Why do Poor People have Children?

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for TheChosenTurkey
TheChosenTurkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheChosenTurkey
Member since 2009 • 235 Posts

Pretty much the Topic.

I saw one of those sponser a child ads on TV and it astounded me that people obviously living in poverty would have children and then beg people to help support them. One even had a family of 6 children. WTF? Why would you do that? If you're so poor that you can barely provide shelter, food and water for yourself, why add voluntarily involve more people in your struggle.

Honestly, I think this is why extreme poverty exists. Because people living in places that obviously can't support them populate it with more people. Stupid.

You want to get rid of poverty in third world countries? Regulate who can have children, or at the very least, provide them with free condoms and mass campaign safe sex.

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

I have often though the same thing. Even in modern countries people have children when they can't afford them or properly provide for them and then the talk about their struggles as a parent and people are supposed to feel sorry for them. Pretty much they are epitomy of selfishness.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts
Well when a couple is poor, and they have nothing but each other, it makes sense that they're just going to have sex all the time because that's all they can do.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#4 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

well tbh Id rather people didn't have more than 2 children , wheter they were rich or poor, just to prevent overpopulation , and the fact that there aren't enough natural resources to support everyone on the planet.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

For starters, poverty stricken people often have shortened lifespans and not much money. So when they need help around the farm/house, are they going to be able to afford to pay someone to do that kind of ****? No. They rely on the kids. When you're old and dying and need constant care, can you afford to get that care from a stranger? No. That's your kids' job: to feed you and clean you while you're dying in poverty. If you can't afford to hire people to do the work, then you have kids and make them work for you.

Two: I already mentioned that poor people generally can't afford the best health care. They also often live in generally crappy areas that have a higher chance of their kids dying. And if it's expected that some of your kids will die or end up in prison, then you have more kids. Why do you think that fish lay like, hundreds of eggs? Obviously it's because most of the babies are gonna end up dead. Higher poverty correlates to higher child mortality. So poor people have more kids.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

Pretty much the Topic.

I saw one of those sponser a child ads on TV and it astounded me that people obviously living in poverty would have children and then beg people to help support them. One even had a family of 6 children. WTF? Why would you do that? If you're so poor that you can barely provide shelter, food and water for yourself, why add voluntarily involve more people in your struggle.

Honestly, I think this is why extreme poverty exists. Because people living in places that obviously can't support them populate it with more people. Stupid.

You want to get rid of poverty in third world countries? Regulate who can have children, or at the very least, provide them with free condoms and mass campaign safe sex.

TheChosenTurkey

A number of 3rd world countries are catholic, the use of condoms is forbidden.

PerfectCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PerfectCode
Member since 2007 • 127 Posts
The reason varies by location and living conditions. But, typically poor people have children because they are simply uneducated. Either education is not at all affordable and readily available for them, or there is nobody in their life to convince them the importance of education. A common reason is that having sex is easy/cheap, and you know, naturally feels good. It is can be a quick and easy way to temporarily lift their depressed spirits. So they have reckless sex and end up with kids.
TheChosenTurkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheChosenTurkey

For starters, poverty stricken people often have shortened lifespans and not much money. So when they need help around the farm/house, are they going to be able to afford to pay someone to do that kind of ****? No. They rely on the kids. When you're old and dying and need constant care, can you afford to get that care from a stranger? No. That's your kids' job: to feed you and clean you while you're dying in poverty. If you can't afford to hire people to do the work, then you have kids and make them work for you.

Two: I already mentioned that poor people generally can't afford the best health care. They also often live in generally crappy areas that have a higher chance of their kids dying. And if it's expected that some of your kids will die or end up in prison, then you have more kids. Why do you think that fish lay like, hundreds of eggs? Obviously it's because most of the babies are gonna end up dead. Higher poverty correlates to higher child mortality. So poor people have more kids.

MrGeezer

So your saying that poor people have children so they can get help around the house and business. What? Why? If you're living in extreme poverty, having sex to get help around the house and probably failing business is so irresponsible. If they can't even pay for a stranger, what makes you think they can fully support a child? If you struggling in poverty, struggle by yourself.

I'm completely lost at your second statement. Could you please explain more? What I got out of it was that you're claiming that poor people are have more children so that at least one child can overcome all the death and jail that they are more likely to succumb to. Really...

mysticstryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mysticstryk
Member since 2008 • 1709 Posts

Isn't this question obvious? If your poor and have a child, you get money from the government.

Mario_Eater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Mario_Eater
Member since 2010 • 344 Posts
They have every right to have children. Yes they may be poor, but that is all the more reason why we should help them out... The fact that you even suggest that they should not have children because of their economic status horrifies me. They did not choose to be born into poverty, and not everyone is lucky enough to live in a middle-higher class family in a 1st world country. Why waste money oppressing them with 'regulations' on how many children they can or cannot have, or on condoms and marketing (which is unneccessary) when we can start supplying them with water, food, shelter etc. TC, you need to take a wider look at the world. Would you say the same thing to someone living in extreme poverty in your country? Why is it their fault if all they are doing is ensuring the survival of their family and race...
mysticstryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mysticstryk
Member since 2008 • 1709 Posts

They have every right to have children. Yes they may be poor, but that is all the more reason why we should help them out... The fact that you even suggest that they should not have children because of their economic status horrifies me. They did not choose to be born into poverty, and not everyone is lucky enough to live in a middle-higher class family in a 1st world country. Why waste money oppressing them with 'regulations' on how many children they can or cannot have, or on condoms and marketing (which is unneccessary) when we can start supplying them with water, food, shelter etc. TC, you need to take a wider look at the world. Would you say the same thing to someone living in extreme poverty in your country? Why is it their fault if all they are doing is ensuring the survival of their family and race... Mario_Eater

Unfortunately everything costs money. While I agree that helping the poor is a good thing, it can only go so far, else we all become poor.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

TheChosenTurkey

So your saying that poor people have children so they can get help around the house and business. What? Why? If you're living in extreme poverty, having sex to get help around the house and probably failing business is so irresponsible. If they can't even pay for a stranger, what makes you think they can fully support a child? If you struggling in poverty, struggle by yourself.

I'm completely lost at your second statement. Could you please explain more? What I got out of it was that you're claiming that poor people are have more children so that at least one child can overcome all the death and jail that they are more likely to succumb to. Really...

You have to pay hired help.

Children are a "free" source of work, and they also have a built-in sense of obligation and duty. Historically, it has not been at all uncommon to put kids to work as soon as they were physically able. Rich kids have the luxury of playing and studying, while poor kids go to work before they're 10 years old, and then spend 15 hours a day working dangerous factory jobs to support the family. The mere fact that you see this as weird shows just how good things are for most of us today.

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Rikusaki
Member since 2006 • 16634 Posts

cuz sex feel gud nd dey go 'oops baby' ok

LoserMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LoserMike
Member since 2003 • 4915 Posts

Two things: When there's nothing to do, people have sex and lots of it.

In may cultures raising a family is the most important thing to do, so it's important to have children. That's why Catholicism expounds not to use contraceptives while having sex.

ZEYAAM898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 ZEYAAM898
Member since 2009 • 1921 Posts
It always pisses me off though, but dude 6 chirldren is low, i've seen guys with 19 chirldrens and all of them were disabled, handicapped in one way or the other.
Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Mafiree
Member since 2008 • 3704 Posts
[QUOTE="Mario_Eater"]They have every right to have children. Yes they may be poor, but that is all the more reason why we should help them out... The fact that you even suggest that they should not have children because of their economic status horrifies me. They did not choose to be born into poverty, and not everyone is lucky enough to live in a middle-higher class family in a 1st world country. Why waste money oppressing them with 'regulations' on how many children they can or cannot have, or on condoms and marketing (which is unneccessary) when we can start supplying them with water, food, shelter etc. TC, you need to take a wider look at the world. Would you say the same thing to someone living in extreme poverty in your country? Why is it their fault if all they are doing is ensuring the survival of their family and race...

So, poverty is transferred through generations? I don't understand why you would want this persist unless you want cheap labor.
Mario_Eater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Mario_Eater

Unfortunately everything costs money. While I agree that helping the poor is a good thing, it can only go so far, else we all become poor.

mysticstryk

Which is another sad thing about the world we live in today. Thanks to greed through our capitalist and consumerist culture no one can 'afford' to help the poor, yet they can 'help' themselves to anything they want. There are enough greedy CEO's lining their pockets with raises and cash bonuses on top of already ridiculous salaries to help out the poor. Or what about the defence budget of the West (particularly America) that is obviously large enough to fund several third world countries out of the way of poverty... Society is blinded so much by greed these days that when we do finally pull our heads from this mess, we will be in a lot of trouble...

VanillaFella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 VanillaFella
Member since 2010 • 50 Posts

[QUOTE="VanillaFella"]

It's just part of nature to want to pass on your genes. No way would you be able to regulate people having sex, unless you neutered them. Also instead of giving them free condoms, I think we are better off giving them food and water. Your question is pretty dumb.

junglist101

Tc's question is a legitimate one. No need for insults.

And if we go with your idea of no condoms and just provide food and water wouldn't you think that would make the monumental task of providing food and water to the world's poor more diificult by adding more mouths to feed?Condoms are cheap. How bout' food, water, condoms and of course educate them on the subject.

I'm pretty sure there will always be over population and poverty. No amount of food, water and condoms can stop that. There is no real solution to helping these people out. Im just saying there are too many variables to stop the poor from having children. So, we just help them out enough that we can feel good about ourselves.

Mario_Eater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Mario_Eater
[QUOTE="Mario_Eater"]They have every right to have children. Yes they may be poor, but that is all the more reason why we should help them out... The fact that you even suggest that they should not have children because of their economic status horrifies me. They did not choose to be born into poverty, and not everyone is lucky enough to live in a middle-higher class family in a 1st world country. Why waste money oppressing them with 'regulations' on how many children they can or cannot have, or on condoms and marketing (which is unneccessary) when we can start supplying them with water, food, shelter etc. TC, you need to take a wider look at the world. Would you say the same thing to someone living in extreme poverty in your country? Why is it their fault if all they are doing is ensuring the survival of their family and race... Mafiree
So, poverty is transferred through generations? I don't understand why you would want this persist unless you want cheap labor.

I am not saying I want cheap labour... and never once did I even imply it... I am trying to state that it is only human nature to ensure the survival of our race. And how do we go about that? By having offspring of course... So why should a 'cashed up' first world country try to say who can or cannot have children... It is ultimately the parents decision to decide, not any government that presides over a first world country thousands of kilometres away... they have enough issues of their own...
VanillaFella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 VanillaFella
Member since 2010 • 50 Posts

[QUOTE="Mafiree"][QUOTE="Mario_Eater"]They have every right to have children. Yes they may be poor, but that is all the more reason why we should help them out... The fact that you even suggest that they should not have children because of their economic status horrifies me. They did not choose to be born into poverty, and not everyone is lucky enough to live in a middle-higher class family in a 1st world country. Why waste money oppressing them with 'regulations' on how many children they can or cannot have, or on condoms and marketing (which is unneccessary) when we can start supplying them with water, food, shelter etc. TC, you need to take a wider look at the world. Would you say the same thing to someone living in extreme poverty in your country? Why is it their fault if all they are doing is ensuring the survival of their family and race... Mario_Eater

I am not saying I want cheap labour... and never once did I even imply it... I am trying to state that it is only human nature to ensure the survival of our race. And how do we go about that? By having offspring of course... So why should a 'cashed up' first world country try to say who can or cannot have children... It is ultimately the parents decision to decide, not any government that presides over a first world country thousands of kilometres away... they have enough issues of their own...

I would have to agree with you.

Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mafiree
Member since 2008 • 3704 Posts
[QUOTE="Mafiree"][QUOTE="Mario_Eater"]They have every right to have children. Yes they may be poor, but that is all the more reason why we should help them out... The fact that you even suggest that they should not have children because of their economic status horrifies me. They did not choose to be born into poverty, and not everyone is lucky enough to live in a middle-higher class family in a 1st world country. Why waste money oppressing them with 'regulations' on how many children they can or cannot have, or on condoms and marketing (which is unneccessary) when we can start supplying them with water, food, shelter etc. TC, you need to take a wider look at the world. Would you say the same thing to someone living in extreme poverty in your country? Why is it their fault if all they are doing is ensuring the survival of their family and race... Mario_Eater

I don't understand how you insure the survival of your race by over extending yourself when you already have limited resources...... If anything you are doing just the opposite, by taking away from your health and the health of your older offspring. Since, you have to sacrifice already limited resources to insure the health of you and your new offspring.
TheChosenTurkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheChosenTurkey

It's just part of nature to want to pass on your genes. No way would you be able to regulate people having sex, unless you neutered them. Also instead of giving them free condoms, I think we are better off giving them food and water. Your question is pretty dumb.Darkman2007
If condoms are common place everywhere for free and mass campaigns, hell, even scare campaigns where the ad basically says if you're living in poverty and you have children they will suffer, will lessen the amount of food and water that will be needed to support them. Argh and I hate the part of human nature stuff.
You have to pay hired help. Children are a "free" source of work, and they also have a built-in sense of obligation and duty. Historically, it has not been at all uncommon to put kids to work as soon as they were physically able. Rich kids have the luxury of playing and studying, while poor kids go to work before they're 10 years old, and then spend 15 hours a day working dangerous factory jobs to support the family. The mere fact that you see this as weird shows just how good things are for most of us today. MrGeezer
Aight, I get you point. However, and I know many people will disagree with me here, if I was living in poverty so bad that I needed a child to work for me as I am sick (I'm assuming the parent is sick as a non sick/diabled parent could do the factory work themselves) I'd just chose to die without a child since I'm going to anyway. But then again, I guess people will claim that it's human nature to survive.

Which brings me to the conclusion that humans are irresponsible.

freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts

If I had my way everyone below the poverty line would be castrated.

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#27 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts
Because condoms can break when you least expect it.
Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Rikusaki
Member since 2006 • 16634 Posts
Because condoms can break when you least expect it.JasonDarksavior
Yeah! And they buy the cheap kind!
PerfectCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PerfectCode
Member since 2007 • 127 Posts

[QUOTE="JasonDarksavior"]Because condoms can break when you least expect it.Rikusaki
Yeah! And they buy the cheap kind!

Yeah! Because they can't afford the expensive reliable kind!

ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ExoticAnimal
Member since 2010 • 39796 Posts
This brings up an interesting debate of whether people who live in poverty should be able to have children at all or not. People have the right to have children but to what point when a parent should be banned from having a child because a parent cannot provide the basic necessities for them to live a healthy life? I personally feel that if one can barely support themself, then it is unfair to bring a life into this world only for the child to suffer from lack of proper nutrition, lack of an education, and lack of proper medical care. Why would you make the child suffer at the expense of just wanting a child to pass on the family name? It's just being selfish on the parent's part. Sure there are some instances where you can't control the outcome such as girls getting raped but doesn't mean that people in poverty should be going out to have children just because they want to.
coolkid93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#31 coolkid93
Member since 2007 • 6749 Posts

Whenever I see someone that is already struggling but has a football team of kids, I think of some of those things. And I can't stand that crap excuse "well a man/woman has needs". If you already can't afford kids, why do so?

DJ-PRIME90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#32 DJ-PRIME90
Member since 2004 • 11292 Posts
I say its just stupidity. Maybe not in those 3rd world countries where you got saw that guilt ad, but here in modern civilization its just stupidity. If you can't afford to support a family, don't have kids. If you're against abortion, don't have sex. What really gets me is these teen moms, they get knocked up and most of them can't give you a good reason for why they want to keep it, or they just won't.
Gardenpath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Gardenpath
Member since 2009 • 64 Posts

Perhaps it's having children that makes you poor ;)

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

Some countries has no social welfare system, the only way to get looked after as you get old are your own children, if poor people had no kids they would starve when they could no longer work.

MrsSolidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 MrsSolidSnake
Member since 2009 • 5003 Posts

Lack of education and money for contraceptives?

Also, over here people have children just for the sake of it becausethey get a significant amount of money from the government when it is born. A lot of people just blow the money on luxuries and NOT on the baby.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
I agree with this. My friend is forever complaining about her sister with three children struggling to support them and how the government should give her more help. If you don't have a decent enough wage to support children, dont have them, never mind three. :?
indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Poor people always suffer ... first from Poverty and now OT deciding why poor peoples have children . Leave poor peoples alone , let them live any they wish . They are human beings like us and deserve to have children .

TBH we well to do guys know nothing about a poor guys pain .

If you care about poor people so much , donate money to them than debating about them .

gameking5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#38 gameking5000
Member since 2007 • 1360 Posts

It might be because that they're not educated enough. I read an article that showed citizens of developed countries who were educated, had less children but childhood death rates were low. While in impoverished nations they have a high death and birth rate.

GrudHeap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 GrudHeap
Member since 2011 • 138 Posts
You really don't have to have sex "all the time" to end up with a child. There are plenty of people in the United States that end up having children without the means to take care of them, the only difference is that here a lot of those people have tons of safety nets when compared to people in third world countries.
Firebird-5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Firebird-5
Member since 2007 • 2848 Posts
lol if poor people didnt have children be assured the west would have bigger demographic problems than it does now
Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
Because some people in poorer countries see children as useful little helpers. In more developed countries however, there is less of an excuse for it.
Ull_Blull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ull_Blull
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Cause the want to become more poorer.
supdotcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 supdotcom
Member since 2010 • 1121 Posts

they'll get the children to work for the family.

th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44 th3warr1or
Member since 2007 • 20637 Posts
[QUOTE="Mario_Eater"]They have every right to have children. Yes they may be poor, but that is all the more reason why we should help them out... The fact that you even suggest that they should not have children because of their economic status horrifies me. They did not choose to be born into poverty, and not everyone is lucky enough to live in a middle-higher class family in a 1st world country. Why waste money oppressing them with 'regulations' on how many children they can or cannot have, or on condoms and marketing (which is unneccessary) when we can start supplying them with water, food, shelter etc. TC, you need to take a wider look at the world. Would you say the same thing to someone living in extreme poverty in your country? Why is it their fault if all they are doing is ensuring the survival of their family and race...

Um, yes. They did not choose to be born into poverty, and by having kids, that's just continuing the cycle.
-Y2J-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 -Y2J-
Member since 2005 • 1000 Posts
who are we talking about, third world nations or just in general.?
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

I dont mind helping the poor. But i'm not happy paying for some slut's benefits who had children JUST for the benefits. The epitomy of scum. I feel sorry for the kids brought up into that.

NuclearNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 NuclearNerd
Member since 2010 • 399 Posts
Because kids might make em happy. Sure you can barely support them, but you'd love them and make each other happy. Why should poor people not have kids just because the kids might also end up poor? It's not as if they are guaranteed to be poor forever, there are many stories of successful people who started out in poverty out there. That's like saying poor people shouldn't be allowed to spend money on anything other than necessities. "Well, we have this poverty problem that makes us look bad. We better regulate the poor and make sure they don't have kids, don't spend money on luxuries and only live their lives in such a way where it would lead to them not being poor any more." My goodness. Between this and the number of people around here who think they would be merciful by aborting a fetus of their child if it were known to have a defect of mental disability (because you can't live a happy life with a disability or mental illness!), I hope OT isn't a legitimate sampling of the outside world's opinions.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#48 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

The question shouldn't be why they have children. Everyone has a right to have children. The question should be why do they have 5 to 6 children?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#49 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

In less developed countries, children are a source of labor to help a family. However in a developed country in the USA it gets complicated. A lot of poor/uneducated people who don't go beyond high school have kids because it's the logical next step in life. It's how they were raised. You are born, go to school, have a family, then die. That's how we are programmed since we are kids.

I don't think it's about government incentives to have kids. I won't doubt that people abuse that system, but it's not the real reason why working class people have kids. It's all culture. People don't use their best judgement either. They don't realize it costs far more than people can afford to raise a kid. Often these kids are born into families where education isn't valued. It's really just a bad cycle.

We can't stop people from having kids unless we become like China and that means forced abortions after 1 kid (an extremely horrible practice).

I noticed that from my graduating class, those who didn't go to school after high school already have kids. These are the same people who get married right out of high school and divorced a few years later. It's all bad judgement. Our culture keeps telling them to get married and have kids. That's happiness. In all reality, those who go to school often see a different picture than what's on TV. They realize happiness is whatever you want it to be. They believe in stability and the ability to support a real family. This is why none of my college friends who have graduated have kids and are not married yet.

dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts

In less developed countries, children are a source of labor to help a family. However in a developed country in the USA it gets complicated. A lot of poor/uneducated people who don't go beyond high school have kids because it's the logical next step in life. It's how they were raised. You are born, go to school, have a family, then die. That's how we are programmed since we are kids.

I don't think it's about government incentives to have kids. I won't doubt that people abuse that system, but it's not the real reason why working class people have kids. It's all culture. People don't use their best judgement either. They don't realize it costs far more than people can afford to raise a kid. Often these kids are born into families where education isn't valued. It's really just a bad cycle.

We can't stop people from having kids unless we become like China and that means forced abortions after 1 kid (an extremely horrible practice).

I noticed that from my graduating class, those who didn't go to school after high school already have kids. These are the same people who get married right out of high school and divorced a few years later. It's all bad judgement. Our culture keeps telling them to get married and have kids. That's happiness. In all reality, those who go to school often see a different picture than what's on TV. They realize happiness is whatever you want it to be. They believe in stability and the ability to support a real family. This is why none of my college friends who have graduated have kids and are not married yet.

Wasdie
This seems to be the most reasonable and level headed answer I've seen in this thread. People aren't just "stupid" or "mooches" but the reason do vary between developed and non- developed countries.