Why are people so afraid to die?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ParadiseAwaits (1410 posts) -

I see it in all the time. People are always crying about cancer and disease and pollution...lol....well pollution doesn't excactly kill...but you know what I mean.

I thought Christians were supposed to believe in Heaven or something, but they are afraid to die.

I just don't understand. People cry over death, why? If they are truly a beliver then they should be thrilled that their loved one will experience invinciblility in Heaven. Like a cheat code or something. lol

I believe deep down that most people are not ignorant, but are truly idiots. I have known about death since I was taught it at a young age and have accepted it.

People need to get over it.

#2 Posted by aaaaarrrrggggg (13979 posts) -
That's not even being afraid of death, that's just not liking it. Are you actually calling people idiots for feeling sad when others die?
#3 Posted by WSGRandomPerson (13693 posts) -
I really don't know. Were all going to die at some point in time. Mine as well get grips on it, and just kinda be ready. Like me, i'm all ready for death. Not really afraid of it, it happens it happens. =|
#4 Posted by frozenthino (9741 posts) -

people are especially afraid of death , they're afraid of end of life , not being able to play videogames anymore or seeing those you love , we dun even know if theres funny "ppl" wherever we are goin after this.

as far as im concerned i dun care , if it happens then oops... but i think ill be a little afraid when ill fell like im gettin close it, i think ill even cry , i mean there are so much things we are enjoying during life

#5 Posted by rowzzr (2384 posts) -

what makes people who believe in heaven sad over death is that they wont be seeing or talking to that person..in a long time or in a time nobody knows when.

however, i find it silly that you think people who dont want to die are afraid of death. if you're so not afraid of it, then you shouldn't fear anything at all. but i dont think that's the case. fear's root is death after all.

#6 Posted by domatron23 (6225 posts) -

Humans are the only creature to be aware of their mortality and inevitable death and in spite of the belief in an afterlife we still fear death. Why you ask?. First of all our brains are wired by evolutionary processes to try to survive as long as we can so that we can reproduce etc etc. More importantly is that death is absolutely unknowable. Socrates says that we should not fear what we do not know but I disagree. What I do know is that life as it is now is pretty damned good and death presents the possibility of me losing that. It's just basic selfishness really.

But what of the afterlife you say? Well I have always argued that the afterlife simply does not exist and I think that everyone, no matter how devoutly religious, is afraid of this possibility. Here's a cool saying that I stole from muthersa: belief and truth are seperate and death shreds the veil between the two

#7 Posted by Celldrax (14712 posts) -

Umm...

Life>>>>>>>>>death

Fact.

#8 Posted by ParadiseAwaits (1410 posts) -

Humans are the only creature to be aware of their mortality and inevitable death and in spite of the belief in an afterlife we still fear death. Why you ask?. First of all our brains are wired by evolutionary processes to try to survive as long as we can so that we can reproduce etc etc. More importantly is that death is absolutely unknowable. Socrates says that we should not fear what we do not know but I disagree. What I do know is that life as it is now is pretty damned good and death presents the possibility of me losing that. It's just basic selfishness really.

But what of the afterlife you say? Well I have always argued that the afterlife simply does not exist and I think that everyone, no matter how devoutly religious, is afraid of this possibility. Here's a cool saying that I stole from muthersa: belief and truth are seperate and death shreds the veil between the two

domatron23

That is one of the most intelligent and thought out replies I have ever read.

Thank you. :)

#9 Posted by domatron23 (6225 posts) -
[QUOTE="domatron23"]

ParadiseAwaits

Why thank you I appreciate your appreciation. If you're interested in the philosophy of death then I suggest you read Plato's Apology and Phaedo

#10 Posted by frankyfitz (4528 posts) -
Becausepeople fear the inevitable...
#11 Posted by -Twilight- (8931 posts) -
I don't think anyone, including yourself, can honestly express being content with losing everything they ever had, have, and wanted. Even if you aren't afraid to die, and unfortunately have some form of cancer, are you going to deny treatment because you don't fear death?
#12 Posted by DaRockWilder (5451 posts) -
Im scared of death because i dont know what happens after that, after hour last hearbeat :(
#13 Posted by dracos9000 (1313 posts) -

I see it in all the time. People are always crying about cancer and disease and pollution...lol....well pollution doesn't excactly kill...but you know what I mean.

I thought Christians were supposed to believe in Heaven or something, but they are afraid to die.

I just don't understand. People cry over death, why? If they are truly a beliver then they should be thrilled that their loved one will experience invinciblility in Heaven. Like a cheat code or something. lol

I believe deep down that most people are not ignorant, but are truly idiots. I have known about death since I was taught it at a young age and have accepted it.

ParadiseAwaits

You sound like a perfect candidate for the infantry division. Why dont you join and prove to yourself that you are not afraid of death? Words are merely just words when you are in the situation of death or when you know that the next day you may not wake up is the time you can actually understand life and death. I am not doubting you I am just saying that saying you are ready for death and then actually being in a situation that involves being ready for death are completely different.

#14 Posted by CaptHawkeye (13977 posts) -

It's a little rough for people to come to terms with the fact that their existence as thinking/feeling being can and will end permanently.

#15 Posted by Whight_Knight (5725 posts) -
"Everyone wants to go to heaven , but nobody wants to die ..."
#16 Posted by Funkyhamster (17366 posts) -

First of all our brains are wired by evolutionary processes to try to survive as long as we can so that we can reproduce etc etc.

domatron23
I'd say that's probably the most influential reason...
#17 Posted by quadraleap (36517 posts) -

Its not after death I'm worried about, its the act of death, such as being mangled in a garbage truck or having an embarrasing heart attack in the mall or something.

#18 Posted by JJ4545 (3015 posts) -
Are you stupid? People are afraid of death because they'd rather live.
#19 Posted by Ezgam3r (2308 posts) -

Humans are the only creature to be aware of their mortality and inevitable death and in spite of the belief in an afterlife we still fear death. domatron23

Not true. We don't know if other animals believe in an afterlife as we can't directly communicate with them to find out, but animals are pretty aware of their mortality as they won't just sit their and let itself get killed.

Why you ask?. First of all our brains are wired by evolutionary processes to try to survive as long as we can so that we can reproduce etc etc.domatron23

Same thing with other animals. They want to live as long as they can and they will try to do anything for it.

More importantly is that death is absolutely unknowable. Socrates says that we should not fear what we do not know but I disagree. What I do know is that life as it is now is pretty damned good and death presents the possibility of me losing that. It's just basic selfishness really.domatron23
True

But what of the afterlife you say? Well I have always argued that the afterlife simply does not exist and I think that everyone, no matter how devoutly religious, is afraid of this possibility.domatron23

Yea, everyone is concerned whether or not an afterlife exists but how exactly can you argue against (or for) something that is unknowable (unless of course, you died, found out and came back to life) without using faith like arguing about the existence of God or other universes and such?

Here's a cool saying that I stole from muthersa: belief and truth are seperate and death shreds the veil between the two

domatron23
True enough.
#20 Posted by bebopoutlaw3gun (5584 posts) -

Get over death? No. We all know we're going to die, we don't know where we go or what happens to us when we die. Death makes life seem pretty ****** futile and pointless. If there was an immediate threat to you're life you'd be scared. Stop acting like a hard ass. Ehh...guess I always thought death was a far away thing when I was younger. Then people around me died, people my age, grandparents...it's real. Im not saying you should spend your life worrying about it but it's natural to be scared by the reality of death.

#21 Posted by darksword1123 (30121 posts) -
DD wasn't.
#22 Posted by CptJSparrow (10897 posts) -
When it comes time, they will worry about being wrong unless they are truly confident in their belief.
#23 Posted by o_sausage (5919 posts) -
I don't understand either. Why should one fear the inevitable?
#24 Posted by Thechaninator (5187 posts) -
[QUOTE="ParadiseAwaits"][QUOTE="domatron23"]

domatron23

Why thank you I appreciate your appreciation. If you're interested in the philosophy of death then I suggest you read Plato's Apology and Phaedo

Socrates was a badass!

Anyways, as mentioned it really is because we don't know for sure what happens. I mean even when I was depressed I still didn't really want to die just because there is still stuff I enjoy. I personally hate the idea of losing all the experiences I have had in this life....

As for being sad when others die, well I don't know about you but I kinda enjoy seeing my friends and if they were to die I would be upset because it means I wouldn't get to see them again......

#25 Posted by hojobojo (1268 posts) -
Because they don't know what happens after death... it's human nature to be afraid of the unknown. Which is why Christains are still afraid to die even though they believe in heaven.
#26 Posted by joao_22990 (2230 posts) -

I don't hink i'm afraid, but if i sometime face it, i believe i would not just stand there. It's a primitive instinct.

And of course i don't want to have cancer, or any other deadly condition, because i like to live well. If i die, i want it to be immediate, not spreading though days, or months.

I personally don' believe in THE end. If energy must be in constant number at all times, then i think consciousness it equivalent. Information can't just vanish. But i never really though about it.

#27 Posted by dayaccus007 (4349 posts) -
They don't fear death, they fear the unknown
#28 Posted by makaveli2344 (3106 posts) -

ParadiseAwaits

I say, you should get over other people just being themselves and having thier own fears, and not everyone is Christian, in fact, there are people who shun christanity, you have no ground to stand on, when you call someone an idiot.

#29 Posted by dreamdude (4619 posts) -

I'm christain and I'm not afraid of death, but rather the way I may die.

I don't think anybody wants to have their head chopped off.

And how am I to know my friends and family will make it to heaven.....heck what ifI dont even make it.

I think most christian are not afraid to die as much as they are the possiblity of burning in hell for all eternity.

#30 Posted by megagene (23026 posts) -
Because they like being alive?
#31 Posted by Elraptor (30966 posts) -
Death is the great unknown. People fear what they don't know. Also, some of them are afraid of hell or just non-existence.
#32 Posted by Selrath (3333 posts) -

Many here says they're not afraid of death, I would like to see if you would say the same when you're standing in front of a psycho with a gun to your head.
I bet you would be pretty scared. :|

#33 Posted by MarioFanatic (6153 posts) -

Im not afraid of death. I can tell you right now i probablywont like it, but death is just one of those things in life no one can prevent.

Many here says they're not afraid of death, I would like to see if you would say the same when you're standing in front of a psycho with a gun to your head.

Selrath

Not really.I'd be a little freaked out at first (as would anyone having their life in another person's hands); but we're allgonna die one way or another.

#34 Posted by _Ben99_ (1264 posts) -
I believe "Truly" religious people won't be afraid of death since they are close to God and they know about life and the lifeafter better than others. I mean they deeply believe in the lifeafter so this would make death for them as GOd's wisdom upon humans and their fate. Yeah, anyone ( including religious people) could be afraid of the very moments of death when it's approaching but when it comes to death itself it really becomes part of the human kind route to the lifeafter
#35 Posted by Bauers-Twin (14150 posts) -
cause no one knows for sure what happens after you die, and people are scared of the unknown.
#36 Posted by masters89 (1930 posts) -

domatron23

well, not really these philosophy sayings wont get you anywhere but lost between the truth and the fact . And you should know how powerful is the person who devout and deeply believes in his religion, if you dont have one or just not satisfied with your believes you cant just generalize that on others.

#37 Posted by British_Azimio (2453 posts) -
It's a natural instinct to survive. Duh.
#38 Posted by masters89 (1930 posts) -

I believe "Truly" religious people won't be afraid of death since they are close to God and they know about life and the lifeafter better than others. I mean they deeply believe in the lifeafter so this would make death for them as GOd's wisdom upon humans and their fate. Yeah, anyone ( including religious people) could be afraid of the very moments of death when it's approaching but when it comes to death itself it really becomes part of the human kind route to the lifeafter _Ben99_

Thats Whats i'm talking about domatron23!

#39 Posted by Selrath (3333 posts) -

Im not afraid of death. I can tell you right now i probablywont like it, but death is just one of those things in life no one can prevent.

[QUOTE="Selrath"]

MarioFanatic

Not really.I'd be a little freaked out at first (as would anyone having their life in another person's hands); but we're allgonna die one way or another.

Yeah but these are just things you're saying now but when it's actually happening you might react different.

#40 Posted by masters89 (1930 posts) -
[QUOTE="MarioFanatic"]

[QUOTE="Selrath"]

Selrath

Yeah but these are just things you're saying now but when it's actually happening you might react different.

It depends from person to another ... and the meter between them is thier believes.

#41 Posted by -Twilight- (8931 posts) -
[QUOTE="Selrath"][QUOTE="MarioFanatic"]

[QUOTE="Selrath"]

masters89

Itdependsfrompersontoanother...andthemeterbetweenthemisthierbelieves.

I'd laugh at you if your initial reaction to a gun being put to your head is "Oh you scared the hell out of me! Okay, give me a minute. Alright, I'm ready to die now. Goodbye cruel world."