Why do most people believe in heaven?

• 94 results
#1 Edited by crazyguy111 (201 posts) -

I don't believe in such a place. I don't see why most people in the world believe in some eternal paradise where you can never get sick, die, get badly hurt etc. you can never gain weight and will be eternally happy. There is not a shred of evidence of such a place. It would also get boring and depressing after a while. Lol. Most people believe that you can also fly and transport to where ever you want to in heaven, and meet anyone you want to. Some believe that the streets are paved with gold. Such a place seems so illogical and fairy tail like. It seems like something ripped right off a children's fairy tale book. It makes no sense to me. How can so many people (many whom are intelligent) believe that they will go to a place like this in 100 or so years??? It makes no sense.

#2 Posted by Korvus (3225 posts) -

Let people believe whatever they want to believe. As for me, I hope there is no such place. Once I'm done living I want to be just that, done. Paradise seems incredibly boring.

#3 Posted by Master_Live (14195 posts) -

Because they can and because they want to.

#4 Edited by Renevent42 (5132 posts) -

Because death is scary, and the thought that once you die you go to a magical place where you will see all of your loved ones again for eternity is more comforting than the prospect of just being dead. It's also been used as a justification for being moral/doing good things in life...do good now...eternal rewards later. I don't believe in it myself, though.

#5 Posted by Blueresident87 (5336 posts) -

Because they can, and I guess it makes some people feel better about dying or gives others purpose in their lives that they can't give themselves. I think it's mostly pretty sad, but I would never have anything against somebody who respectfully practices their religion.

But most people I know don't believe.

#6 Posted by CyberLips (1821 posts) -

Because they need to believe that there is a higher purpose and that life doesn't just end after death.

#7 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8220 posts) -

@Blueresident87: I don't know anyone who admits at least they don't believe in heaven even if they are not actively going to church.

#8 Posted by playmynutz (5981 posts) -

We need to create heaven on earth

#9 Posted by Master_Live (14195 posts) -

#10 Posted by thehig1 (1401 posts) -

Fear of Death basically, its hard to accept we just wont exist when we die, very likely it will be similar to how it was before you were born.

#11 Edited by comp_atkins (31273 posts) -

we live our whole lives in a spectacularly magical place and yet we hope to go somewhere "better" when we die..

you can see it happening when people get to heaven:

"this is heaven huh? this sucks. i can't wait to die to go to a better place!"

#12 Posted by Xeno_ghost (676 posts) -

@korvus: "Once I'm done living I want to be just that, done"

So if you had the chance you wouldn't want to learn the truth about the mysteries of the world and universe, you would rather just be nothing?

#13 Posted by foxhound_fox (87725 posts) -

Fear of the unknown, hope for something better, "tradition".

Lots of people have trouble accepting that the universe wasn't formed with them in mind, doesn't care that they exist, and will continue to exist long after the molecules that made them up have passed through a million more generations of people, life or inanimate material and ultimately either descend into absolute non-existence (heat death of the universe) or crushed back into pure energy (big crunch).

In fact, I personally find it life-affirming and incredibly awe-inspiring that I am made of molecules that were once part of a star, and that the universe does not care about my existence. It allows me to make something of my life without the fear of being in control of some supernatural asshole teenager playing with his ant farm and a magnifying glass.

#14 Edited by johnd13 (7994 posts) -

Because death is scary, and the thought that once you die you go to a magical place where you will see all of your loved ones again for eternity is more comforting than the prospect of just being dead. It's also been used as a justification for being moral/doing good things in life...do good now...eternal rewards later. I don't believe in it myself, though.

This sums it up pretty good. I, for one, would prefer heaven than eternal nothingness.

#15 Posted by pyro1245 (564 posts) -

I believe I experience a bit of heaven everyday. A nice juicy steak. A beautiful sunset. The curve of a woman's thigh or her sweet smile. In an elegant mathematical proof or efficient code.

Not an exclusive afterlife club filled with a bunch of do-goody Flanders types. When I die I want to stay here and return to the Earth and let my atoms seep into the ground and become parts of other things.

#16 Posted by Korvus (3225 posts) -

@CyberLips: Yeah, I think you're right but I don't really understand it. If people see this life was devoid of purpose what purpose will they find somewhere else...even if you get there...then what? What's their purpose now?

@xeno_ghost: If the choice is between knowing the mysteries of the universe and then being forced to exist forever and turn to nothing without knowing said mysteries I'd choose the latter, yes. Now if I could learn the mysteries and THEN turn to nothing, that would be pretty sweet =D

@comp_atkins: It's unfortunate, I agree. Ignore the good you have today, dream about you might see tomorrow =/\

@pyro1245: That was almost poetic ;)

#17 Posted by magicalclick (22449 posts) -

If I can dream whatever I want after death, I want a fantasy world filled with cute gay bears and tentacle monsters. And there are dungeons and tribes and me getting overpowered by them. :P It may not have happen, but, at least dying with such dream feels better than just poof, disappear.

#18 Posted by Korvus (3225 posts) -

@magicalclick: You want to dream about gay hentai before you die? That's original, for sure =)

#19 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16678 posts) -

Most people don't like the idea that when they die they stop being altogether. It makes sense if you take more than five seconds to think about it. Whether or not you believe in such a place is moot, because to many people the idea of heaven is a comfort to make up for the fact that they get a death sentence the day they're born. It's really not a bad thing to believe in as long as you don't start imposing your views on others and stuff (which most rational people don't do).

#20 Posted by lostrib (34611 posts) -

Why do you care?

#21 Edited by tocool340 (20487 posts) -

@korvus said:

Let people believe whatever they want to believe. As for me, I hope there is no such place. Once I'm done living I want to be just that, done. Paradise seems incredibly boring.

That particular paradise does seem boring and stressful. If God is anything that's portrayed in the bible, heaven seems closer to hell to me. For example, if the commandments are based off laws that are in heaven, to me, I know I wouldn't be happy. The current law system is already hard to deal with, now having a all-mighty being hanging over my shoulder to make sure I follow his rules seems less appealing. It would be like giving the government unlimited power where they take away your privacy by putting camera's and microphones in every location, including your house. Also, if I'm not mistaken, materilstic or man made things don't go to heaven with you. So everything that entertained you in this life such as computers, phones, internet. basketballs, etc. won't be in heaven....

#22 Posted by foxhound_fox (87725 posts) -

@johnd13 said:

This sums it up pretty good. I, for one, would prefer heaven than eternal nothingness.

Why? What is appealing about being conscious for an infinite length of time? I can see the appeal of being conscious for an incredibly long period of time (i.e. like an elf), but not infinite.

#23 Edited by Farty_Fartsalot (29 posts) -

Superstitious & avoiding their fear of dying, I guess.

#24 Edited by CyberLips (1821 posts) -

@korvus: The purpose is to be good and go to heaven, i don't know what they think will happen after that.

#25 Edited by Motokid6 (5275 posts) -

Heaven is too small. How boring... Honestly thought people need to get into astronomy. It's SO much more fulfilling then religion could ever hope to be. It can also really help you if your in a slum ( which apparently alot of people here are ).

#26 Posted by Blueresident87 (5336 posts) -

@Blueresident87: I don't know anyone who admits at least they don't believe in heaven even if they are not actively going to church.

I'm not 100% what you are saying, but I think you're saying you don't know anybody who would admit to a disbelief in heaven?

So what? People tend to surround themselves with others of like beliefs, that is not surprising.

#27 Posted by elkoldo (1011 posts) -

Because their life sucks.

#28 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (1393 posts) -

because if theres no heaven, whats the point of it all?

#29 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3400 posts) -

Because of Indoctrination?

#30 Posted by foxhound_fox (87725 posts) -

To live life to it's fullest without the anticipation of reward or fear of punishment.

#31 Posted by -ParaNormaN- (763 posts) -

Why do most people believe in heaven?

Why not?

#32 Posted by Korvus (3225 posts) -

@tocool340: Yep, sounds terrible.

@CyberLips: I guess some people decide to only worry about one thing at a time *shrugs* Whatever works for them, I guess.

@ps4hasnogames said:

To live life to it's fullest without the anticipation of reward or fear of punishment.

My view exactly =)

#33 Posted by johnd13 (7994 posts) -

@johnd13 said:

Why? What is appealing about being conscious for an infinite length of time? I can see the appeal of being conscious for an incredibly long period of time (i.e. like an elf), but not infinite.

It's just a matter of preference. Living forever > seizing to exist forever IMO. Besides, ascending to heaven to share immortality with your loved ones and God would probably mean also ascending to a higher form of existence, one that is not bound by plain feelings of boredom. One that could embrace immortality in a way that we, now, cannot even comprehend. Of course that's just speculating. :P

#34 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (1393 posts) -

@korvus said:

@tocool340: Yep, sounds terrible.

@CyberLips: I guess some people decide to only worry about one thing at a time *shrugs* Whatever works for them, I guess.

@foxhound_fox said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

My view exactly =)

i mean if theres no heaven then why doesn't everyone just go around robbing banks and killing people who look at us the wrong way

#35 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150355 posts) -

LOL the insecurity flows....

#36 Posted by Shadowchronicle (25977 posts) -

Because we don't know what happens after death without dying first.

#37 Posted by Netret0120 (2037 posts) -

This is where faith comes into it. I believe there is a heaven and hell based on what i believe and what has happened in my life.

I can understand your point of view but i don't agree with it in the slightest because some truly miraculous things have happened to me that has no explanation.

#38 Edited by Korvus (3225 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

i mean if theres no heaven then why doesn't everyone just go around robbing banks and killing people who look at us the wrong way

Because not everyone is a violent psychopath with extreme disregard for rules and other people? Is the prospect of heaven the only reason why you don't go on a killing spree?

#39 Posted by Master_Live (14195 posts) -

because some truly miraculous things have happened to me that has no explanation.

Like what?

#40 Posted by MuD3 (1218 posts) -

Because they want to, most probably out of fear... I'm sure several thousand years from now people will look at todays versions of gods and see them the same we see greek gods.

#41 Posted by PimpHand_Gamer (279 posts) -

Did the Neanderthals go to heaven? Did the dinosaurs go to heaven? Do aliens go to heaven? What do you do in heaven? Do you get to play video games in heaven? If so who makes them and what console do you play on? Is it a ghost console that you can see through? How do you hold the controller with your ghost hands? Did 3DO go to heaven? I hope you don't have to run away from Neanderthals that are running away from dinosaurs and then run into an alien that wants to probe your butt cause if so I'd rather not thanks.

#42 Posted by MuD3 (1218 posts) -
#43 Posted by Dogswithguns (10704 posts) -

I believe that heaven sux.. it's freaking boring up there. floating around doing what?!

#44 Posted by foxhound_fox (87725 posts) -

Because morality isn't tied to fear of being punished for your actions. It's tied to one's conscience and empathy towards other people. Only the morally inept believe that a lack of belief in some fairy tale prevents them from doing bad things. They are by definition, the morally defunct.

#45 Posted by uninspiredcup (7861 posts) -

Because they can and because they want to.

^

#46 Edited by Riverwolf007 (23532 posts) -

heaven is so white bread it hurts my soul.

pissing around in a mansion in a pearly gated community for eternity? really?

why anyone would choose that over valhalla or the happy hunting grounds is beyond me.

are you so greedy and shallow that physical comfort and wealth is you idea of paradise?

#47 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150355 posts) -

heaven is so white bread it hurts my soul.

pissing around in a mansion in a pearly gated community for eternity? really?

why anyone would choose that over valhalla or the happy hunting grounds is beyond me.

are you so greedy and shallow that physical comfort and wealth is you idea of paradise?

Uh that is your idea of heaven....I don't know anyone else that thinks that.

#48 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

This is where faith comes into it. I believe there is a heaven and hell based on what i believe and what has happened in my life.

I can understand your point of view but i don't agree with it in the slightest because some truly miraculous things have happened to me that has no explanation.

I'll stick with this^

#49 Edited by MirkoS77 (7168 posts) -

Really a question? It's not hard at all to understand why so many believe in the concept of Heaven. It serves three fundamental needs:

1) it assures continued existence, and comforts in death.

2) it assures the cessation of all suffering for eternity, in addition to giving the promise of reward. Corollary, it assures the punishment of others who are evil in Hell.

3) it assures reconnecting with those you love.

Frankly, I find it a highly juvenile and laughable belief. The adult's Santa Claus.....nothing more than wishful thinking. But if people need it and it helps, more power to them.

#50 Edited by Netret0120 (2037 posts) -

@Master_Live:

If you really want to know then PM me because I'm definitely not going to post it here.

The answers I see in this thread are amusing:-P Why can't people accept that some people believe in a God and some don't.

Making fun of heaven is just immature. I wouldn't make fun of an athiest. He/She must have their reasons.