Why are liberals so emotional and irrational?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#351 Posted by ghoklebutter (19327 posts) -
Wow, this thread is just awful.
#352 Posted by Laihendi (5828 posts) -

I wonder what the TC will do in retirement when something catastrophic happens medically, and the money isn't there to pay all the bills. Surely he wouldn't resort to using Medicaid, because it would be stealing from his fellow citizens. Surely death is preferably to stealing.

Yes, I am using an emotional argument. I've had a family member, a proud one, need to resort to Medicaid for help. It wasn't something that done happily or even willingly. It was necessary for survival, for the ill person and for the caretaker suddenly looking a a retirment fund that was going to evaporate in a year, rather than 20.

If you aren't old, TC, don't assume you know what it's like to have to deal with these situations.

jimkabrhel
I recently had a grandparent die who had extensive medical expenses the past several years, and he had no problems with them because he was responsible about his retirement plan. He had been retired for over 20 years and there was still a lot of money left over.
#353 Posted by jimkabrhel (15417 posts) -

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

I wonder what the TC will do in retirement when something catastrophic happens medically, and the money isn't there to pay all the bills. Surely he wouldn't resort to using Medicaid, because it would be stealing from his fellow citizens. Surely death is preferably to stealing.

Yes, I am using an emotional argument. I've had a family member, a proud one, need to resort to Medicaid for help. It wasn't something that done happily or even willingly. It was necessary for survival, for the ill person and for the caretaker suddenly looking a a retirment fund that was going to evaporate in a year, rather than 20.

If you aren't old, TC, don't assume you know what it's like to have to deal with these situations.

Laihendi

I recently had a grandparent die who had extensive medical expenses the past several years, and he had no problems with them because he was responsible about his retirement plan. He had been retired for over 20 years and there was still a lot of money left over.

My father was very careful with money from day one of my parents marriage, and despite both of them being teachers, they had prepared well for retirement. Until my dad had a massive stroke and the hospital bills were extraordinary.

I'm so happy that you gradfather was able to handle medical expenses in retirement, but the natural variations of the stock market and other investing opportunities means that not everyone will be able to make good on their investments.

You seem to be living in the ideal world, where you can carefully prepare and everything will go according to plan. It rarely happens that way. I hope for your sake that when you are out from under your parents' roof that you make the ideal decisions, and that they work out for you. I'm sure that if the need arose for extra funds for healthcare, you would refuse them based on your beliefs.

#354 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17384 posts) -

I recently had a grandparent die who had extensive medical expenses the past several years, and he had no problems with them because he was responsible about his retirement plan. Laihendi

So medicare didn't pay for any of his health expenses? 

#355 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17265 posts) -

[QUOTE="LostProphetFLCL"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"] All you did was rant about how you hope I get some crippling devastating illness. Which is funny because you consider me a despicable person when I wish you and everyone else no harm, and you consider yourself a good person while you actively want people to suffer. You are a very confused person.Laihendi

Way to completely fail to read my post! Tis what I expected though.

Well in your example if that guy had a car fall on him then he should sue whoever was responsible for the car falling on him and use the money to pay for his medical expenses. I shouldn't be forced to pay for his medical expenses via taxation because I am not responsible for the car falling on him.

OK so now he doesn't have to be responsible for himself, but make someone else pay instead? You are a hypocrite.

FYI there's a little saying called **** happens. NO ONE is responsible for a freak accident like that happening. But now you are saying he should sue people to make them pay.

And guess, what? He wasn't responsible for the car falling on him either! But in your twisted little mind it's OK for him to have his life ruined even further because "boohoon taxes".

Seriously, are you even old enough to be on this site?

#356 Posted by Abbeten (2803 posts) -
[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="Lotus-Edge"]

Seems like we keep circling back to the ol' "let them die in the streets" argument....

Laihendi
How emotional of you to advocate against old people who have worked their entire lives dying in the street. Telling you guys he's on to something. If we let all the mentally handicapped, young, old and unfortunate die and then get rid of regulation in the meat industry we could solve world hunger. Morals are for emotional and irrational people you see.

I am not advocating for people to die in the streets, I am advocating people taking responsibility for their lives and seeing that they are prepared for retirement, rather than living off of money stolen from others. You are creating a false dichotomy where people either live off of money given to them by the government, or they die. If people weren't taxed so heavily then any responsible person would be able to adequately prepare/save for retirement, and would not need to rely on a check from the government. If you believe someone has a right to stolen money just because he squandered his own when he should have been saving it then you believe that someone has a right to live even if he makes absolutely no effort to sustain his life. You believe that he has a right to refuse responsibility for himself and live as an unwanted burden on others.You have no morals. The emotional and irrational are intellectually incapable of understanding morality.

tax rates before social security were much lower and elderly poverty rates are much higher sorry empirical data counters your point
#357 Posted by Aljosa23 (24841 posts) -

lol "stolen money" i love that bit

#358 Posted by Laihendi (5828 posts) -

My father was very careful with money from day one of my parents marriage, and despite both of them being teachers, they had prepared well for retirement. Until my dad had a massive stroke and the hospital bills were extraordinary.

I'm so happy that you gradfather was able to handle medical expenses in retirement, but the natural variations of the stock market and other investing opportunities means that not everyone will be able to make good on their investments.

You seem to be living in the ideal world, where you can carefully prepare and everything will go according to plan. It rarely happens that way. I hope for your sake that when you are out from under your parents' roof that you make the ideal decisions, and that they work out for you. I'm sure that if the need arose for extra funds for healthcare, you would refuse them based on your beliefs.

jimkabrhel

No I would accept healthcare funds because I would want what the government had stolen from me. The problem isn't that people accept the money the government gives back, but that the government takes it at all. The government should give people the option to opt out of these programs. The fact that they won't makes it clear that the government knows people wouldn't go along with these programs if they had a choice. These programs aren't for our well-being. They are to control us.

@Sun Tzu - I think he did, but the point is that he could have gotten by without it, and that is despite being overtaxed his entire life.

#359 Posted by Abbeten (2803 posts) -
well now we're just moving into the realm of market failures
#360 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17384 posts) -

@Sun Tzu - I think he did, but the point is that he could have gotten by without it, and that is despite being overtaxed his entire life.

Laihendi
Extremely dubious statement, you don't seem to have an appreciation for how expensive health care can be.
#361 Posted by Laihendi (5828 posts) -

[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="LostProphetFLCL"]

LostProphetFLCL

Well in your example if that guy had a car fall on him then he should sue whoever was responsible for the car falling on him and use the money to pay for his medical expenses. I shouldn't be forced to pay for his medical expenses via taxation because I am not responsible for the car falling on him.

OK so now he doesn't have to be responsible for himself, but make someone else pay instead? You are a hypocrite.

FYI there's a little saying called **** happens. NO ONE is responsible for a freak accident like that happening. But now you are saying he should sue people to make them pay.

And guess, what? He wasn't responsible for the car falling on him either! But in your twisted little mind it's OK for him to have his life ruined even further because "boohoon taxes".

Cars don't just naturally fall on people. You cannot be serious.
#362 Posted by Laihendi (5828 posts) -
[QUOTE="Laihendi"]

-Sun_Tzu-
Extremely dubious statement, you don't seem to have an appreciation for how expensive health care can be.

You don't seem to have an appreciation of how large my grandfather's retirement savings were.
#363 Posted by Abbeten (2803 posts) -
why can't everyone just take personal responsibility and choose to be incredibly wealthy like his grandfather
#364 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17265 posts) -

[QUOTE="Laihendi"] Well in your example if that guy had a car fall on him then he should sue whoever was responsible for the car falling on him and use the money to pay for his medical expenses. I shouldn't be forced to pay for his medical expenses via taxation because I am not responsible for the car falling on him.Laihendi

Cars don't just naturally fall on people. You cannot be serious.

Are you simply unable to accept that **** happens?

Yes cars can just fall on people for a number of different reasons. Doesn't mean anyone was at fault.

Once again your posts really make me question if you are old enough to be on here. You really have no grasp of how the world is.

#365 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150707 posts) -

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]My father was very careful with money from day one of my parents marriage, and despite both of them being teachers, they had prepared well for retirement. Until my dad had a massive stroke and the hospital bills were extraordinary.

Laihendi

No I would accept healthcare funds because I would want what the government had stolen from me. The problem isn't that people accept the money the government gives back, but that the government takes it at all. The government should give people the option to opt out of these programs. The fact that they won't makes it clear that the government knows people wouldn't go along with these programs if they had a choice. These programs aren't for our well-being. They are to control us.

If you don't want to fund government programs....you can opt out. You just have to move somewhere that doesn't require taxes.
#366 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150707 posts) -
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="Laihendi"]

Laihendi

You don't seem to have an appreciation of how large my grandfather's retirement savings were.

So your grandfather stole money from us for his medical expenses?
#367 Posted by Laihendi (5828 posts) -
[QUOTE="Laihendi"]

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]My father was very careful with money from day one of my parents marriage, and despite both of them being teachers, they had prepared well for retirement. Until my dad had a massive stroke and the hospital bills were extraordinary.

LJS9502_basic

If you don't want to fund government programs....you can opt out. You just have to move somewhere that doesn't require taxes.

Forfeiting my property is not opting out. That is surrendering what is rightfully mine to a criminal organization. The government has no right to take my money. The government has no right to take my land. It is mine.
#368 Posted by KingKinect (540 posts) -

why can't everyone just take personal responsibility and choose to be incredibly wealthy like his grandfatherAbbeten

I think it's because a lot of people prefer to waste time and energy blaming people or society their failures or navel gazing instead of shrugging it off and making things happen. I sure know I used to be like this.

#369 Posted by Abbeten (2803 posts) -
you're right, the process of moving DOES involve giving all of your possessions to the government without any compensation
#370 Posted by DroidPhysX (17089 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Laihendi"] No I would accept healthcare funds because I would want what the government had stolen from me. The problem isn't that people accept the money the government gives back, but that the government takes it at all. The government should give people the option to opt out of these programs. The fact that they won't makes it clear that the government knows people wouldn't go along with these programs if they had a choice. These programs aren't for our well-being. They are to control us.

Laihendi

Forfeiting my property is not opting out. That is surrendering what is rightfully mine to a criminal organization. The government has no right to take my money. The government has no right to take my land. It is mine.

How does it feel knowing that you're funding a criminal organization? How does it feel knowing when you call 911,you're asking criminals to save your life?
#371 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17384 posts) -

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="Laihendi"]

Laihendi

:roll:

So am I to take it that your grandfather is somehow a model for a post-medicare world? I'd like to hear how this plan is to be emulated at a national scale. Lai how would you feel living in a world where mommy and daddy can't afford to leave you anything in inheritance because they had to spend it all on their health care as they get older? 

#372 Posted by Nuck81 (5846 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Laihendi"] No I would accept healthcare funds because I would want what the government had stolen from me. The problem isn't that people accept the money the government gives back, but that the government takes it at all. The government should give people the option to opt out of these programs. The fact that they won't makes it clear that the government knows people wouldn't go along with these programs if they had a choice. These programs aren't for our well-being. They are to control us.

Laihendi

Do you think a landowner making a tenant pay rent is the landlord stealing money from the tenant?
#373 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17384 posts) -
[QUOTE="Laihendi"] Forfeiting my property is not opting out. That is surrendering what is rightfully mine to a criminal organization. The government has no right to take my money. The government has no right to take my land. It is mine.

"my money" "my land" :hah:
#374 Posted by jimkabrhel (15417 posts) -

Laihendi

The goverment protects your ability to own land through laws that govern property rights. An individual or company cannot simply squat on your land or destroy your house. 

I really don't get where you get the idea that the government is stealing from you, since the taxes that you do pay go to a goverment that protects the rights that you espouse through laws and services. 

Sounds like a fair transaction for me.

#375 Posted by PannicAtack (21021 posts) -

Laihendi

I recall in your "impeach Obama" thread you were complaining about him trying to destroy the Constitution. Yet taxes and eminent domain are powers afforded to the government by said Constitution.
#376 Posted by Necrifer (10629 posts) -

LostProphetFLCL

His evaluation of your post was spot-on.

#377 Posted by Abbeten (2803 posts) -

[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]If you don't want to fund government programs....you can opt out. You just have to move somewhere that doesn't require taxes. jimkabrhel

The goverment protects your ability to own land through laws that govern property rights. An individual or company cannot simply squat on your land or destroy your house. 

I really don't get where you get the idea that the government is stealing from you, since the taxes that you do pay go to a goverment that protects the rights that you espouse through laws and services. 

because ideology always trumps practicality always because he is a Philosopher
#378 Posted by Laihendi (5828 posts) -
you're right, the process of moving DOES involve giving all of your possessions to the government without any compensationAbbeten
My family homesteaded this land 150 years ago. They took it, they built a house out of its trees and lived in it, and the government did nothing. The government has no right to tax me for it. The government has no right to force me to sell it. It is mine.
#379 Posted by PannicAtack (21021 posts) -
[QUOTE="Abbeten"]you're right, the process of moving DOES involve giving all of your possessions to the government without any compensationLaihendi
My family homesteaded this land 150 years ago. They took it, they built a house out of its trees and lived in it, and the government did nothing. The government has no right to tax me for it. The government has no right to force me to sell it. It is mine.

Somehow this sounded more inspiring when Charlie Anderson said it.
#380 Posted by Abbeten (2803 posts) -
[QUOTE="Abbeten"]you're right, the process of moving DOES involve giving all of your possessions to the government without any compensationLaihendi

they're not forcing you to sell it. it would be your choice, if you choose to move away from taxation
#381 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150707 posts) -

Laihendi

Everything has a cost associated with it. Your ability/right to own land costs money. Your safety from invasion costs money. Your safety from crime costs money. Etc. I get the impression you want what you want but don't want to contribute to the costs associated with living in society. So yeah...you don't want to shoulder your share of the cost....which would make you a thief.
#382 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17384 posts) -

The government has no right to tax you for it because you don't own it. Stop leaching off of the accomplishments of others.

F'ing collectivist scum always trying to take credit for the work of other individuals. 

#383 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17265 posts) -

Necrifer

His evaluation of your post was spot-on.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQdXzyJffGZLzqxxEv1PGZ.

#384 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150707 posts) -

The government gave you the safety to take the land and not have it taken from you. Are you really this simplistic of a thinker?
#385 Posted by Laihendi (5828 posts) -

[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]If you don't want to fund government programs....you can opt out. You just have to move somewhere that doesn't require taxes. jimkabrhel

The government protects me from other thieves, but there is no one to protect me from the government. The government has a monopoly on theft. The government has a monopoly on property ownership. They claim all land for themselves and grant us the privilege of living on what is rightfully ours, and if we don't pay our taxes they steal it and sell it to someone else.
#386 Posted by RushKing (1771 posts) -

In what way would a socialized healthcare system control me? Ne-Lockean property norms are whats controlling people in this country. All of these right wing "libertarians" keep forgetting the biggest tax of them all, the fruits of your labor the boss extracts from you. People are spending their whole life working for land/capital owners and all you can worry about is welfare recipients? Authority is the biggest threat to liberty and the private sector is the biggest culprit at the moment.

#387 Posted by Abbeten (2803 posts) -
oh i do always enjoy this
#388 Posted by Nuck81 (5846 posts) -

:lol: And what of the people that had settled the land before your family just came and "took it?" If I come to your house and just "Take it" you'd be fine with that?
#389 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17384 posts) -

[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="Abbeten"]you're right, the process of moving DOES involve giving all of your possessions to the government without any compensationNuck81

:lol: And what of the people that had settled the land before your family just came and "took it?" If I come to your house and just "Take it" you'd be fine with that?

Nah man, might makes right*

*unless someone is stronger than me, in that case Mr. government come save me

#390 Posted by Necrifer (10629 posts) -

And what of the people that had settled the land before your family just came and "took it?"

Nuck81

They couldn't stop it from happening, so they deserved to have it taken.

#391 Posted by Guybrush_3 (8308 posts) -

I like lai's style of "If I can't argue the point I will ignore it so it doesn't exist"

#392 Posted by KingKinect (540 posts) -

The government protects me from other thieves, but there is no one to protect me from the government. The government has a monopoly on theft. The government has a monopoly on property ownership. They claim all land for themselves and grant us the privilege of living on what is rightfully ours, and if we don't pay our taxes they steal it and sell it to someone else.Laihendi

Also most other thieves can be persuaded from theft by the ownership of an AR-15 or other weapon of similar deterrent, it may even be enough to deter theft by foreign nations if enough people are self sufficient. When Yamamoto said it would be a bad idea to invade the US he wasn't talking about the military forces of your nation.

#393 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150707 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nuck81"]

And what of the people that had settled the land before your family just came and "took it?"

Necrifer

And since Lai can't stop the government from requiring tax payment.....he deserves to pay them.
#394 Posted by Necrifer (10629 posts) -

[QUOTE="Necrifer"]

[QUOTE="Nuck81"]

LJS9502_basic

And since Lai can't stop the government from requiring tax payment.....he deserves to pay them.

Guess so.

#395 Posted by Abbeten (2803 posts) -

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]The government protects me from other thieves, but there is no one to protect me from the government. The government has a monopoly on theft. The government has a monopoly on property ownership. They claim all land for themselves and grant us the privilege of living on what is rightfully ours, and if we don't pay our taxes they steal it and sell it to someone else.KingKinect

Also most other thieves can be persuaded from theft by the ownership of an AR-15 or other weapon of similar deterrent, it may even be enough to deter theft by foreign nations if enough people are self sufficient. When Yamamoto said it would be a bad idea to invade the US he wasn't talking about the military forces of your nation.

i'm not interested in the first part of your post but the second part is DEFINITELY untrue
#396 Posted by DroidPhysX (17089 posts) -

I like lai's style of "If I can't argue the point I will ignore it so it doesn't exist"

Guybrush_3
True. Dat
#397 Posted by Laihendi (5828 posts) -

[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="Abbeten"]you're right, the process of moving DOES involve giving all of your possessions to the government without any compensationNuck81

You do not seem to understand what homesteading means. My ancestors settled that land and it has been passed down to their descendants for 150 years. It is mine.

#398 Posted by DroidPhysX (17089 posts) -
Lai logic: if you're not born into a wealthy family, fvck you
#399 Posted by Guybrush_3 (8308 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nuck81"][QUOTE="Laihendi"] My family homesteaded this land 150 years ago. They took it, they built a house out of its trees and lived in it, and the government did nothing. The government has no right to tax me for it. The government has no right to force me to sell it. It is mine.Laihendi

You do not seem to understand what homesteading means. My family settled that land and it has been passed down to their descendants for 150 years. It is mine.

You as an individual didn't do anything to earn that land. You just sat on your lazy ass while it was handed to you, you collectivist bastard.