Why do people get so upset at conspiacy theorists?

• 161 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by JustSignedUp (1148 posts) -

Its not insane to think that conspiracies are true. The army covers a ton of shiiit up dont they? Like friendly fires... other shiiit I dont give a damn about..

So when people think that a 9/11 conspiracy could be true why do kids get so mad? These are the same people that need to answer: why does the average human need to own an assault rifle?

because *joe rogan voice* one day... in  a land farrrrr farr away.... the government willi turn into bad bad men... and we will need to point an assault rifle at soldiers of our own country..

how is that any less insane than a 9/11 conspiracy.. because it happened in the past isnt a good enough excuse.... the futures now.. old man.

#2 Posted by FMAB_GTO (14385 posts) -
That itself is a conspiracy O___O
#3 Posted by JustSignedUp (1148 posts) -

That itself is a conspiracy O___OFMAB_GTO

what3.jpg

#4 Posted by FMAB_GTO (14385 posts) -

[QUOTE="FMAB_GTO"]That itself is a conspiracy O___OJustSignedUp

what3.jpg

Alright, you're hadoken arent you? :3
#5 Posted by FMAB_GTO (14385 posts) -
I said that because the person who stole that pic from me was him, so no offense if you arent him :P
#6 Posted by SirWander (5176 posts) -

.3ef727b7b8.jpg

#7 Posted by hartsickdiscipl (14787 posts) -

Some reasons that I can think of off the top of my head-

-There have been a lot of conspiracy theories with no evidence and/or logical reasoning behind them.  People get sick of them.  When this happens, they become closed-off to theories that may be true.  

-When a proposed conspiracy is nefarious enough, it upsets the world view of many people.  This makes them feel very insecure.  There is a bias towards normalcy.  Dismissing a theory out of hand is easier than changing one's whole world view.  People don't like to be lied to.  When a conspiracy theory is shown to be true, in whole or in part, it typically means that they have been lied to by media and/or authority figures.  

I'm sure there are other good explanations, but this is my input.  

#8 Posted by awesome3496 (2151 posts) -
That itself is a conspiracy O___OFMAB_GTO
Conspiracy about a conspiracy. Time for the Xzibit meme.
#9 Posted by MonsieurX (29242 posts) -
You said it,could be true. But got no proof.
#10 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

We don't get upset, we simply make fun of them. The 9/11 thing is tiresome however. Every point the conspiracy brigade brings up was been debunked a million times.

#11 Posted by ad1x2 (5484 posts) -
Some conspiracy theories are just laughable. Like the people who said explosives were planted in the WTC as a backup just in case the planes didn't take them down. Yet they can't explain how hundreds of people not only planted explosives, but none of the thousands of people who work there saw them being planted. Then you got the Sandy Hook conspiracy guys. So our government is so evil that they are willing to murder over 3,000 people as an excuse to invade Middle Eastern countries and steal their oil but they would stage 20 children being killed (instrad of actually going through the murders), risking their sightings at a later date just to take away guns?
#12 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -
So when people think that a 9/11 conspiracy could be true why do kids get so mad? JustSignedUp
Because there's literally no evidence nor any reason to believe it.
#13 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150066 posts) -
WTF are you talking about? As for the 911 Conspiracy and others....I don't think people are upset as mystified why someone can totally disregard facts to make up a conspiracy.
#14 Posted by MrGeezer (56043 posts) -

-There have been a lot of conspiracy theories with no evidence and/or logical reasoning behind them.  People get sick of them.  When this happens, they become closed-off to theories that may be true.  

-When a proposed conspiracy is nefarious enough, it upsets the world view of many people.  This makes them feel very insecure.  There is a bias towards normalcy.  Dismissing a theory out of hand is easier than changing one's whole world view.  People don't like to be lied to.  When a conspiracy theory is shown to be true, in whole or in part, it typically means that they have been lied to by media and/or authority figures.  

hartsickdiscipl
Another reason: conspiracy theories require someone to be in on the conspiracy. Often, this means that someone has to be lying their asses off. So we end up with situations such as people who've been to the moon being accused of lying. Or people who've lost love ones in the 9/11 attacks being accused of helping to murder their own friends and families. Shockingly enough, many people have a problem with that.
#15 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150066 posts) -

hartsickdiscipl

Proposed...ie someone's invention based on distortion of the facts or outright lies.  You can't see how that might upset an individual that lost someone on 911 or someone who worked to clean up 911? 

Which conspiracy theory has been shown to be true?

#16 Posted by lamprey263 (22836 posts) -
they're idiots dragging the weakest of society down with them it's sad when you see people you know and once respected buy into their BS and degrade into this mindset of disestablishment this and that, they pretty much think they're living in the Matrix, that they have to believe the opposite of what's mainstream accepted but so easily without a shred of scrutiny buy into any BS belief that doesn't fall under the mainstream, they get so effed up in the head it's like they want to disregard anything rational only to buy into make believe and man is it a downward spiral with conspiracy theories, government never went to the moon but they know everything about aliens, no wait the government is run by aliens, no wait the government is run by New World Order, no wait, the New World Order is run by aliens, see there's these interdimensional reptillian shapeshifters that take over human bodies and live and the wealthy and powerful and they basically run the world... yup it goes that far
#17 Posted by FuggaJ (279 posts) -
People get upset when you challenge the official story because they don't like to think for themselves?
#18 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150066 posts) -
People get upset when you challenge the official story because they don't like to think for themselves?FuggaJ
LOL conspiracy theorists are letting someone else feed them misinformation....how is that thinking for oneself?
#19 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -
People get upset when you challenge the official story because they don't like to think for themselves?FuggaJ
I find it funny that those who claim to be "thinking for themselves" are often found quoting what they find on conspiracy theorist websites.
#20 Posted by FuggaJ (279 posts) -
[QUOTE="FuggaJ"]People get upset when you challenge the official story because they don't like to think for themselves?LJS9502_basic
LOL conspiracy theorists are letting someone else feed them misinformation....how is that thinking for oneself?

It was a joke son. But for real governments do lie and we should be skeptical of them constantly. By the way do you ever post anything without condescension?
#21 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150066 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="FuggaJ"]People get upset when you challenge the official story because they don't like to think for themselves?FuggaJ

It was a joke son. But for real governments do lie and we should be skeptical of them constantly. By the way do you ever post anything without condescension?

How's that tin hat fit?
#22 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

[QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

MrGeezer

Another reason: conspiracy theories require someone to be in on the conspiracy. Often, this means that someone has to be lying their asses off. So we end up with situations such as people who've been to the moon being accused of lying. Or people who've lost love ones in the 9/11 attacks being accused of helping to murder their own friends and families. Shockingly enough, many people have a problem with that.

"Why does my implication that you helped cover up your spouse's death upset you so much? I'm just asking questions."

#23 Posted by FuggaJ (279 posts) -

[QUOTE="FuggaJ"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] LOL conspiracy theorists are letting someone else feed them misinformation....how is that thinking for oneself?LJS9502_basic

How's that tin hat fit?

haha alright yer right governments never do anything wrong. Tuskegee, Gulf of Tonkin, Bradley Manning. :roll:

#24 Posted by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -

idk i like conspiracy theory's, it gets your head open and think of the possibility's.

anyways  i really believe our government had a role in 9/11. There is sooooo many things wrong with that picture.

#25 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

idk i like conspiracy theory's, it gets your head open and think of the possibility's.

anyways  i really believe our government had a role in 9/11. There is sooooo many things wrong with that picture.

k2theswiss

Dude, the government couldn't even successfully cover up a small breaking-and-entering (Watergate), you honestly believe they'd be able to pull off something as massive as 9/11?

#26 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150066 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="FuggaJ"] It was a joke son. But for real governments do lie and we should be skeptical of them constantly. By the way do you ever post anything without condescension?FuggaJ

How's that tin hat fit?

haha alright yer right governments never do anything wrong. Tuskegee, Gulf of Tonkin, Bradley Manning. :roll:

WTF are you talking about. The only subject there I've mentioned is Manning. And he violated the UCMJ...no question on that.
#27 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150066 posts) -

k2theswiss
Really? You thinks that many people would allow the US government to destroy other Americans and NOT ONE person would Deep Throat the conspiracy? Seriously?
#28 Posted by FuggaJ (279 posts) -
[QUOTE="FuggaJ"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] How's that tin hat fit?LJS9502_basic

WTF are you talking about. The only subject there I've mentioned is Manning. And he violated the UCMJ...no question on that.

I wasn't talking about what ever you have ever mentioned specifically I'm giving you examples of why you need to be skeptical of yer government to keep them in check. About Manning I was talking more of his treatment not the 'crime' he committed.
#29 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150066 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="FuggaJ"]

FuggaJ

I wasn't talking about what ever you have ever mentioned specifically I'm giving you examples of why you need to be skeptical of yer government to keep them in check. About Manning I was talking more of his treatment not the 'crime' he committed.

That's not a conspiracy. And I never said the government did no wrong. That doesn't mean these silly conspiracy theories with no facts are worth the time of day.
#30 Posted by FuggaJ (279 posts) -

[QUOTE="FuggaJ"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] WTF are you talking about. The only subject there I've mentioned is Manning. And he violated the UCMJ...no question on that.LJS9502_basic

That's not a conspiracy. And I never said the government did no wrong. That doesn't mean these silly conspiracy theories with no facts are worth the time of day.

Jebus dood. My point is governments can be unethical as **** so it's not so far fetched to believe they would trick and manipulate the public to further a specific agenda.

#31 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150066 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="FuggaJ"] I wasn't talking about what ever you have ever mentioned specifically I'm giving you examples of why you need to be skeptical of yer government to keep them in check. About Manning I was talking more of his treatment not the 'crime' he committed.FuggaJ

Jebus dood. My point is governments can be unethical as **** so it's not so far fetched to believe they would trick and manipulate the public to further a specific agenda.

So you're off topic then and bringing in straw men arguments.
#32 Posted by chrisrooR (9026 posts) -
Because some conspiracy theories are based off of straight misinformation, and it's annoying (and can be downright disrespectful) to continue to bring up things that happened in the past which have significant emotional implications for relatives who are still suffering from loss.
#33 Posted by FuggaJ (279 posts) -
[QUOTE="FuggaJ"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] That's not a conspiracy. And I never said the government did no wrong. That doesn't mean these silly conspiracy theories with no facts are worth the time of day.LJS9502_basic

Yup. How is bringing up a reason on why conspiracy theories may be legitimate sometimes off-topic to a conspiracy thread. Do you ever read yer own posts you get way too butthurt and aggressive on these forums when anyone has a differing opinion.
#34 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="FuggaJ"]Jebus dood. My point is governments can be unethical as **** so it's not so far fetched to believe they would trick and manipulate the public to further a specific agenda.

FuggaJ

Yup. How is bringing up a reason on why conspiracy theories may be legitimate sometimes off-topic to a conspiracy thread. Do you ever read yer own posts you get way too butthurt and aggressive on these forums when anyone has a differing opinion.

Certainly the Bush administration exploited 9/11 for their ends, but to think they actually plotted and executed the attack is asinine.

#35 Posted by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

They scared by the truth, they just want to be ignorant, as ignorance is a bliss. People just want to accept things as they are, they don't like people questioning things.

#36 Posted by FuggaJ (279 posts) -

[QUOTE="FuggaJ"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] So you're off topic then and bringing in straw men arguments.worlock77

Certainly the Bush administration exploited 9/11 for their ends, but to think they actually plotted and executed the attack is asinine.

I never said anything about 9/11 my friend. I was joking at first now I'm merely playing devils advocate.Now JFK and another shooter in the grassy knoll, that's one I give serious consideration to.
#37 Posted by chrisrooR (9026 posts) -

They scared by the truth, they just want to be ignorant, as ignorance is a bliss. People just want to accept things as they are, they don't like people questioning things.

ultimate-k
Look, I agree with being critical of things that are said/distributed. But for every event, there are a million differing theories as to what *really* happened. Every conspiracy theorist loves to believe they have uncovered an objective truth, when in reality things like confirmation bias play a huge role in our perceived understanding of events.
#38 Posted by punkpunker (3320 posts) -

99% self made up BS and 1% fact

#39 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150066 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="FuggaJ"]Jebus dood. My point is governments can be unethical as **** so it's not so far fetched to believe they would trick and manipulate the public to further a specific agenda.FuggaJ

I don't care whether anyone agrees with me or not. But the majority of conspiracy theories are ridiculous and anyone with an ounce of common sense should be able to reason that out.....
#40 Posted by QuebecNationale (152 posts) -
Most of the conspiracy theories spread by conspiracy theorists aren't grounded in reality and spit on logic and common sense, however a lot of people dismiss every conspiracy theory, even if it supported by facts and logic. Why they get upset at every conspiracy theory/conspiracy theorist, I do not know.
#41 Posted by -RocBoys9489- (6191 posts) -
9/11 was a hoax, where the *** is the Pentagon footage?! :? Why were there explosions at the bottom of the towers BEFORE the planes hit?! Why did tower 7 collapse from a fire, yet buildings on fire did not?!
#42 Posted by -RocBoys9489- (6191 posts) -
Most of the conspiracy theories spread by conspiracy theorists aren't grounded in reality and spit on logic and common sense, however a lot of people dismiss every conspiracy theory, even if it supported by facts and logic. Why they get upset at every conspiracy theory/conspiracy theorist, I do not know.QuebecNationale
Agreed, people are bred to put too much faith in there state and not use common sense sometimes. Some conspiracies are whacko, but others are very credible and people get too upset to even bother to do lots of research and form an opinion themselves unfortunately.
#43 Posted by chrisrooR (9026 posts) -
9/11 was a hoax, where the *** is the Pentagon footage?! :? Why were there explosions at the bottom of the towers BEFORE the planes hit?! Why did tower 7 collapse from a fire, yet buildings on fire did not?! -RocBoys9489-
#44 Posted by Abbeten (2803 posts) -
9/11 was a hoax, where the *** is the Pentagon footage?! :? Why were there explosions at the bottom of the towers BEFORE the planes hit?! Why did tower 7 collapse from a fire, yet buildings on fire did not?! -RocBoys9489-
huehuehuehuehue
#45 Posted by Bane_09 (3394 posts) -

Well here are my reasons,

They call everyone sheep but refuse to take a good hard look at their own views

Most of the time conspiracies are fvcking stupid and ridiculous to begin with

They never shut up and it gets old, very fast.

I wouldn't say upset, annoyed is better. It's also somewhat amusing at times

#46 Posted by KingKinect (540 posts) -

You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!

#47 Posted by KingKinect (540 posts) -

The truth is that Bin laden never existed. He was actually Hillary Clinton in reserve drag. It was obvious to anyone paying attention.

#48 Posted by bnarmz (1425 posts) -

IMO, people get mad because it shakes up the foundation to their truth, they take it too personal while being oblivious to what these CTs represent,and thats clarity, disclosure than closure.

The CTs exist solely because they poke holes in what is considered factual. I dont get upset either way, but only if innocents have been lost to a heinous crime and the perpetrators are on the verge of getting off scott free. I have no problem considering all information because there is much deceit and corruption everywhere, including government. To me, all that really matters is the truth coming to light.

Imho, anyone catching ill feelings towards CTs without providing their own undeniable proof to what they feel is authentic,are no different than the many secret agents looking to keep the masses mind fixed on what they want the truth to be. Only the good ol slave will obey without question or transparency.

#49 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

well, some of the topics involved are just silly. like i doubt many people get mad at the flat earth conspiracy theorists. however, when the topic is something like "the holocaust never happened," it's understandable that some people might take that personally.

#50 Posted by -RocBoys9489- (6191 posts) -
[QUOTE="-RocBoys9489-"]9/11 was a hoax, where the *** is the Pentagon footage?! :? Why were there explosions at the bottom of the towers BEFORE the planes hit?! Why did tower 7 collapse from a fire, yet buildings on fire did not?! chrisrooR

Great response, you just solved 9/11, congrats, you are just like the people I described in my above post.