Why are some people constantly absent/ late to school?!?!

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Stanley09
Member since 2009 • 1656 Posts

So Im sure we all know those people who never show up to school for some reason, and im not talking about trouble making kids either. Like in one of my classes, there is a girl who is absent probably 2/3 of the time atleast, and then there is another girl who comes in 30-45min tardy atleast 1/2 the time. Then I remember in middle school, in our homeroom we stumbled upon one girls attendance record(this was in may, school here is sept-june) and she was absent 46 time.

What gives? Whats with these people? do they not have parents?:?

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Some have medical issues or other things which are of a higher priority other's are just delinquents. It's not like you can force a kid to go to class if they don't want to go.
Suzy_Q_Kazoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Suzy_Q_Kazoo
Member since 2010 • 9899 Posts

I didn't start becoming late all the time until I began driving. I'm just not a punctual person. I'm a good student and I still show up, but I'll just be five or ten minutes late. Now that I'm in college, none of my teachers really care.

Strider_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Strider_91
Member since 2007 • 6570 Posts
Maybe they don't have parent's, family troubles, medical issues, have a distant to travel and can't rely on transport.. or lazy..
testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 testfactor888
Member since 2010 • 7157 Posts

I know when I was in high school I ditched around 50 percent of the time. My parents knew as I told them anytime I ditched.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Some people are just late. They're the same people that don't last long in jobs because they never show up.

i-like-pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 i-like-pie
Member since 2005 • 4070 Posts
Some people just dont care.
Desulated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#8 Desulated
Member since 2005 • 30952 Posts

There are some people that just don't give a damn about school.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Some people just dont care.i-like-pie
This is the usual reason. They just don't care and they, for whatever reason, don't see being on time or early as being a big deal.

Stanley09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Stanley09
Member since 2009 • 1656 Posts
Im pretty sure these people care about doing good in school though because this is an honors course they are always late/absent for. If they didnt care about school/were lazy I doubt they would be in this class
testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 testfactor888
Im pretty sure these people care about doing good in school though because this is an honors course they are always late/absent for. If they didnt care about school/were lazy I doubt they would be in this classStanley09
Perhaps they used to care and priorities have changed.
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
Some people just dont care.i-like-pie
Indeed. This was the case when I asked them.
rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
I know, especially in college.
Suzy_Q_Kazoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Suzy_Q_Kazoo
Member since 2010 • 9899 Posts

Im pretty sure these people care about doing good in school though because this is an honors course they are always late/absent for. If they didnt care about school/were lazy I doubt they would be in this classStanley09
Old habits die hard. I'm not late ALL the time, but for morning classes it's not uncommon to see me waltz in a bit late. Funny thing is that when I worked, I was only late once in that entire time period. In high school, one of my teachers kept giving me detention so I stopped being late. It's almost as simple as that: if they don't think there's any consequences for their actions, they're not going to see any reason to change their ways (as time probably isn't a big deal in their eyes).

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

i don't know. one thing i take pride in is that i am never late for an appointment. i never show up late for work, or class. if i tell someone i'm going to be there at a certain time, then i will be there, at that time.

despa1r_fact0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16 despa1r_fact0r
Member since 2008 • 24611 Posts
I was on of those people who was late almost every day of school and was absent a lot - and while I was in college I was still late for classes, most of the time on purpose, and I missed a lot of classes. I'm early when I have to go to work, have meetings, or appointments to go to. I've been with my current job for almost 2 years and have only missed 2 days (1 of those was for me graduating college) and went home sick once.
Da_lil_PimP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Da_lil_PimP
Member since 2006 • 4241 Posts

Depends when the class is for me. Social for me is right after lunch, and I'm usually late because I don't leave my house in time, as well as I don't care for social. If math was right after lunch I would be sure to be on time because I acutally like that class and need it for college.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

maybe they are secretly superheroes.

_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

I had one university class that I was 10 minutes late to every day. It was because my favorite cooking show was over at 12:30 and that's what time the class started at. You can't miss the end of the show because that's when all the dishes all come together as a coherent whole.

When someone explained the circumstance to my professor, he replied "that's just fantastic!"

jiggaloj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 jiggaloj
Member since 2006 • 4345 Posts

I lived across the street from my high school and I used to be late everyday. I failed homeroom a few times. :?

Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts
Laziness, family problems, and all that bad stuff.
Mcspanky37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Mcspanky37
Member since 2010 • 1693 Posts

So Im sure we all know those people who never show up to school for some reason, and im not talking about trouble making kids either. Like in one of my classes, there is a girl who is absent probably 2/3 of the time atleast, and then there is another girl who comes in 30-45min tardy atleast 1/2 the time. Then I remember in middle school, in our homeroom we stumbled upon one girls attendance record(this was in may, school here is sept-june) and she was absent 46 time.

What gives? Whats with these people? do they not have parents?:?

Stanley09
Highschool and middleschool are both pretty easy. I know kids who've gotten B+ grades and only showed up half the time. Some kids don't like school and other kids have better things to do.
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
At my HS you only got so many unexcused absent/tardies then you failed the entire year.
GrabTheYayo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GrabTheYayo
Member since 2010 • 1315 Posts

i always get to school late in first period. bad habbit of waking up late. meh...school sux

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

I'm assuming you're talking about highschool. Highschool is more about learning conformity than education.

ContraQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ContraQueen
Member since 2009 • 2460 Posts

whenever I hate a class I'll either just be consistently absent or late. If I need to be in the class but I'm not motivated, I just don't care enough about my attendance at all.

Avatar image for MelancholyHotel
MelancholyHotel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MelancholyHotel
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
disrespect? :|
despa1r_fact0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#28 despa1r_fact0r
Member since 2008 • 24611 Posts
At my HS you only got so many unexcused absent/tardies then you failed the entire year.AutoPilotOn
I had that at my High School too, but there was an appeals process where we had to fill out a form and had to fill out all the days that I missed and give my reason for missing them and have my parents sign it, and then I had to get all of the teachers whose class we missed more than10 days in fill give my grade and they had to agree that my absents should be forgiven. I had to do that for every class for the first 3 years of High School and only had 1 teacher to refuse to fill out a appeal form (but I was failing that class so even if I was appealed I would've still failed) . My senior year I moved to a new school and they allowed for 20 missing per half of the year and I never went over that.
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
[QUOTE="AutoPilotOn"]At my HS you only got so many unexcused absent/tardies then you failed the entire year.despa1r_fact0r
I had that at my High School too, but there was an appeals process where we had to fill out a form and had to fill out all the days that I missed and give my reason for missing them and have my parents sign it, and then I had to get all of the teachers whose class we missed more than10 days in fill give my grade and they had to agree that my absents should be forgiven. I had to do that for every class for the first 3 years of High School and only had 1 teacher to refuse to fill out a appeal form (but I was failing that class so even if I was appealed I would've still failed) . My senior year I moved to a new school and they allowed for 20 missing per half of the year and I never went over that.

People's priorities change. I know in high school most of the time I was late was either because I missed my bus or the bus took a really long time to get to school. In university I am usually late because I always underestimate the time it would take me to get to class.
Avatar image for deactivated-6016e81e8e30f
deactivated-6016e81e8e30f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-6016e81e8e30f
Member since 2009 • 12955 Posts
They don't care, usually. Though I was one of those to not show up frequently, since I was always being crippled by severe mold allergies, and my school was filled with the stuff.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

likely because a lot of school is pointless BS and, since the emphasis is on performance and not learning these days, acing tests does not really require perfect attendence.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
I was absent a lot the last year I did public school because I was just so physically and mentally drained and in a downward spiral of depression that I couldn't bring myself to go. People who just don't feel like going to school or constantly fake sick (my sister being one of those) piss me off. You're in highschool, grow the hell up. People who always sleep in and are late drive me completely insane as well, it just baffles me that they can't understand that school starts at 8 am and you need to be there by then, there is no 2 ways about it. Any person who has a stay-at-home parent and can't manage to get to school on time is pathetic to me, and so is their parent. If the parent is too lazy to take the child to school (provided they live out of walking distance) then they should at least be responsible enough to have the child ready for the bus in the morning.
keiblerfan69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33 keiblerfan69
Member since 2004 • 15237 Posts

I had between 35 and 50 absents every year in high school. I hated school and didn't learn a damn thing there.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#34 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I'm one of them.

I lack motivation to come to class, nothing clicks to make me go. I have issues with transportation. I live an hour away from school and my parents come home from work right at the time I have to leave. Traffic is an issue too. I have a sleeping disorder and some kind of depression.

The big thing I hate about PUBLIC School is that a lot of teachers suck at teaching and I learn nothing. It's sad that I learn everything on the computer.

Avatar image for DangerHiVoltage
DangerHiVoltage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DangerHiVoltage
Member since 2009 • 1157 Posts
in college u dont need to attend classes to get good grades. i go maybe 3 times a week to classes that its important for me to be in at those times, be it a quiz, handing in an assignment or doing a presentation. i only go if i have to, just follow the curriculum they give u and do it on your own time. now of course, for some classes, like computer science, math or accounting, it is extremely important to show up to every class, because it is way too easy to fall very far back very quickly. once u get lost in those courses than you have a very hard time catching back up
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Because they have lives at late hours at night. "Hey are you implying...." No, it could be playing anything, like say: Play wow at 3 in the morning.
testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 testfactor888

I was absent a lot the last year I did public school because I was just so physically and mentally drained and in a downward spiral of depression that I couldn't bring myself to go. People who just don't feel like going to school or constantly fake sick (my sister being one of those) piss me off. You're in highschool, grow the hell up. People who always sleep in and are late drive me completely insane as well, it just baffles me that they can't understand that school starts at 8 am and you need to be there by then, there is no 2 ways about it. Any person who has a stay-at-home parent and can't manage to get to school on time is pathetic to me, and so is their parent. If the parent is too lazy to take the child to school (provided they live out of walking distance) then they should at least be responsible enough to have the child ready for the bus in the morning.XilePrincess

Did you really just say you missed alot of your last year of public school because you we're depressed and coulden't bring yourself to go and than in the same post get mad at people who just don't feel like going to school? Hypocritical

Mcspanky37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Mcspanky37
Member since 2010 • 1693 Posts

People who just don't feel like going to school or constantly fake sick (my sister being one of those) piss me off. You're in highschool, grow the hell up. XilePrincess

I think someone else here needs to grow up ;). If someone wants to not go to school at their own discretion, then that's their choice. Highschool for the most part is a cakewalk.

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts

[QUOTE="XilePrincess"]I was absent a lot the last year I did public school because I was just so physically and mentally drained and in a downward spiral of depression that I couldn't bring myself to go. People who just don't feel like going to school or constantly fake sick (my sister being one of those) piss me off. You're in highschool, grow the hell up. People who always sleep in and are late drive me completely insane as well, it just baffles me that they can't understand that school starts at 8 am and you need to be there by then, there is no 2 ways about it. Any person who has a stay-at-home parent and can't manage to get to school on time is pathetic to me, and so is their parent. If the parent is too lazy to take the child to school (provided they live out of walking distance) then they should at least be responsible enough to have the child ready for the bus in the morning.testfactor888

Did you really just say you missed alot of your last year of public school because you we're depressed and coulden't bring yourself to go and than in the same post get mad at people who just don't feel like going to school? Hypocritical

How is it hypocritical when you miss classes because of a medical reason as opposed to being simply lazy or faking sickness?
xXxQuizzyxXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 xXxQuizzyxXx
Member since 2010 • 553 Posts
the late kids are blazin up in the parking lot. go join and burn one
Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts
Bad management of time and/or laziness
nobodylive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 nobodylive
Member since 2005 • 1880 Posts
My absences and tardies are excused.
dreamdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 dreamdude
Member since 2006 • 4627 Posts

I've recently started having this problem now that I'm living off campus and it's getting cold.

rcafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 rcafan
Member since 2010 • 2025 Posts
some people are just lazy or just have working all night and trying to get there homwork done well. this likey more ot than we know.
Jackboot343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jackboot343
Member since 2007 • 2574 Posts

I missed an average of 30 days a year in high school due to adolescence, social anxiety, bullies, snowballing effect of procrastination, lack of challenge/accomplishment, need of sleep, etc. I suppose in some ways I am a late bloomer.

Now...I've never missed a single day of college or work, and it is common that I arrive before my professors/classmates are on campus and before my boss/coworkers is at the shop. I empathize for our forsaken youth. Their burdens are overlooked by too many.

JadeNic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 JadeNic
Member since 2007 • 905 Posts

I was a good student until my junior and senior years of high school. I was absent more times than I went. I wasn't learning anything in my classes and I had more important things at home I had to take care of. I would just show up on days that we had tests. As long as I got A's on the test nobody bothered me. I must have been a teachers worst nightmare. What do you do with the student that never goes to class yet aces all the tests?

Supposedly you could only miss 9 days a semester at my high school. They never did say anything to me, though.

When I started college school became a priority for me and I stopped skipping classes (well, at least routinely). It really hasn't been an issue for me.

It is really just about a persons priorities at any given time. High school really isn't that big of a deal.

TheMagicThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 TheMagicThing
Member since 2007 • 337 Posts

Hey, we have plenty of GOOD reasons why we are late and absent. Sleep is important so we sleep in to get our 8 hours :P

Zaeryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#49 Zaeryn
Member since 2005 • 9070 Posts

Some people just don't like going to school. Maybe things don't go well for them there, or maybe they have problems at home. They could also have troubles getting a ride to school, especially if they live far away. It could also just be apathy or laziness.

testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 testfactor888
[QUOTE="testfactor888"]

[QUOTE="XilePrincess"]I was absent a lot the last year I did public school because I was just so physically and mentally drained and in a downward spiral of depression that I couldn't bring myself to go. People who just don't feel like going to school or constantly fake sick (my sister being one of those) piss me off. You're in highschool, grow the hell up. People who always sleep in and are late drive me completely insane as well, it just baffles me that they can't understand that school starts at 8 am and you need to be there by then, there is no 2 ways about it. Any person who has a stay-at-home parent and can't manage to get to school on time is pathetic to me, and so is their parent. If the parent is too lazy to take the child to school (provided they live out of walking distance) then they should at least be responsible enough to have the child ready for the bus in the morning.the_ChEeSe_mAn2

How is it hypocritical when you miss classes because of a medical reason as opposed to being simply lazy or faking sickness?

I think its hypocritical for her to have a reason that she says is truth and at the same time say that someone else who doesn't "feel" like going to school is someone she hates. So she can get away with it but others can't? Its BS