Why do they make cars go over 100mph when the limit is 60mph

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by LegitGamer3212 (1619 posts) -

Even a 4 cylinder Corolla or a Prius can obtain speeds of over 100mph. I'm not complaining but I'm just wondering why they make cars that can go over 100mph when most speed limits aren't even close. In Texas 80mph is the speed limit but that's still well under 100mph. I understand some track cars such as the Mustang or Subaru STI need to travel faster when they're on the track. Why do they make ordinary car engines capable of going over 100mph when most speed limits are 60mph?

#2 Posted by GhoX (5366 posts) -
Vanity.
#3 Posted by -Tish- (3621 posts) -
To test you. And if you fail, you get a big fat ticket.
#4 Posted by Allicrombie (25580 posts) -
why do they create hypoallergenic cats? Because they can.
#5 Posted by rastotm (1380 posts) -

Because being able to tell other people that your car can go 100mph is far more important than actually going 100mph.

#6 Posted by Blazerdt47 (5669 posts) -

Because if nobody goes over 60mph then the government would get no money.

#7 Posted by LegitGamer3212 (1619 posts) -

why do they create hypoallergenic cats? Because they can.Allicrombie

but going over 100mph is illegal and is deadly for both the driver and anyone around him or her. It's mostly drunk drivers or street racers that drive past 100mph.

#8 Posted by Cloud_Insurance (3279 posts) -

1) not every road has a speed limit

2) more powerful engines allow a car to last longer

3) you need that power for decent acceleration

#9 Posted by KiIIyou (27157 posts) -
It's for when tornadoes chase you
#10 Posted by lamprey263 (26081 posts) -
nobody would buy a car that only went 60mph plus there's areas where the speed limit is 70mph but say they make a car that only goes 60mph max, what happens when you add passengers, or go up steep hills, and/or hauling, it's going to go slower, a lot slower, and road rage apocalypse would make the zombie apocalypse look like child's play
#12 Posted by airshocker (31210 posts) -

Who the fvck cares?

#13 Posted by the_bi99man (11062 posts) -

Because the way engines are designed, it's extremely difficult to make a vehicle that feels good to drive, and can reach 60 mph reasonably quickly, without it also being capable of going faster than that. If a car was designed to have a top speed of 60 mph, it would have sh!t for accelleration, virtually no power for carrying or pulling anything, and it would just feel like driving a tank, except not badass.

#14 Posted by the_bi99man (11062 posts) -

[QUOTE="Allicrombie"]why do they create hypoallergenic cats? Because they can.LegitGamer3212

but going over 100mph is illegal and is deadly for both the driver and anyone around him or her. It's mostly drunk drivers or street racers that drive past 100mph.

Way to generalize.

And btw, going over 100 mph is not "deadly for both the driver and anyone around him". Just like most things that sometimes kill people, there is a proper way to do it, under the right circumstances, making it quite safe.

#15 Posted by SirWander (5176 posts) -

because watching car chases on live TV would be pretty boring if they only went at like 60 mph.

#16 Posted by Borrizee (428 posts) -
You know...I find this a real good question. I've been thinking about it for a long long time. Not only about the cars but for example why do they sell tabacco? I smoke sigarets and I know it's not good for you're body. But they sell'em. Take them off the market I would say. Don't make cars over speed limit...but that's to easy and would make life boring. The real question for me is...who are they.
#17 Posted by IdioticIcarus (2167 posts) -

Because speed limits are really just suggestions.

#18 Posted by Engrish_Major (17368 posts) -
Going that fast is only illegal on public roads. And bi99man explained it well - for cars to perform well below 60, they would have to be artificially locked at 70MPH or whatever speed limit they would want to impose on the car.
#19 Posted by thegerg (16223 posts) -
It's more work to make a car with an efficient and useful engine NOT go 100mph.
#20 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

Beacuse there are other places to drive than city roads.

#21 Posted by comp_atkins (32168 posts) -
it's just a side-effect of being able to get to the speed limit faster than other people.
#22 Posted by Netherscourge (16354 posts) -
Why can I turn on water in my sink all day long when I only need it on maybe 4 times a day? Aren't we just encouraging people to run the water in their sinks all day long?
#23 Posted by michael_1234576 (8621 posts) -
highways..
#24 Posted by leeveeu (3402 posts) -
81.25 mph speed limit on highways I drive on + some highways in Germany with no speed limit. Welcome to Europe! :)
#25 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (43328 posts) -
It would be impractical to place arbitrary limits on a vehicles power based on relative speed limits.
#26 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

[QUOTE="Allicrombie"]why do they create hypoallergenic cats? Because they can.LegitGamer3212

The torque required to pass someone can't be bottlenecked at 70mph. Also why are motorcycles legal? I need to wear a seatbelt in my 6000lbs truck, but someone in a motorcycle doesn't have to wear a helmet? Awesome logic.
#27 Posted by Postal_Guy (2643 posts) -

81.25 mph speed limit on highways I drive on + some highways in Germany with no speed limit. Welcome to Europe! :)leeveeu

If your talking about NL you can actually go 85 mph (because of the margin the cops have on their speed cameras)

#28 Posted by m25105 (3135 posts) -
In case you end up in the German Autobahn.
#29 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Most people are sh!t drivers.
#30 Posted by Diablo-B (4059 posts) -
There are highways on the west coast of the U.S. where the speed limit is 80 - 100 mph.
#31 Posted by thegerg (16223 posts) -
There are highways on the west coast of the U.S. where the speed limit is 80 - 100 mph.Diablo-B
No, there aren't.
#32 Posted by Diablo-B (4059 posts) -
[QUOTE="Diablo-B"]There are highways on the west coast of the U.S. where the speed limit is 80 - 100 mph.thegerg
No, there aren't.

Just looked it up and you are right. There are parts of Texas with 85 mph, Nevada is 80 mph, and much of the interior west is 75 mph, but nothing over 85.
#33 Posted by masiisam (5721 posts) -

There are highways on the west coast of the U.S. where the speed limit is 80 - 100 mph.Diablo-B

Really?...like where? The state max in CA is 70..i dont know what it is WA but i would be shocked if they posted that high of a speed limit

#34 Posted by jeremiah06 (7169 posts) -
The standard car isn't much different than the show room car so they need to go fast or the show room will look bad... it cheaper to make single model's that go over 100 and to sell the same models...
#35 Posted by thegerg (16223 posts) -
The standard car isn't much different than the show room car so they need to go fast or the show room will look bad... it cheaper to make single model's that go over 100 and to sell the same models...jeremiah06
What do you think the difference between a "show room car" and a "standard car" is?
#36 Posted by dramaybaz (6020 posts) -

Because being able to tell other people that your car can go 100mph is far more important than actually going 100mph.

rastotm
This. Also you can take them to the tracks I suppose.
#37 Posted by lightleggy (16090 posts) -

Its not legal everywhere, or in every zone.
#38 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12017 posts) -

I don't know where you live, but here in Georgia the highest posted speed limit is 70 MPH but you can get away with 80 legally due to a state law that restricts cops and the highway patrol from giving you a ticket if they are using radar or laser for anything under 10 MPH over the speed limit.

#39 Posted by LLYNCES (378 posts) -

[QUOTE="LegitGamer3212"]

[QUOTE="Allicrombie"]why do they create hypoallergenic cats? Because they can.the_bi99man

Way to generalize.

And btw, going over 100 mph is not "deadly for both the driver and anyone around him". Just like most things that sometimes kill people, there is a proper way to do it, under the right circumstances, making it quite safe.

Well they could stick a governor in which limits the speed to 60MPH if they really wanted to, but chances are people would just get it removed and there would be a huge outcry.

#40 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (17827 posts) -

I still remember this guy doing 147 mph in Phoenix. :lol:

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/the-147-mph-hyundai-sonata-car-news

He got tagged by lasers n cameras doing 147 mph.

the-surveillance-data-panel-showing-the-

Edit:

We were living in Tucson then. He sure made the evening news.

#41 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -
because you can't turn on your car's flux capacitor going at 60MPH
#42 Posted by Legatus_Victix (144 posts) -

Even a 4 cylinder Corolla or a Prius can obtain speeds of over 100mph. I'm not complaining but I'm just wondering why they make cars that can go over 100mph when most speed limits aren't even close. In Texas 80mph is the speed limit but that's still well under 100mph. I understand some track cars such as the Mustang or Subaru STI need to travel faster when they're on the track. Why do they make ordinary car engines capable of going over 100mph when most speed limits are 60mph?

LegitGamer3212
Why'd they create cars when horses can do the same job as a car with less cost, wear and tear on the environment, and overall better reliability? Because they can..
#43 Posted by VanDammFan (4421 posts) -

i have my own theory..because it makes money for everyone.."tickets,court,insurance,auto makers,doctors,funerals,ect"..There is zero reason that a car needs to exceed 70mph..EVER..unless its a racecar of some kind..IF every vehicle was governed at that speed we would have 100% safer streets.

#44 Posted by thegerg (16223 posts) -

i have my own theory..because it makes money for everyone.."tickets,court,insurance,auto makers,doctors,funerals,ect"..There is zero reason that a car needs to exceed 70mph..EVER..unless its a racecar of some kind..IF every vehicle was governed at that speed we would have 100% safer streets.

VanDammFan
"There is zero reason that a car needs to exceed 70mph..EVER" Yes, there is. ".IF every vehicle was governed at that speed we would have 100% safer streets." No, we wouldn't.
#45 Posted by TacticalDesire (10713 posts) -

People go 120+ on the Autobahn, hell they take Supercars and go 200 MPH, and yet statistically the Autobahn is a safer road than pretty much any major U.S. road.

#46 Posted by TacticalDesire (10713 posts) -

VanDammFan

Yeah, that's why the Veyron has a special top speed key that you have to put in if you want to exceed 220 MPH.

#47 Posted by Optical_Order (5100 posts) -

VROOM car go fast

#48 Posted by thegerg (16223 posts) -

[QUOTE="VanDammFan"]

TacticalDesire

Yeah, that's why the Veyron has a special top speed key that you have to put in if you want to exceed 220 MPH.

What? No it's not.
#49 Posted by Crunchy_Nuts (2749 posts) -

VanDammFan
No we would'nt. It's often the slow drivers who hog the fast lane that are the worst (unsafe) drivers. Having more restrictions and nanny systems in cars would only make people even more complacent behind the wheel.
#50 Posted by wii60_3 (2006 posts) -
They would just have to put safety locks on cars to stop the acceleration when speed is 60mph. People who want to drive that fast wouldn't buy these cars or would just have them removed.