Why do people enjoy watching comedians so much?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by LegitGamer3212 (1593 posts) -

People pay $100+ to get front row seats to watch comedians. In NYC there are flyers everywhere and ads about how you should come watch their show. They make hundreds of thousands of dollars. Anyone can get drunk go on stage and talk like an idiot. I don't understand what's so funny about a drunk or a not very smart person on stage talking non sense. Furthermore, they just crack jokes about anything from skin color to how terrible they did in school. I enjoy having a drink with some friends and we talk and joke around but to pay even $20 to watch a drunk/high stranger crack lame jokes?

#2 Posted by Necrifer (10629 posts) -

Yes.

#3 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12766 posts) -

Good comedians do more than just ramble like a drunken idiot. It's not just about the joke, but the delivery, and it's not easy to do on a consistent basis...in front of a lot of people you don't know.

I challenge you to go on stage and not bomb. Though, I'd gladly pay to watch you bomb.:P

#4 Posted by JML897 (33120 posts) -
Because laughing along with a large group of people is really fun to some.
#5 Posted by Killzonage (408 posts) -

Good comedians do more than just ramble like a drunken idiot. It's not just about the joke, but the delivery, and it's not easy to do on a consistent basis...in front of a lot of people you don't know.

I challenge you to go on stage and not bomb. Though, I'd gladly pay to watch you bomb.:P

br0kenrabbit
Pretty much this.
#6 Posted by GT90 (6256 posts) -

Most comedians barely make any money at all. It's also very hard to do what they do, having to deal with hecklers or an audience that isn't responding, by no means is easy. If you think it's just standing on stage drunk, rambling about things, go ahead and try it, you won't get very far.

#7 Posted by wis3boi (31004 posts) -

Most comedians barely make any money at all. It's also very hard to do what they do, having to deal with hecklers or an audience that isn't responding, by no means is easy. If you think it's just standing on stage drunk, rambling about things, go ahead and try it, you won't get very far.

GT90

#8 Posted by harashawn (27599 posts) -
I dare you to watch this and tell me you didn't enjoy it.
#9 Posted by KiIIyou (27135 posts) -

br0kenrabbit
But why though? ;p
#10 Posted by SaintLeonidas (25854 posts) -
Maybe you should actually look up and watch some comedians, which based on your description of them is something you have clearly never done, before making such a dumb thread.
#11 Posted by CleanPlayer (9772 posts) -
Because they are ridiculous good looking?
#12 Posted by chilly-chill (8902 posts) -
When it comes to comedy I like watching rap battles. They say some funny stuff, delivery is crazy.
#13 Posted by LegitGamer3212 (1593 posts) -

Maybe you should actually look up and watch some comedians, which based on your description of them is something you have clearly never done, before making such a dumb thread. SaintLeonidas

I watched them already, both in person and on youtube.

#14 Posted by MrPraline (21284 posts) -
rip hicks
#15 Posted by Zyamaman (1774 posts) -

I+had+fun+once_665c2e_3305380.jpg

#16 Posted by 8-Bitterness (3707 posts) -
Damn TC, I bet you're not funny.
#17 Posted by BenedictArnold7 (701 posts) -
You are a fool. What a ridiculous thing to say. Being a professional comedian is extremely difficult. It takes them years to develop acts that people actually want to go pay to see. It is also extremely difficult to actually achieve success in that field. This probably the dumbest post I have ever read. It is like saying all a doctor does is check your temperature. Buy a clue.
#18 Posted by shadowkiller11 (7953 posts) -
I wouldn't like to be your friend.
#19 Posted by CycleOfViolence (3314 posts) -

TC, you appear to lack a sense of humor.

I pity you.

#20 Posted by Rockman999 (7232 posts) -

br0kenrabbit

This and I would like to add that I much would rather be laughing and having fun than being serious and boring.

#21 Posted by chrisrooR (9026 posts) -

br0kenrabbit
This x1000. I'd gladly watch you have a go (and suck) at being a standup.
#22 Posted by dagreenfish (1817 posts) -
Are you really asking why people like to laugh? Or is this one of those things when somebody complains that others like something they don't.
#23 Posted by October_Tide (5396 posts) -

I dare you to watch this and tell me you didn't enjoy it.harashawn

Tramp Arlene haha that's gold.

#24 Posted by michael_1234576 (8620 posts) -
you need to see better comedians
#25 Posted by Chris_Williams (14868 posts) -

why do people enjoy knitting, why do people enjoy reading books? sh*t happens

#26 Posted by l4dak47 (6838 posts) -
rip hicks MrPraline
#27 Posted by dave123321 (33576 posts) -
you need to see better comedians michael_1234576
#28 Posted by Laihendi (5800 posts) -
Jerry Seinfeld is one of my favorite people in the world and I would pay money to be in the same room as him. But if you remove the celebrity idolization factor then I guess I don't see the point.
#29 Posted by JohnF111 (14046 posts) -
It's clear you haven't watched many comedians perform, it's like a magic show, you know it isn't real but you enjoy the act and outcome. Same with TV, why do yuo watch TV when it's just actors firing fake guns with special effects? Same answer is given.. Entertainment.
#30 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

I+had+fun+once_665c2e_3305380.jpg

Zyamaman

:lol:

I had a face like that on a ride once too.