Why do so many people treat losing one's virginity as validation of existence?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Pffrbt (6596 posts) -

It's kind of pathetic to think that. Because of this we get terrible movies like Superbad.

#2 Posted by FMAB_GTO (14385 posts) -
because some people are idiots D:
#3 Posted by tenaka2 (17040 posts) -

It's kind of pathetic to think that. Because of this we get terrible movies like Superbad.

Pffrbt

Are you a virgin?

#4 Posted by CreasianDevaili (4187 posts) -
Little judgemental of other's priorities in life aren't we. Also it isn't validation of one's existence. It is validation of one's physical growth.
#5 Posted by bloodling (5822 posts) -

Some people just love trying to convince themselves that they're better than others just because they had sex. It raises their self-esteem when they try to bring down others. It's pathetic but that's how it is.

#6 Posted by applesxc47 (10761 posts) -

Because people like to show off, it's nothing complicated.

And I thought Superbad was really funny.

#7 Posted by Pffrbt (6596 posts) -

Little judgemental of other's priorities in life aren't we. Also it isn't validation of one's existence. It is validation of one's physical growth. CreasianDevaili

But having sex isn't difficult. And casual sex is meaningless.

#8 Posted by Pffrbt (6596 posts) -

applesxc47

I thought it was funny in the parts that weren't raunchy and sex related, which amounts to about 14 minutes of the movie.

#9 Posted by CreasianDevaili (4187 posts) -

[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"]Little judgemental of other's priorities in life aren't we. Also it isn't validation of one's existence. It is validation of one's physical growth. Pffrbt

But having sex isn't difficult. And casual sex is meaningless.

Unless you plan to purposely have a baby any and all other reasons to have sex is technically meaningless. Its pleasure. All it is. All it can be. You can go slow or fast but your penis isn't connecting to their soul, if you believe in that sorta thing.

Some people take pride in not having sex. Well that isn't difficult either. Being plain ugly can accomplish that. But for whatever reason some take pride in it. Good for them. But if good for them, then good for the people who scar their knees too. In the end its the same difference.
#10 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

[QUOTE="applesxc47"]

Pffrbt

I thought it was funny in the parts that weren't raunchy and sex related, which amounts to about 14 minutes of the movie.

You honestly sound like the virginiest virgin that ever virgined it up.

I mean, just the way you talk about virginity and sex and wow you could be sacrificed to some idols by natives like that.

#11 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58226 posts) -
Your sig is too raunchy. Remove it.
#12 Posted by VaguelyTagged (10349 posts) -

lol @ thinking that it isn't important,the whole world is based on sexuality.

#13 Posted by bloodling (5822 posts) -

VaguelyTagged

People have different priorities.

#14 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36991 posts) -
I need something to validate my existence
#15 Posted by Pffrbt (6596 posts) -

Unless you plan to purposely have a baby any and all other reasons to have sex is technically meaningless. Its pleasure. All it is. All it can be. You can go slow or fast but your penis isn't connecting to their soul, if you believe in that sorta thing.CreasianDevaili

I don't. But I consider it a bit more meaningful when it's with someone you genuinely care about rather than some random drunk person you picked up at a bar just for the sake of f*cking.

Your sig is too raunchy. Remove it.SolidSnake35

No, just hide your virgin eyes when you see it.

#16 Posted by l4dak47 (6838 posts) -
Because we're a very sexual species.
#17 Posted by tenaka2 (17040 posts) -

I don't. But I consider it a bit more meaningful when it's with someone you genuinely care about rather than some random drunk person you picked up at a bar just for the sake of f*cking.

Pffrbt

Ahh to be so young, dreamy eyed and naive.

Takes me back.

#18 Posted by Pffrbt (6596 posts) -

I know a guy that made it his sole purpose to have sex with any girl willing for several months and he punched a brick wall when they turned him down.

#19 Posted by tenaka2 (17040 posts) -

I know a guy that made it his sole purpose to have sex with any girl willing for several months and he punched a brick wall when they turned him down.

Pffrbt

you shouldn't hang around with mental people.

#20 Posted by Pffrbt (6596 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

tenaka2

you shouldn't hang around with mental people.

I didn't hang out with him because he was weird.

#21 Posted by junglist101 (5462 posts) -

Stop trying to push your values on others. I'd thoroughly enjoy some meaningless sex right about now.

#22 Posted by CreasianDevaili (4187 posts) -

[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"]Unless you plan to purposely have a baby any and all other reasons to have sex is technically meaningless. Its pleasure. All it is. All it can be. You can go slow or fast but your penis isn't connecting to their soul, if you believe in that sorta thing.Pffrbt

Someone thinking sex is a relationship is meaningful is a good way to bring in drama and a breakup. When you're having sex with the same person for almost a decade you long since understood that no, it isn't meaningful. It is just something you do for fun. You think its meaningful and you will get bent out of shape when you don't get any for any legit reason. Then you see people cheating and doing nutso things.

Sex has meaning only when breeding, purposely. Any other time, any other instance regardless of actual relationship, fwb, or just random hookup is the same thing. The only reason to try and reason otherwise is to try and convince yourself that you aren't just being some basic animal when humping away. Which is false.
#23 Posted by Pffrbt (6596 posts) -

I didn't say there was anything wrong with meaningless, casual sex. Just that it's kind of silly to make it the entire point of your being.

#24 Posted by junglist101 (5462 posts) -

I didn't say there was anything wrong with meaningless, casual sex. Just that it's kind of silly to make it the entire point of your being.

Pffrbt

If you look at some studies on the matter I think you'll find that it nearly is the entire point of our being. Or at least a huge part...

#25 Posted by tenaka2 (17040 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

junglist101

If you look at some studies on the matter I think you'll find that it nearly is the entire point of our being. Or at least a huge part...

This is true, along with all other species.

#26 Posted by Pffrbt (6596 posts) -

Someone thinking sex is a relationship is meaningfulCreasianDevaili

That doesn't even make sense. But if you're the type to consider sex some kind of accomplishment then it isn't a very meaningful accomplishment when all you had to do was hook up with someone at a bar. It's the difference between putt putt and golf. At least put some work into it.

#27 Posted by bloodling (5822 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

junglist101

If that's truly your whole point in life, then your life must be extremely dull and boring.

#28 Posted by Pffrbt (6596 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

junglist101

Go on, tell me more.

#29 Posted by mindstorm (15247 posts) -
When the quality of life is determined not by what good you do but what pleasures you can have then such things become of paramount importance.
#30 Posted by tenaka2 (17040 posts) -

[QUOTE="junglist101"]

[QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

bloodling

If that's truly your whole point in life, then your life must be extremely dull and boring.

Its true of all life on the planet including us, we are after all just a species of ape.

#31 Posted by bloodling (5822 posts) -

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

[QUOTE="junglist101"]If you look at some studies on the matter I think you'll find that it nearly is the entire point of our being. Or at least a huge part...

tenaka2

Its true of all life on the planet including us, we are after all just a species of ape.

I don't follow what you're trying to say.

#32 Posted by muller39 (14944 posts) -

Society is messed up.

#33 Posted by tenaka2 (17040 posts) -

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

bloodling

I don't follow what you're trying to say.

The driving force behind all life is to survive and pass on your genes to the next generation, this is true of all plants and animals also also true of us (us being animals).

#34 Posted by bloodling (5822 posts) -

The driving force behind all life is to survive and pass on your genes to the next generation, this is true of all plants and animals also also true of us (us being animals).

tenaka2

We're talking about sex, not reproduction.

#35 Posted by junglist101 (5462 posts) -

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

bloodling

It's on a subconscious level whether the intended outcome is kids or not. You've been programmed to like sex for the success of the species.

#36 Posted by Pffrbt (6596 posts) -

The driving force behind all life is to survive and pass on your genes to the next generation, this is true of all plants and animals also also true of us (us being animals).tenaka2

I have no desire to have children and pass on my genes.

#37 Posted by tenaka2 (17040 posts) -

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

bloodling

You are a bit like tokyos population.

#38 Posted by bloodling (5822 posts) -

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

junglist101

It's on a subconscious level whether the intended outcome is kids or not. You've been programmed to like sex for the success of the species.

Sex and reproduction are far from being my only goals in life.

#39 Posted by tenaka2 (17040 posts) -

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]The driving force behind all life is to survive and pass on your genes to the next generation, this is true of all plants and animals also also true of us (us being animals).Pffrbt

The part of the brain that controls your sex drive doesn't care about your desire to have children.

#40 Posted by bloodling (5822 posts) -

You are a bit like tokyos population.

tenaka2

What does that mean?

#41 Posted by bloodling (5822 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]The driving force behind all life is to survive and pass on your genes to the next generation, this is true of all plants and animals also also true of us (us being animals).tenaka2

The part of the brain that controls your sex drive doesn't care about your desire to have children.

I also have other parts of my brain that care about other stuff.

#42 Posted by tenaka2 (17040 posts) -

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

bloodling

I also have other parts of my brain that care about other stuff.

True, but there are parts of your brain that you do not control, your biological needs will drive you whether you want them to or not.

#43 Posted by bloodling (5822 posts) -

True, but there are parts of your brain that you do not control, your biological needs will drive you whether you want them to or not.

tenaka2

That's true enough. Some people have that kind of urge more than others, though, and others are attracted to their own gender.

#44 Posted by Pffrbt (6596 posts) -

tenaka2

Yes it does. And technically it's my lack of desire to have children.

#45 Posted by tenaka2 (17040 posts) -

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]The part of the brain that controls your sex drive doesn't care about your desire to have children.

Pffrbt

Yes it does. And technically it's my lack of desire to have children.

Think of it as the parts of your brain that control your automatic functions, you cannot control your sec drive in the same way that cannot control your heartbeat, pain response etc.

#46 Posted by VaguelyTagged (10349 posts) -

[QUOTE="VaguelyTagged"]

bloodling

they think they have,but they really don't.
#47 Posted by Pffrbt (6596 posts) -

Think of it as the parts of your brain that control your automatic functions, you cannot control your sec drive in the same way that cannot control your heartbeat, pain response etc.

tenaka2

I can control my sex drive by controlling the amount of testosterone in my body. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood.

#48 Posted by tenaka2 (17040 posts) -

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]Think of it as the parts of your brain that control your automatic functions, you cannot control your sec drive in the same way that cannot control your heartbeat, pain response etc.

Pffrbt

I can control my sex drive by controlling the amount of testosterone in my body. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood.

Do you have to inject testosterone? Is that a medical condition?

#49 Posted by bloodling (5822 posts) -

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

[QUOTE="VaguelyTagged"]

VaguelyTagged

People do have different priorities. Some people want to have sex daily, others don't mind having sex only once a week. Some people put their work and studies and their family as their first priority and leave the sex for later on in their life.

When I'll die, I won't think "I had a good life because I had sex X times" or "Having sex was more important to me than the fact that people loved me". The importance of sex can vary greatly. Everyone does not think exactly like you do.

#50 Posted by tenaka2 (17040 posts) -

[QUOTE="VaguelyTagged"][QUOTE="bloodling"]

bloodling

People do have different priorities. Some people want to have sex daily, others don't mind having sex only once a week. Some people put their work and studies and their family as their first priority and leave the sex for later on in their life.

When I'll die, I won't think "I had a good life because I had sex X many times". The importance of sex can vary greatly. Everyone does not think exactly like you do.

Thats not the point he was making.