Who would win in a bar fight an MMA fighter or a marine

• 158 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by ad1x2 (5664 posts) -
[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="ad1x2"][QUOTE="thegerg"] "All Marines aren't given super training that is supposed to make them act like John Cena did in the movie The Marine." Of course they're not. What's your point? "All Marines go through Recruit Training on either Parris Island or in California, which teaches them how to work as a team, use a rifle, march, and otherwise get into the mindset needed to eventually go to war." I know how basic training works, but thanks. "A 5'2 female mail clerk isn't going to get the same combat training as a 6'1 Force Recon Marine" Again, of course. Point?

The comment you made about them being trained to kill without weapons was the point. They get trained kill with a rifle and a knife, but that doesn't automatically mean they will be trained to snap people's necks with their bare hands like you implied.

You seem to be very confused. I implied no such thing.

You may not have used those exact words I posted about snapping someone's neck but when one poster said that Marines are trained to killed with weapons you replied and said they are also trained to kill without weapons. I just posted a rebuttal to that statement because your average servicemember isn't trained to kill with their bare hands. Some special ops troops may be trained like that but not all Marines fall under special ops.
#52 Posted by Guybrush_3 (8308 posts) -

Another thing to consider for the people who are putting their money on Marines is if their training is really that advanced why don't they get out of the Marines after their enlistment is up and head to the UFC? They would make more in one or two fights than your average Marines makes in a year.ad1x2

The situations that Marines are trained for don't involve the rules of MMA therefore often aren't useful.

#53 Posted by thegerg (15422 posts) -
[QUOTE="ad1x2"][QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="ad1x2"] The comment you made about them being trained to kill without weapons was the point. They get trained kill with a rifle and a knife, but that doesn't automatically mean they will be trained to snap people's necks with their bare hands like you implied.

You seem to be very confused. I implied no such thing.

You may not have used those exact words I posted about snapping someone's neck but when one poster said that Marines are trained to killed with weapons you replied and said they are also trained to kill without weapons. I just posted a rebuttal to that statement because your average servicemember isn't trained to kill with their bare hands. Some special ops troops may be trained like that but not all Marines fall under special ops.

No one here is saying that all servicemembers are sufficiently trained to be effective killers with their bare hands, but that doesn't change the fact that unarmed training takes place for your average servicemember.
#54 Posted by Kurushio (10485 posts) -
I voted Marine because I don't know if MMA fighters are trained to kill. They are probably trained to kill as well, but, it is hard to know their efficiency on killing.magicalclick
It's really not that hard to kill someone even by accident. Anything to do with the throat easily has the potential to kill someone if they are not careful. A hit too hard to the chest can stop the heart as well. It amazes me how mythologized Marines have become when so many join just so that they can scream they became a "Marine" and then they go off to the bars and basically become frat boys. I applaud any serviceman or woman in any branch, but no branch is really better than the other (even coast guard). Unless they go into one of the more special ops areas, most of what they learn, any civilian can as well. Marine basic would be the hardest basic to go through, but even afterwards they are hardly killing machines. Really i've met quite a few guys that right out of basic they look more like string beans than warriors.
#55 Posted by OrkHammer007 (4751 posts) -

You're in a bar, and that means improvised weapons are in play. In that scenario, the Marine will win. Anyone saying otherwise is crazy.

#56 Posted by thegerg (15422 posts) -

You're in a bar, and that means improvised weapons are in play. In that scenario, the Marine will win. Anyone saying otherwise is crazy.

OrkHammer007
What makes you think that? Professional fighters can't use improvised weapons?
#57 Posted by OrkHammer007 (4751 posts) -

[QUOTE="OrkHammer007"]

thegerg

Professional fighters aren't trained to use improvised weapons. Marines (at least, all of the ones I have known, across several MOSs) are.

#58 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -

[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="OrkHammer007"]

OrkHammer007

Professional fighters aren't trained to use improvised weapons. Marines (at least, all of the ones I have known, across several MOSs) are.

A part of martial arts is also about disarming people. Unless he had a gun (and even then if the MMA fighter was close that loses a lot of its advantage) then he's still got his work cut out for him.
#59 Posted by OrkHammer007 (4751 posts) -

A part of martial arts is also about disarming people.Ace6301
So? Part of learning how to use a weapon is learning how not to get disarmed.

#60 Posted by The_Lipscomb (2194 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ace6301"]A part of martial arts is also about disarming people.OrkHammer007

lol
#61 Posted by thegerg (15422 posts) -

[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="OrkHammer007"]

OrkHammer007

What kind of training do they get? "Hit him with a hard thing"? Yeah, such "training" isn't exactly all that impressive.
#62 Posted by The_Lipscomb (2194 posts) -

How did I know this thread was going to get people butt hurt .. lol

#63 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36824 posts) -

I personally believe that Zyzz would kill anybody in a bar fight if he was still alive.

realistic44
Dem aesthetics
#64 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ace6301"]A part of martial arts is also about disarming people.OrkHammer007

lol
#65 Posted by OrkHammer007 (4751 posts) -

[QUOTE="OrkHammer007"]

[QUOTE="thegerg"] What makes you think that? Professional fighters can't use improvised weapons? thegerg

What kind of training do they get? "Hit him with a hard thing"? Yeah, such "training" isn't exactly all that impressive.

How would you know? Have you actually talked to Marines, or former Marines, or received Marine training? If not, then you really have no idea how "impressive" that training is, do you?

All I ever see from MMA fighters is their uncanny ability to make the most hyped fights on TV turn into a lot of sweaty man-hugging.

On the other hand, I have talked to several Marines, both when I was active-duty Navy (aboard a ship with an at-sea compliment of a Marine expeditionary unit) and afterwards, with individuals I have met at school and at work.

I'll stand by my "improvised weapons training = heavy advantage" statement on that basis.

#66 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36824 posts) -

Gibbs

/thread

#67 Posted by Sutekhie (18 posts) -

The average marine wouldn't fair well against the average MMA fighter because the average marine isn't a killing machine. They are all trained riflemen and have some hand to hand combat training but then a large amount of them go on to non combat jobs where their combat effectiveness drops. The average MMA fighter trains specifically to fight and likes doing so. Not every marine likes fighting and a large amount of them are one enlistment and done. So if you are talking about the average MMA fighter against the average marine then I would say the marine loses at least 7 out of 10 times.

A better question is whether an elite MMA against an elite marine would win. Then I would lean more towards the marine because the elite marines (as with any elite service member in any military branch around the world) are training everyday for unconventional combat and are often battle tested in more stressfull environments than a UFC fight.

#68 Posted by konvikt_17 (22248 posts) -

Lol arguing with thegerg.

#69 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

Lol arguing with thegerg.

konvikt_17

^

#70 Posted by JustSignedUp (1148 posts) -
i wonder who would win in a bar fight anderson silva and jon jones vs two of the best navy seals
#71 Posted by cheese_game619 (13316 posts) -
If Marines were such badass fighters Brian Stann would be undefeated. Just sayin...thegerg
i forgot about this but its as close as we have to answering this question brain stann was a marine captain, awarded with a silver star, obviously very qualified and respected as a marine. he has yet to really beat any top level guys, and is a middle of the pack guy in a somewhat lacking division in the ufc
#72 Posted by cheese_game619 (13316 posts) -
All I ever see from MMA fighters is their uncanny ability to make the most hyped fights on TV turn into a lot of sweaty man-hugging.OrkHammer007
>accuses other of being ignorant of what marines can do >says this about mma fighters yeah nah you're an idiot
#73 Posted by TacticaI (883 posts) -

I'm confused as to why people don't think a good MMA fighter doesn't know how to completely disable/kill someone. A good MMA fighter would destroy a marine. Even a spec op marine would need some sort of advantage like surprise to subdue the fighter. I hate arguments like this, but this is pretty one-sided. 

#74 Posted by Deadpool-n (467 posts) -

A marine though trained to fight for life or death wouldn't win in a fight unless he used weapons he finds around him. In a straight brawl, an mma fighter will win 99% of the time. Provided he doesn't suck at fighting.

#75 Posted by th3warr1or (20640 posts) -
Another thing to consider for the people who are putting their money on Marines is if their training is really that advanced why don't they get out of the Marines after their enlistment is up and head to the UFC? They would make more in one or two fights than your average Marines makes in a year.ad1x2
Because the same tactics that work to kill someone are banned in the UFC.
#76 Posted by cheese_game619 (13316 posts) -
[QUOTE="ad1x2"]Another thing to consider for the people who are putting their money on Marines is if their training is really that advanced why don't they get out of the Marines after their enlistment is up and head to the UFC? They would make more in one or two fights than your average Marines makes in a year.th3warr1or

but do you think the kind of people that make it in the ufc are the kind of guys that were really nice and never got in a fight before in their lives? dont you think maybe some of them came from some pretty rough backgrounds? and i mean really, what are you guys even thinking about when you say this shit? i mean these fvckers have two deadly weapons on the ends of their arms, im not sure what the marine is pulling out to kill them. you think they can just grab the throat of a trained fvcking fighter?
#77 Posted by ad1x2 (5664 posts) -
[QUOTE="ad1x2"]Another thing to consider for the people who are putting their money on Marines is if their training is really that advanced why don't they get out of the Marines after their enlistment is up and head to the UFC? They would make more in one or two fights than your average Marines makes in a year.th3warr1or

Like every single Marine that comes off of Parris Island is trained to kill people with their bare hands. Most Marines may be tough but they aren't gods that could walk into any dojo or arena and wipe the floor with whoever is in there.
#78 Posted by th3warr1or (20640 posts) -

[QUOTE="th3warr1or"][QUOTE="ad1x2"]Another thing to consider for the people who are putting their money on Marines is if their training is really that advanced why don't they get out of the Marines after their enlistment is up and head to the UFC? They would make more in one or two fights than your average Marines makes in a year.ad1x2

Like every single Marine that comes off of Parris Island is trained to kill people with their bare hands. Most Marines may be tough but they aren't gods that could walk into any dojo or arena and wipe the floor with whoever is in there.

Of course not, but I saw some people dropping GSP's name in this thread, so I assumed that we're going for the best UFC fighter and the best Marine.

#79 Posted by cheese_game619 (13316 posts) -
actually the question was pretty general so i think most people assumed an average pro fighter and your average marine gsp isnt the best anyway, there would be plenty of mma guys you would rather bump into over gsp, even if you forget how nice he is
#80 Posted by th3warr1or (20640 posts) -
[QUOTE="cheese_game619"]actually the question was pretty general so i think most people assumed an average pro fighter and your average marine gsp isnt the best anyway, there would be plenty of mma guys you would rather bump into over gsp, even if you forget how nice he is

Well imo, an average UFC > an average marine, but the best of both, I'd pick the marine.
#81 Posted by cheese_game619 (13316 posts) -
what exactly is a marine doing that is getting the better of the pro fighter
#82 Posted by The_Lipscomb (2194 posts) -
what exactly is a marine doing that is getting the better of the pro fightercheese_game619
The only way I can think of it is.. If it's a fist fight with no weapons.. The mma fighter would probably win.. If weapons got involved.. Most likely the marine... He said bar fight.. which would mean weapons could get involved. So I would go with marine.
#83 Posted by OrkHammer007 (4751 posts) -

[QUOTE="OrkHammer007"]All I ever see from MMA fighters is their uncanny ability to make the most hyped fights on TV turn into a lot of sweaty man-hugging.cheese_game619
>accuses other of being ignorant of what marines can do >says this about mma fighters yeah nah you're an idiot

How so? Every MMA fight I see, one guy ends up on his back, while the other guy tries to get him pregnant.

Every. Fvcking. Time.

Meanwhile, it still doesn't matter what these guys can do in the octagon. It's a barfight. No rules. Anything goes, including improvised weapons, which a Marine is trained to do in boot camp. (A simple Google search for "MCMAP training" should suffice.)

You can keep pretending I'm the idiot, but I'm the only one so far who seems to be answering the question posed in the OP.

#84 Posted by sonofsmeagle (4317 posts) -

You guys realise that just because an MMA fighter fights in an environment where certain fight ending techniques are banned doesnt mean he doesnt know how to do them.

For example a simple RNC or Arm triangle that any competant grappler should know is very easy to secure on someone that is not used to defending against them, both of these techniques can be used to kill somebody if the choke is not released in time

For anyone wanting to know what an MMA fighter may know about bar fighting just youtube Bas Rutten's bar fighting, hes by no means a simple MMA fighter but he was never a invicible looking fighter for any part of his career as the likes of Chuck, Anderson, Cro Cop, Fedor ect were.

But when it all comes down to it, the fight is decided by the two people partaking in it, you cant just say average MMA fighter and regular Marine because theres just so many variables you have to consider.

That all being said I go with the MMA fighter, they've devoted their life to beating a man using no weapons where as a marine has not.

#85 Posted by cheese_game619 (13316 posts) -
How so? Every MMA fight I see, one guy ends up on his back, while the other guy tries to get him pregnant.

Every. Fvcking. Time.

Meanwhile, it still doesn't matter what these guys can do in the octagon. It's a barfight. No rules. Anything goes, including improvised weapons, which a Marine is trained to do in boot camp. (A simple Google search for "MCMAP training" should suffice.)

You can keep pretending I'm the idiot, but I'm the only one so far who seems to be answering the question posed in the OP.OrkHammer007

how so? well because ive seen plenty of fights that had very little grappling. you're just showing how ignorant you are about the sport. have you seen a bar fight before outside of the movies? a takedown is a pretty common move, even if you dont know what you're doing. im not sure how you think this thing goes down, but it isnt straight out of a jackie chan movie where he has time to throw shit around. chances are they are right next to each other and it starts with a cheap shot. from there they start swinging and/or wrestling.

#86 Posted by ad1x2 (5664 posts) -

[QUOTE="ad1x2"][QUOTE="th3warr1or"] Because the same tactics that work to kill someone are banned in the UFC. th3warr1or

Of course not, but I saw some people dropping GSP's name in this thread, so I assumed that we're going for the best UFC fighter and the best Marine.

Chances are even the "best" Marine would probably lose a fair fight against the best pound for pound MMA fighter. Marines are mostly trained to fight in a combat zone with firearms and do their MOS while MMA fighters are trained to win fights with their bare hands. I'm not talking out of my ass, while I am not a Marine I worked with enough people in the military to know that you aren't going to be winning any professional fighting tournaments with what you learn during initial entry training.

In all honesty, going by some of the answers in this thread it literally looks like people are thinking the following:

1. People saw the picture of the "Marine" (John Cena) and how tough and "awesome" he was in the movie he played a Marine in.

2. People remembered that Brock Lesnar was at one time a top UFC star.

3. People saw that John Cena beat Brock Lesnar last year.

4. Therefore a Marine (Cena) beat a top UFC fighter (Lesnar), which means Marines can beat MMA fighters.[spoiler] In all seriousness, the OP was too vague to give an honest answer to due to the fact that you have special ops Marines who are built larger than some WWE stars and you have female Marines who are just slightly larger than Snooki and work behind a desk doing administrative work after they finish Recruit Training. On the MMA side you have different weight classes and you have both male and female fighters. It's almost as vague as asking who would win between a WWE wrestler and TNA wrestler in a nonscripted fight without getting more specific. [/spoiler]
#87 Posted by hiphops_savior (7939 posts) -
Depends on who is willing to fight dirty and who gets the jump first. Marines are far more likely to do whatever that is necessary to neutralize a threat. MMA fighters may have more training in pugilist combat, but they're also extremely specialized.
#88 Posted by sukraj (23032 posts) -

Marine

#90 Posted by lamprey263 (24135 posts) -
depends on the Marine, depends on the MMA fighter, I mean maybe the MMA fighter is like the top of their game while the Marine is like some logistics nerd in administration, or maybe the Marine is elite and has extensive hand to hand combat training and the MMA fighter is a total wet behind the ears
#91 Posted by Ricardomz (2329 posts) -

MMA fighter.

#92 Posted by pie-junior (2846 posts) -
I thought this was a pretty asinine question considering the obvious answer, excluding extreme weight class variables or w/e. Then I read the answers. This is what happens when there's this much of a dissonance between the military and the civilian population.
#93 Posted by pie-junior (2846 posts) -
It's like people assume Marines do hand to hand combat everyday all day. Military training involving hand to hand combat is always and at best very secondary, at worst practically nonexistent, and usually subpar.
#94 Posted by thegerg (15422 posts) -

[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="OrkHammer007"]Professional fighters aren't trained to use improvised weapons. Marines (at least, all of the ones I have known, across several MOSs) are.

OrkHammer007

How would you know? Have you actually talked to Marines, or former Marines, or received Marine training? If not, then you really have no idea how "impressive" that training is, do you?

All I ever see from MMA fighters is their uncanny ability to make the most hyped fights on TV turn into a lot of sweaty man-hugging.

On the other hand, I have talked to several Marines, both when I was active-duty Navy (aboard a ship with an at-sea compliment of a Marine expeditionary unit) and afterwards, with individuals I have met at school and at work.

I'll stand by my "improvised weapons training = heavy advantage" statement on that basis.

Yes, I have talked to Marines.
#95 Posted by thegerg (15422 posts) -

No, they're not. You seem to be very confused. Things like kicking people in the head and choking are not illegal. These are the types of things that kill people.

#96 Posted by Renevent42 (5326 posts) -

I'm a military guy and love the armed forces...but this isn't even a competition. A MMA fighter trains all day everyday for this kind of fighting. A marine, while well trained, doesn't focus anywhere near as much time on hand to hand combat. Even more, MMA fighters actually go full bore when they fight in cage matches so they get plenty of actual experience.

For hand to hand fighting your average MMA fighter's training completely outclasses that of your average Marine.  It's not even close.

#97 Posted by comp_atkins (31473 posts) -
mma fighter... for starters they likely have been in many many many more actual fights than your run of the mill marine. training or not.
#98 Posted by gago-gago (9535 posts) -
There's marines that trains hand to hand combat which includes a form of mma. If the two males are the same height and weight and build and the only difference is fighting style, I'll go with the marine. If they were female and one is Ronda Rousey, I'll go with Rousey by armbar. So it really depends on which marine and which mma fighter.
#99 Posted by GrayF0X786 (3862 posts) -

Which one is Irish?

THE_DRUGGIE

LOL

#100 Posted by Wasdie (50001 posts) -

The MMA fighter. Marines are given a lot of hand to hand combat training but they are primarily tough to fight with rifles and as a team. A lone marine isn't some one man killing machine. A professional MMA fighter would rip the average marine up. The marines do have their own version of MMA so to say. A buddy of mine participated in it, he had some interesting stories of some pretty strong marines. One of those guys could give a professional MMA fighter a run for his money.