who are your favourite movie directors of all time ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by indzman (18203 posts) -

1.John Woo (The Killer)

2.Steven Speilberg (Saving Private Ryan)

3.R.I.P Tony Scott ( Top Gun, Days of Thunder )

4.Richard Donner (Lethal Weapon)

5. Mel Gibson (Braveheart)

who are your favourite movie directors of all time OT?

#2 Edited by bforrester420 (1662 posts) -

The Coen brothers, Wes Anderson, Adam McKay, and Judd Apatow....I don't watch much outside of comedies anymore.

#3 Posted by Master_Live (14857 posts) -

Scorsese, Nolan, Fincher, Ford Copola.

#4 Edited by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

kubrick is pretty much the best. yeah, he had an eye for detail and he had tons of technical ability so his movies were always gorgeous. more than that, he knew how good he was so he never really flinched or sacrificed clarity. because he was always involved in the writing process, he never took away from the story. he did a lot of reinventing too, both for film and for himself. paths of glory and full metal jacket are really different war films. the axe murder scene in the shining hacked apart the jump scare trope of horror movies. new technology like the steadicam came along in his prime and he adopted it like any other tool he'd been using.

others: paul thomas anderson, the coens, david cronenberg, nicolas winding refn

#5 Posted by JML897 (33125 posts) -

I think it'll always be Kurosawa for me

#6 Posted by DharmaMember77 (2377 posts) -

#7 Posted by Aljosa23 (25134 posts) -

John Ford, Steven Spielberg, Akira Kurosawa, Coen Bros, and John Carpenter.

#9 Edited by drinkerofjuice (3215 posts) -

The Coens, Martin Scorsese, Akira Kurosawa, Wong Kar-Wai, Andrei Tarkovsky

#10 Edited by lensflare15 (6182 posts) -

Stanley Kubrik, Frank Capra , Alfred Hitchcock, David Lynch, Ingmar Bergman, Martin Scorsese...

#11 Posted by indzman (18203 posts) -

@BlackGenjii said:

@Master_Live said:

Scorsese, Nolan, Fincher, Ford Copola.

WOW... those are outstanding directors.

You are awesome Master-Live.

Yup :)

#12 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26353 posts) -
  • Ingmar Bergman
  • Wong Kar-wai
  • Krzysztof Kieslowski
  • Terrence Malick
#13 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

Christopher Nolan. The Batman movies were great, but they were still pretty much by-the-books action flicks. After watching (and re-watching) Memento and The Prestige, however, I think Nolan is right up there among the all-time greats.

#14 Edited by chernoalpha527 (168 posts) -

Steven Spielberg

Stanley Kubrick

Peter Jackson

Ridley Scott

David Fincher

Takashi Miike

#15 Edited by indzman (18203 posts) -

@DharmaMember77 said:

who is this guy ?

#16 Posted by sukraj (23060 posts) -

Sam Raimi

Rob Zombie

Steven Speilberg

Wes Craven

Ridley Scott

John Carpenter

#17 Posted by DharmaMember77 (2377 posts) -

@indzman said:

@DharmaMember77 said:

who is this guy ?

Rainer Werner Fassbinder

#18 Posted by Ballroompirate (23052 posts) -

Personal fav of all time, no one beats James Cameron in his prime with Aliens, T1, T2 and True Lies. Runners up would be Christopher Nolan, Ridley Scott and J.J Abrams.

#19 Posted by indzman (18203 posts) -

@DharmaMember77 said:

@indzman said:

@DharmaMember77 said:

who is this guy ?

Rainer Werner Fassbinder

never heard of him, seems quality director since you recommending him.I'll check wiki shortly on his bio :)

#20 Posted by Allicrombie (25239 posts) -

I'm partial to classic directors like Hitchcock, Kubrick, Kazan, Lumet, Welles, Huston and Capra. If I had to pick a more modern director, I generally find Darren Aronofsky's films to be pretty interesting.

#21 Posted by indzman (18203 posts) -

mrs allie got good taste in movies ^_^

#22 Posted by Lord_Daemon (24281 posts) -

Oh gosh it's hard to say as I have a tendency to become mildly enamored of new directors that I'm unfamiliar with all the time. But some of my constant favorites Jacques Rivette, F.W. Murnau, Ernst Lubitsch, Ki-duk Kim, Seijun Suzuki, Andrei Tarkovsky, R.W. Fassbinder, Russ Meyer, Boris Barnet and a ton of others.

#23 Edited by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -

Martin Scorsese, Steven Speilberg, Tim Burton

#24 Edited by indzman (18203 posts) -

@Lord_Daemon said:

Oh gosh it's hard to say as I have a tendency to become mildly enamored of new directors that I'm unfamiliar with all the time. But some of my constant favorites Jacques Rivette, F.W. Murnau, Ernst Lubitsch, Ki-duk Kim, Seijun Suzuki, Andrei Tarkovsky, R.W. Fassbinder, Russ Meyer, Boris Barnet and a ton of others.

Haven't heard of a single director you mentioned , i know my taste sucks when it comes down to quality cinema heh

#25 Edited by hippiesanta (9901 posts) -

Neil Blomkamp, Nolan, Peter Jackson, james Cameron ....... because I'm being real and their movie always makes us exited to go to cinema ......... and not pretending that choosing certain director makes you look smart

#26 Posted by JML897 (33125 posts) -

@indzman said:

@Lord_Daemon said:

Haven't heard of a single director you mentioned , i know my taste sucks when it comes down to quality cinema heh

To be fair to you, Daemon has probably watched more films than anyone else I've ever known. He's seen a shitload of stuff.

#27 Posted by Lord_Daemon (24281 posts) -

@indzman said:

@Lord_Daemon said:

Oh that doesn't mean anything...I've watched thousands upon thousands of movies and I still come across highly respected directors that I had not heard of until an announcement of their death. There's no real thing as sucky taste though, if it works for you and it makes you happy or resonates with you in some special way, then it's awesome and that's that.

#28 Posted by indzman (18203 posts) -

@JML897 said:

@indzman said:

@Lord_Daemon said:

To be fair to you, Daemon has probably watched more films than anyone else I've ever known. He's seen a shitload of stuff.

impressive :)

#29 Posted by indzman (18203 posts) -

@Lord_Daemon said:

@indzman said:

@Lord_Daemon said:

Oh that doesn't mean anything...I've watched thousands upon thousands of movies and I still come across highly respected directors that I had not heard of until an announcement of their death. There's no real thing as sucky taste though, if it works for you and it makes you happy or resonates with you in some special way, then it's awesome and that's that.

cool, i'll ask for movie recommendations from you in future :)

#30 Posted by plageus900 (1082 posts) -

I'm glad none of you have mentioned Michael Bay. I salute you.