Why do most people believe in heaven?

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

crazyguy111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By crazyguy111
Member since 2013 • 406 Posts

I don't believe in such a place. I don't see why most people in the world believe in some eternal paradise where you can never get sick, die, get badly hurt etc. you can never gain weight and will be eternally happy. There is not a shred of evidence of such a place. It would also get boring and depressing after a while. Lol. Most people believe that you can also fly and transport to where ever you want to in heaven, and meet anyone you want to. Some believe that the streets are paved with gold. Such a place seems so illogical and fairy tail like. It seems like something ripped right off a children's fairy tale book. It makes no sense to me. How can so many people (many whom are intelligent) believe that they will go to a place like this in 100 or so years??? It makes no sense.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#2 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Let people believe whatever they want to believe. As for me, I hope there is no such place. Once I'm done living I want to be just that, done. Paradise seems incredibly boring.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Because they can and because they want to.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

Because death is scary, and the thought that once you die you go to a magical place where you will see all of your loved ones again for eternity is more comforting than the prospect of just being dead. It's also been used as a justification for being moral/doing good things in life...do good now...eternal rewards later. I don't believe in it myself, though.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#5 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

Because they can, and I guess it makes some people feel better about dying or gives others purpose in their lives that they can't give themselves. I think it's mostly pretty sad, but I would never have anything against somebody who respectfully practices their religion.

But most people I know don't believe.

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 1

#6 CyberLips
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

Because they need to believe that there is a higher purpose and that life doesn't just end after death.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

@Blueresident87: I don't know anyone who admits at least they don't believe in heaven even if they are not actively going to church.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

We need to create heaven on earth

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Master_Live
Loading Video...

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#10 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Fear of Death basically, its hard to accept we just wont exist when we die, very likely it will be similar to how it was before you were born.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38662 Posts

we live our whole lives in a spectacularly magical place and yet we hope to go somewhere "better" when we die..

you can see it happening when people get to heaven:

"this is heaven huh? this sucks. i can't wait to die to go to a better place!"

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Xeno_ghost
Member since 2014 • 990 Posts

@korvus: "Once I'm done living I want to be just that, done"

So if you had the chance you wouldn't want to learn the truth about the mysteries of the world and universe, you would rather just be nothing?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Fear of the unknown, hope for something better, "tradition".

Lots of people have trouble accepting that the universe wasn't formed with them in mind, doesn't care that they exist, and will continue to exist long after the molecules that made them up have passed through a million more generations of people, life or inanimate material and ultimately either descend into absolute non-existence (heat death of the universe) or crushed back into pure energy (big crunch).

In fact, I personally find it life-affirming and incredibly awe-inspiring that I am made of molecules that were once part of a star, and that the universe does not care about my existence. It allows me to make something of my life without the fear of being in control of some supernatural asshole teenager playing with his ant farm and a magnifying glass.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11124 Posts

@Renevent42 said:

Because death is scary, and the thought that once you die you go to a magical place where you will see all of your loved ones again for eternity is more comforting than the prospect of just being dead. It's also been used as a justification for being moral/doing good things in life...do good now...eternal rewards later. I don't believe in it myself, though.

This sums it up pretty good. I, for one, would prefer heaven than eternal nothingness.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9384 Posts

I believe I experience a bit of heaven everyday. A nice juicy steak. A beautiful sunset. The curve of a woman's thigh or her sweet smile. In an elegant mathematical proof or efficient code.

Not an exclusive afterlife club filled with a bunch of do-goody Flanders types. When I die I want to stay here and return to the Earth and let my atoms seep into the ground and become parts of other things.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@CyberLips: Yeah, I think you're right but I don't really understand it. If people see this life was devoid of purpose what purpose will they find somewhere else...even if you get there...then what? What's their purpose now?

@xeno_ghost: If the choice is between knowing the mysteries of the universe and then being forced to exist forever and turn to nothing without knowing said mysteries I'd choose the latter, yes. Now if I could learn the mysteries and THEN turn to nothing, that would be pretty sweet =D

@comp_atkins: It's unfortunate, I agree. Ignore the good you have today, dream about you might see tomorrow =/\

@pyro1245: That was almost poetic ;)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@magicalclick: You want to dream about gay hentai before you die? That's original, for sure =)

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#19 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Most people don't like the idea that when they die they stop being altogether. It makes sense if you take more than five seconds to think about it. Whether or not you believe in such a place is moot, because to many people the idea of heaven is a comfort to make up for the fact that they get a death sentence the day they're born. It's really not a bad thing to believe in as long as you don't start imposing your views on others and stuff (which most rational people don't do).

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Why do you care?

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21  Edited By tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21647 Posts

@korvus said:

Let people believe whatever they want to believe. As for me, I hope there is no such place. Once I'm done living I want to be just that, done. Paradise seems incredibly boring.

That particular paradise does seem boring and stressful. If God is anything that's portrayed in the bible, heaven seems closer to hell to me. For example, if the commandments are based off laws that are in heaven, to me, I know I wouldn't be happy. The current law system is already hard to deal with, now having a all-mighty being hanging over my shoulder to make sure I follow his rules seems less appealing. It would be like giving the government unlimited power where they take away your privacy by putting camera's and microphones in every location, including your house. Also, if I'm not mistaken, materilstic or man made things don't go to heaven with you. So everything that entertained you in this life such as computers, phones, internet. basketballs, etc. won't be in heaven....

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 foxhound_fox

@johnd13 said:

This sums it up pretty good. I, for one, would prefer heaven than eternal nothingness.

Why? What is appealing about being conscious for an infinite length of time? I can see the appeal of being conscious for an incredibly long period of time (i.e. like an elf), but not infinite.

Avatar image for Farty_Fartsalot
Farty_Fartsalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Farty_Fartsalot
Member since 2013 • 192 Posts

Superstitious & avoiding their fear of dying, I guess.

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By CyberLips
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

@korvus: The purpose is to be good and go to heaven, i don't know what they think will happen after that.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#26 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

@AutoPilotOn said:

@Blueresident87: I don't know anyone who admits at least they don't believe in heaven even if they are not actively going to church.

I'm not 100% what you are saying, but I think you're saying you don't know anybody who would admit to a disbelief in heaven?

So what? People tend to surround themselves with others of like beliefs, that is not surprising.

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts

Because their life sucks.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

because if theres no heaven, whats the point of it all?

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

Because of Indoctrination?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 foxhound_fox

@ps4hasnogames said:

To live life to it's fullest without the anticipation of reward or fear of punishment.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

@crazyguy111 said:

Why do most people believe in heaven?

Why not?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@tocool340: Yep, sounds terrible.

@CyberLips: I guess some people decide to only worry about one thing at a time *shrugs* Whatever works for them, I guess.

@foxhound_fox said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

To live life to it's fullest without the anticipation of reward or fear of punishment.

My view exactly =)

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11124 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@johnd13 said:

Why? What is appealing about being conscious for an infinite length of time? I can see the appeal of being conscious for an incredibly long period of time (i.e. like an elf), but not infinite.

It's just a matter of preference. Living forever > seizing to exist forever IMO. Besides, ascending to heaven to share immortality with your loved ones and God would probably mean also ascending to a higher form of existence, one that is not bound by plain feelings of boredom. One that could embrace immortality in a way that we, now, cannot even comprehend. Of course that's just speculating. :P

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@korvus said:

@tocool340: Yep, sounds terrible.

@CyberLips: I guess some people decide to only worry about one thing at a time *shrugs* Whatever works for them, I guess.

@foxhound_fox said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

My view exactly =)

i mean if theres no heaven then why doesn't everyone just go around robbing banks and killing people who look at us the wrong way

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178808 Posts

LOL the insecurity flows....

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#36 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

Because we don't know what happens after death without dying first.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

This is where faith comes into it. I believe there is a heaven and hell based on what i believe and what has happened in my life.

I can understand your point of view but i don't agree with it in the slightest because some truly miraculous things have happened to me that has no explanation.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@ps4hasnogames said:

i mean if theres no heaven then why doesn't everyone just go around robbing banks and killing people who look at us the wrong way

Because not everyone is a violent psychopath with extreme disregard for rules and other people? Is the prospect of heaven the only reason why you don't go on a killing spree?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Master_Live

@Netret0120 said:

because some truly miraculous things have happened to me that has no explanation.

Like what?

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

Because they want to, most probably out of fear... I'm sure several thousand years from now people will look at todays versions of gods and see them the same we see greek gods.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Did the Neanderthals go to heaven? Did the dinosaurs go to heaven? Do aliens go to heaven? What do you do in heaven? Do you get to play video games in heaven? If so who makes them and what console do you play on? Is it a ghost console that you can see through? How do you hold the controller with your ghost hands? Did 3DO go to heaven? I hope you don't have to run away from Neanderthals that are running away from dinosaurs and then run into an alien that wants to probe your butt cause if so I'd rather not thanks.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

Anyone that thinks heaven is the justification for not doing these things is truly deranged and should be feared by all.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

I believe that heaven sux.. it's freaking boring up there. floating around doing what?!

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 foxhound_fox

@ps4hasnogames said:

Because morality isn't tied to fear of being punished for your actions. It's tied to one's conscience and empathy towards other people. Only the morally inept believe that a lack of belief in some fairy tale prevents them from doing bad things. They are by definition, the morally defunct.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#45 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58640 Posts

@Master_Live said:

Because they can and because they want to.

^

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

heaven is so white bread it hurts my soul.

pissing around in a mansion in a pearly gated community for eternity? really?

why anyone would choose that over valhalla or the happy hunting grounds is beyond me.

are you so greedy and shallow that physical comfort and wealth is you idea of paradise?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178808 Posts

@Riverwolf007 said:

heaven is so white bread it hurts my soul.

pissing around in a mansion in a pearly gated community for eternity? really?

why anyone would choose that over valhalla or the happy hunting grounds is beyond me.

are you so greedy and shallow that physical comfort and wealth is you idea of paradise?

Uh that is your idea of heaven....I don't know anyone else that thinks that.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17637 Posts

Really a question? It's not hard at all to understand why so many believe in the concept of Heaven. It serves three fundamental needs:

1) it assures continued existence, and comforts in death.

2) it assures the cessation of all suffering for eternity, in addition to giving the promise of reward. Corollary, it assures the punishment of others who are evil in Hell.

3) it assures reconnecting with those you love.

Frankly, I find it a highly juvenile and laughable belief. The adult's Santa Claus.....nothing more than wishful thinking. But if people need it and it helps, more power to them.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

@Master_Live:

If you really want to know then PM me because I'm definitely not going to post it here.

The answers I see in this thread are amusing:-P Why can't people accept that some people believe in a God and some don't.

Making fun of heaven is just immature. I wouldn't make fun of an athiest. He/She must have their reasons.