Why does Microsoft Word now use Calibri as its default font?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

culture_den

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 culture_den
Member since 2011 • 216 Posts

If you will remember, it used to be Times New Roman. I wonder if the change was ever explained.

As for me, I'm more partial to Arial as my default font. Font size preferably 12.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I prefer Times New Roman, 12, no space.

stanleycup98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 stanleycup98
Member since 2006 • 6144 Posts

In the past years there has been a shift from most documents being printed to most documents being electronic. For viewing on a screen, you want a sans serif font. Times New Roman is a serif font, so that's why that was changed. As to why Calibri was the specific sans serif font chosen, as opposed to, say, Arial, it's because it was designed specifically for Microsoft and it's special font technology.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Calibri is much more beautiful and easy on the eyes than Times New Roman, that shit makes me cringe for some reason.

culture_den

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 culture_den

@stanleycup98 said:

In the past years there has been a shift from most documents being printed to most documents being electronic. For viewing on a screen, you want a sans serif font. Times New Roman is a serif font, so that's why that was changed. As to why Calibri was the specific sans serif font chosen, as opposed to, say, Arial, it's because it was designed specifically for Microsoft and it's special font technology.

Is there a particular reason why you would want a sans serif for electronic viewing? (I'm more partial to sans serif myself as a general rule of thumb, but that's personally speaking)

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@stanleycup98 said:

This.

I actually like Calibri as a sans serif font. It reads very nicely on a screen. Arial doesn't read as nicely and I'll always prefer a full-serif font on paper.

ChiefvsGordon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ChiefvsGordon
Member since 2005 • 1085 Posts

i like calibri better as well. but since it is not allowed on my college papers it gets annoying when I have to change the font on every new word document....i know i could just save it to times new roman in the settings but i like to complain about it every time lol.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

Its been Calibri for many years, and it the best standard font

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

I just wish MS word was free again.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Times New Roman should be the default for everything because that's the standard font that most schools follow.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#11  Edited By whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

I think Calibri is also the default font in Wordpad. From what I read a few years ago, Microsoft set the default at Calibri because calibri looks better on a computer screen than it does printed, so that is an encouragement for people to read docs on the screen and save paper to be more environmentally friendly (though I think there is some debate over whether or not reading all these documents digitally is more eco-friendly than reading them on paper. Reading them digitally saves paper, but it also uses electricity).

Schools and teachers generally want their assignments in Times New Roman, 12 font and double-spaced.

Anyways I prefer to use WordPerfect. WordPerfect 11's default is Times New Roman, but there is a newer edition of WordPerfect and I'm not sure what its default is.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#12 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

I'm trying to understand why this is discussion worthy.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

Calibri looks childish and unprofessional. When I review docs in Calibri I send them back telling them to change it.

Sandulf29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sandulf29
Member since 2010 • 14330 Posts

As someone stated Calibri isa san serif font and is easier to read on screen compared to serif fonts like Times New Roman. Helvetica is preferred by most professionals for electronic documents. Since there is no Helvetica on Windows, Windows has shifted to Helvetica knock-off Calbri as default

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts

@culture_den said:

@stanleycup98 said:

Is there a particular reason why you would want a sans serif for electronic viewing? (I'm more partial to sans serif myself as a general rule of thumb, but that's personally speaking)

I would imagine it's because the small serifs do not render well when they are sub-pixel widths on (relatively) low-resolution 72dpi screens (the vast majority of screens out right now).

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@Shmiity said:

I'm trying to understand why this is discussion worthy.

And that is your problem right there. There is nothing to understand, it just is.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

MS word sucks ever since they changed the interface.

Why the hell did they get rid of the the "file" tabs, and implement some horrible circle-start-like mechanic.

stanleycup98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 stanleycup98
Member since 2006 • 6144 Posts

@culture_den said:

@stanleycup98 said:

For sure. The resolutions of screens can make the serifs difficult to discern. That's basically it.

Consider this. I am currently using a 1920x1080 24" screen. That equates to a max resolution of about 92 ppi (pixels per inch). The highest resolution you will find on computers will be about 220, which is the MBP retina screen. You will actually find that most computer-based images/fonts/etc. are designed for 72 ppi. Now, most printed things are a much higher resolution. For example, most household printers will print at 300 ppi. What this higher resolution equates to is a higher ability to display fine details well, such as serifs.

Obviously it is still fine to read serif fonts on screens. You probably still use them frequently. But it just isn't necessary and can look a bit ugly, especially when you consider anti-aliasing problems and the lower resolution. Might as well just remove them, right?

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts

Did you just upgrade or something? Been the default for like 8 years now.

culture_den

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 culture_den

Okay.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#21 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

@Fightingfan said:

MS word sucks ever since they changed the interface.

Why the hell did they get rid of the the "file" tabs, and implement some horrible circle-start-like mechanic.

Pretty sure that's only in Office 2007. 2010 and the new one are way better than 2003 if you ask me.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

Calibri, Arial and Verdana are my 3 fonts of choice so I'm quite happy with the change (not that I bother with Office anymore).

culture_den

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 culture_den

What do you mean, not bother with office. What would you use to type documents then.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Courier master race

helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts

calibri is much better looking than times new roman. but since i'm a 2nd grade teacher i use comic sans a lot because it is the easiest font for kids to read.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#26 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

I personally don't have the best eye sight, and tend to use Courier when taking notes, TNR when writing a final report.

Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Crunchy_Nuts
Member since 2010 • 2749 Posts

Not a fan of Calibri. I like Arial for sans serif and Times New Roman is pretty good for serif.

culture_den

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By culture_den

I guess maybe that bob user was just joking.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

@culture_den said:

What do you mean, not bother with office. What would you use to type documents then.

What are you, 100 or something?

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#30 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

@culture_den said:

Wordpad, WordPerfect, OpenOfficeWriter, WordStar, a type-writer, notepad. Who knows.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36038 Posts

It's a bit weird, but I actually am preferring Calibri, and I doubt I would have ever gotten to it myself due to the sheer amount of fonts available in word.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#32 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

I agree that it is disgusting. Reflects on society really. I use Adobe Jenson Pro like a real man. And anyone found double spacing or 1.5 spacing in my house will receive a slap around the face.

culture_den

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 culture_den

What do you mean, are you 100 or something. What does that imply?