why does hair become greasy?

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by evildead6789 (7435 posts) -

and how did they solve this in prehistoric time i mean there wasn't any shampoo...

#2 Posted by Engrish_Major (17368 posts) -
If you don't strip your hair of grease every day by shampooing it, it is actually less greasy.
#3 Posted by fastesttruck (25353 posts) -
idk but mine drives me nuts! Its like its gotta be washed twice a day at times
#4 Posted by fastesttruck (25353 posts) -
If you don't strip your hair of grease every day by shampooing it, it is actually less greasy.Engrish_Major
Something like the less one shaves the slower the hair grows back?
#5 Posted by Engrish_Major (17368 posts) -

[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"]If you don't strip your hair of grease every day by shampooing it, it is actually less greasy.fastesttruck

Your hair follicles over-react when you strip your hair of its natural oils, and produce more than usual as a reaction. My gf stopped washing her hair daily (she only does it once every couple of weeks now) and it is much less greasy, and is softer and nicer-feeling than any conditioner could do.

I did the same thing for a while back when I had hair.

#6 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (28038 posts) -
My hair becomes greasy over night. :(
#7 Posted by fastesttruck (25353 posts) -

[QUOTE="fastesttruck"][QUOTE="Engrish_Major"]If you don't strip your hair of grease every day by shampooing it, it is actually less greasy.Engrish_Major

Your hair follicles over-react when you strip your hair of its natural oils, and produce more than usual as a reaction. My gf stopped washing her hair daily (she only does it once every couple of weeks now) and it is much less greasy, and is softer and nicer-feeling than any conditioner could do.

I did the same thing for a while back when I had hair.

Hmm I'll have to try that starting tomorrow night and see what it does
#8 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

My hair becomes greasy over night. :(sammyjenkis898
Same. I have to wash it every day or I'm like a greaseball.

#9 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (28038 posts) -

[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"]My hair becomes greasy over night. :(Pirate700

Same. I usually put a hat on if I don't feel like taking a shower early on in the day. :P
#10 Posted by dunl12496 (5710 posts) -

I have to wash twice a day. Really, blonde hair is stupid.

#11 Posted by evildead6789 (7435 posts) -
well it takes about 3-4 days with me then it starts at the 6th day i look like french fries
#12 Posted by Engrish_Major (17368 posts) -

Hmm I'll have to try that starting tomorrow night and see what it does fastesttruck
It takes a little while for your follicles to get back to their natural balance. If you've been shampooing your hair for years, they are used to overproducing oils, so it might take a while for your hair to be less greasy. It might take a couple of weeks, but most people say it's worth it.

Here's an article on it that's pretty interesting.

#13 Posted by Brutal_Elitegs (16175 posts) -

I've tried not shampooing my hair so it would restore its natural oil balance, but I just can't get past the inital stage of looking and feeling like I've been working at McDonald's all day. The most I can go until I feel like total **** is five days. As a result I have brittle, straw-like hair.

#14 Posted by XxWOND3RB3ADxX (1189 posts) -

My hair becomes greasy over night. :(sammyjenkis898

Same I hate it.

#15 Posted by BigBoss154 (2956 posts) -

Something to do with Sebum from the SebaceousGland under the skin. Sebum lubricates the hair, so I would imagine it's when your hair get's too lubricated from it.

#16 Posted by -Fromage- (10517 posts) -
I embrace my grease.
#17 Posted by blo_op (332 posts) -
I wash my hair every other day. I can last 3 days without washing my hair. After 4 days, I feel really dirty :(
#18 Posted by fastesttruck (25353 posts) -

[QUOTE="fastesttruck"]Hmm I'll have to try that starting tomorrow night and see what it does Engrish_Major

It takes a little while for your follicles to get back to their natural balance. If you've been shampooing your hair for years, they are used to overproducing oils, so it might take a while for your hair to be less greasy. It might take a couple of weeks, but most people say it's worth it.

ah. I'll give it a try and skip a few days and see what it does I guess
#19 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58095 posts) -
I wash mine every morning or I feel disgusting,
#20 Posted by quatoe (5665 posts) -

When I don`t grow my hair out I can got 3 days without washing it and it has no grease in it, but during the winter I grow out the famous Jew fro for wrmth pruposes. :P

#21 Posted by megagene (22993 posts) -
I wash mine every morning or I feel disgusting,SolidSnake35
Same here.
#22 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (28038 posts) -

I've tried not shampooing my hair so it would restore its natural oil balance, but I just can't get past the inital stage of looking and feeling like I've been working at McDonald's all day. The most I can go until I feel like total **** is five days. As a result I have brittle, straw-like hair.

Brutal_Elitegs
What is your sig from?
#23 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"]I wash mine every morning or I feel disgusting,megagene
Same here.

Yeah this stuff about not washing every day really depends on the person and the hair type. It also depends on if you wear hats or exercise at all (or anything that get's your hair sweaty).

#24 Posted by Engrish_Major (17368 posts) -

[QUOTE="megagene"][QUOTE="SolidSnake35"]I wash mine every morning or I feel disgusting,Pirate700

Same here.

Yeah this stuff about not washing every day really depends on the person and the hair type. It also depends on if you wear hats or exercise at all (or anything that get's your hair sweaty).

Well, my gf runs about 25 miles per week, and comes to the gym with me to lift weights a couple times per week. She still doesn't use shampoo, and her hair is not greasy at all. And, it was greasy back when she used to use shampoo.
#25 Posted by zoraluv (8320 posts) -

my hair is thick and i does get greasy sometimes. never use moisrizing shampoo!!!

#26 Posted by magicalclick (22438 posts) -
They shave :p. Not everyone can stay away from shampoo for many days. Long ago when I was in middle school, I used to only shampoo one a week, and, I ended up getting all those white things on my hairs. It took me many years to realize I just need to wash my hair everyday. Meaning, I have tried the weekly thing, it did not work for me.
#27 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58095 posts) -
[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="megagene"] Same here. Engrish_Major

Well, my gf runs about 25 miles per week, and comes to the gym with me to lift weights a couple times per week. She still doesn't use shampoo, and her hair is not greasy at all. And, it was greasy back when she used to use shampoo.

When I was younger I didn't wash it as often but my head started to itch like crazy once I reached a certain age...
#28 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="megagene"] Same here. Engrish_Major

She doesn't shampoo ever anymore?

#29 Posted by travisstaggs (10536 posts) -

I have oily hair when I wake up, even if it was only a hour or two nap.

I noticed if I wash it every other day it's actually not as bad.

#30 Posted by Engrish_Major (17368 posts) -

Pirate700
Once in a blue moon. Most of the time, she just rinses with water, and once a week or two, she will use some vinegar if it gets dirty. Don't worry - the vinegar doesn't smell anymore once it is rinsed away. Her hair does feel and look really great though.
#31 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

Engrish_Major

Once in a blue moon. Most of the time, she just rinses with water, and once a week or two, she will use some vinegar if it gets dirty. Don't worry - the vinegar doesn't smell anymore once it is rinsed away. Her hair does feel and look really great though.

Vinegar? No offense man but I bet she smells delightful. :P

#32 Posted by Konekomaru (343 posts) -
I don't think it was a huge concern in prehistoric times.
#33 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

I don't think it was a huge concern in prehistoric times.Konekomaru
Sure it was. If your hair didn't smell pretty back then, the giant man eating critters would know you were there.

#34 Posted by TheMutableOne (1064 posts) -

Prehistoric does not mean lack of intellect altogether.

#35 Posted by Engrish_Major (17368 posts) -

Pirate700
If I'm showering with her, then of course I can smell it (and it makes me want french fries). But as soon as she rinses it out, I cannot even tell that she used it. It's actually a pretty common thing... just google "no shampoo". It's one of the recommended things. It wouldn't be if it smelled like vinegar after the fact. Nobody wants to smell like that.
#36 Posted by Konekomaru (343 posts) -

[QUOTE="Konekomaru"]I don't think it was a huge concern in prehistoric times.Pirate700

Sure it was. If your hair didn't smell pretty back then, the giant man eating critters would know you were there.

Additionally, if you smelled like Suave Strawberry Shampoo, you were likely to be eaten by herbivores. They probably thrived on moderation.
#37 Posted by Suzy_Q_Kazoo (9901 posts) -

My hair only gets greasy after a day if I touch/play with it too much. I'll normally leave freshly washed hair down on the first day, and up the second day before washing again.

It has to do with your skin, hair follicles, sebum and all that jazz I believe.

#38 Posted by ehhwhatever (1462 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

It's actually a pretty common thing... just google "no shampoo". It's one of the recommended things. It wouldn't be if it smelled like vinegar after the fact. Nobody wants to smell like that.Engrish_Major

Hey thanks I binged no shampoo and learned something new

#39 Posted by Dogswithguns (10700 posts) -
It supposed to be, keeps your hair moist, live with it.... I wash my hair everyday without shampoo. with shampoo every second or third day. and my hair feel fine.
#41 Posted by icemountainb (326 posts) -

I'm on my sixth week of washing without shampoo, and it's begun to normalize. Just like the article posted earlier explains, the transition was pretty bad; I had dandruff for a while, but now it's mostly gone and not really itchy anymore. My problem is that I usually wear a hat in the winter since it's so cold where I live so I haven't been able to really see the full benefits yet. Hopefully a couple more weeks will make the difference.

#42 Posted by Adrianstalker (1467 posts) -
Fact: the hair after a beak in using shampoo gets greasy. If you keep it dirty and be patient that greasy goes away and creates a natural protecting hippie oil that do not smell. You do need to wash it though, but water will do. The secret is keep your heads free. Wigs and hats are your enem
#43 Posted by bobaban (10554 posts) -
I wash it with water every day. Only shampoo once a week.
#44 Posted by Engrish_Major (17368 posts) -
I wash it with water every day. Only shampoo once a week.bobaban
And that's you in your avatar, right? See... you can tell by how healthy your hair looks.
#45 Posted by Konekomaru (343 posts) -
I'm intrigued. I want to try this, but my hair gets so oily after just one day without washing that I don't think I would last long enough to see any benefit. Maybe I'll give it a try when my hair is shorter.
#46 Posted by Tauruslink (6586 posts) -
[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"]My hair becomes greasy over night. :(sammyjenkis898

Same. I usually put a hat on if I don't feel like taking a shower early on in the day. :P

Me too. I can only go two days max without washing my hair, and then it becomes an oily sticky mess. Ugh! To the guy who said that hair becomes less oily the less you wash it, I'm going to have to call BS on that one. My hair becomes unbearably oily after two days, I can't imagine how it would look like if I only washed it once every couple of weeks! I'm not saying you're a liar, but maybe different people have different types of hair...
#47 Posted by StealthMonkey4 (7041 posts) -

[QUOTE="fastesttruck"]Hmm I'll have to try that starting tomorrow night and see what it does Engrish_Major

Hmmm, I might try that, my hair gets very greasy, very fast so I usually have to keep it pretty short, but my hair would be extremely greasy and disgusting going from washing daily to washing weekly so I might have to do it gradually.

#48 Posted by darkfox101 (7055 posts) -
Mine starts to get noticeable after 2 days.. in a week its disgusting. So bad when I was in the hospital the nurse went nuts and busted out the shampoo.. oh darn :D
#49 Posted by Engrish_Major (17368 posts) -
[QUOTE="Tauruslink"] Me too. I can only go two days max without washing my hair, and then it becomes an oily sticky mess. Ugh! To the guy who said that hair becomes less oily the less you wash it, I'm going to have to call BS on that one. My hair becomes unbearably oily after two days, I can't imagine how it would look like if I only washed it once every couple of weeks! I'm not saying you're a liar, but maybe different people have different types of hair...

Have you ever tried it? You can't call BS. I have first-hand experience, and I explained the logic. Did you read the article I linked to?
#50 Posted by Tauruslink (6586 posts) -

[QUOTE="Tauruslink"] Me too. I can only go two days max without washing my hair, and then it becomes an oily sticky mess. Ugh! To the guy who said that hair becomes less oily the less you wash it, I'm going to have to call BS on that one. My hair becomes unbearably oily after two days, I can't imagine how it would look like if I only washed it once every couple of weeks! I'm not saying you're a liar, but maybe different people have different types of hair...Engrish_Major
Have you ever tried it? You can't call BS. I have first-hand experience, and I explained the logic. Did you read the article I linked to?

Ok I just read the article. I think I was under the impression that your GF only washed it every couple of weeks. I see now that she only washed it with shampoo every couple of weeks. So she still washes it daily? If I tried doing what the article says I can still wash my hair with water or baking soda every day but just not with shampoo?