White masculinity isn’t a problem for America’s colleges...

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

...white masculinity is THE problem for America’s colleges...or says a new professor at Boston University:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/may/9/saida-grundy-boston-university-professor-white-mal/

She also had some nice things to say in general about the white male college demographic categorizing them as a "problem population."

I really don't understand, how in the world is the college fine with this and how exactly is this not blatant racism?

Here are some of her other gems:

http://socawlege.com/boston-university-assistant-professor-saida-grundy-attacks-whites-makes-false-statements-on-twitter/

Man, I just couldn't see a white professor being able to say anything even close to things like this and get away with it. Talk about privilege!

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@Renevent42 said:

...white masculinity is THE problem for America’s colleges...or says a new professor at Boston University:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/may/9/saida-grundy-boston-university-professor-white-mal/

She also had some nice things to say in general about the white male college demographic categorizing them as a "problem population."

I really don't understand, how in the world is the college fine with this and how exactly is this not blatant racism?

Here are some of her other gems:

http://socawlege.com/boston-university-assistant-professor-saida-grundy-attacks-whites-makes-false-statements-on-twitter/

Man, I just couldn't see a white professor being able to say anything even close to things like this and get away with it. Talk about privilege!

Because white people can't be affected by racism. Duh. Don't you know only white people can be racist?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
Member since 2014 • 776 Posts

What's the difference between "white masculinity" and any other demographics masculinity? WTF

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gamerguru100

@twizded said:

What's the difference between "white masculinity" and any other demographics masculinity? WTF

Because white masculinity involves copious amounts of racism, of course.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#6 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

@twizded said:

If anything I think in the U.S. black masculinity and Hispanic masculinity (machismo) are probably more troublesome than white masculinity. Not that they're aren't white guys doing stupid things to prove their masculinity, but proportionally white people don't seem to commit a lot of violent crime.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gamerguru100

@whipassmt said:
@twizded said:

If anything I think in the U.S. black masculinity and Hispanic masculinity (machismo) are probably more troublesome than white masculinity. Not that they're aren't white guys doing stupid things to prove their masculinity, but proportionally white people don't seem to commit a lot of violent crime.

Everything I've posted in this thread has been sarcasm. I'm making fun of idiots who actually think only whites are racist or incapable of encountering racism.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
Member since 2014 • 776 Posts

After reading more I googled, Saida Grundy is a racist bitch. She doesn't even give a reason why.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gamerguru100

@twizded said:

After reading more I googled, Saida Grundy is a racist bitch. She doesn't even give a reason why.

I'm guessing she's one of those Anita Sarkeesian types.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Renevent42

It's pretty outrageous...the thing that really sticks out is this is essentially sanctioned racism.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@twizded said:

While maybe a generalization taken a bit far, there's some truth to the "tradition" of the white frat house sexist/racist pig cult. I say tradition because it existed long in the past and for some reason is still there today.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

Can't we just hit the people saying stupid sh*t?

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38675 Posts

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts

The funny thing is, you replace "white" with any other group and she would be roasted alive for being a racist bigot, "black male population", "jewish male population", "hispanic male population", "gay male populaiton" would cause a ferver.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#15 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@comp_atkins said:

Don't you mean

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Renevent42
@Heirren said:
@twizded said:

While maybe a generalization taken a bit far, there's some truth to the "tradition" of the white frat house sexist/racist pig cult. I say tradition because it existed long in the past and for some reason is still there today.

Are black frat houses beacons of civility or something, or are these things that only happen at white frat houses?

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

@magicalclick said:

He probably get bullied in shower room. Although that would be a fantasy for some people.

Are you some people?

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38675 Posts

@korvus lol. better!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@Renevent42 said:
@Heirren said:
@twizded said:

Are black frat houses beacons of civility or something, or are these things that only happen at white frat houses?

More often than not I'd say the white centric frat houses fit what I said far more prominently.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Renevent42

@Heirren said:
@Renevent42 said:
@Heirren said:
@twizded said:

More often than not I'd say the white centric frat houses fit what I said far more prominently.

And you are basing this off of what? Actual crime/complaint statistics? I wouldn't be too sure of that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@Renevent42 said:
@Heirren said:
@Renevent42 said:
@Heirren said:
@twizded said:

And you are basing this off of what? Actual crime/complaint statistics? I wouldn't be too sure of that.

No, there's no accurate depiction of grimes in such a manner. I'm going off it being somewhat cultural common knowledge--the fact that there are decades of movies that establish this "culture". The racism is nixed from such but understandably so. Then there's the point that people associate the term "frat house" with young adult white males. I'm not saying there isn't any kind of hate in other groups, either. And you are right, I can't be sure.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Renevent42
@Heirren said:
@Renevent42 said:
@Heirren said:
@Renevent42 said:
@Heirren said:
@twizded said:

No, there's no accurate depiction of grimes in such a manner. I'm going off it being somewhat cultural common knowledge--the fact that there are decades of movies that establish this "culture". The racism is nixed from such but understandably so. Then there's the point that people associate the term "frat house" with young adult white males. I'm not saying there isn't any kind of hate in other groups, either. And you are right, I can't be sure.

What people associate with terms and the reality of things as they exist can be two separate things. This lady made a terribly racist statement, to the point of calling it THE problem for colleges. Not just frat house behavior, but WHITE frat house behavior. The fact is this same behavior is taking place in black frats, and if you actually look at the statistics for crimes on campus things get a little more grim.

The things she said are completely indefensible, and she and Boston University should be absolutely ashamed. Had this been reversed, let's say a white criminologist professor stating that black males are a problem population he would be absolutely eviscerated.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@Renevent42:

I was generalizing more based on how society in general views such cliques. I stand corrected though as you are correct. For an authority figure to make such claims can be detrimental to decent side of school social. In effect it can actually CREATE a hostility and divergence amongst students. Apologies for not looking into the topic in a more detailed manner.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Renevent42
@Heirren said:

@Renevent42:

I was generalizing more based on how society in general views such cliques. I stand corrected though as you are correct. For an authority figure to make such claims can be detrimental to decent side of school social. In effect it can actually CREATE a hostility and divergence amongst students. Apologies for not looking into the topic in a more detailed manner.

I think that's really my main problem with this...I don't even understand what the point of hiring a professor like this is. Let's forget the fact she is flat out wrong in some of tweets (for instance the history of slavery stuff)...this kind of rhetoric is really divisive and, at least in my opinion, does nothing but breed hostility among students.

EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts

What do frat houses even exist for? They sound like drinking clubs to me

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 whipassmt
@comp_atkins said:

Well, you know, there is only one appropriate way to deal with Haters... It's a technique Steve Austin perfected in the late '90s and the Rock recently did so excellently: You just gotta flip, flip, flip 'em off.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

@whipassmt said:
@twizded said:

They are not in college though :P

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@whipassmt: Disgusting! You're lucky I don't report your filth!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@whipassmt: That was actually quite awesome!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@General_X said:

The funny thing is, you replace "white" with any other group and she would be roasted alive for being a racist bigot, "black male population", "jewish male population", "hispanic male population", "gay male populaiton" would cause a ferver.

Well, duh. Picking on minorities would make her look like a jerk - punching up (in this case the target being white males) is socially acceptable from comedy and activism to just about everything..

comicdude23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 comicdude23
Member since 2015 • 99 Posts

I'm a minority, and I think this is bullshit.

Trust me, A LOT of minorities don't buy into this anti-white BS disguised as ''anti racism''

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 whipassmt

@MlauTheDaft said:

@whipassmt: Disgusting! You're lucky I don't report your filth!

You're upset about the middle finger? Please don't report me, well it won't do any good because I'v already got a mod to support me:

@korvus said:

@whipassmt: That was actually quite awesome!

The Rock is the Most Electrifying man in sports - scratch that, all - entertainment and nobody - and the Rock means nobody - (well except for Stone Cold Steve Austin) can entertain like the Rock.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 General_X

@Aljosa23 said:
@General_X said:

Well, duh. Picking on minorities would make her look like a jerk - punching up (in this case the target being white males) is socially acceptable from comedy and activism to just about everything..

For comedy and joke telling it's one thing but this woman is legitimately being racist and it's pretty much considered fine since it's against the majority. That's ridiculous and very hypocritical on her part. If building tolerance and understanding is the goal this person is doing the opposite of said goals.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@whipassmt said:

The Rock is the Most Electrifying man in sports - scratch that, all - entertainment and nobody - and the Rock means nobody - (well except for Stone Cold Steve Austin) can entertain like the Rock.

Since I already posted a Joseph Ducreux here might as well post another, but that's my last off-topic post here before TC gets mad at me.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 whipassmt

"White masculinity" is a very broad thing, there are many categories of white masculinity that are quite different from each other. There's the 1920s gangster/tough guy masculinity, frat boy masculinity, traditional Southern gentleman masculinity, to name a few.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By whipassmt

@korvus said:
@whipassmt said:

Since I already posted a Joseph Ducreux here might as well post another, but that's my last off-topic post here before TC gets mad at me.

That's a good one.

By the way, the video of the Rock lip syncing "Shake it Off" was from the first round of the first episode of Lip Sync Battle (which airs on Spike TV). If you liked that clip, you should see the Rock lip sync "Staying Alive" from the same episode in the second round. The Rock's opponent by the way was Jimmy Fallon.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

I think all of you need to check your privilege.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#39  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts
@General_X said:

Have you ever watched Fox News before? Or read the Daily Mail before? They love to blame blacks, Hispanics, gays, Muslims, feminists, etc. as "problem populations" and they get away with making bigoted/racist remarks like that all the time.

Also, let's not forget this is Twitter, where millions of bigoted/racist tweets are posted by trolls... But that's unacceptable behaviour for a college professor.

silkylove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 silkylove
Member since 2002 • 8579 Posts

I think it's funny that the vast majority of this forum had no problem calling blacks a "problem population" in the Baltimore riots thread and no problem calling Muslims a "problem population" in the Texas cartoon shooting thread, but now it's racist for somebody to call white men a "problem population" in the wake of, oh let's see, the holocaust, the atomic bomb, chemical warfare, biological warfare, the trail of tears, colonialism, redlining, Japanese interment camps, the Joe Paterno riots, the Oklahoma City bombing, the Unibomber, the KKK, Nazis, the housing bubble, the shotgun policy, the Tuskegee Experiments, Guantanamo Bay, the CIA torture report, the Norway Attacks, the Catholic Church pedo party, the Redskins, COINTELPRO, etc.

Hypocrisy much?

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@silkylove said:

I think it's funny that the vast majority of this forum had no problem calling blacks a "problem population" in the Baltimore riots thread and no problem calling Muslims a "problem population" in the Texas cartoon shooting thread, but now it's racist for somebody to call white men a "problem population" in the wake of, oh let's see, the holocaust, the atomic bomb, chemical warfare, biological warfare, the trail of tears, colonialism, redlining, Japanese interment camps, the Joe Paterno riots, the Oklahoma City bombing, the Unibomber, the KKK, Nazis, the housing bubble, the shotgun policy, the Tuskegee Experiments, Guantanamo Bay, the CIA torture report, the Norway Attacks, the Catholic Church pedo party, the Redskins, COINTELPRO, etc.

Hypocrisy much?

None of that is white people's fault.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 gamerguru100

@silkylove said:

Hypocrisy much?

I actually chuckled when I read that.

LOL "pedo party"

Alliteration FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@plageus900 said:

I think all of you need to check your privilege.

Just checked, they're all still here. Male, white, hetero and cis. Thanks for checking up on me =D

@silkylove said:

Hypocrisy much?

Feeling better? =D

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@whipassmt: Well, you did hurt my eyes.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 General_X

@Jag85 said:
@General_X said:

Have you ever watched Fox News before? Or read the Daily Mail before? They love to blame blacks, Hispanics, gays, Muslims, feminists, etc. as "problem populations" and they get away with making bigoted/racist remarks like that all the time.

Also, let's not forget this is Twitter, where millions of bigoted/racist tweets are posted by trolls... But that's unacceptable behaviour for a college professor.

Actually I don't pay attention to those outlets because it's painfully obvious they aren't objective and push a certain agenda, and anyone that takes them seriously is a sheep. So I don't have any examples in my head of them being bigoted but it certainly wouldn't surprise me. The main problem is an African American studies professor should be building cultural understanding, not fighting racism with racism.

And you're right no one is surprised when some random asshat on Twitter is racist, the problem is that this is a college professor and the institution is making excuses for her instead of any sort of reprimanding. White radio hosts have lost jobs over similar situations.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

This is another example of why just because you have a thought it doesn't necessarily mean you should Tweet it to the whole world.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts

Anyone taking her courses is getting scammed anyway.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By whipassmt

@MlauTheDaft: How'd I hurt your eyes?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#49  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@General_X said:

Actually I don't pay attention to those outlets because it's painfully obvious they aren't objective and push a certain agenda, and anyone that takes them seriously is a sheep. So I don't have any examples in my head of them being bigoted but it certainly wouldn't surprise me. The main problem is an African American studies professor should be building cultural understanding, not fighting racism with racism.

And you're right no one is surprised when some random asshat on Twitter is racist, the problem is that this is a college professor and the institution is making excuses for her instead of any sort of reprimanding. White radio hosts have lost jobs over similar situations.

Not sure about the US, but in the UK, there have been similar incidents of university professors making outrageously bigoted remarks about women and black people, yet they were never reprimanded for it by their universities, in the name of academic freedom. Colleges and universities rarely ever take any action over bigoted remarks, usually in the name of academic freedom, unless it's the explicit use of racial slurs.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

But she can't be a racist because she's a minority!