Why do people still deny climate change?

• 140 results
#1 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69536 posts) -

As a norwegian i can see the change first hand, why are there people still denying this in 2014? 98% of scientists agree that there is global warming. What more do you people need?

#2 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7719 posts) -

Lack of knowledge on the subject. Also doesn't help with the constant barrage of misinformation filling the media from special interest groups.

#3 Posted by johnd13 (7885 posts) -

Either they live under a rock or are misinformed.

#4 Posted by jasean79 (2339 posts) -

There's just as much evidence against it as there is for it. Plus, I have more pressing matters in my life to worry about.

#5 Edited by Makhaidos (1611 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

There's just as much evidence against it as there is for it.

No there isn't. That's a stupid statement.

And to OP: The number of scientists that agree there is global warming is closer to 99.8%.

#6 Edited by jasean79 (2339 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

I'll save you the argument and just say....

Ok.

#7 Posted by Makhaidos (1611 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

@Makhaidos said:

@jasean79 said:

I'll save you the argument and just say....

Ok.

Good, because to argue the point would be the stupidity equivalent of arguing that there's as much evidence against germ theory as there is for it.

#8 Posted by GazaAli (22492 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

There's just as much evidence against it as there is for it. Plus, I have more pressing matters in my life to worry about.

I accept climate change as a reality. To tell you the truth, I don't know much about the scientific evidence surrounding it. I know the gist of it but I'm not an expert on the matter. With that said, I believe it doesn't take a genius to realize that with the industrial revolution and the economic activities of human civilization during the past 200 years turned the ecosystem upside down. It is conspicuously destructive of the environment and it is depleting earth's resources at an unprecedented level.

It also does not take a genius to realize that pretty much all the evidence against climate change is probably coming from interest groups and those who are benefiting of the current status quo.

#9 Posted by lostrib (32942 posts) -

Boredom?

Though I think some people accept that the climate is changing, but not that it's caused by man

#10 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17379 posts) -

Da oil man tellz me not to worry bout it

why wuld he ly 2 me?

#11 Posted by Master_Live (13931 posts) -

Because I touch myself at night.

#12 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7719 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

lol you're starting to become a funny guy around these parts.

#13 Edited by Master_Live (13931 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

lol you're starting to become a funny guy around these parts.

Not funny, a joke.

#14 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69536 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

Oh really, even when scientists pretty much say it's fact. It's nice that you don't have to worry about it, but i have to and i am living with the consequnces. Hell we had the warmest month of may here in ages this year

#15 Posted by Makhaidos (1611 posts) -

You're just gonna have to stop doing that.

#16 Edited by Master_Live (13931 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

But it feels so good.

#17 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69536 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Boredom?

Though I think some people accept that the climate is changing, but not that it's caused by man

It is, it's nothing else causing this much CO2 to go out in the atmosphere

#18 Posted by Makhaidos (1611 posts) -

@Makhaidos said:

@Master_Live said:

But it feels so good.

Fine, fine. I'll touch you at night instead.

#19 Edited by Makhaidos (1611 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@lostrib said:

Boredom?

Blah blah cow farts, blah blah warming cycles. Also, gays.

#20 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69536 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@lostrib said:

Boredom?

True that animals release CO2, but not at this rate, also the warming cycles doesn't explain it, and the last one i seriously is sarcastic

#21 Posted by Makhaidos (1611 posts) -

@Makhaidos said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@lostrib said:

Boredom?

True that animals release CO2, but not at this rate, also the warming cycles doesn't explain it, and the last one i seriously is sarcastic

I'm pretty certain there is an established causal link between gay sex and natural disasters like hurricanes, earthquakes, and the Eragon movie.

#22 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69536 posts) -

@Makhaidos: Don't forget the explosions in all of the Michael Bay movies

#23 Posted by toast_burner (21285 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@lostrib said:

Boredom?

I find it odd when people mention cow farts when it's humans that are breeding so many cows.

#24 Posted by Makhaidos (1611 posts) -

@Makhaidos said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@lostrib said:

Boredom?

I find it odd when people mention cow farts when it's humans that are breeding so many cows.

Yeah. Gay cows, at that.

#25 Edited by The_Last_Ride (69536 posts) -
#26 Posted by toast_burner (21285 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

@Makhaidos said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@lostrib said:

Boredom?

Yeah. Gay cows, at that.

Could be worse, at least those cows were born here. The cows that slip across the border and steal other cows jobs are the worst kind.

#27 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69536 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

I would love to see the facts on that though

#28 Posted by toast_burner (21285 posts) -

@Makhaidos: How do you breed gay cows?

You just breed normal cows but put them in with gay cows. The gay cows will then indoctrinate the normal cow.

#29 Edited by Makhaidos (1611 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Makhaidos: How do you breed gay cows?

You know how minotaurs come from a cross between Zeus and a bull? It's kinda like that, only with fewer bitchy wives cursing the Greek population.

#30 Posted by Master_Live (13931 posts) -

Ahhh, you see, two conflicting explanations for gay cows. Scientists might agree on climate change but theories on gay cows is another story.

#31 Posted by killzowned24 (7296 posts) -

I won't be convinced until it gets hotter each year and that definitely aint happening.It's actually been colder around here lol. Scientists could be BSn for all I know ,I sure would if it kept a nice job lined up ;)

#32 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69536 posts) -

I won't be convinced until it gets hotter each year and that definitely aint happening.It's actually been colder around here lol. Scientists could be BSn for all I know ,I sure would if it kept a nice job lined up ;)

I would welcome you to my parts where i live. I was climbing glaciers just a few years ago, now you can't even reach them because they've melted away

#33 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6517 posts) -

Awesome. A thread on gay cows.

Don't these one of those very often. :D

#34 Posted by Makhaidos (1611 posts) -

Ahhh, you see, two conflicting explanations for gay cows. Scientists might agree on climate change but theories on gay cows is another story.

We must use science! You go put the straight cows with the gay cows, and I'll. . .prepare the control group.

#35 Edited by toast_burner (21285 posts) -

It is happening. Some years may be colder where you live but globally the temperature is clearly increasing.

#36 Posted by jasean79 (2339 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

Oh really, even when scientists pretty much say it's fact. It's nice that you don't have to worry about it, but i have to and i am living with the consequnces. Hell we had the warmest month of may here in ages this year

And we had one of the coldest winters this year in years. Now, what about global warming?

#37 Posted by Aljosa23 (24521 posts) -

Republican propaganda, probably. Gotta continue slurping "job creators".

#38 Posted by toast_burner (21285 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@jasean79 said:

And we had one of the coldest winters this year in years. Now, what about global warming?

No you had the coldest winter in years. Over here we didn't see a single snow flake.

It's called global warming, not local to Jasean warming.

#39 Edited by Makhaidos (1611 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@jasean79 said:

Aww, we had a good thread going and then you had to go and make it all serious.

Global warming means that hotter periods are going to get hotter and colder periods will get colder. So the fact that we're having hotter summers and colder winters is more proof of global warming--it joins that huge mountain of evidence we were talking about earlier.

#40 Posted by jasean79 (2339 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@jasean79 said:

No you had the coldest winter in years. Over here we didn't see a single snow flake.

Oh, well, according to Kerry this is the "world's most fearsome weapon of mass destruction", yet I haven't seen a single bit of evidence to support that theory. So, forgive me if I don't share the same sentiment as you.

#41 Edited by The_Last_Ride (69536 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@jasean79 said:

We had one of the warmest winters here in north europe, same can be said about the other countries. Just because locally you had a cold winter, doesn't mean on average that it wasn't cold. That's just plain logic man

#42 Edited by toast_burner (21285 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

@toast_burner said:

@jasean79 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@jasean79 said:

Oh, well, according to Kerry this is the "world's most fearsome weapon of mass destruction", yet I haven't seen a single bit of evidence to support that theory. So, forgive me if I don't share the same sentiment as you.

Who the hell is Kelly and how is that relevent? Just because you haven't looked at the evidence doesn't mean it isn't there.

#43 Posted by jasean79 (2339 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

@toast_burner said:

@jasean79 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@jasean79 said:

Who the hell is Kelly and how are they more credible than 99% of scientists? Just because you haven't looked at the evidence doesn't mean it isn't there.

It's "Kerry" and he's Obama's replacement for Secretary of State over Hillary Clinton (you do know who she is, right?). I agree, he's no scientist!

#44 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69536 posts) -

@jasean79: Seriously dude, scientists aka people who deal with facts. Are saying 98 vs 2 out of a hundred say it is real. Do you realize how conclusive that is? That's like saying evolution is just a conspiracy... Dinosaurs are 5000 years old, the earth is flat and the sun orbits around the earth. It's fact

#45 Posted by killzowned24 (7296 posts) -

@killzowned24 said:

I would welcome you to my parts where i live. I was climbing glaciers just a few years ago, now you can't even reach them because they've melted away

That's sad,but doesn't mean it's global. I just aint concerned because I have seen weather fluctuate so much over the years so is hard to see any pattern. Right now, it''s in the 70s and was in the 90s last year,needed a fleece blanket FFS to sleep last night and is almost july lol.

#46 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69536 posts) -

@jasean79: He could still conclude that scientists are right without being an expert on the matter and say it's the most important case we have to face.

#47 Posted by Aljosa23 (24521 posts) -

Jasean you have a strong opinion on every god damn topic. Doesn't it get tiring to pretend you know stuff when in actuality you don't?

#48 Edited by toast_burner (21285 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

@toast_burner said:

@jasean79 said:

@toast_burner said:

@jasean79 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@jasean79 said:

Who the hell is Kelly and how are they more credible than 99% of scientists? Just because you haven't looked at the evidence doesn't mean it isn't there.

It's "Kerry" and he's Obama's replacement for Secretary of State over Hillary Clinton (you do know who she is, right?). I agree, he's no scientist!

And how is it relevant? Like I said global warming is real regardless of what you think. Lets be honest here, you're quite an idiot, why do you assume what you think matters?

#49 Posted by killzowned24 (7296 posts) -

@killzowned24 said:

It is happening. Some years may be colder where you live but globally the temperature is clearly increasing.

This doesn't convince me with what I have lived through though. And the record only goes so far back ,so for all we know ,that is just how it works.

#50 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69536 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@killzowned24 said:

That's sad,but doesn't mean it's global. I just aint concerned because I have seen weather fluctuate so much over the years so is hard to see any pattern. Right now, it''s in the 70s and was in the 90s last year,needed a fleece blanket FFS to sleep last night and is almost july lol.

Climate is a complex thing, just because it can go up and down, doesn't mean it's not happening. The average tempature is going up and the glaciers and oceans are rising. This is backed by the scientific community