who has done more bad than good: Bush or Obama?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

do you still have that icky Bush taste in your mouth or are you now gagging on Obama's Kool-Aid.

Most importantly: who do you think will go down in history as the lesser president?

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts
@4myAmuzumament said:

do you still have that icky Bush taste in your mouth or are you now gagging on Obama's Kool-Aid.

Most importantly: who do you think will go down in history as the lesser president?

It will be a long time before we know if Iraq and Afghanistan were a success (if there is a stable democracy and people are thriving), I think that if they are, I think that history will look back at bush a lot better than people did while he was in office.

Obama has only done one thing that is substantial, healthcare, and it looks like at the rate things are going, what he did will be picked apart completely and either changed or axed. I guess time will tell also.

I think in 50 years, people will remember Bush for how he lead through 9/11 and people will remember Obama for being 1/2 black and not much else.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3  Edited By Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

Your question is rather oddly phrased. I'd rate them as being about equal on economics (slight advantage Obama), with Bush being significantly worse at both foreign policy and social policy. It's rather difficult to compare them due to their very different political environment though.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

imo

obama is worse at foreign policy

bush worse at social

parity on econ

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

It seems Obama will mainly be remembered, fondly or otherwise, based on how the ACA functions. That aside from his historic nature.

• Inefficient stimulus package
  • Dodd-Frank
  • Giving rise to the Tea Party
  • Getting Bin Laden
  • Repealing Don't Ask, Don't Tell
  • Benghazi
  • IRS Scandal
  • Letting Iran go nuclear? We'll see.
  • Getting bitch slapped by Putin on Syria.
  • Edward Snowden and his revelations.
  • Disastrous Obamacare rollout.

Bush has:

• 9-11 -Was it his fault? Either way it happened under him.
  • Patriot Act and the erosion of civil liberties.
  • War on Afghanistan: After 9-11 it was inevitable.
  • Iraq War: A war of choice which results still aren't clear.
  • Katrina
  • Bailout of Wall Street
  • Painting dogs.

Lets see how the employer mandate goes and how the senate shapes after the midterm election.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I think they've both done pretty badly. Obama's policies have affected me worse, however.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#7 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@Jacobistheman said:
@4myAmuzumament said:

It will be a long time before we know if Iraq and Afghanistan were a success (if there is a stable democracy and people are thriving), I think that if they are, I think that history will look back at bush a lot better than people did while he was in office.

Obama has only done one thing that is substantial, healthcare, and it looks like at the rate things are going, what he did will be picked apart completely and either changed or axed. I guess time will tell also.

I think in 50 years, people will remember Bush for how he lead through 9/11 and people will remember Obama for being 1/2 black and not much else.

lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8  Edited By deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

These kind of judgements are best left for a few decades after said President has left office. I think both will be viewed as mediocre at best. Bush will likely be view as a puppet to his war-mongering advisors, and Obama will be viewed as too cerebral and a victim of the worst Congress in history.

Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts

1) Katrina didn't hit New Orleans, - it hit Mississippi, which got hammered

- that's why the supply trucks were so far from New Orleans when the levees over topped in NO. . . . .But every news story since then, has said that "Katrina slammed into New Orleans" - which is a flat out lie.
I live down here, and I can tell you - Katrina did NOT slam into New Orleans.

2) The levees didn't overtop until the next night, after Katrina was already gone -

- and all news agencies, including the New Orleans newspaper (Times-Picayune) reported,

"Katrina Misses New Orleans". . . .

3) The people in New Orleans didn't bother to fill up jugs of water for their families - just in case the water supply was contaminated . . they were too busy partying

4) Ray Naggin "the sissy mayor", hid in his penthouse for three days, and didn't even bother trying to evacuate the people, even after Bush begged him to do so

How is any of that Bush's fault?

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

Bush

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

I like Obama, and Bush hated the gays.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#12  Edited By vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

@Jacobistheman said:
@4myAmuzumament said:

lol

You are ignorant and my guess is you were 5 years old at the time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7OCgMPX2mE queue up 0:40 seconds. This man LED a country with a collective broken heart, Republicans, Democrats, conservatives, liberals, atheists, the religious, black, white, hispanic, homosexuals, and straight. The nation was never so together in recent years as it was right after 9/11, and he LED. Of course people like would only put blame on him for it happening under his watch, never mind the fact he was only in power for 8 months at the time and the previous president had 8 fucking years to prevent it.

Love him or hate him, he LED us in those days. Agree or disagree with his decisions in the coming months/years, he LED us through that tragedy. If any of you were not old enough to be affected by 9/11 at the time you have absolutely no credible opinion at all on this subject, period.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36038 Posts

Economically speaking Obama has a clear advantage, he's done much better than George W. Bush. However he certainly hasn't done as well as other democratic presidents.

bw.png

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By vfibsux

@Serraph105 said:

Economically speaking Obama has a clear advantage, he's done much better than George W. Bush. However he certainly hasn't done as well as other democratic presidents.

Random graphics with no source or explanation=fact.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Serraph105

@vfibsux said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@Jacobistheman said:
@4myAmuzumament said:

lol

You are ignorant and my guess is you were 5 years old at the time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7OCgMPX2mE queue up 0:40 seconds. This man LED a country with a collective broken heart, Republicans, Democrats, conservatives, liberals, atheists, the religious, black, white, hispanic, homosexuals, and straight. The nation was never so together in recent years as it was right after 9/11, and he LED. Of course people like would only put blame on him for it happening under his watch, never mind the fact he was only in power for 8 months at the time and the previous president had 8 fucking years to prevent it.

Love him or hate him, he LED us in those days. Agree or disagree with his decisions in the coming months/years, he LED us through that tragedy. If any of you were not old enough to be affected by 9/11 at the time you have absolutely no credible opinion at all on this subject, period.

Here is a question I have, which is more difficult leading a more or less united country or a divided one? Here is another question, do you really think that leading the country doesn't apply to all presidents? Leading a country doesn't matter much if you don't lead it well, and I think all presidents need to come under that scrutiny.

It sounds really good to say "He LED the country!", but how he led and where he led is what really matters. To me he led us into Iraq after a person who didn't harm us on 9/11 under the pretense Saddam was involved. Furthermore he LED us into the biggest economic downturn since the great depression which we are still feeling today. Bush led us, good for him, if only he led us well.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

Obama by far. Sure Bush screwed up in a few areas, but Obama has taken the disaster ball and ran with it and isn't stopping.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AmazonTreeBoa

@Serraph105 said:

@vfibsux said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@Jacobistheman said:
@4myAmuzumament said:

lol

Here is a question I have, which is more difficult leading a more or less united country or a divided one? Here is another question, do you really think that leading the country doesn't apply to all presidents? Leading a country doesn't matter much if you don't lead it well, and I think all presidents need to come under that scrutiny.

It sounds really good to say "He LED the country!", but how he led and where he led is what really matters. To me he led us into Iraq after a person who didn't harm us on 9/11 under the pretense Saddam was involved. Furthermore he LED us into the biggest economic downturn since the great depression which we are still feeling today. Bush led us, good for him, if only he led us well.

It would help if he wasn't the reason the country is divided. Just saying.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 vfibsux

@Serraph105 said:

@vfibsux said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@Jacobistheman said:
@4myAmuzumament said:

lol

Stop with the dumb shit, I am talking about when 9/11 happened. The country needed a shot of pick me up morale and to know everything would be alright, he provided that to us. I said this has nothing to do with the decision he made in the months and years after, fucking read.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GreySeal9

@vfibsux said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@Jacobistheman said:
@4myAmuzumament said:

lol

Who said I blamed it for happening on his watch? Learn 2 read.

The idea that he led the country well through 9/11 because he gave a speech is hilarious (any President can give a speech). He used 9/11 as a pretext to start a war in Iraq. Actions count more than words.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By GreySeal9

@vfibsux said:

@Serraph105 said:

@vfibsux said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@Jacobistheman said:
@4myAmuzumament said:

lol

Stop with the dumb shit, I am talking about when 9/11 happened. The country needed a shot of pick me up morale and to know everything would be alright, he provided that to us. I said this has nothing to do with the decision he made in the months and years after, fucking read.

Disregarding what actions he took in regards to 9/11 is illogical.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

To me they are not very different. I'd argue that under Obama the US has been more divided. His lack of skill or tact to deal with/destroy his opposition is a major setback for him. He needed much more experience before getting the job. Bush will be judged more harshly, that's for sure. He molded the shape of the US far more than Obama, imo.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By coolbeans90

@jimkabrhel said:

Obama will be viewed as too cerebral

baaaaaaaahahahahahahahahaha

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By coolbeans90
@Serraph105 said:

you have to be the king of post hoc ergo propter hoc

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
@coolbeans90 said:

imo

bush worse at social

parity on econ

Obama worse on foreign policy? I'm not so sure on that.

Bush clearly worse social.

Both kind of suck econ.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 coolbeans90

@chessmaster1989 said:
@coolbeans90 said:

imo

bush worse at social

parity on econ

Obama worse on foreign policy? I'm not so sure on that.

Bush clearly worse social.

Both kind of suck econ.

umm

almost definitely worse foreign

but agree otherwise

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Serraph105

@coolbeans90: It seems less important to compare a president whose politics you like to one that you do not. Of course dems prefer Obama to Bush and vice versa what seems to be more important overall (if less relevant) is whether or not he stacks up against other guys you actually like in the first place. I'm not sure Obama really does tbh.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 coolbeans90

@Serraph105 said:

@coolbeans90: It seems less important to compare a president whose politics you like to one that you do not. Of course dems prefer Obama to Bush and vice versa what seems to be more important overall (if less relevant) is whether or not he stacks up against other guys you actually like in the first place. I'm not sure Obama really does tbh.

i was talking about the graph use

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Kool-Aid?

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

@Jacobistheman said:
@4myAmuzumament said:

lol

Says the person who was probably 3 when 9/11 this happened.

If you look back at almost all presidents from more than 50 years ago, you basically only think of the major things that happened while they were in office.

For example, without looking at any outside sources (internet, books, etc), what did Kennedy do? You and everyone would probably say he got assassinated and maybe say something about the Cuban missile crisis and starting our lunar program.

Also, I am not making any claims about how you think he handled it, but that is what people will remember.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Bush. He lied us into a war, used economic trickery to keep the costs of war off his own books, used Part D as a handout to drug companies instead of allowing for real competition between them, looked the other way on reckless speculation and then bailed out those same speculators when the economy crashed, was the architect behind No Child Left Behind.

I'm not saying Obama has been perfect, but he's pulled us back from the brink economically, targeted bailouts to help regular working people and start public works projects, been proactive on environmental issues, protected unemployment benefits for people looking for work, advanced gay rights, and made a priority of immigration reform in the face of an intransigent Congress. Perhaps the biggest possible knock on him is Obamacare, but I think that's ultimately going to go down as a success. Patients can no longer be denied coverage based on pre-existing conditions, there're no lifetime limits on coverage so patients can't be dropped when they need expensive procedures, children can be covered on their parents' insurance for longer, there are interstate market on which to buy insurance (a Republican proposal, by the way), medicare has been expanded, there are subsidies for people who don't qualify for medicare but can't afford regular insurance. Ultimately more people are going to be covered for more things and I think that once it gets past a tough initial breaking-in period we'll be left with a far more functional medical insurance system than what we had. That alone would be a bigger accomplishment than anything Bush did.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By GreySeal9

@Jacobistheman said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@Jacobistheman said:
@4myAmuzumament said:

lol

Says the person who was probably 3 when 9/11 this happened.

If you look back at almost all presidents from more than 50 years ago, you basically only think of the major things that happened while they were in office.

For example, without looking at any outside sources (internet, books, etc), what did Kennedy do? You and everyone would probably say he got assassinated and maybe say something about the Cuban missile crisis and starting our lunar program.

Also, I am not making any claims about how you think he handled it, but that is what people will remember.

I wasn't even close to 3, but I guess assumptions are easier than actually having a sensible argument.

You said Bush will be remembered for how he "lead" through 9/11. How he handled it is inextricably linked to how he "lead."

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 AmazonTreeBoa

@Gaming-Planet said:

Kool-Aid?

CommandoAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34  Edited By CommandoAgent
Member since 2005 • 1703 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

Yeah? well thats because America had an War Economy under GW Bush you know two wars that are today's faulires.

Even if the troops did stay behind it would be have being alot worse. Both presidents have being worse and both are being puppets to the Gulf regime states.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@coolbeans90 said:

@jimkabrhel said:

Obama will be viewed as too cerebral

baaaaaaaahahahahahahahahaha

Yeah, I laughed too.

Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

Bush by far. It's not even close.

Bush:

1) stole an election, possibly two.

2) cut taxes on the 1%, creating a massive deficit.

3) pulled out of the Kyoto protocol

4) started a war with Iraq, just because he wanted to. Killing hundreds of thousands and plunging the country into chaos that continues to this day. Not to mention the financial cost that still hasn't been accounted for.

5) started a war with Afghanistan, because Bin Laden

6) allowed a massive financial bubble to develop because his people didn't believe in financial regulation.

7) cancelled funding for New Orleans levees and flood protection.

8) allowed infrastructure to deteriorate.

9) ignored warnings about Bin Laden

10) authorized torture and indefinite detention in Gitmo and secret CIA prisons.

All of this happened. People tend to let him off the hook, because he was more of an idiotboy puppet than an evil mastermind. But this all happened on his watch.

Obama's faults are primarily because he isn't ambitious enough, doesn't push hard enough, and allows Bush policies to continue.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#37 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Bush was such a blockhead in public that he's always going to be remembered as a clumsy, terrible speaker, who had bad social/foreign policy.

I understand people who hate on Obama. Lots of his ideas haven't worked. Obama Care has been rough. He also has had huge party resistance, so he can't do anything. Putin bitch-slapped him, people say he isn't ambitious enough... I like Obama, but I feel like he will only be remembered for being the first black president. He's doing a pretty middling job right now.

Unless the Affordable Care act becomes this huge socialist/groundbreaking movement for US healthcare, Obama won't be remembered for better or worse.

mckenz_a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38 mckenz_a
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

@4myAmuzumament said:

I enjoy Kool-Aid, tyvm.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

@Shmiity said:

Bush was such a blockhead in public that he's always going to be remembered as a clumsy, terrible speaker, who had bad social/foreign policy.

I understand people who hate on Obama. Lots of his ideas haven't worked. Obama Care has been rough. He also has had huge party resistance, so he can't do anything. Putin bitch-slapped him, people say he isn't ambitious enough... I like Obama, but I feel like he will only be remembered for being the first black president. He's doing a pretty middling job right now.

Unless the Affordable Care act becomes this huge socialist/groundbreaking movement for US healthcare, Obama won't be remembered for better or worse.

Same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpAOwJvTOio

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38663 Posts

@vfibsux said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@Jacobistheman said:
@4myAmuzumament said:

lol

yet somehow he managed to f-ck all that goodwill up so quickly....

GIJames248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By GIJames248
Member since 2006 • 2176 Posts

Obama has done worse, which is pretty impressive given some of the crap the Bush administration created. Part of the problem is that a lot has come to light on Obama's watch which he is not entirely responsible for, but for some idiotic or evil reason he defends the government and tows the establishment line a lot of it instead of being a president of the people and helping fix stuff.