Why do white people refer to others as "people of color"???

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

I simply do not understand this term "people of color" used by white people to describe other races. I mean why on Earth is "white" not a color? Or is white supposed to be "normal"? Because that is exactly what is implied. This term really needs to die in its current use. All humans are people of color.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Who cares? It's not particularly offensive or anything.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

this can't really be an issue?

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

White isn't actually a color btw... but people aren't actually white either. I've never used the term personally but I don't see why anyone would be offended by it.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

We don't. That was something from the 1950's that people of non-white ethnic backgrounds hang onto because of their victim complexes.

Anyone who says "colour" is essentially racist, since we are all different shades of brown.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

I've never heard anybody use that term.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I have never liked the term and don't use it. I feel uncomfortable any time anyone uses it even if I know they mean no harm.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#8 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I don't know... Some people get offended when they're called black. Some get offended when they're called African-American. This should really stop mattering to people.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18791 Posts

@JustPlainLucas: "I don't know... Some people get offended when they're called black. Some get offended when they're called African-American. This should really stop mattering to people."

I never been to Africa =(

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10  Edited By neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

@Gambler_3 said:

I simply do not understand this term "people of color" used by white people to describe other races. I mean why on Earth is "white" not a color? Or is white supposed to be "normal"? Because that is exactly what is implied. This term really needs to die in its current use. All humans are people of color.

Do you want to hear something fun?

At the U of M - if a crime is commited on campus and the perp if white, a description will be given that the perp is white. If the perp is of "different" color skin than white, they just say a "male" or "female" person of interest is being sought.

I think the whole world is fucking stupid. Everyone immediately hates white skinned people and if a white skinned person harms someone else - fucking riots break out. However, should someone that's not white skinned harm a white skinnned person, no one riots and it's not reported as a racial issue.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14799 Posts

I only time I hear people say that are in movies or from old people.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Never heard a White Person use that term. I've heard Black People use it when they need to add Latinos and Asians into the argument. As in...this issue effects all people of color.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

This will end well lol

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@Master_Live said:

I have never liked the term and don't use it. I feel uncomfortable any time anyone uses it even if I know they mean no harm.

Yeah, it just sounds stupid. Everyone's skin is a color, essentially making the term useless, and it's just a different way of saying "colored people" even though that term is considered offensive. Although "colored people" does sound worse. The phrases, "blacks, Hispanics, and Asians" and "ethnic minorities" both sound better than "people of color".

And by the 2040s, everyone will be a minority, making race as a topic pretty meaningless. I really hope we're not as race-focused by the middle of the century anymore.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#16 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19493 Posts

The "white" and "black" labels don't make much sense either, since most of the people who identify themselves as "white" or "black" aren't literally white or black.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Because colour is a beautiful thing. =]

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By gamerguru100

@Jag85 said:

The "white" and "black" labels don't make much sense either, since most of the people who identify themselves as "white" or "black" aren't literally white or black.

Good point. We did away with "yellow" and "red" as racial designations, yet somehow we kept "black" and "white" above water. In reality, we are all just varying shades of brown.

This is kinda random, but I hate how textbooks always refer to minorities as "Native Americans, African Americans, Asian Americans, and Hispanic/Latino (Americans)" but refer to European Americans as just "white people", as if we fell from the sky or lack heritage. It would be better if we were all just Americans, but that's still wishful thinking in the early 21st century.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178831 Posts

Never hear anyone say that. Did you time travel back to the past?

garathe_den

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 garathe_den
Member since 2008 • 1427 Posts

Erm, only weirdos say that

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

@gamerguru100 said:
@Jag85 said:

Good point. We did away with "yellow" and "red" as racial designations, yet somehow we kept "black" and "white" above water. In reality, we are all just varying shades of brown.

This is kinda random, but I hate how textbooks always refer to minorities as "Native Americans, African Americans, Asian Americans, and Hispanic/Latino (Americans)" but refer to European Americans as just "white people", as if we fell from the sky or lack heritage. It would be better if we were all just Americans, but that's still wishful thinking in the early 21st century.

I have a similar issue. It's like they're saying that you're an American, but not fully - you got some 'other' in you.

The 'insert ethnicity here' American terms just need to be done away it, unless people are going to start calling white people European Americans. Fair is fair.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gamerguru100

@LJS9502_basic said:

People do say "people of color" these days. It has replaced "colored people" even though they mean the exact same thing.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gamerguru100

@Shottayouth13- said:
@gamerguru100 said:
@Jag85 said:

I have a similar issue. It's like they're saying that you're an American, but not fully - you got some 'other' in you.

The 'insert ethnicity here' American terms just need to be done away it, unless people are going to start calling white people European Americans. Fair is fair.

Pretty much. I just prefer "black, white, Hispanic, and Asian", but if we're gonna start calling everyone by "insert race/ethnicity here-Americans", then at least extend that to white people too. Hopefully race just becomes less of an issue in the future and we all just call each other Americans. Still...wishful thinking at best.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

@PSP107 said:

@JustPlainLucas: "I don't know... Some people get offended when they're called black. Some get offended when they're called African-American. This should really stop mattering to people."

Me neither. Nor am I actually "black". Doesn't piss me off but it does bother me a tad bit...

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By gamerguru100

@tocool340 said:
@PSP107 said:

Me neither. Nor am I actually "black". Doesn't piss me off but it does bother me a tad bit...

People just try to find anything to be offended by these days. It's one hell of a first world problem.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18791 Posts

@tocool340: Me neither. "Nor am I actually "black". Doesn't piss me off but it does bother me a tad bit..."

You light-skinned?

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

Somebody will hate someone no matter what... deal with it.

garathe_den

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 garathe_den
Member since 2008 • 1427 Posts

@Shottayouth13- said:
@gamerguru100 said:
@Jag85 said:

Well from my history class, I gathered that it was White Americans that began calling themselves White. They called Black/African Americans something much more offensive.

To retaliate, African Americans began calling themselves Black, to basically be the opposite of the White people who were treating them so badly.

That's what I learned, anyway. It may be wrong but it was what I was taught, and makes sense, really.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178831 Posts

@gamerguru100 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

People do say "people of color" these days. It has replaced "colored people" even though they mean the exact same thing.

What backward part of the world do you live in?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@gamerguru100 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Plenty of African Americans use the term, if you watched the news you might catch it. Heard it plenty of times on MSNBC (not that many people watch that network). So don't act like it is an illusion.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

I only hear sjw types use that term.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gamerguru100

@LJS9502_basic said:
@gamerguru100 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

You've never heard people use the term "people of color" before? It has replaced "colored people" since apparently that term is offensive. And I don't hear the term "people of color" often myself, but I have heard it. I live in Minnesota BTW, which is definitely not a backwards part of the world. :)

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 gamerguru100

@garathe_den said:
@Shottayouth13- said:
@gamerguru100 said:
@Jag85 said:

Well from my history class, I gathered that it was White Americans that began calling themselves White. They called Black/African Americans something much more offensive.

To retaliate, African Americans began calling themselves Black, to basically be the opposite of the White people who were treating them so badly.

That's what I learned, anyway. It may be wrong but it was what I was taught, and makes sense, really.

I think that's true, but it's 2015 now. Either we give fair racial labels to everyone, including whites, or we ditch them altogether. Since ditching them is an unrealistic goal right now given the state of race relations in this country, I say we give fair racial labels to everyone, not just minorities. Although I'll just keep saying, "blacks, whites, Hispanics, and Asians". :P

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

Yeah no. I'm not going to bother considering this an issue.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Catalli  Moderator

@gamerguru100 said:

You've never heard people use the term "people of color" before? It has replaced "colored people" since apparently that term is offensive. And I don't hear the term "people of color" often myself, but I have heard it. I live in Minnesota BTW, which is definitely not a backwards part of the world. :)

Lol why would anyone find one offensive and not the other? :P They are literally the exact same thing. The syntax is the all that changes haha

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gamerguru100

@ianhh6 said:
@gamerguru100 said:

Lol why would anyone find one offensive and not the other? :P They are literally the exact same thing. The syntax is the all that changes haha

I know. That's why I think the term is fucking retarded. Is it so hard to say, "blacks, Hispanics, and Asians" or "ethnic minorities" instead? Some people just have political correctness shoved too far up their asses.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Catalli  Moderator

@gamerguru100: The problem is... I don't think it's any actual attempt to be politically correct. I see it more as a pat on their own backs because they think they're being awesome by pushing this type wording.

(and I'm the guy who always pushes for political correctness but hey, that term was just too stupid)

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts

The irony is "people of color" is currently the only acceptable term by the ultra-PC activists that you find on Tumblr or Twitter.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I've never heard somebody use the phrase. I've seen it in movies, and read it in some books, but I can't recall any white person I know that has used it.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

Who cares? It's not particularly offensive or anything.

it is in this over hyper sensitive society we live in..and it sux..

Fuhrer_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Fuhrer_D
Member since 2011 • 1125 Posts

I use "people of color," and "those blessed with copious amounts of melanin."

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#45 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

I always come across the term on well respected internet sites.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/05/05/how-someone-spent-pennies-to-troll-women-people-of-color-via-promoted-tweets/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tausha-cowan/where-are-the-people-of-c_b_7113876.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/janet-murguia/young-people-of-color-are_b_7193036.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person_of_color

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I'm white, I don't refer to darker people as people of color.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

We don't. That was something from the 1950's that people of non-white ethnic backgrounds hang onto because of their victim complexes.

Anyone who says "colour" is essentially racist, since we are all different shades of brown.

oh so you are in the racist camp where you cant say anything at all without it being racist?..i see.. IF people of color refer to us whites as "whites" then we refer to people of color as people of color why? Because if we are white then they must be of color. No other options..I'll never get why people call the racist card so quickly over the last 10 years..its becoming quite annoying.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127500 Posts

@gamerguru100 said:
@Jag85 said:

But if you are all americans, how am I supposed to be a racist then? Won't anyone think of us racists? :P

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#49  Edited By musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

I'll guarantee you 100% that it's not onlywhite people using phrasing like 'people of color' to describe non-white folks. And under some circumstances, Hispanic people are also considered white...

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:

I don't know... Some people get offended when they're called black. Some get offended when they're called African-American. This should really stop mattering to people.

"People should only be offended by things I deem worthy to be offended by!"