Why do people become vegans and vegetarians?

• 135 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
I really want to know why because they're one of the most annoying people. Especially on the internet.
KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
Wonder why you don't hear from the non annoying ones.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
Wonder why you don't hear from the non annoying ones.KiIIyou
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
Healthier life style? With today's antibiotics and processed foods I'm sure there's a negative, or probably some animal lover.
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

I feel like I hear more people complaining about annoying vegetarians than I do actual annoying vegetarians. All of the people I know who are vegetarians never even brought it up until we actually had a meal together.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts
some people do it for health reasons, or some people react to seeing how awful meat production is personally I wouldn't mind making a switch over if the rest of society went that way, as long as we have alternatives in food variety and quality that make the transition easy, but who knows, increase food costs just may lead to a day where we simply stop eating meat because we can't afford it, or we switch to eating bugs for our protein which is possible in our lifetime, even in the West
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jebus213
Healthier life style?Fightingfan
So not eating what naturally eat is a healthier life style?
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Healthier life style?Jebus213

too much of a good thing can be bad
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Healthier life style?Jebus213

The meat you buy at the grocery store isn't compareable to what the Native Americans hunted, or what cavemen would fest on, it's tainted.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
Some people are vegetarian/vegan for the sake of being healthy. Others are vegetarian/vegan for ethical reasons, like not wanting to support animal cruelty (which could mean either killing itself or simply unethical practices in the meat industry).
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts
Some people are vegetarian/vegan for the sake of being healthy. Others are vegetarian/vegan for ethical reasons, like not wanting to support animal cruelty (which could mean either killing itself or simply unethical practices in the meat industry).ghoklebutter
you've gone full circle with your avatar. just like aljosa and praline.
SystemsGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 SystemsGO
Member since 2011 • 1285 Posts

I feel like I hear more people complaining about annoying vegetarians than I do actual annoying vegetarians. All of the people I know who are vegetarians never even brought it up until we actually had a meal together.

metroidfood

I agree with this. People like you, for no one reason like to bring things like vegetarians to the forefront and bash them because they feel inadequate about something in their own lives. Perhaps you're overweight, and it bothers you for that reason? Then again, I'm not here to find out your lifestyle, or complain about it.

As a vegetarian I can tell you that myself personally, I never even mention the fact that I am a vegetarian unless a meat product is offered to me, in which case I politely say "No thank you, I'm vegetarian", and move on with my life. I am not an advocate for Vegetarians, and I don't care that others are, or aren't vegetarian. There are few who do, just like with any subculture, be it religion, or meat eaters alike. Everyone brags about something, and insists you try it or you're not socially acceptable in their eyes. If that's the case write those people off like I have. I'm also not religion but Christians insist on coming to my doorstep to tell me why I need to be saved. If a christian finds out I'm not religious they insist on being rude, and claiming I'll go to hell, etc..

One fact that I can give to you as a vegetarian is than when others find out you're a vegetarian you receive more harassment than you would for anything else. People will start eating their lunch meat sandwiches and ask you why you don't eat it, because it's soo good, even though you've already explained it to them. People tell you "I'm going to make you eat meat, you're going to go out to eat me and we're going to eat meat", or "You're weird, why don't you eat meat?". It's the same thing over and over again.

If you must know why I'm a vegetarian, before you ask I'll go ahead and tell you. It's not because I am disgusted by the fact that I'm eating an animal, or because of animal rights(I find animal rights annoying), but it's because I do not like meat, plain and simple. I've been this way since child hood. My parents have sent me to psychiatrists, hypnotists etc, trying to correct the issue. When really, I just don't have the taste required for meat. It makes me gag, it makes me sick. I don't care if others eat meat around me, I don't ask them why they're not vegetarians, or why they eat animals. Here you are though.. Asking why we're vegetarians? LOL The irony.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ghoklebutter
[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]Some people are vegetarian/vegan for the sake of being healthy. Others are vegetarian/vegan for ethical reasons, like not wanting to support animal cruelty (which could mean either killing itself or simply unethical practices in the meat industry).BossPerson
you've gone full circle with your avatar. just like aljosa and praline.

Great minds think alike.
Matthew-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Matthew-first
Member since 2005 • 3318 Posts

Some people are vegetarian/vegan for the sake of being healthy. Others are vegetarian/vegan for ethical reasons, like not wanting to support animal cruelty (which could mean either killing itself or simply unethical practices in the meat industry).ghoklebutter

It's healthier to eat proteins and build muscles!
WAAH!
http://www.hdwallpapersarena.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/hulk_general_desktop_1440x900_wallpaper-83992.jpg

But seriously...
I think that's just because they don't accept slaughtering all these animals...

But that's life unfortunetely...
Tigers eat meat
Spiders eat flies
Human eat everything that moves. :D

Avatar image for CycleOfViolence
CycleOfViolence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CycleOfViolence
Member since 2011 • 2813 Posts

I'm sure they have their reasons.

Matthew-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Matthew-first

[QUOTE="metroidfood"]

SystemsGO

I agree with this. People like you, for no one reason like to bring things like vegetarians to the forefront and bash them because they feel inadequate about something in their own lives. Perhaps you're overweight, and it bothers you for that reason? Then again, I'm not here to find out your lifestyle, or complain about it.

As a vegetarian I can tell you that myself personally, I never even mention the fact that I am a vegetarian unless a meat product is offered to me, in which case I politely say "No thank you, I'm vegetarian", and move on with my life. I am not an advocate for Vegetarians, and I don't care that others are, or aren't vegetarian. There are few who do, just like with any subculture, be it religion, or meat eaters alike. Everyone brags about something, and insists you try it or you're not socially acceptable in their eyes. If that's the case write those people off like I have. I'm also not religion but Christians insist on coming to my doorstep to tell me why I need to be saved. If a christian finds out I'm not religious they insist on being rude, and claiming I'll go to hell, etc..

One fact that I can give to you as a vegetarian is than when others find out you're a vegetarian you receive more harassment than you would for anything else. People will start eating their lunch meat sandwiches and ask you why you don't eat it, because it's soo good, even though you've already explained it to them. People tell you "I'm going to make you eat meat, you're going to go out to eat me and we're going to eat meat", or "You're weird, why don't you eat meat?". It's the same thing over and over again.

If you must know why I'm a vegetarian, before you ask I'll go ahead and tell you. It's not because I am disgusted by the fact that I'm eating an animal, or because of animal rights(I find animal rights annoying), but it's because I do not like meat, plain and simple. I've been this way since child hood. My parents have sent me to psychiatrists, hypnotists etc, trying to correct the issue. When really, I just don't have the taste required for meat. It makes me gag, it makes me sick. I don't care if others eat meat around me, I don't ask them why they're not vegetarians, or why they eat animals. Here you are though.. Asking why we're vegetarians? LOL The irony.

You talk a lot. :D

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Because they've been led to believe that meat is unhealthy. Which is only true if you're getting terrible grade, GMO meat.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ghoklebutter

It's healthier to eat proteins and build muscles!
WAAH!

*Hulk*

But seriously...
I think that's just because they don't accept slaughtering all these animals...

Matthew-first

I said that because most vegetarians (as well as vegans) I know are vegetarian/vegan only for health reasons. My mom, for instance, has nothing against eating meat in principle, but she herself doesn't want to eat meat because she thinks the consequences outweight the benefits. That isn't really an unreasonable stance, though, because meat consumption is associated with heart disease, colon cancer, and some other nasty health problems. Lack of protein isn't a problem as protein can be found in many legumes, certain vegetables, etc. And if you're vegetarian, then you have protein from non-meat animal products like eggs.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

in my experience with the few I can actually stand to be around, it is for a variety of reasons, most not related to the food.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#20 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Vegans are just better than everyone else. Which is pretty much the impression I've gotten from almost every one I've met. Eating healthy requires some thought, regardless of a person's diet. Vegetarianism is not inherently healthier than a regular omnivore diet, it's just that those people have to pay so much more attention to what they eat. The average meat eater just gobbles up whatever, whenever, and probably never reads ingredients or nutrition information.
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jebus213
[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]Vegans are just better than everyone else. Which is pretty much the impression I've gotten from almost every one I've met.

That's what I'm talking about^.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ghoklebutter

[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]Vegans are just better than everyone else. Which is pretty much the impression I've gotten from almost every one I've met.Jebus213

Fortunately, I've never had the displeasure of meeting an arrogant vegan. In fact, most of the ones I've met are cool with me eating meat.

SystemsGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SystemsGO

Because they've been led to believe that meat is unhealthy. Which is only true if you're getting terrible grade, GMO meat.

the_bi99man

I'm sure this is everyones reason for being vegetarian. Lulz, you couldn't be more ignorant. If you read my post you can see at least one perfect valid alternative by not eating meat. Some people simply do not like the taste of meat, and can not acquire the taste for it. Others are vegetarian because their religious preference, for example Hindu's are vegetarian. Others are vegetarian for ethical reasons. Others do not like the slaughtering of animals, or are upset about animal rights.

Also, I think if a lot of you "meat-eaters" spent any real time in a meat processing plant you would reconsider your pledge to eat meat forever. It's really quite disgusting and inhumane. Not because of what's happening to the animals, but because of the conditions of these places are down right terrible. It's a wonder that more people don't get food poisoning from the meat products they consume, like salmonella, or ecoli. :P

SystemsGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SystemsGO

[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]Vegans are just better than everyone else. Which is pretty much the impression I've gotten from almost every one I've met.Jebus213

How simple minded of both of you. Do you also feel this way about your religious preference and it's advocates? The people who insist there is only one god and only one way of worship? If so, you're extremely naive.

You should probably consider growing up. It might do you some good, and quit wasting your time caring about such unimportant trivial things in life. Go with the flow of things, and mind your business.

Matthew-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Matthew-first

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

SystemsGO

I'm sure this is everyones reason for being vegetarian. Lulz, you couldn't be more ignorant. If you read my post you can see at least one perfect valid alternative by not eating meat. Some people simply do not like the taste of meat, and can not acquire the taste for it. Others are vegetarian because their religious preference, for example Hindu's are vegetarian. Others are vegetarian for ethical reasons. Others do not like the slaughtering of animals, or are upset about animal rights.

Also, I think if a lot of you "meat-eaters" spent any real time in a meat processing plant you would reconsider your pledge to eat meat forever. It's really quite disgusting and inhumane. Not because of what's happening to the animals, but because of the conditions of these places are down right terrible. It's a wonder that more people don't get food poisoning from the meat products they consume, like salmonella, or ecoli. :P

Oh the talkative... :P

"Some people simply do not like the taste of meat, "
These are some mental issues young man... you must have had some bad experiences while u were younger...
Becoz people... Eat meat for CENTURIES... That's just my opinion so don't get offenced... :)

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ghoklebutter
Also, I think if a lot of you "meat-eaters" spent any real time in a meat processing plant you would reconsider your pledge to eat meat forever.SystemsGO
Either that, or read about how processed meat is made. And I'm saying that as a meat-eater.
Matthew-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Matthew-first

[QUOTE="SystemsGO"]Also, I think if a lot of you "meat-eaters" spent any real time in a meat processing plant you would reconsider your pledge to eat meat forever.ghoklebutter
Either that, or read about how processed meat is made. And I'm saying that as a meat-eater.

I'm a cook and I buy my precious meat from a butcher... oh my country is so healthy you can't believe it untill you're here..
Some charts even said my country in Europe is on the FIRST place to eat the most vegetables... haha :D

Unfortunetely... the economy isn't so great >_>'

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ghoklebutter

[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"][QUOTE="SystemsGO"]Also, I think if a lot of you "meat-eaters" spent any real time in a meat processing plant you would reconsider your pledge to eat meat forever.Matthew-first

I'm a cook and I buy my precious meat from a butcher... oh my country is so healthy you can't believe it untill you're here..
Some charts even said my country in Europe is on the FIRST place to eat the most vegetables... haha :D

Unfortunetely... the economy isn't so great >_>'

Yeah, I can see how unprocessed meat straight from a butcher shop is way healthier.
MudoSkills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MudoSkills
Member since 2012 • 362 Posts
I work with a vegan, she smokes like a chimney, so it's obviously not a health thing for her. She complains so much about how she misses non-vegan food - she made vegan cake once, it was the most bland thing I have ever eaten.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ghoklebutter

I work with a vegan, she smokes like a chimney, so it's obviously not a health thing for her. She complains so much about how she misses non-vegan food - she made vegan cake once, it was the most bland thing I have ever eaten.MudoSkills
Badly made vegan cake is just as delicious as denim. However, you'd be surprised by how good they can be. I had a vegan cake that wasn't even cooked, and I loved it. It wasn't bland at all. My sister also makes this vegan ice cream that tastes lovely despite not having any dairy whatsoever. Really, it just depends on how you make these things.

SystemsGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SystemsGO

[QUOTE="MudoSkills"]I work with a vegan, she smokes like a chimney, so it's obviously not a health thing for her. She complains so much about how she misses non-vegan food - she made vegan cake once, it was the most bland thing I have ever eaten.ghoklebutter

Badly made vegan cake is just as delicious as denim. However, you'd be surprised by how good they can be. I had a vegan cake that wasn't even cooked, and I loved it. It wasn't bland at all. My sister also makes this vegan ice cream that tastes lovely despite not having any dairy whatsoever. Really, it just depends on how you make these things.

I wonder if she's ever considered eating meat again, not any other non-vegan alternative food choice? It's obviously not for her, and she obviously can't cook. LOL

SystemsGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SystemsGO

[QUOTE="SystemsGO"]

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

Matthew-first

These are some mental issues young man... you must have had some bad experiences while u were younger...
Becoz people... Eat meat for CENTURIES... That's just my opinion so don't get offenced... :)

This is what I'm talking about. The harassment, the ridicule and the outright rudeness. There isn't anything wrong with me mentally, there might however be something wrong with your mental capacity. Mine remains intact though. Thanks for caring, though. ^_^

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jebus213

[QUOTE="Jebus213"][QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]Vegans are just better than everyone else. Which is pretty much the impression I've gotten from almost every one I've met.SystemsGO

How simple minded of both of you. Do you also feel this way about your religious preference and it's advocates? The people who insist there is only one god and only one way of worship? If so, you're extremely naive.

You should probably consider growing up. It might do you some good, and quit wasting your time caring about such unimportant trivial things in life. Go with the flow of things, and mind your business.

So hating people who think they're better then me for not eating meat is wrong? I'm an atheist BTW.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

My sister also makes this vegan ice cream that tastes lovely despite not having any dairy whatsoever. Really, it just depends on how you make these things.

ghoklebutter

Cream = Dairy.
You cannot have dairy free cream.

Might as well eat a snowcone.

Humans by nature eat meat, there's no way im subjecting myself to the science experiement that is fermented soy.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

I love how Vegans eat food that is 99% likely to have been grown with a form of product that comes from a living animal. Anyway I worked as a chef for 7 years and Vegans and Vegetarians where the most annoying customers.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
Maybe people join PETA and/or the watch some of those videos on YouTube about slaughterhouses.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ghoklebutter
\

[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]My sister also makes this vegan ice cream that tastes lovely despite not having any dairy whatsoever. Really, it just depends on how you make these things.

Nibroc420

Cream = Dairy.

Humans by nature eat meat, there's no way im subjecting myself to the science experiement that is fermented soy.

She uses almond milk.
zenogandia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 zenogandia
Member since 2012 • 861 Posts

Have you ever seen me on this forum pushing my vegetarian beliefs on anyone? That's overgeneralizing. I'm a vegetarian because I believe animals shouldn't be killed and eaten for meat, but that's my personal belief. I don't push it at anyone, I don't discuss it.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Nibroc420
\[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]My sister also makes this vegan ice cream that tastes lovely despite not having any dairy whatsoever. Really, it just depends on how you make these things.

ghoklebutter

Cream = Dairy.

She uses almond milk.

So it's ice milk. If you can even consider it milk.
trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

- Don't like the idea of killing animals
- Don't like the ethical treatment of animals
- Don't like the idea of how we produce meat in factories, ie they would be ok with it if it were hunted
- Don't like the idea of eating something that was alive
- Don't like the taste
- Alternate healthly eating life style. e.g the nutrition we get from meat is unnecessary if we can get it from a pill

These are some off the top of my head.

zenogandia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 zenogandia
Member since 2012 • 861 Posts

- Don't like the idea of killing animals
- Don't like the ethical treatment of animals
- Don't like the idea of how we produce meat in factories, ie they would be ok with it if it were hunted
- Don't like the idea of eating something that was alive
- Don't like the taste
- Alternate healthly eating life style. e.g the nutrition we get from meat is unnecessary if we can get it from a pill

These are some off the top of my head.

trugs26

Thanks you went into detail the reason why I'm a vegetarian. :) I do understand op. Just like religious fanatics, vegan fanatics can annoy people. Personally as a vegetarian, I simply don't push my belief on people. I don't even discuss it, though obviously people ask all the time "You're not going to eat that meat?" - "No I don't eat meat."

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

I don't know, and I don't care. Why do you, OP?

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts
I am a vegetarian because there is no good reason to make so many animals suffer so much when we could just eat plant products.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 coolbeans90

there is no good reasonLaihendi

There most certainly are good reasons.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Nibroc420
I am a vegetarian because there is no good reason to make so many animals suffer so much when we could just eat plant products.Laihendi
It's natural for humans to hunt animals and eat them for food. Suffering is a part of nature, if you cannot accept nature and life, you've got more problems than your diet.
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Laihendi

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]there is no good reasoncoolbeans90

You cut off the second part of my post which established the context in which there is no good reason. Obviously in certain contexts it is reasonable to eat meat.
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Laihendi
[QUOTE="Laihendi"]I am a vegetarian because there is no good reason to make so many animals suffer so much when we could just eat plant products.Nibroc420
It's natural for humans to hunt animals and eat them for food. Suffering is a part of nature, if you cannot accept nature and life, you've got more problems than your diet.

Suffering being natural is no reason to needlessly inflict it upon others. If you really believed that then you would not object to someone torturing you, because suffering is natural.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]there is no good reasonLaihendi

You cut off the second part of my post which established the context in which there is no good reason. Obviously in certain contexts it is reasonable to eat meat.

My statements stands even within the context.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Laihendi

[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

coolbeans90

My statements stands even within the context.

What good reason is there to make an animal suffer and die to provide you with a meal when you could just as easily eat something vegetarian?
Matthew-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Matthew-first

[QUOTE="Matthew-first"]

[QUOTE="SystemsGO"]

SystemsGO

This is what I'm talking about. The harassment, the ridicule and the outright rudeness. There isn't anything wrong with me mentally, there might however be something wrong with your mental capacity. Mine remains intact though. Thanks for caring, though. ^_^

I am completely 100% normal healthy meat eating human :D
Vegetarians are just a minority. But do whatever you want... I'm just saying Eating meat is the most normal thing in the world. :)

EVEN.

"Fragments of a 1.5-million-year-old skull from a child recently found in Tanzania suggest early hominids weren't just occasional carnivores but regular meat eaters, researchers say.

The finding helps build the case that meat-eating helped the human lineage evolve large brains, scientists added.

"I know this will sound awful to vegetarians, but meat made us human," said researcher Manuel Domínguez-Rodrigo, an archaeologist at Complutense University in Madrid.

http://www.livescience.com/23671-eating-meat-made-us-human.html

heard about that last year.

By not eating meat people would deevolve according to the newest science. :P

You pick.