R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

I liked the first couple of seasons, interesting bunch of characters. After that it got overly stale, predictable (not good for comedy) and those one fun characters became characature.

I prefer American Dad to it, but once again: I only really liked the earlier seasons.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56407 Posts

It's hit or miss for me but it has its moments and if you grew up with it it’s worth still checking out here and there for some laughs. I know modern Family Guy is a bit of a trainwreck at times but I still catch the new episodes and probably will continue to do so until it gets canceled.

If you don’t have the nostalgia of growing up with Family Guy, it's harder to recommend though. I always felt Quagmire carries the show and this was way back when he was still a hidden creep.

If someone were to ask me which show I go for, Family Guy or Futurama? Futurama is the obvious answer. It was more clever and had more “layers” to it, and the heartwarming moments felt more real and the characters stayed grounded and consistent. (unlike family guy where the characters got more horrible)

Edit: Did I mention I like Family Guy crossover The Simpsons and that was a once in a lifetime anyone would probably see another crossover between the two.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58505 Posts

The Star Wars parodies are hands-down some of my most favorite parodies and some of my favorite animated comedies I have ever seen. I mean, they really, truly get Star Wars because if anyone else tried to make fun of Star Wars, you'd be like "What? No one does this, **** you guys, don't make fun of Star Wars. You don't understand it" but for Seth McFarlane to do it the way he did, you truly know he is a fan.

That alone nets Family Guy some serious points with me.

On top of that, I do like Family Guy but tbh I haven't seen it since the seasons were in the single digits I think. I liked it because it was funny. Sometimes the jokes were a little crude and just going for shock value, but I really enjoyed it and they really pushed the limits with what could be said on a basic cable channel everyone watches.

American Dad is also good but, again, haven't really watched it for like 5-10 years.

Orville is also good, on the topic of Seth McFarlane. I don't think it's like good good but honestly it's like Star Trek-lite; it has a steady stream of chuckles, characters you care about but don't care that much about, and it covers some interesting topics (admittedly, they sometimes cross into cringe territory but whatever it's sci-fi). And it does it all in space, with the crew encountering all manner of interesting aliens, obstacles, politics, and so on.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56407 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: Did you like Cleveland Show? I tried so hard to like it on the few episodes and I gave up on the whole show.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22415 Posts

Because it makes me laugh... simple.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

@davillain said:

@R4gn4r0k: Did you like Cleveland Show? I tried so hard to like it on the few episodes and I gave up on the whole show.

Totally missed that, wasn't there a quagmire spin off as well?

But damn, I love the early seasons of American Dad the most, they are just such funny characters. And Roger is just the best!

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1283 Posts

I was in my late teens, early twenties when I watched it. Mid 20's and I lost interest in the crude humor and childish jokes. Like most things, I think you just grow out of it. What did I like about it? The very negatives I now write. ;)

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#9 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I've watched the first three seasons and enjoyed my time with them. I think I resonated with a lot of the jokes because they are addressed in such a way where...yes, it's crude and has a lack of a filter. But, most of the humour is relatable in the sense that it's able to point out the obvious in situations and vocalize what most of us would be thinking subconsciously.

Would I watch all 21 seasons? Nah.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8466 Posts

I genuinely can't stand Family Guy, or anything by Seth MacFarlane for that matter.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

It's easy viewing: you can watch it with your brain turned off and it's highly digestible as small clips on YouTube.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9600 Posts

Is Family Guy still making new episodes?

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#13 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3664 Posts

I liked Family Guy at least the first four seasons when it was hilarious. I was in my early 20's when it debuted on Fox back then. Only episodes I liked were the Star Wars TV episodes and The Simpsons cross over episode. I haven't watched it lately though found American Dad to be the better. Especially Roger the alien.

DigitalNoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DigitalNoodle
Member since 2003 • 325 Posts

I have not watched that show since mid 2000.