Who will win the Debate Mitt Romney or Barrack Obama?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#401 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

The mob choosing leaders instead of choosing policies directly doesn't make a democratic republic exempt from the problems of democracy. The mob is the mob. While limitations on the power of mob rule is preferable, the authoritarian nature of democracy is present regardless. The only places where democratic countrieshave freedoms is where those freedoms are guaranteed, and can't be taken away by the mob or those the mob chooses to lead.Rhazakna

And that is the flaw of our democratic features, and what the founders warned against. was it Washington who said that tyranny would come to this country through the guise of a foreign war? Which ever founder that was was genuinely onto something, holy s**t.

flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#402 flazzle
Member since 2007 • 6507 Posts

Only watched the last 20 minutes or so of the debate, but from what I watched, speaking as a liberal, Mitt won. Obama seemed disinterested, and in particular, I do not like how he constantly held his head down when Mitt spoke. He looked like a school kid being lecture by his teacher, or something.

Mitt, on the other hand, clearly seemed more energetic, and was much better about keeping eye level with Obama.

Blue_Shield

You should have seen the first 20 minutes. It was like Mitt was driving an SUV with his high-beams on, and Obama was the deer.

Obama actually got better near the end.

It wasn't pretty.

Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#403 Rhazakna
Member since 2004 • 11022 Posts

[QUOTE="Rhazakna"]The mob choosing leaders instead of choosing policies directly doesn't make a democratic republic exempt from the problems of democracy. The mob is the mob. While limitations on the power of mob rule is preferable, the authoritarian nature of democracy is present regardless. The only places where democratic countrieshave freedoms is where those freedoms are guaranteed, and can't be taken away by the mob or those the mob chooses to lead.organic_machine

And that is the flaw of our democratic features, and what the founders warned against. was it Washington who said that tyranny would come to this country through the guise of a foreign war? Which ever founder that was was genuinely onto something, holy s**t.

That depends on which founder you're talking about. Some of the founders opposed the Bill of Rights, so not all of them were in favor of having rights being immutable and impossible to take away by voters or politicians. The Constitution itself was an expansion of state power, and a weak document when it comes to truly limiting the state, as we now see over 200 years after it was written.
dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#404 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts

[QUOTE="VendettaRed07"]

Honestly haven't been paying attention to politics at all these last few years, because I hate the media and I don't trust anything they report about politics. I just got tired of all the lying misinterprating and stupid people ranting about stuff they don't even understand.

I was going to vote for Obama by default really because I feel like America at the very least has been calmer ever since Obama came into office and there isn't this consistant outrage by everyone like there was when Bush was president and I really don't wanna go through anything like that again..I knew little to nothing about Romney other than the fact that he said some things that democrats had a problem with I guess.

However I just watched the debate and what I got from it was that Romney made sense, Obama didn't. I was impressed. I think I may vote for him now, but I dunno.

Person0

And Romney lying or changing his position on most things for the debate is working!

That's what scares me. When I think Republican, I think of Bush and I really don't want that again. Romney seems very snake like, always changing view points and not holding on to anything firm. That to me is a red flag.

cslayer211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#405 cslayer211
Member since 2012 • 797 Posts

[QUOTE="Person0"][QUOTE="VendettaRed07"]

Honestly haven't been paying attention to politics at all these last few years, because I hate the media and I don't trust anything they report about politics. I just got tired of all the lying misinterprating and stupid people ranting about stuff they don't even understand.

I was going to vote for Obama by default really because I feel like America at the very least has been calmer ever since Obama came into office and there isn't this consistant outrage by everyone like there was when Bush was president and I really don't wanna go through anything like that again..I knew little to nothing about Romney other than the fact that he said some things that democrats had a problem with I guess.

However I just watched the debate and what I got from it was that Romney made sense, Obama didn't. I was impressed. I think I may vote for him now, but I dunno.

dream431ca

And Romney lying or changing his position on most things for the debate is working!

That's what scares me. When I think Republican, I think of Bush and I really don't want that again. Romney seems very snake like, always changing view points and not holding on to anything firm. That to me is a red flag.

Please don't tell me you think Romney is going to be like Bush. Romney has constantly showed that he is personally more left than right, he just says conservative things to appeal to his base. I think if elected, he will take a hint at what being so partisan does to you going by past and current presidents, and would work with Republicans and Democrats just like he did in Massachusetts.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#406 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

[QUOTE="Person0"][QUOTE="Rhazakna"] My god, you sure are one sided. "Obama didn't perform badly, he was just confused and didn't know how to answer because Romney's just such a dishonest meanie!" It would physically hurt me to be as partisan, inconsistent and anti-intellectual as you.Rhazakna
What Romney put on a good show i agree he looked confident while Obama looked distracted and bored, but what Romney actually said was full of lies and inconsistencies with past polices/ideas.

Yeah, and Obama didn't govern anything like what he campaigned on You seem to be unfamiliar with just what it is that these guys do for a living,

That's a false equivalency between Obama and Romney. Not all politicians are "equally" dishonest. Romney tonight appeared to change positions on issues that he has held throughout the campaign, and that's something that he's been doing for a while now - he says something in an interview or in a speech (and now in the debate) that is in direct contradiction with what his official position is on any given issue, and after those interviews and speechs (and I wouldn't be surprised if this happens after the debate as well) he has his campaign release a statement essentially stating that Romney doesn't actually believe what he had just said. All politicians spin the truth to some extent, but the Romney campaign is amazing in the sense that it doesn't even try to engage facts at all.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#407 -Sun_Tzu-
[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

[QUOTE="Person0"] And Romney lying or changing his position on most things for the debate is working!cslayer211

Please don't tell me you think Romney is going to be like Bush. Romney has constantly showed that he is personally more left than right, he just says conservative things to appeal to his base. I think if elected, he will take a hint at what being so partisan does to you going by past and current presidents, and would work with Republicans and Democrats just like he did in Massachusetts.

And yet most of his advisors are from the Bush Administration and his running mate was one of the administration's most reliable votes.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#408 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
[QUOTE="cslayer211"] Romney has constantly showed that he is personally more left than right

Oh god I'm laughing so hard now.
dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#409 dream431ca

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

[QUOTE="Person0"] And Romney lying or changing his position on most things for the debate is working!cslayer211

No I never said Romney would be like Bush. What I meant was after Bush, the Republicans were tainted for me personally. It's hard for me to trust any of them after Bush. Obama is a little better, but nothing has really changed that much.

cslayer211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#410 cslayer211
[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="cslayer211"] Romney has constantly showed that he is personally more left than right

Personally more left, but in terms of what his policy will be, more right obviously.
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#411 organic_machine

[QUOTE="cslayer211"] Romney has constantly showed that he is personally more left than rightAce6301

Again, based on polls, this election is base vs. base. It has been from the beginning. Romney's ultra conservatism is an act. We don't actually know what he believes since he's changed his mind conveniently on every F***ing issue.

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#412 dream431ca

Do any of you know how close the campaign is between these 2? is it really close or is Obama on a roll?

Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#413 Rhazakna

[QUOTE="Rhazakna"][QUOTE="Person0"] What Romney put on a good show i agree he looked confident while Obama looked distracted and bored, but what Romney actually said was full of lies and inconsistencies with past polices/ideas.-Sun_Tzu-

Yeah, and Obama didn't govern anything like what he campaigned on You seem to be unfamiliar with just what it is that these guys do for a living,

That's a false equivalency between Obama and Romney. Not all politicians are "equally" dishonest. Romney tonight appeared to change positions on issues that he has held throughout the campaign, and that's something that he's been doing for a while now - he says something in an interview or in a speech (and now in the debate) that is in direct contradiction with what his official position is on any given issue, and after those interviews and speechs (and I wouldn't be surprised if this happens after the debate as well) he has his campaign release a statement essentially stating that Romney doesn't actually believe what he had just said. All politicians spin the truth to some extent, but the Romney campaign is amazing in the sense that it doesn't even try to engage facts at all.

I'm not saying that all politicians are equally dishonest, or even that Obama and Romney are equal in that regard. Romney has no real political principles and will go wherever the wind blows. I was saying that Romney's dishonesty didn't cost him the debate, that dishonesty in debates is not unique, and that Obama's bad performance can't somehow be blamed by Romney's flip-flopping.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#414 Ace6301

[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="cslayer211"] Romney has constantly showed that he is personally more left than rightorganic_machine

Again, based on polls, this election is base vs. base. It has been from the beginning. Romney's ultra conservatism is an act. We don't actually know what he believes since he's changed his mind conveniently on every F***ing issue.

Even at his most left Romney is not more left than right. I don't really believe anymore that Romney really has any hard believed in things other than the whole God living on a planet somewhere in space thing. On that note maybe he'd give some damn funding back to NASA even if it is just to find God.
Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#415 Rhazakna

Do any of you know how close the campaign is between these 2? is it really close or is Obama on a roll?

dream431ca
The momentum is now starting to swing Romney's way for the first time in a long time it seems, bu that could change at any moment. Even if Romney has momentum on his side, Obama could very easily still win.
cslayer211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#416 cslayer211

[QUOTE="cslayer211"][QUOTE="dream431ca"]

dream431ca

No I never said Romney would be like Bush. What I meant was after Bush, the Republicans were tainted for me personally. It's hard for me to trust any of them after Bush. Obama is a little better, but nothing has really changed that much.

Obama is Bush 2.0, I don't think Romney will be Bush 3.0 based on he is a moderate, going by his Massachusetts record.
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#417 organic_machine

Even at his most left Romney is not more left than right. I don't really believe anymore that Romney really has any hard believed in things other than the whole God living on a planet somewhere in space thing. On that note maybe he'd give some damn funding back to NASA even if it is just to find God.Ace6301

All we can do is look at his job as governor. Look at the democrat state, and look at the healthcare bill he passed. The fact he managed to work with democrats at all on a controversial issues (to Republicans that is), means that he *can* lean to the left.

He can negotiate.

Which cannot be said of Obama. Again, not voting for Romney. But I can understand the argument that Romney leans left. He's lying through his teeth with this "true conservative" act.

killa4lyfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#418 killa4lyfe
Member since 2008 • 3849 Posts
Romney easily won the debate. He was always on the offensive and seemed very sure of what he was talking about (even though, as always with politicians, they were half truths). Whether I agree with him or not is a completely other question though. :x
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#419 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
.....I think if Obama was Bush 2.0, we'd be in war against Iran right now. That is all I have to say.....:P
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#420 Ace6301

[QUOTE="Ace6301"]Even at his most left Romney is not more left than right. I don't really believe anymore that Romney really has any hard believed in things other than the whole God living on a planet somewhere in space thing. On that note maybe he'd give some damn funding back to NASA even if it is just to find God.organic_machine

All we can do is look at his job as governor. Look at the democrat state, and look at the healthcare bill he passed. The fact he managed to work with democrats at all on a controversial issues (to Republicans that is), means that he *can* lean to the left.

He can negotiate.

Which cannot be said of Obama. Again, not voting for Romney. But I can understand the argument that Romney leans left. He's lying through his teeth with this "true conservative" act.

As I said I don't think Romney has beliefs. I think he's willing to do whatever benefits him the most, that isn't exactly a trait that is desired in a candidate. The heritage foundation drafted the ideas for these healthcare plans which are more centrist than many policies they would ever desire but lean more right than left. Obama is capable of negotiation as well, he's tried in the past. Obamacare was a a negotiation and in fact the Republicans got quite a bit of what they wanted in it. However the Republican congress doesn't want anything to do with Obama and wont vote on things that they want to pass because it's been brought up by him. If Romney starts acting in ways that they dislike they'll lock him out just like they have Obama, party name or not. Romney also has an anchor to the ultra conservative side of things, his VP hopeful Ryan.
Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#421 Rhazakna

[QUOTE="Ace6301"]Even at his most left Romney is not more left than right. I don't really believe anymore that Romney really has any hard believed in things other than the whole God living on a planet somewhere in space thing. On that note maybe he'd give some damn funding back to NASA even if it is just to find God.organic_machine

He can negotiate.

Romney is an empty suit that will do whatever is most politically advantageous. Ma. is a blue state, so he had many left-friendly policies. He had to get the conservatives on his side, so he was reborn as a libertarian leaning conservative. Now the base has no choice, so he's softening his newfound right wing ideology.
killa4lyfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#422 killa4lyfe
Member since 2008 • 3849 Posts

[QUOTE="organic_machine"]

[QUOTE="Ace6301"] Oh god I'm laughing so hard now.Ace6301

Even at his most left Romney is not more left than right. I don't really believe anymore that Romney really has any hard believed in things other than the whole God living on a planet somewhere in space thing. On that note maybe he'd give some damn funding back to NASA even if it is just to find God.

Doubt it. Last I remember, Romney/Ryan apparently want more clear/precise goals for NASA rather than more funding. Not to mention, I am sure Romney will cut anything that isn't Defense spending when he/if gets into office.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#423 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]

[QUOTE="Rhazakna"] Yeah, and Obama didn't govern anything like what he campaigned on You seem to be unfamiliar with just what it is that these guys do for a living,Rhazakna

I'm not saying that all politicians are equally dishonest, or even that Obama and Romney are equal in that regard. Romney has no real political principles and will go wherever the wind blows. I was saying that Romney's dishonesty didn't cost him the debate, that dishonesty in debates is not unique, and that Obama's bad performance can't somehow be blamed by Romney's flip-flopping.

I would blame Obama's bad performance in part to Romney's flip-flopping, or rather I would credit the Romney strategy of being vague and constant flip-flopping for Obama's bad performance. Romney has made the calculation that he can say whatever he wants in interviews, speech's and debates when it comes to specifics on taxes, financial regulation, health care, ect, and that it ultimately won't cost him the election.

Not only is that very hard to prepare against (because who knows what he's going to say), but I think to most voters, when his bullsh!t is juxtaposed with Obama's policies on the debate stage, he comes off just as credible and specific as the president if not more, because most voters don't understand the actual specifics behind these issues. To quote Proverbs 26:4, "Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him." Due to Leher's complete inability to establish a reality-based paradigm for the candidates to argue within, Romney was able to get the President to engage him within his alternative reality.

Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#424 Rhazakna

[QUOTE="Ace6301"]Even at his most left Romney is not more left than right. I don't really believe anymore that Romney really has any hard believed in things other than the whole God living on a planet somewhere in space thing. On that note maybe he'd give some damn funding back to NASA even if it is just to find God.Ace6301

He can negotiate.

As I said I don't think Romney has beliefs. I think he's willing to do whatever benefits him the most, that isn't exactly a trait that is desired in a candidate. The heritage foundation drafted the ideas for these healthcare plans which are more centrist than many policies they would ever desire but lean more right than left. Obama is capable of negotiation as well, he's tried in the past. Obamacare was a a negotiation and in fact the Republicans got quite a bit of what they wanted in it. However the Republican congress doesn't want anything to do with Obama and wont vote on things that they want to pass because it's been brought up by him. If Romney starts acting in ways that they dislike they'll lock him out just like they have Obama, party name or not. Romney also has an anchor to the ultra conservative side of things, his VP hopeful Ryan.

Having no political principles is better than sticking to bad political principles, like Santorum. In fact, I would say that in the political landscape the way it is, someone without principles is usually preferable to staunch liberalism or conservatism (as we understand those ideas today, that is).
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#425 organic_machine

As I said I don't think Romney has beliefs. I think he's willing to do whatever benefits him the most, that isn't exactly a trait that is desired in a candidate. The heritage foundation drafted the ideas for these healthcare plans which are more centrist than many policies they would ever desire but lean more right than left. Obama is capable of negotiation as well, he's tried in the past. Obamacare was a a negotiation and in fact the Republicans got quite a bit of what they wanted in it. However the Republican congress doesn't want anything to do with Obama and wont vote on things that they want to pass because it's been brought up by him. If Romney starts acting in ways that they dislike they'll lock him out just like they have Obama, party name or not. Romney also has an anchor to the ultra conservative side of things, his VP hopeful Ryan.Ace6301

I don't think Romney has beliefs either.

Saying Obama's capable of negotiation, and that he's tried are different statements. He's tried, sure, but he's failed. You then say, well republicans, republicans will reject him blah blah blah!

But somehow, Clinton got down and dirty and managed to negotiate and work with Republicans. Obama can't. That's a fact at this point. Romney HAS at one point worked with deomocrats.

Now, will he work with them again? I don't know. He might not. You're right, we don't KNOW what the hell he believes.

But history has a tendency to repeat itself. So Obama's failure to get Republican support and Romney's success at getting democrat and republican support really seems to lend credibility to Romney. Maybe Obama will do a great job next term, I don't know. But history repeats itself.

Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#426 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts

[QUOTE="Blue_Shield"]

Only watched the last 20 minutes or so of the debate, but from what I watched, speaking as a liberal, Mitt won. Obama seemed disinterested, and in particular, I do not like how he constantly held his head down when Mitt spoke. He looked like a school kid being lecture by his teacher, or something.

Mitt, on the other hand, clearly seemed more energetic, and was much better about keeping eye level with Obama.

flazzle

You should have seen the first 20 minutes. It was like Mitt was driving an SUV with his high-beams on, and Obama was the deer.

Obama actually got better near the end.

It wasn't pretty.

I agree. Obama picked up steam half way through.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#427 Ace6301
[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="organic_machine"]

He can negotiate.

Rhazakna

Having no political principles is better than sticking to bad political principles, like Santorum. In fact, I would say that in the political landscape the way it is, someone without principles is usually preferable to staunch liberalism or conservatism (as we understand those ideas today, that is).

I didn't say having no political principles was the inherently bad part. I said the selfishness of that was the negative. A man who is running a country and only cares for his own advancement isn't looking out for the best of everyone. But yes standing staunchly behind bad ideas is in its self a bad idea.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#428 Ace6301

[QUOTE="Ace6301"]As I said I don't think Romney has beliefs. I think he's willing to do whatever benefits him the most, that isn't exactly a trait that is desired in a candidate. The heritage foundation drafted the ideas for these healthcare plans which are more centrist than many policies they would ever desire but lean more right than left. Obama is capable of negotiation as well, he's tried in the past. Obamacare was a a negotiation and in fact the Republicans got quite a bit of what they wanted in it. However the Republican congress doesn't want anything to do with Obama and wont vote on things that they want to pass because it's been brought up by him. If Romney starts acting in ways that they dislike they'll lock him out just like they have Obama, party name or not. Romney also has an anchor to the ultra conservative side of things, his VP hopeful Ryan.organic_machine

Saying Obama's capable of negotiation, and that he's tried are different statements. He's tried, sure, but he's failed. You then say, well republicans, republicans will reject him blah blah blah!

But somehow, Clinton got down and dirty and managed to negotiate and work with Republicans. Obama can't. That's a fact at this point. Romney HAS at one point worked with deomocrats.

Now, will he work with them again? I don't know. He might not. You're right, we don't KNOW what the hell he believes.

But history has a tendency to repeat itself. So Obama's failure to get Republican support and Romney's success at getting democrat and republican support really seems to lend credibility to Romney. Maybe Obama will do a great job next term, I don't know. But history repeats itself.

Clinton worked with the Republicans when they were sane. The Republican party of even 5 years ago is a very different thing than it is now. The current Republican party has no interest in getting things done unless it's getting it's way 100%. As such Romney will either be shut out by the dems for being too far right or being shut out by the Republicans for being a traitor. Congress is a larger issue than presidency at the moment as they're a bunch of useless c*nts who couldn't get anything done if their lives depended on it.
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#429 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

organic_machine

The republicans in congress during Clintons term were very different from those during Obamas. The Republican leader in the senate didnt say their number 1 goal was for the president to fail, for example.

DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#430 DevilMightCry
Member since 2007 • 3554 Posts
I very much prefer Republicans of today. It's the democrats that changed for the worse. Republicans of the last decade spent way too much.
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#431 organic_machine

[Clinton worked with the Republicans when they were sane. The Republican party of even 5 years ago is a very different thing than it is now. The current Republican party has no interest in getting things done unless it's getting it's way 100%. As such Romney will either be shut out by the dems for being too far right or being shut out by the Republicans for being a traitor. Congress is a larger issue than presidency at the moment as they're a bunch of useless c*nts who couldn't get anything done if their lives depended on it.Ace6301

Come on, that's rediculous. It's the same s**t people have been spouting about the opposing parties for years. I agree things have changed somewhat, but for BOTH sides. S**t got massively messed up since 9/11. BOTH Republicans and Democrats supported NDAA and expansion of unconstituional war, for example.

BOTH parties are useless at this point. I agree. But to say that Democrats and Republicans cannot work together is rediculous and is incredibly semantic and there's simply no factual basis in it. There has been a lot R & Ds agreement in these last four years. Obama is just terrible at getting both to see his way. That is a fact. Romney may or may not be terrible at it. Hell, it's likely he might be. But you've gone a bit overboard here.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#432 -Sun_Tzu-

somehow, Clinton got down and dirty and managed to negotiate and work with Republicans. Obama can't.

organic_machine

That's because Clinton almost completely capitulated to the GOP with Dick Morris' strategy of triangulation, and in doing so abandoned pretty much everything that he was elected to do and what the democratic party had stood for.

What's the domestic legacy of the Clinton administration? NAFTA, DADT, DOMA, welfare reform, and the .com bubble. That was not what a Clinton administration was suppose to look like to a democratic voter back in 1992. The election of Clinton was suppose to be the end of the Reagan era, instead it was a continuation of it.

Obama hasn't triangulated in the way that Clinton did to maintain power in the 90's. Like Clinton, he campaigned on things like health care reform and ending discrimination in the military. Unlike Clinton, he's actually done these things while in office.

And this fetish with bipartisanship is annoying. What's the point of having two parties (as similar as they may be, there are still meaningful differences between the two) if they're suppose to agree and compromise on every issue with each other?

organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#433 organic_machine

The election of Clinton was suppose to be the end of the Reagan era, instead it was a continuation of it.-Sun_Tzu-

You bring up an interesting point. It seems for a while now that each president has been a bigger version of their previous. Bush continued where Clinton's foreign policy left off. Obama expands on Bush's. Whoever comes after Obama, I think, will surely be even worse than all combined in terms of war mongering and eroding civil liberties.

It's a genuinely disturbing trend. BOTH Bush and Obama ran as anti war canidates. Then, when taking office, do the opposite. Just what the hell goes on in the Oval office? What convinces these men to change their minds?

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#434 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts
I don't like either nor will be voting for either but Romney schooled Obama tonight.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#435 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]The election of Clinton was suppose to be the end of the Reagan era, instead it was a continuation of it.organic_machine

You bring up an interesting point. It seems for a while now that each president has been a bigger version of their previous. Bush continued where Clinton's foreign policy left off. Obama expands on Bush's. Whoever comes after Obama, I think, will surely be even worse than all combined in terms of war mongering and eroding civil liberties.

It's a genuinely disturbing trend. BOTH Bush and Obama ran as anti war canidates. Then, when taking office, do the opposite. Just what the hell goes on in the Oval office? What convinces these men to change their minds?

Well Obama didn't exactly run as an anti-war candidate. A lot of anti-war liberals certainly were hoping he would be that, but he ran on things like building up the war in Afghanistan and ignoring Pakistan's sovereignty if necessary when going after high-level terrorists. But you are right in the sense that he has been about as much of a civil libertarian as Bush was.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#436 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]The election of Clinton was suppose to be the end of the Reagan era, instead it was a continuation of it.-Sun_Tzu-

Well Obama didn't exactly run as an anti-war candidate. A lot of anti-war liberals certainly were hoping he would be that, but he ran on things like building up the war in Afghanistan and ignoring Pakistan's sovereignty if necessary when going after high-level terrorists. But you are right in the sense that he has been about as much of a civil libertarian as Bush was.

I agree. Obama didn't run as anti-war but he did run with good war (Afghanistan) and bad war (Iraq).
Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#437 Rhazakna

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]The election of Clinton was suppose to be the end of the Reagan era, instead it was a continuation of it.-Sun_Tzu-

Very true, but he did run as a candidate that wanted a shift in philosophy from the Bush Doctrine and neoconservative foreign policy.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#438 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]

Rhazakna

Very true, but he did run as a candidate that wanted a shift in philosophy from the Bush Doctrine and neoconservative foreign policy.

I would say there has been a shift, maybe not so much from neoconservatism as it is understood as a political ideology (which is basically just center-right liberal interventionism), but while the two administrations share the same broad objective of democracy promotion, there is a pretty big tactical difference between the foreign policies. The Bush administration completely disregarded multilateralism, whereas Obama has embraced it almost to a fault. It's hard to imagine Bush dealing with Libya and Syria the same way Obama has.

There are also some pretty notable differences when it comes to South Asia. Bush did a lot to improve relations with India (something that's controversial in the region when we're at war in Afghanistan), whereas Obama has become much more dependent on Pakistan. I also don't know how Bush would've dealt with Pakistan's sovereignty when it comes to going after Bin Laden and other high-value terrorists. McCain was very critical for Obama's position on that issue in 2008.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#439 KC_Hokie
I hate neo-cons. Make me puke.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#440 Ace6301

[QUOTE="Ace6301"]Clinton worked with the Republicans when they were sane. The Republican party of even 5 years ago is a very different thing than it is now. The current Republican party has no interest in getting things done unless it's getting it's way 100%. As such Romney will either be shut out by the dems for being too far right or being shut out by the Republicans for being a traitor. Congress is a larger issue than presidency at the moment as they're a bunch of useless c*nts who couldn't get anything done if their lives depended on it.organic_machine

Come on, that's rediculous. It's the same s**t people have been spouting about the opposing parties for years. I agree things have changed somewhat, but for BOTH sides. S**t got massively messed up since 9/11. BOTH Republicans and Democrats supported NDAA and expansion of unconstituional war, for example.

BOTH parties are useless at this point. I agree. But to say that Democrats and Republicans cannot work together is rediculous and is incredibly semantic and there's simply no factual basis in it. There has been a lot R & Ds agreement in these last four years. Obama is just terrible at getting both to see his way. That is a fact. Romney may or may not be terrible at it. Hell, it's likely he might be. But you've gone a bit overboard here.

So rather than putting forth an argument you've just said it's ridiculous and then went onto something completely different. Do you not think that the Republicans are currently quite a bit more extreme than they used to be? Look at Reagan, that guy they practically worship. He did many, many things that they show absolute disgust toward, they've gone off the rails. How am I arguing semantics at all, do you know what that word means? Obama is terrible at getting both to see his way because one party has outright stated they will not co-operate with him and that their primary goal is making sure he's a one term president. Look at Obamacare. They pretty much gave the republicans exactly what they demanded. Then no Republicans voted for it.
Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#441 Rhazakna

[QUOTE="Rhazakna"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] Well Obama didn't exactly run as an anti-war candidate. A lot of anti-war liberals certainly were hoping he would be that, but he ran on things like building up the war in Afghanistan and ignoring Pakistan's sovereignty if necessary when going after high-level terrorists. But you are right in the sense that he has been about as much of a civil libertarian as Bush was.

-Sun_Tzu-

I would say there has been a shift, maybe not so much from neoconservatism as it is understood as a political ideology (which is basically just center-right liberal interventionism), but while the two administrations share the same broad objective of democracy promotion, there is a pretty big tactical difference between the foreign policies. The Bush administration completely disregarded multilateralism, whereas Obama has embraced it almost to a fault. It's hard to imagine Bush dealing with Libya and Syria the same way Obama has.

There are also some pretty notable differences when it comes to South Asia. Bush did a lot to improve relations with India (something that's controversial in the region when we're at war in Afghanistan), whereas Obama has become much more dependent on Pakistan. I also don't know how Bush would've dealt with Pakistan's sovereignty when it comes to going after Bin Laden and other high-value terrorists. McCain was very critical for Obama's position on that issue in 2008.

That's not a philosophical shift (as you say yourself), it's the same philosophy with different priorities and logistics. Obama didn't campaign on "like Bush, but somewhat different in some respects", he campaigned on him having a significantly different ideology in foreign policy. I don't think Obama's liberal base liked his foreign policy in '08 because they thought it was going to be multilateral neoconservatism as opposed to unilateral neoconservatism.
limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#442 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts
Bill Clinton is becoming the new Reagan.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#443 -Sun_Tzu-
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]

[QUOTE="Rhazakna"] Very true, but he did run as a candidate that wanted a shift in philosophy from the Bush Doctrine and neoconservative foreign policy.Rhazakna

That's not a philosophical shift (as you say yourself), it's the same philosophy with different priorities and logistics. Obama didn't campaign on "like Bush, but somewhat different in some respects", he campaigned on him having a significantly different ideology in foreign policy. I don't think Obama's liberal base liked his foreign policy in '08 because they thought it was going to be multilateral neoconservatism as opposed to unilateral neoconservatism.

Obama never campaigned on having a drastically different ideology on foreign affairs. The MoveOn crowd might've been expecting that, but if they did they hadn't been listening to what Obama was saying. Liberal interventionism has been one of the staples of the democratic party since Woodrow Wilson, and Obama is a part of that consensus within the party. Democrats have gotten the US involved in every major war that the country had engaged in post-WWII, aside from the Gulf War. It's the GOP that has changed on foreign policy. This is not Henry Kissinger's Republican party anymore when it comes to foreign affairs, it's ex-trotskyite Irving Kristol's.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#444 KC_Hokie
[QUOTE="Rhazakna"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] I would say there has been a shift, maybe not so much from neoconservatism as it is understood as a political ideology (which is basically just center-right liberal interventionism), but while the two administrations share the same broad objective of democracy promotion, there is a pretty big tactical difference between the foreign policies. The Bush administration completely disregarded multilateralism, whereas Obama has embraced it almost to a fault. It's hard to imagine Bush dealing with Libya and Syria the same way Obama has.

-Sun_Tzu-

Obama never campaigned on having a drastically different ideology on foreign affairs. The MoveOn crowd might've been expecting that, but if they did they hadn't been listening to what Obama was saying. Liberal interventionism has been one of the staples of the democratic party since Woodrow Wilson, and Obama is a part of that consensus within the party. Democrats have gotten the US involved in every major war that the country had engaged in post-WWII, aside from the Gulf War. It's the GOP that has changed on foreign policy. This is not Henry Kissinger's Republican party anymore when it comes to foreign affairs, it's ex-trotskyite Irving Kristol's.

He did campaign on Afghanistan being the 'good' war and shutting down GITMO. Safe to say he failed on each.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#445 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

[QUOTE="Ace6301"]Clinton worked with the Republicans when they were sane. The Republican party of even 5 years ago is a very different thing than it is now. The current Republican party has no interest in getting things done unless it's getting it's way 100%. As such Romney will either be shut out by the dems for being too far right or being shut out by the Republicans for being a traitor. Congress is a larger issue than presidency at the moment as they're a bunch of useless c*nts who couldn't get anything done if their lives depended on it.Ace6301

So rather than putting forth an argument you've just said it's ridiculous and then went onto something completely different. Do you not think that the Republicans are currently quite a bit more extreme than they used to be? Look at Reagan, that guy they practically worship. He did many, many things that they show absolute disgust toward, they've gone off the rails. How am I arguing semantics at all, do you know what that word means? Obama is terrible at getting both to see his way because one party has outright stated they will not co-operate with him and that their primary goal is making sure he's a one term president. Look at Obamacare. They pretty much gave the republicans exactly what they demanded. Then no Republicans voted for it.

One of the more bewildering things to me is that more people don't see this. Even Republicans that didn't outright state that there main goal was to make Obama a one term president still all have actions that point directly to that conclusion.

Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#446 Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts

Obama is used to his friends on - The View, Ellen, Letterman, ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, NPR, CNN, CNN Headline, MSNBC, BET, MTV, VH1, the Comedy Channel, and the Stepford wife liberal voters that get their "news" from these organizations, all kissing his arse.

Last night, for the first time in 4 years, his pathetic record was challenged. He had no idea how to handle it.

EasyStreet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#447 EasyStreet
Member since 2003 • 11672 Posts

The question for republicans do you what you are getting with Willard?

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#448 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Obama is used to his friends on - The View, Ellen, Letterman, ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, NPR, CNN, CNN Headline, MSNBC, BET, MTV, VH1, the Comedy Channel, and the Stepford wife liberal voters that get their "news" from these organizations, all kissing his arse.

Last night, for the first time in 4 years, his pathetic record was challenged. He had no idea how to handle it.

Born_Lucky
Please tell me your joking, he has been challenged non stop since he first got into office to which people even refused to acknowledge him as a president with the whole birther movement..
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#449 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41528 Posts

Even Michelle Obama is disappointed.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#450 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="Ace6301"]As I said I don't think Romney has beliefs. I think he's willing to do whatever benefits him the most, that isn't exactly a trait that is desired in a candidate. The heritage foundation drafted the ideas for these healthcare plans which are more centrist than many policies they would ever desire but lean more right than left. Obama is capable of negotiation as well, he's tried in the past. Obamacare was a a negotiation and in fact the Republicans got quite a bit of what they wanted in it. However the Republican congress doesn't want anything to do with Obama and wont vote on things that they want to pass because it's been brought up by him. If Romney starts acting in ways that they dislike they'll lock him out just like they have Obama, party name or not. Romney also has an anchor to the ultra conservative side of things, his VP hopeful Ryan.organic_machine

That is hardly Obama's fault, Clinton didn't have a house majority leader saying that their goal was to get him out of office.. This is not even the same.. The Republicans in these past 10 years have become batsh!t crazy and have been hijacked by the tea party.. This is not the same Republican party in office than the one during the 90s..