Why do naps make me feel worse than I do before taken them?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Lobster_Ear (5431 posts) -
So I got home from work today and I was really tired so I took a nap. When I woke up my entire body feels weaker and I just feel weird...This happens every time I take a short nap. Does this happen to any of you?
#2 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58095 posts) -
I don't take naps, but if I wake up an hour before I need to, and go back to sleep, then it doesn't usually make a difference. I'd probably be better off waking up early and giving myself the chance to wake up properly.
#3 Posted by Devosion (6024 posts) -
I took a nap when I went home for lunch last night and I felt like a million bucks afterward. Then again I can wake up when I want to without much of a problem.
#4 Posted by Lobster_Ear (5431 posts) -
I don't take naps, but if I wake up an hour before I need to, and go back to sleep, then it doesn't usually make a difference. I'd probably be better off waking up early and giving myself the chance to wake up properly.SolidSnake35
Yeah, I usually don't take naps, but every once in awhile it just happens...but I hate taken them because I know I am going to wake up feeling worse...
#5 Posted by double_decker (145798 posts) -
I don't take naps, but if I wake up an hour before I need to, and go back to sleep, then it doesn't usually make a difference. I'd probably be better off waking up early and giving myself the chance to wake up properly.SolidSnake35
About the same here, I function better if I sleep 4 hours and then wake up rather than waking up after 4 hours and then making myself go back to sleep. If I wake up and I feel good then I stay up, but if I wake up because I have to go to the bathroom or get woken up by a noise then I go back to sleep. I don't take alot of naps though, but when I do it's usually for atleast a half hour and I usually feel fine after them
#6 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26068 posts) -
You always fell like crap when you wak up after not getting a good nights slesp. Well when yeah take a nap its for a coupls minutes to acoulpe hours, so when you wake up its like being woke up from sleeping at night, or waking up after not getting enough sleep.
#7 Posted by Varese_basic (6785 posts) -
If you have anxiety you will get bad sleep.
#8 Posted by Lobster_Ear (5431 posts) -
If you have anxiety you will get bad sleep.Varese_basic
I sleep just fine. It's the naps that get me...
#9 Posted by esb617 (2464 posts) -
I hate naps because when I wake up I feel like I have to vomit cause my mouth tastes so bad I just wanna swallow acid
#10 Posted by Lobster_Ear (5431 posts) -
I hate naps because when I wake up I feel like I have to vomit cause my mouth tastes so bad I just wanna swallow acidesb617
Yeah, I get that too. I can have a whole nights worth of sleep and my mouth feels fine, but a 30 minute nap and my mouth feels and tastes nasty, and I also feel all sweaty even if I'm not sweaty.
#11 Posted by Sole6 (167 posts) -
[QUOTE="esb617"]I hate naps because when I wake up I feel like I have to vomit cause my mouth tastes so bad I just wanna swallow acidLobster_Ear
Yeah, I get that too. I can have a whole nights worth of sleep and my mouth feels fine, but a 30 minute nap and my mouth feels and tastes nasty, and I also feel all sweaty even if I'm not sweaty.

Have the exact same problem. And yet everyone I know swears by naps. Have always hated them.
#12 Posted by WestSideAzn (2218 posts) -
Naps... I don't know there should be a set amount of time to take em... 1 hour to 2 hours is good enough.. anything beyond that is considered sleep.
#13 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14404 posts) -
So I got home from work today and I was really tired so I took a nap. When I woke up my entire body feels weaker and I just feel weird...This happens every time I take a short nap. Does this happen to any of you?Lobster_Ear
Might be where you decide to take a nap ex. sleeping on a couch as opposed to a bed.
#14 Posted by Lobster_Ear (5431 posts) -
[QUOTE="Lobster_Ear"]So I got home from work today and I was really tired so I took a nap. When I woke up my entire body feels weaker and I just feel weird...This happens every time I take a short nap. Does this happen to any of you?Hallenbeck77
Might be where you decide to take a nap ex. sleeping on a couch as opposed to a bed.

I was on my bed:|
#15 Posted by esb617 (2464 posts) -
[QUOTE="Hallenbeck77"][QUOTE="Lobster_Ear"]So I got home from work today and I was really tired so I took a nap. When I woke up my entire body feels weaker and I just feel weird...This happens every time I take a short nap. Does this happen to any of you?Lobster_Ear

I was on your bed too:oops:
#16 Posted by Sole6 (167 posts) -
[QUOTE="Lobster_Ear"][QUOTE="Hallenbeck77"][QUOTE="Lobster_Ear"]So I got home from work today and I was really tired so I took a nap. When I woke up my entire body feels weaker and I just feel weird...This happens every time I take a short nap. Does this happen to any of you?esb617

That explains why I didn't sleep well last night. :(
#17 Posted by esb617 (2464 posts) -
[QUOTE="esb617"][QUOTE="Lobster_Ear"][QUOTE="Hallenbeck77"][QUOTE="Lobster_Ear"]So I got home from work today and I was really tired so I took a nap. When I woke up my entire body feels weaker and I just feel weird...This happens every time I take a short nap. Does this happen to any of you?Sole6

That explains why I didn't sleep well last night. :(

Really? It should have put you right to sleep..in a good way of course
#18 Posted by Canuck3000 (40562 posts) -
They do that to me sometimes too...
#19 Posted by Sole6 (167 posts) -
Nothing a little spooning can't fix.... Perhaps thats what my naps need... teh spoon.
#20 Posted by kitty (114611 posts) -
it happens occasionally
#21 Posted by eyeno0 (46 posts) -
I read this somewhere.  If you sleep for 20 minutes, you will wake up feeling better.  If you sleep longer, you start to cycle into deeper sleep and will feel terrible when you wake up (unless you're sleeping for long enough to go through all of the stages of sleep). 
#22 Posted by sonicare (53451 posts) -
Sometimes, but that's because your body is slowing down.  You still should take the nap.
#23 Posted by Bruin4ev3r1520 (8843 posts) -
Do NOT take short naps! If youre going to take a nap, I say you have to be in bed for 1 1/2 hours minimum. Anything less than that and I feel the same way. It happens to my friends too. We call them "Half-naps." :D Im not kidding either.
#24 Posted by Bruin4ev3r1520 (8843 posts) -
I read this somewhere. If you sleep for 20 minutes, you will wake up feeling better. If you sleep longer, you start to cycle into deeper sleep and will feel terrible when you wake up (unless you're sleeping for long enough to go through all of the stages of sleep). eyeno0
Weird. If i sleep for 20 minutes i feel like crap....
#25 Posted by ufopuller (6042 posts) -
Negative endophines
#26 Posted by xXBuffJeffXx (5913 posts) -
I think it has something to do with your sleeping cycles. If your body is not used to a nap during the day then it really won't help you. I've noticed that when I change my sleeping schedule even slightly my body reacts to it.
#27 Posted by Bourbons3 (24248 posts) -
I usually feel better after a nap :oops: