Who's seeing The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug?

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Edited by airshocker (29352 posts) -
@dave123321 said:

just saw the new hobbit movie and it was absolutely terrible. despite turning a moderately long children's novel into 3 epic-lengthed films peter jackson has somehow managed to cut out pretty much all of the book's most memorable scenes and instead what is presented is hours of moronic filler material. all the wit and humour from the book is gone and replaced with imbecilic "lol derp" faces and other comparable gags (again with fucking radagast and the fucking bird shit in his hair jesus fucking christ he is a fucking wizard and he has bird shit in his hair and he is on fucking mushrooms this is fucking stupid).

and then he fucking shoehorns legolas into like half the fucking movie even though he adds nothing to the plot and is just there as fanservice. and that stupid elf woman doesn't add anything to the plot either and the entire love triangle between her legolas and kili is the stupidest fucking thing i have seen since idk when. since the last hobbit movie i guess.

and they fucking show sauron and have him speak and show his body. like WTF. that took all of the mystery and terror out of him. i mean as an eye there was a level of abstraction there that made him look strikingly memorable and absolutely terrifying in a supernatural way but this is just like something out of a shitty video game. in fact the entire movie is so full of cgi and looks so fucking fake i might as well have been watching a video game. the LOTR movies were filmed 13 fucking years ago and they look more realistic than this shit because they actually used SETS, and PROSTHETICS, and MINiATURE MODELS of buildings where as in these new movies it's just CGI CGI CGI.

and showing gandalf going around shooting light orbs out of his staff. jesus fucking christ that was so fucking stupid.

i couldn't even keep track of how many pointless battle scenes were put in the movie, which i assume were meant to distract from the two-dimensional characters and wooden dialogue. and speaking of terrible things that made me die a little inside every time they happened, which was - again - more often than i could count, there are SO MANY FUCKING REFERENCES to the LOTR trilogy.

wish ebert was still alive just so he could have ripped apart these films because i KNOW he would have because he UNDERSTOOD the books and their graceful beauty. it's like this is a fucking conspiracy to cover up the fact that these new films are fucking BULLSHIT and i am disgusted by their professional failings, the enormity of which is exceeded only by the failure that is this new hobbit trilogy - the BIGGEST cinematic letdown of my life.

I think this is the most angry I've ever seen Dave.

#52 Edited by dave123321 (33973 posts) -

You did good air, proud of you

#53 Edited by dave123321 (33973 posts) -

Saw gravity at the IMAX in 3D and it was such a lovely experience

#54 Posted by Jd1680a (5932 posts) -

I saw the Hobbit 2 a second time today. My experience with this movie was better then the first time since my mind was distracted in processing what was going on a few minutes before. The second time around I was able to be more focused of the characters, especially the dragon.

The dragon is definitely my favorite character of the Hobbit. He is just so cool and probably the best dragon done in all movies.

#55 Posted by Jd1680a (5932 posts) -

just saw the new hobbit movie and it was absolutely terrible. despite turning a moderately long children's novel into 3 epic-lengthed films peter jackson has somehow managed to cut out pretty much all of the book's most memorable scenes and instead what is presented is hours of moronic filler material. all the wit and humour from the book is gone and replaced with imbecilic "lol derp" faces and other comparable gags (again with fucking radagast and the fucking bird shit in his hair jesus fucking christ he is a fucking wizard and he has bird shit in his hair and he is on fucking mushrooms this is fucking stupid).

and then he fucking shoehorns legolas into like half the fucking movie even though he adds nothing to the plot and is just there as fanservice. and that stupid elf woman doesn't add anything to the plot either and the entire love triangle between her legolas and kili is the stupidest fucking thing i have seen since idk when. since the last hobbit movie i guess.

and they fucking show sauron and have him speak and show his body. like WTF. that took all of the mystery and terror out of him. i mean as an eye there was a level of abstraction there that made him look strikingly memorable and absolutely terrifying in a supernatural way but this is just like something out of a shitty video game. in fact the entire movie is so full of cgi and looks so fucking fake i might as well have been watching a video game. the LOTR movies were filmed 13 fucking years ago and they look more realistic than this shit because they actually used SETS, and PROSTHETICS, and MINiATURE MODELS of buildings where as in these new movies it's just CGI CGI CGI.

and showing gandalf going around shooting light orbs out of his staff. jesus fucking christ that was so fucking stupid.

i couldn't even keep track of how many pointless battle scenes were put in the movie, which i assume were meant to distract from the two-dimensional characters and wooden dialogue. and speaking of terrible things that made me die a little inside every time they happened, which was - again - more often than i could count, there are SO MANY FUCKING REFERENCES to the LOTR trilogy.

wish ebert was still alive just so he could have ripped apart these films because i KNOW he would have because he UNDERSTOOD the books and their graceful beauty. it's like this is a fucking conspiracy to cover up the fact that these new films are fucking BULLSHIT and i am disgusted by their professional failings, the enormity of which is exceeded only by the failure that is this new hobbit trilogy - the BIGGEST cinematic letdown of my life.

I disagree nearly everything you said.

#56 Posted by PonchoTaco (2032 posts) -
#57 Edited by AtariKidX (6242 posts) -

@PonchoTaco said:

@LostProphetFLCL: Smaug was outstanding. Best dragon I've seen put into film.

I agree......is the best dragon i even have seen in movie.The movie is awesome.

#58 Posted by Kenocratic (92 posts) -

She has long pretty hair so that's reason enough for me to see the movie. And I read The Hobbit twice so it's not like I don't have more than a female heroine to be interested in when seeing the film.

#59 Posted by benleslie5 (7814 posts) -

Just seen The Hobbit today, totally loved the scenes when it came to Smaug ended up quoting the lines from the book "My teeth are like swords, my claws are like spears"

#60 Posted by Legendaryscmt (12532 posts) -

I saw it. Better than the first, but that's not saying much. I thought there were so many pointless scenes and characters. I also didn't like that there were a lot of "little brother, big brother" moments, where the film tried too hard to connect itself to the the first trilogy.

#61 Edited by hippiesanta (9836 posts) -

#62 Posted by Barbariser (6724 posts) -

Will be watching it tomorrow, mostly for social reasons. I thought the first movie was okay so I don't mind.

#63 Posted by hippiesanta (9836 posts) -

Will be watching it tomorrow, mostly for social reasons. I thought the first movie was okay so I don't mind.

please turn off yer cellphone

#64 Posted by Shadow4020 (1956 posts) -

I saw the 3D HFR version. It was good, but it looked really weird at first, like watching a live play. I was a bit disappointed by the ending, because I just didn't expect it to end when it did; I was really enjoying it.

#65 Edited by harry_james_pot (10764 posts) -

Just came back from the cinema a few hours ago, and I really loved the movie! Much better than the first one.

#66 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15958 posts) -

The wife and I watched it last Wednesday. As pure entertainment, it was okay. I'll probably buy it on Blu Ray as well.

He He. The wife kept asking me what's going to happen next. I kept saying I don't know because the scene wasn't in the book. ;-)

#67 Edited by LostProphetFLCL (17252 posts) -

Saw it tonight and it was a DAMN good movie! Smaug is by FAR the best dragon ever put onto the big screen. He was just awe-inspiring to watch. I LOVED the way he had such a huge ego and was chattering back and forth with the heroes instead of being some mindless killing machine.

Tauriel and Legolas were also two amazingly badass characters. Really liked their stories they had going on. Interesting to see Legolas in such a different light.

Oh and that barrel escape scene is one of the coolest scenes I have seen in a LONG time. So much awesomeness contained in that one scene alone, not to mention the HEFTY amount of screen-time Smaug got.

But yeah, fantastic movie that was WAY better than the first and actually gives the original trilogy movies a run for their money this time around. Might be my fav movie of the year but that is REALLY hard to say as there are at least a couple other movies that I thought were excellent this year.

#68 Posted by Jd1680a (5932 posts) -

I cant wait to get this movie for Blu Ray. I am now considering on upgrading my PC to a blu ray drive just because of the Hobbit 2.

#69 Edited by raging_user (395 posts) -

Saw it yesterday

my only gripes

- the elf and the dwarf thing fucking pointless in this movie

- the dragons dialogue was just all around meh... Nothing he said was quotable besides him mocking the barrel man for 8 minutes

#70 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (15958 posts) -

@Jd1680a said:

I cant wait to get this movie for Blu Ray. I am now considering on upgrading my PC to a blu ray drive just because of the Hobbit 2.

Just buy a Blu Ray player. There are a number of them that are sub-$70, including Sony ones.

#71 Posted by Praisedasun (444 posts) -

I will see it at christmas.On the 24th,most likely.

So,I saw the movie,and I thought it was pretty entertaining.

Better than the first one overall.

The dragon is amazing in every single aspect.Brilliant voice acting and nice dialogues.

It would be on par with the original trilogy,if not for the ridiculously over the top action scenes and the whole "love" thing(although it is pretty subtle).

A gread movie overall.I don't get why people are hating on it so much.

#72 Posted by PonchoTaco (2032 posts) -

I saw the 3D HFR version. It was good, but it looked really weird at first, like watching a live play. I was a bit disappointed by the ending, because I just didn't expect it to end when it did; I was really enjoying it.

@Shadow4020: I felt the same way, but I saw it a second time and knowing it was coming, I appreciated it a lot more. Ended up liking the ending a lot.

#73 Posted by hydralisk86 (8535 posts) -

@Shadow4020 said:

@Shadow4020: I felt the same way, but I saw it a second time and knowing it was coming, I appreciated it a lot more. Ended up liking the ending a lot.

When the movie ended, lots of people were like, "Awww this sucks" due to the way the movie ended. Made sense though IMO.

#74 Posted by indzman (17531 posts) -

BEST MOVIE OF 2013 !!!

#75 Edited by iowastate (7873 posts) -

If you have been to Los Angeles, Chicago, Tehran, Manila or New York you have seen the Desolation of Smog.

I'm sure there are other desolated places but I'm not familar with them.

#76 Edited by indzman (17531 posts) -

dave you suck, new Hobbit rules !!!

#77 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10127 posts) -

I'll be seeing it. :)