why do canadians have so much pride?

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by JustSignedUp (1148 posts) -

whenever I see someone on reddit talk about anything canadian, all these canadians swarm all over it and begin making jokes and talk about being canadian. wow, can you calm down bro? can you quit talking about yourself for one second? jesus.

#2 Edited by speedfreak48t5p (6246 posts) -

Canada >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> America

#3 Posted by MonsieurX (28788 posts) -

Why don't you ask on reddit?

Also, 'Muricans are much,much worst.

#4 Edited by themajormayor (25649 posts) -
#5 Posted by ferrari2001 (16677 posts) -

What's not to be proud of? They have Justin Beiber, Rob Ford, Maple Syrup, Canadian Bacon (Ham), Hockey, and snow! What else does one need?

#6 Edited by Treflis (11388 posts) -

Doesn't everyone in the world tend to flock and express a varied degree of pride and/or defence about their country and being one of it's citizens whenever the related subject comes up?

#7 Edited by ferrari2001 (16677 posts) -

@Treflis said:

Doesn't everyone in the world tend to flock and express a varied degree of pride and/or defence about their country and being one of it's citizens whenever the related subject comes up?

Well, everyone but the French. You can only lose so many wars before your national pride is destroyed.

#8 Posted by foxhound_fox (86984 posts) -

Because we aren't afraid of who we are.

#9 Posted by GazaAli (22491 posts) -

Its because their only neighbor is the U.S and things tend to be compared or viewed in light of their equals or peers. Canada as a country gets to feel superior this way.

#10 Edited by Pirate700 (46462 posts) -

Whats wrong with them being proud of their country?

#11 Posted by Big_Pecks (5193 posts) -

Because we know when to be prideful.

#12 Posted by GreySeal9 (23944 posts) -

I see no evidence that Canadians any more prideful than the citizens of other countries.

#13 Posted by pspdseagle (3307 posts) -

Just like any other country, really. And Canada is a nice one.

#14 Posted by Master_Live (13672 posts) -

Because Canada is awesome.

#15 Edited by PsychoLemons (1921 posts) -

I can say the same for many other countries.

#16 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2537 posts) -

Said no one, ever.

#17 Edited by Shadow4020 (1940 posts) -

I don't see a problem with being proud of where you're from

#18 Posted by one_plum (6305 posts) -

Someone's not happy with the Olympics hockey outcome...

#19 Posted by shipster30 (16 posts) -

We have all of the great things that the USA has but have the luxury of enjoying traveling the world without needing to put another country's flag on our backpacks.

#20 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9299 posts) -

Why don't you ask on reddit?

Also, 'Muricans are much,much worst.

this.

and people tend to be proud of their countries they are from..... and they like to boast especially when there are large groups of them together...

Tell me Americans dont do this.

#21 Edited by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

We have all of the great things that the USA has but have the luxury of enjoying traveling the world without needing to put another country's flag on our backpacks.

I've met a few Americans on vacation, who've put Canadian flags on their bags just for the added safety.
Which sort of annoyed me, because it could ruin the image of Canadians...

As far as being proud of their country, aren't most citizens?
Aside from Japan, I can't think of a country with more Nationalism than the USA. Americans love 'merica. They love their gun rights, they love their "freedom".
Why are you hating on Canada?

#22 Posted by themajormayor (25649 posts) -
#23 Edited by Braun_Roid_Rage (704 posts) -
#24 Posted by XilePrincess (13104 posts) -

Yeah, people tend to be jealous of those that run shit *into the ground

*Fixed.

America has Disneyland and fried things that don't need frying, but:

-No free healthcare. People have to sell everything they own and take out loans and take another job if someone in their family gets badly hurt or sick. In Canada, we don't walk into a hospital hurt and walk out bankrupt.

-The US debt is the highest in the world. 17 trillion. Canada is at 1 trillion.

-America still doesn't have adequate access to affordable birth control and is still actually arguing over the abortion debate and trying to make laws against it. They underfund things like Planned Parenthood and don't give good sex ed, resulting in the highest teen pregnancy rate in the developed world.

- 9/11 was over a decade ago and people are still dying in the Middle East over it. Neither of the world wars lasted anywhere near this long.

-It's 2014 and only now is the US starting to sort of get moving on the gay rights thing. Canada has had legally recognized gay marriage since 2005, and recognized same-sex partnerships with the benefits of marriage since about 1999. GLBT people have no trouble adopting here.

-Gays allowed to serve in the Canadian military (which yes, I understand is a joke, but regardless) since 92. We don't have DADT.

-We can get along just fine without everybody owning a gun. You don't hear about kids getting shot for egging a car or simply walking through a gated community in Canada, do you? And when you do, it's rare. Not a new thing every week.

-We are HIGHLY multicultural, and yet no one religion or culture drives our laws and hinders our rights like it is in the US. The fact that a first world country actually bases their laws off of SOME people's religion in this day and age is mind boggling. Even if I don't follow your religion, I have to follow the laws of it that you pick and choose because those in power are 60+ Christian white men? WHAT?

These are all things the US could fix with ease (except the debt thing, I guess), they're just overrun by people in power who are ancient god-loving idiots who push their religion-fueled agendas on everyone. Eventually the new generation will push out the old ways just like was done back in the 60s with segregation.

#25 Edited by Kevlar101 (5977 posts) -

Only two kinds of people say that: Canadians, and Canadian Sympathizers.

:P jk. Canadians are no different than anybody else at being patriotic.

And, as many here have already said, Americans are far, far worse.

Hell, I live in the U.S. and i'm barely even patriotic at all. I think most American "Patriots" are prideful jackasses.

#26 Posted by SolidSnake35 (57956 posts) -

I have known one for a few months now. He is the most indifferent man alive.

#27 Edited by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2537 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Said no one, ever.

Lots of people say that.

Yeah, people tend to be jealous of those that run shit.

That was mostly a joke, of course. I have no qualms with Canada, it's just commonplace to give it a hard time.

#28 Posted by LJS9502_basic (149559 posts) -

@pspdseagle said:

Hell, I live in the U.S. and i'm barely even patriotic at all. I think most American "Patriots" are prideful jackasses.

Denounce one stereotype with another? Not all Americans are patriotic.

#29 Edited by airshocker (28347 posts) -

@XilePrincess said:

@Braun_Roid_Rage said:

*Fixed.

-No free healthcare. People have to sell everything they own and take out loans and take another job if someone in their family gets badly hurt or sick. In Canada, we don't walk into a hospital hurt and walk out bankrupt.

-America still doesn't have adequate access to affordable birth control and is still actually arguing over the abortion debate and trying to make laws against it. They underfund things like Planned Parenthood and don't give good sex ed, resulting in the highest teen pregnancy rate in the developed world.

- 9/11 was over a decade ago and people are still dying in the Middle East over it. Neither of the world wars lasted anywhere near this long.

-It's 2014 and only now is the US starting to sort of get moving on the gay rights thing. Canada has had legally recognized gay marriage since 2005, and recognized same-sex partnerships with the benefits of marriage since about 1999. GLBT people have no trouble adopting here.

-Gays allowed to serve in the Canadian military (which yes, I understand is a joke, but regardless) since 92. We don't have DADT.

-We can get along just fine without everybody owning a gun. You don't hear about kids getting shot for egging a car or simply walking through a gated community in Canada, do you? And when you do, it's rare. Not a new thing every week.

-We are HIGHLY multicultural, and yet no one religion or culture drives our laws and hinders our rights like it is in the US. The fact that a first world country actually bases their laws off of SOME people's religion in this day and age is mind boggling. Even if I don't follow your religion, I have to follow the laws of it that you pick and choose because those in power are 60+ Christian white men? WHAT?

These are all things the US could fix with ease (except the debt thing, I guess), they're just overrun by people in power who are ancient god-loving idiots who push their religion-fueled agendas on everyone. Eventually the new generation will push out the old ways just like was done back in the 60s with segregation.

1) We have plenty of access to contraceptives. You are equating certain states' battles over abortion to the entire country. Please stop doing that. Planned Parenthood was defunded for a number of legitimate reasons. You make it out to be like they're some sterling example of a humanitarian organization when they aren't.

2) Neither of the world wars involved a fanatical religious insurgency. You do realize that the world wars were fairly conventional, correct?

3) DADT doesn't exist in America anymore.

4) The reason we hear about things every day is because we have a for-profit media that benefits greatly by having as many viewers as possible. People get murdered in Canada every day. Just because you don't hear about it doesn't mean it isn't happening.

5) We are just as multicultural as you. I would even bet more so. What laws do religion force you to abide by? Blue laws? Most people enjoy having Sundays off. Abortion? Plenty of states have legalized abortion. Murder being a crime? Are you going to try and tell me now that just because murder was described in the Bible as a sin that we should legalize it?

I think you need to get over the fact that our country is different than yours. JustSignedUp is probably a troll, but you should know better than to criticize a country that you share more similarities with than not.

#30 Posted by GazaAli (22491 posts) -

@Braun_Roid_Rage said:

*Fixed.

I'm very fond of this post.

#31 Posted by themajormayor (25649 posts) -

@Kevlar101 said:

@pspdseagle said:

Denounce one stereotype with another? Not all Americans are patriotic.

Derp.

"Hell, I live in the U.S. and i'm barely even patriotic at all."

-Kevlar101

#32 Posted by themajormayor (25649 posts) -

@Braun_Roid_Rage said:

This is stupid. USA is not in war in any Middle Eastern country I can think of. In any case, length of war is a bad measurement.

#33 Edited by GazaAli (22491 posts) -

@XilePrincess said:

@Braun_Roid_Rage said:

This is stupid. USA is not in war in any Middle Eastern country I can think of. In any case, length of war is a bad measurement.

Yea after screwing up in two consecutive and admittedly unwarranted wars, the U.S' government could no longer sell the world or its own people on going to more pointless, gruesome and expensive wars. So the U.S alternatively decided to adopt the strategy of proxy wars to continue the implementation of its military and foreign policy. Besides, people are indeed and unarguably still dying because of the military actions and decisions the U.S government executed post 9/11. The ongoing destabilization of both Iraq and Afghanistan is the product of the U.S army going to war with both countries and subsequent American control of both countries. Drones are still killing people in both Afghanistan and at times Pakistan. Arguably the U.S helped overthrow Mubarak regime in Egypt some 3 years ago. While I personally don't have anything to back up this specific claim, I've read extensive evidence that the Obama administration did approve and helped the deranged fascist brotherhood rise to power in post-Mubarak Egypt and post-Ben Ali Tunisia. So far hundreds of people, if not thousands, have died on the hands of these new regimes, not to mention the unprecedented political, economic and social distresses and grievances of the people's of both countries which result from the rise of the fascist brotherhood to power. Then there is Syria where what originally started as popular protests got transformed to a fully fledged civil war that is the ground of many international players and staggering political and ideological intricacies. I'm not going to elaborate much on how the U.S fucked the Syrian uprising, but one of the major flops of the U.S' policy towards Syria was how it at the early stages of the uprising prevented anyone from reacting to the situation with the promise that it will take care of it. It took it upon itself to arm the resistance and coordinate it efforts. Later on, it turned out the U.S' strategy towards Syria has been from the start doing nothing about the conflict so that the it can get to its current FUBAR state. Not only more than 120,000 thousand Syrians have been killed, but also the opposition lost all credibility, extremist gained control on the ground and Syria as a state and a nation have been both reduced to the ground.

Since 9/11, the U.S has incurred a lot of blood and destruction in the Middle East on its hands.

#34 Posted by Aljosa23 (24337 posts) -

@XilePrincess said:

@Braun_Roid_Rage said:

*Fixed.

1) We have plenty of access to contraceptives. You are equating certain states' battles over abortion to the entire country. Please stop doing that. Planned Parenthood was defunded for a number of legitimate reasons. You make it out to be like they're some sterling example of a humanitarian organization when they aren't.

2) Neither of the world wars involved a fanatical religious insurgency. You do realize that the world wars were fairly conventional, correct?

4) The reason we hear about things every day is because we have a for-profit media that benefits greatly by having as many viewers as possible. People get murdered in Canada every day. Just because you don't hear about it doesn't mean it isn't happening.

5) We are just as multicultural as you. I would even bet more so. What laws do religion force you to abide by? Blue laws? Most people enjoy having Sundays off. Abortion? Plenty of states have legalized abortion. Murder being a crime? Are you going to try and tell me now that just because murder was described in the Bible as a sin that we should legalize it?

I think you need to get over the fact that our country is different than yours. JustSignedUp is probably a troll, but you should know better than to criticize a country that you share more similarities with than not.

Just a few things:
- We DO hear about all the murders that happen (at least where I live, the most populous area in the country) because they are so rare. I think we're at 5 or 6 for the year but don't quote me on that figure. I think you are vastly underestimating how safe the country is and the whole country has less murders per year than the city of Detroit alone.

- Multiculturalism in Canada is about the same as it is in America in the sense that it is focused into certain areas. I know my city is incredibly diverse but if you go a few miles north of it, well, there's a reason Canada is the great white north.

- Our countries are different and to say otherwise is just offensive. Contrary to the beliefs of Americans on here Canadians do have a national identity. Obviously we do share SOME aspects but it's more on a state/provincial level; like the area where I live is similar to New York state and some shithole in Saskatchewan is similar (but probably still better) than the best area in Mississippi.

#35 Edited by Master_Live (13672 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@themajormayor said:

@XilePrincess said:

@Braun_Roid_Rage said:

Yea after screwing up in two consecutive and admittedly unwarranted wars,

How the hell was the Afghan War was unwarranted?

#36 Edited by themajormayor (25649 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@themajormayor said:

@XilePrincess said:

@Braun_Roid_Rage said:

Yea after screwing up in two consecutive and admittedly unwarranted wars, the U.S' government could no longer sell the world or its own people on going to more pointless, gruesome and expensive wars. So the U.S alternatively decided to adopt the strategy of proxy wars to continue the implementation of its military and foreign policy. Besides, people are indeed and unarguably still dying because of the military actions and decisions the U.S government executed post 9/11. The ongoing destabilization of both Iraq and Afghanistan is the product of the U.S army going to war with both countries and subsequent American control of both countries. Drones are still killing people in both Afghanistan and at times Pakistan. Arguably the U.S helped overthrow Mubarak regime in Egypt some 3 years ago. While I personally don't have anything to back up this specific claim, I've read extensive evidence that the Obama administration did approve and helped the deranged fascist brotherhood rise to power in post-Mubarak Egypt and post-Ben Ali Tunisia. So far hundreds of people, if not thousands, have died on the hands of these new regimes, not to mention the unprecedented political, economic and social distresses and grievances of the people's of both countries which result from the rise of the fascist brotherhood to power. Then there is Syria where what originally started as popular protests got transformed to a fully fledged civil war that is the ground of many international players and staggering political and ideological intricacies. I'm not going to elaborate much on how the U.S fucked the Syrian uprising, but one of the major flops of the U.S' policy towards Syria was how it at the early stages of the uprising prevented anyone from reacting to the situation with the promise that it will take care of it. It took it upon itself to arm the resistance and coordinate it efforts. Later on, it turned out the U.S' strategy towards Syria has been from the start doing nothing about the conflict so that the it can get to its current FUBAR state. Not only more than 120,000 thousand Syrians have been killed, but also the opposition lost all credibility, extremist gained control on the ground and Syria as a state and a nation have been both reduced to the ground.

Since 9/11, the U.S has incurred a lot of blood and destruction in the Middle East on its hands.

I just said that to be able to point out that Afghanistan and Pakistan is not in the Middle East.

#37 Posted by GazaAli (22491 posts) -

@themajormayor: To my knowledge some definitions of the Middle East do include at least Afghanistan. But you're correct, the more accurate and precise definition of the region includes neither Afghanistan nor Pakistan. But really, I was more referring to the average individual's definition of the region, one which lumps everything in the Middle and Near East together as the Middle East, something that to an extent has some correctness to it.

#38 Edited by Large_Soda (8607 posts) -

@Braun_Roid_Rage said:

Canada's debit is $600 billion.

#39 Posted by musicalmac (22694 posts) -

Why shouldn't they? There's nothing wrong with believing you live in the best country in the world.

That being said, Canada does export excellent whiskey and their air force is top notch (mostly because they buy their planes from America...).

#40 Posted by airshocker (28347 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

@airshocker said:

@XilePrincess said:

@Braun_Roid_Rage said:

*Fixed.

Just a few things:

- We DO hear about all the murders that happen (at least where I live, the most populous area in the country) because they are so rare. I think we're at 5 or 6 for the year but don't quote me on that figure. I think you are vastly underestimating how safe the country is and the whole country has less murders per year than the city of Detroit alone.

- Multiculturalism in Canada is about the same as it is in America in the sense that it is focused into certain areas. I know my city is incredibly diverse but if you go a few miles north of it, well, there's a reason Canada is the great white north.

- Our countries are different and to say otherwise is just offensive. Contrary to the beliefs of Americans on here Canadians do have a national identity. Obviously we do share SOME aspects but it's more on a state/provincial level; like the area where I live is similar to New York state and some shithole in Saskatchewan is similar (but probably still better) than the best area in Mississippi.

What do you mean only five? Only five this year? Not for the entire country. I'm not underestimating anything. I'm explaining why we always hear about things in the news which is why I don't think they're happening any more than usual.

I already said our countries are different. But we're far more similar than we're not. To claim otherwise is dumb.

#41 Posted by XilePrincess (13104 posts) -

1) Then why do you have the highest teen pregnancy rate around? Planned parenthood and other such organizations that provide these services are still fighting to not be shut down by the conservative old white men who think premarital sex is a sin and not talking about it makes it not happen. And while yes, the abortion debate and the fight to decrease access and/or legality is much more prominent in certain states, COME ON. How absolutely pathetic. Again, it's the religious views of some that are fighting to trump the rights of all. Because some people are religious and their religion says no, everyone else who doesn't have the same beliefs has to suffer. Land of the free, my friend.

2) Certainly do. But still, 10 years later and how many children have lost a parent? There's definitely a better way than what's currently going on.

3) Yeah, as of when? 2010? You put your policy IN just after we took ours out. You're nearly 20 years behind on rights and equality.

4) What makes you think Canada's media isn't for profit? You DO hear about it when something happens. A homeless guy was found dead under a bridge in my city and it was front-page because they thought somebody killed him. Someone likely NOBODY cared about, made the front page. Sure, murders do happen here, but nothing like the US in quantity, frequency, or ridiculousness.

5) You may have just as wide of an array of immigrants, but the attitude towards them there is definitely NOT the same as here.

As for what laws and customs are religiously biased? Read above again. The main reason against gay marriage in the US is "God says no". Sex ed and birth control? God says no premarital sex, so we don't need any of that. Abortions? HEAVENS NO, God would never approve. We can't let other people decide what to do with their bodies, so we'll heckle people outside of abortion clinics, and set up BS "pregnancy crisis centers" and give people horrid misinformation about abortion, and it's ALL LEGAL because of the right to free speech and religious freedom. There are no chokes placed on the BS they're allowed to spew.

That's just a start. The point is, a large number in power are, as I said, 60+ white conservative men who make laws based on their own personal beliefs rather than the basis of human rights.

Getting Sundays off is really the only religiously-based thing that does no harm. Sure, the basis was for people to go to church, but since not everybody does, it's as good a day as any for a day off. I don't really see your point here.

#42 Edited by LaytonsCat (3652 posts) -

Besides that stuff, EVERYONE has rights and such protect by law. Instead of the fun stuff Arizona and the other rednecks try and pull.

#43 Posted by _HazBro_ (124 posts) -

The answer is obvious.

Canadian's do it better. We're better than you Americans, Sorry.

Not sorry.

#44 Posted by airshocker (28347 posts) -

@airshocker said:

1) Then why do you have the highest teen pregnancy rate around? Planned parenthood and other such organizations that provide these services are still fighting to not be shut down by the conservative old white men who think premarital sex is a sin and not talking about it makes it not happen. And while yes, the abortion debate and the fight to decrease access and/or legality is much more prominent in certain states, COME ON. How absolutely pathetic. Again, it's the religious views of some that are fighting to trump the rights of all. Because some people are religious and their religion says no, everyone else who doesn't have the same beliefs has to suffer. Land of the free, my friend.

2) Certainly do. But still, 10 years later and how many children have lost a parent? There's definitely a better way than what's currently going on.

3) Yeah, as of when? 2010? You put your policy IN just after we took ours out. You're nearly 20 years behind on rights and equality.

4) What makes you think Canada's media isn't for profit? You DO hear about it when something happens. A homeless guy was found dead under a bridge in my city and it was front-page because they thought somebody killed him. Someone likely NOBODY cared about, made the front page. Sure, murders do happen here, but nothing like the US in quantity, frequency, or ridiculousness.

5) You may have just as wide of an array of immigrants, but the attitude towards them there is definitely NOT the same as here.

As for what laws and customs are religiously biased? Read above again. The main reason against gay marriage in the US is "God says no". Sex ed and birth control? God says no premarital sex, so we don't need any of that. Abortions? HEAVENS NO, God would never approve. We can't let other people decide what to do with their bodies, so we'll heckle people outside of abortion clinics, and set up BS "pregnancy crisis centers" and give people horrid misinformation about abortion, and it's ALL LEGAL because of the right to free speech and religious freedom. There are no chokes placed on the BS they're allowed to spew.

That's just a start. The point is, a large number in power are, as I said, 60+ white conservative men who make laws based on their own personal beliefs rather than the basis of human rights.

Getting Sundays off is really the only religiously-based thing that does no harm. Sure, the basis was for people to go to church, but since not everybody does, it's as good a day as any for a day off. I don't really see your point here.

1) A rate that's going down. Planned Parenthood has enough problems not supporting fake pimps and prostitutes. I have no qualms about taking away funding from such an organization. And I sincerely doubt it has anything to do with me being a conservative white male.

2) A better way to wage war? Absolutely. It's called drones and we're using them.

3) So what? My issue with what you said was due to inaccuracies. Blatant inaccuracies since you seem to know very well that DADT doesn't exist anymore.

4) When did I say Canada's media wasn't for-profit? I sincerely doubt the frequency is greater than in the past. What's happening now is information overload. We have access to almost every locality due to the internet. Of course we're going to hear about more awful crimes. It's par for the course and you're making it out to be something that it isn't.

5) We have a wide array of cultures, not just immigrants. And they're treated very well in this country. Too well, some might argue.

Excuse me, but you have no idea what you're talking about. You are, again, purposefully ignoring the fact that we have over 50 states in this country that deal with those issues separately. For example: Here in New York I went through a very comprehensive sexual education course when I was in middle school. So comprehensive, in fact, that I remember being extremely embarrassed about being in that class room. Birth control is readily available to those who have the insurance to pay for it. And stores are REQUIRED to sell condoms to someone of any age.

Everyone makes laws based on their own personal beliefs. Every single politician in the history of the world has done that. You just seem to have some fixation on conservative white men. Which, may I remind you, encompasses a lot of us who aren't social conservatives.

#45 Posted by dave123321 (33419 posts) -

Why are we talking about America

#46 Posted by vl4d_l3nin (780 posts) -

2) A better way to wage war? Absolutely. It's called drones and we're using them.

Blind fire and double tap our way to victory!

#47 Edited by dave123321 (33419 posts) -

I wish whiteknight was still with us

#48 Posted by thegerg (14417 posts) -

Well at least we now know that Canadians can whine, troll, and lie as well as anyone else.

#49 Posted by dave123321 (33419 posts) -

I remember when whiteknight got pissed off when someone posted about flooding in canada and said we shouldn't care enough for a thread or something