Why do people hate Tyler Perry so much?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by GhettoBlastin92 (1146 posts) -

I think his movies are ok for what they are, but I notice that this man and his movies/plays get A LOT of hate thrown towards them.

#2 Posted by KC_Hokie (16099 posts) -

I think his movies are ok for what they are, but I notice that this man and his movies/plays get A LOT of hate thrown towards them.

GhettoBlastin92
Never watched any of his stuff. Looks awful though.
#3 Posted by Allicrombie (25122 posts) -
Cause Madea is dumb and him trying to replace Morgan Freeman as Alex Cross is sad. Plus he's worth tons of money.
#4 Posted by thegerg (14718 posts) -
It's mostly because he makes movies that perpetuate the stereotypes of ignorance and violence in the black community. He's making blackface movies, except that the actors are actually blacks.
#5 Posted by JDWolfie (1854 posts) -

He gets paid wayyy too much for the mediocore crap he puts out.

#6 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14368 posts) -

Because he can't take any critism of himself. When The Boondocks did an episode poking fun at him, he complained to Turner Broadcasting executives, and threatened to "re-evaluate his relationship with the company." In other words, he threatened to pull his crappy shows, because he can't take a joke.

#7 Posted by KiIIyou (27135 posts) -
He's got pedophile hands
#8 Posted by thegerg (14718 posts) -

He gets paid wayyy too much for the mediocore crap he puts out.

JDWolfie
No. He gets paid exactly what he earns, not too much.
#9 Posted by Bucked20 (6951 posts) -
Cause he's stuck in the closet and his movies suck
#10 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (28019 posts) -
I honestly haven't seen a show that's more cringe-worthy than House of Payne. It's excruciating. I don't know how anyone could possible find his material funny.
#11 Posted by JDWolfie (1854 posts) -

Because he can't take any critism of himself. When The Boondocks did an episode poking fun at him, he complained to Turner Broadcasting executives, and threatened to "re-evaluate his relationship with the company." In other words, he threatened to pull his crappy shows, because he can't take a joke.

Hallenbeck77
+1 to The Boondocks. That's the only black humor show I find funny. I'm not a huge fan or anything, but from the stuff I've seen, show's awesome. I think one episode the kids and some other dudes were planning to kidnap Oprah at a Barnes and Noble bookstore. But they dropped in the bookstore next to it, Borders. It was hilarious.
#12 Posted by WolfattheDoor34 (3278 posts) -
he's responsible for the deaths of millions of innocent people
#13 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

I don't hate him, he seems like an ok guy. But he seems like he is making his movies/shows for only black people, and some of them seem stereotypical to me. I don't know why he just can't make a movie as a movie.

I don't care what ethnicity the actors are, that doesn't even cross my mind.Black, white, asian etc....I'm fine with anything. But why not just make a movie as a movie without any racial preference to it?

EDIT:However that being said some of his movies do have a good message to them, like someone mentioned "Why did I get married". I think that movie portrays a more realistic version of marriage and the challenges that come from it.

#14 Posted by hippiesanta (9772 posts) -
because tyler perry thinks he conquer african american related movie
#15 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

I don't mind him. He doesn't seem like he's all that bad. And I did enjoy his movies and plays earlier on. But now they're just starting to get old. They are all more or less the same now. He should branch out and do some other types of movies.

#16 Posted by GhettoBlastin92 (1146 posts) -

I don't mind him. He doesn't seem like he's all that bad. And I did enjoy his movies and plays earlier on. But now they're just starting to get old. They are all more or less the same now. He should branch out and do some other types of movies.

Lucky_Krystal
I agree, that is the exact problem I have with him, he reuses the same stuff over and over. You can pretty much predict how his movies are going to end in the opening credits.
#17 Posted by TopTierHustler (3961 posts) -

Cause he's stuck in the closet and his movies suck Bucked20
I liked why did I get married.

Yes he's prob gay though.

#18 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bucked20"]Cause he's stuck in the closet and his movies suck TopTierHustler

I don't get a gay vibe from him. What makes you think he's gay Just curious.

#19 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150066 posts) -
Probably appeals to the lowest common denominator. Never watched his work.....looks terrible.
#20 Posted by GhettoBlastin92 (1146 posts) -

[QUOTE="TopTierHustler"]

[QUOTE="Bucked20"]Cause he's stuck in the closet and his movies suck Lucky_Krystal

I don't get a gay vibe from him. What makes you think he's gay Just curious.

Probably because he made millions off cross dressing lol.
#21 Posted by 2saugat (1439 posts) -

I love Tyler Perry he is funny and he is black.

#22 Posted by Swanogt19 (24159 posts) -
A lot of what he does appears to be the samething.
#23 Posted by Chevolutionary (23290 posts) -
Because he's a c*nt?
#24 Posted by thebest31406 (3320 posts) -
It's mostly because he makes movies that perpetuate the stereotypes of ignorance and violence in the black community. He's making blackface movies, except that the actors are actually blacks. thegerg
Is he really? Why? Because of the Madea character?
#25 Posted by Gen007 (10955 posts) -

[QUOTE="thegerg"]It's mostly because he makes movies that perpetuate the stereotypes of ignorance and violence in the black community. He's making blackface movies, except that the actors are actually blacks. thebest31406

Yeah thats the correct answer really. Anything else is false.

#26 Posted by Omni-Slash (54404 posts) -
you mean besides the whole horrible actor and sh*tty movies thing?...
#27 Posted by GamingTitan (505 posts) -

because his movies and shows are just cookie cutter garbage. The fact that they make so much says alot about the people that watch them and enjoy them~

seriously...you have to have incredibly low standards to like any of his crap~

#28 Posted by Rockman999 (7232 posts) -

Because he's a traitor to his own gender. I swear all of his movies have some sort of anti-male message in them. Oh yeah and the guy tries way too hard with the drama. God the movie "For Colored Girls" was just umbearable. The first hour was nothing more than a long drawn out dramatic hyperbole and the second hour was just a trainwreck of random monologues. He should at least stick to making comedies and stop trying to shoe-horn drama into his comedies like with the Madea movies. I don't give a fvck about some bimbo who got trolled by her ex husband or some chicken head who became a hooker cause some dudes ran train on her in college. I came to see the comedic antics of the stereotypical angry, sassy, black caricature not some sappy pity case.

TL: DR:

HIS MOVIES SUCK!

#29 Posted by thegerg (14718 posts) -
[QUOTE="thegerg"]It's mostly because he makes movies that perpetuate the stereotypes of ignorance and violence in the black community. He's making blackface movies, except that the actors are actually blacks. thebest31406

Is he really? Yes. Why? Because it makes him money. Because of the Madea character? Try asking a real question in the form of a full sentence. This one makes no sense.
#30 Posted by harashawn (27599 posts) -
He's just not funny, and his job is to be funny.
#31 Posted by Jebus213 (8720 posts) -
#32 Posted by Rockman999 (7232 posts) -
#33 Posted by soulless4now (41360 posts) -

Because Madea is ghetto as hell.

#34 Posted by Serraph105 (27757 posts) -

I have no hate for Tyler Perry, he's just clearly not making movies for me. That's just fine with me.

#35 Posted by Optical_Order (5100 posts) -

His shows and movies are insufferable.

Puts out complete sh!t that stupid people like.

#36 Posted by bnarmz (1425 posts) -
He only makes movies about drama in relationships. When he starts directing some action and horror flicks I'll reconsider my opinion of him. Besides dressing up as an old lady has gotten very stale.
#37 Posted by MistressMinako (45920 posts) -
Well, I guess now he keeps repeating the same stuff. I mean I thought Diary of a Mad Black Woman was okay at first but the fact he had to throw her in like almost every movie he makes is just uncreative? My family loves his movies though so I guess it helps me a bit on what they want for Christmas. :P
#38 Posted by svm128 (376 posts) -
I don't like his work at all. Most people from my family like it though.
because tyler perry thinks he conquer african american related moviehippiesanta
The weird thing about this is that when I went to wal-mart. I saw an "urban" section where they sell dvds. All the movies in the urban section are Tyler Perry movies.
#39 Posted by MrPraline (21284 posts) -
Because he releases awful trash.
#40 Posted by chunkowookie (268 posts) -

Why do people hate Tyler Perry so much?

GhettoBlastin92

Why are you asking rhetorical questions?

#41 Posted by soulless4now (41360 posts) -
IThe weird thing about this is that when I went to wal-mart. I saw an "urban" section where they sell dvds. All the movies in the urban section are Tyler Perry movies.svm128
I just went to Walmart today and saw the same thing and there was all his movies, plays and tv series...
#42 Posted by thebest31406 (3320 posts) -

I have no hate for Tyler Perry, he's just clearly not making movies for me. That's just fine with me.

Serraph105
Exactly. He's movies are aimed at a christian audience very much the same way his plays were before. If you don't like it, then don't watch it sheesh.
#43 Posted by NiKva (8768 posts) -
I find his cross-dressing gimmick annoying. Sure it was funny the first time, but not now :|
#44 Posted by Lonelynight (30039 posts) -
never heard of him.
#45 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28344 posts) -

because he has set black people back years.

#46 Posted by dave123321 (33659 posts) -

WilliamRLBaker
How have you been?
#47 Posted by thebest31406 (3320 posts) -

WilliamRLBaker
No, he hasn't.
#48 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42586 posts) -
I haven't seen any of his movies because they look stupid as f*ck.
#49 Posted by JoGoSo (455 posts) -
I don't hate him. His films are extremely basic though with a touch of black culture added to make up for the lack of complexity. I have no issues with his success although I think his acting lead debut was a stinker.
#50 Posted by JoGoSo (455 posts) -

WilliamRLBaker
By employing them?