Englando_IV (4334 posts) -
Why does any super hero/villain dress up? Can't they kick just as much ass in a t-shirt and jeans?Bloodbath_87
Some of them need to protect their identity, and I guess they don't want to wear ski masks.
#24 Posted by imthemostwanted (988 posts) -
in the first movie wolverine says 'are these really necesary?' cyclops says "what would you prefer? yellow spandex?'
#25 Posted by Serraph105 (27534 posts) -
Im just gonna say that everyone who made superheroes many years ago needed the hero to stand out so they all got their own special costume
#26 Posted by imthemostwanted (988 posts) -
[QUOTE="MasterKingMP"]

MrGeezer

this is the funniest thing ive ever read on OT
#27 Posted by martialbullet (10949 posts) -
Seriously, I think the design choice of his costume was meant to make him a memorable character. Wasn't he first introduced in the 70's in a time where the funkiest of clothes looked really cool? Yes, it's been decades so you'd think he would have a change of costume design that's more sensible but no. Why change the costume that made him??
#28 Posted by garrett_duffman (10684 posts) -
Indeed. He could get wayy more girls with this shirt.the_foreign_guy
heh i remember posting that in a YLYL a while back...
#29 Posted by MrGeezer (55909 posts) -

I read comic books all the time, and I go to the Comic Book Store every single Wednesday because that's when new Comics come out. And I don't know if you knew this or not, but he doesn't even wear costumes anymore hardly ever. Mostly, it's just like you say, he's just wearing jeans and a t-shirt. But still man, after growing up watching the cartoon X-Men show all the time, the Yellow and blue mix is awesome dude. It's just like Batman, sure Christian Bale was the best Batman, but he fails simply because the fact that he wasn't wearing the Black and Yellow like Michael Keaton from the original Batman.

MasterKingMP

I actually did NOT know that, so thanks for letting me know about that. I still read the occassional "classic" "graphic novel", but I've pretty much gotten out of the regular superhero comics. I got into comics during the unfortunat early-to-mid 90s when mainstream superhero comics were sort of going to crap. I stopped shortly after the story in which Magneto ripped all of the adamantium out of Wolverine's body, and then he first revealed his Bone Claws in Wolverine #75. I thought it was an interesting direction to take with Wolverine, to strip away his invincibility and have him getting totally ****ed up. But by that time, I'd just sort of lost interest with superhero comics in general, and I pretty much stopped comics altogether right about the time that Wolverine almost died after being run over by a car, and when Cyber snapped Wolverine's bone claws in half.

So yeah...I haven't been keeping up with this stuff for AT LEAST a good ten years.

But it is good to know that writers and artists have recently been getting him out of the damn costumes. Because honestly, that really DIDN'T fit his character. Wolverine always had more business being dressed as a biker thug or something, not a damned costumed superhero.