Which one of these discoveries is more important?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

.. If you had to choose only one to be readily available to humanity right now... which one would you pick?

1- Everlasting Free Unlimited Clean Energy (i.e. no need to ever charge your phone or fuel your car, etc..).

2- Anti Gravity (hovering cars, floating homes / furniture, etc..)

3- Teleportation (your online orders just appear instantly, no more traffic, humanity can reach other galaxies and communicate with earth in real-time, etc..)

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Seems kind of unbalanced. Unlimited free energy would be a larger boon than the other two combined.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Yep, I will take #1.

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts

I love your examples for the uses of each kind of discovery.

Unlimited free energy without a question.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#5 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

Unlimited free clean energy

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

@Mystery_Writer:

3. Energy will still be used but it would be limited because of teleportation so it's a win win.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Anti-gravity dwindle in significance compared to the other two options so that one is out. As for the remaining two, I can see how unlimited and everlasting clean energy can be a blessing to humanity and this planet but teleportation is much cooler than anything the former might endow us with so I'm going with teleportation. Think of the possibilities they're endlessly staggering.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#8 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

As fun and helpful as teleportation could be I'd still go with #1, no doubt.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

number one all day every day

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

@Mystery_Writer said:

which one would you pick?

1- Everlasting Free Unlimited Clean Energy ... THE WORLD IS SO BORING

2- Anti Gravity ... I DONT WANT TO GET CHOKE ON FLOATING OBJECT

3- Teleportation .... I DONT WANT TO BE TELEPORT WITH A FLY

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mystery_Writer

@drunk_pi said:

@Mystery_Writer:

3. Energy will still be used but it would be limited because of teleportation so it's a win win.

@GazaAli said:

Anti-gravity dwindle in significance compared to the other two options so that one is out. As for the remaining two, I can see how unlimited and everlasting clean energy can be a blessing to humanity and this planet but teleportation is much cooler than anything the former might endow us with so I'm going with teleportation. Think of the possibilities they're endlessly staggering.

I like that.. you guys have a point. Humanity could spread out where they live wherever they want (islands, deserts, north pole, jungles, middle of the ocean, top of a mountain, etc..) and not worry about how they get food / water / electricity & internet / medical care / commute to work / visit each other, etc..

Also they could mine far out planets for fuel.

And finally, you could have a sustained portal, where half of your home at one place and the other half at another place (sun never sets, you could always enjoy the sun on one side of your home)

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

I don't know how you could choose anything besides teleportation.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@Mystery_Writer said:

@drunk_pi said:

@Mystery_Writer:

@GazaAli said:

I like that.. you guys have a point. Humanity could spread out where they live wherever they want (islands, deserts, north pole, jungles, middle of the ocean, top of a mountain, etc..) and not worry about how they get food / water / electricity & internet / medical care / commute to work / visit each other, etc..

And finally, you could have a sustained portal, where half of your home at one place and the other half at another place (sun never sets, you could always enjoy the sun on one side of your home)

And what would be powering this insanely massive new energy sink?

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

For the world? One. For me? Three.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-598fc45371265

@korvus said:

@Mystery_Writer said:

@drunk_pi said:

@Mystery_Writer:

@GazaAli said:

And what would be powering this insanely massive new energy sink?

Since OP mentioned online orders appearing instantly. It's safe to say that teleportation in his scenario would be cheap and thus able to be widely used.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@Storm_Marine said:

Since OP mentioned online orders appearing instantly. It's safe to say that teleportation in his scenario would be cheap and thus able to be widely used.

Oh well, in that case I'd like to change my vote to number 4 "Ray that cures all diseases, that fell from an alien spaceship". I thought we were using reality as the base for our answers =P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-598fc45371265

I'd still pick teleportation even if it was too expensive to be used in day to day consumer stuff. The ability to instantly reach other galaxies would be incredible.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@Storm_Marine said:

I'd still pick teleportation even if it was too expensive to be used in day to day consumer stuff. The ability to instantly reach other galaxies would be incredible.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to visit other worlds, but, just like in real life, I'd take care of my home first before I spend all my time and money on trips somewhere else.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GazaAli

@Mystery_Writer said:

@GazaAli said:

That's all fine and dandy and you do make a compelling argument regarding the limitless utility of teleportation, but the things I had in mind were mostly immature and frivolous in nature :3
I was imagining how I can be sitting bored at home and then decide to teleport to some entirely different country where some friend lives. I was also thinking of what the widespread availability of teleportation would do to criminal activities. Imagine the version of the "criminal on the run" in such a reality, constantly making jumps to infinitely elude law enforcement.

All this talk about teleportation reminds me of Fringe. You seem to have a lively imagination I suggest you watch that.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Mystery_Writer

@GazaAli said:

@Mystery_Writer said:

That's all fine and dandy and you do make a compelling argument regarding the limitless utility of teleportation, but the things I had in mind were mostly immature and frivolous in nature :3

I was imagining how I can be sitting bored at home and then decide to teleport to some entirely different country where some friend lives. I was also thinking of what the widespread availability of teleportation would do to criminal activities. Imagine the version of the "criminal on the run" in such a reality, constantly making jumps to infinitely elude law enforcement.

All this talk about teleportation reminds me of Fringe. You seem to have a lively imagination I suggest you watch that.

Ya.. I like SciFi a lot. But didn't get into fringe back in the day (watched couple of episodes). It was more biology SciFi than physics / astrophysics.

Also, while we're imagining, you could have a device that neutralizes teleportation at your home and only authorized teleportation signals are allowed. More like a cell phone call, you could see the teleported object and either accept / reject the teleportation request :)

Lozozozozoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#21  Edited By Lozozozozoz
Member since 2014 • 85 Posts

#1 without a doubt, even though 2 and 3 would be awesome.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GazaAli

@Mystery_Writer said:

@GazaAli said:

@Mystery_Writer said:

Ya.. I like SciFi a lot. But didn't get into fringe back in the day (watched couple of episodes). It was more biology SciFi than physics / astrophysics.

Also, while we're imagining, you could have a device that neutralizes teleportation at your home and only authorized teleportation signals are allowed. More like a cell phone call, you could see the teleported object and either accept / reject the teleportation request :)

Starting from season 3 onward the show is about nothing but multiple universes, time travel, space-time continuum, matter, molecular degradation of the universe's fabric, etc etc. In short it makes an almost 180' shift away from biology into astrophysics and it drops the episodic trend in favor of the main plot.

Yea you could have that; but you could also have black-market teleporters or hacks to override state-administered teleporters :P

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mystery_Writer

@GazaAli said:

@Mystery_Writer said:

Starting from season 3 onward the show is about nothing but multiple universes, time travel, space-time continuum, matter, molecular degradation of the universe's fabric, etc etc. In short it makes an almost 180' shift away from biology into astrophysics and it drops the episodic trend in favor of the main plot.

Yea you could have that; but you could also have black-market teleporters or hacks to override state-administered teleporters :P

haha.. ya. that would make an interesting conundrum to solve, but still exciting to have nonetheless :)

Also, that's nice to know about fringe, gonna hopefully give it another try then.

And here, I'll return the favor with few of Sci Fi recommendations of mine:

Movie: The man from earth

Audio books:

- The Martian

- Swarm (Star Force Series Book 1)

eBooks

- Omega Rising (Omega Force Book 1)

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

#1 is the best for the Earth and survival. 2 and 3 could destroy civilization.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-598fc45371265

@Big_Pecks said:

#1 is the best for the Earth and survival. 2 and 3 could destroy civilization.

Unlimited energy could destroy civilization as well.

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts

Teleportation. We need bigger planets lawns. Unlimited energy would just mean greater innovation of many things up to and including weapons. So I think spreading the scourge that is humanity, as some fools consider it, is best. Plus struggle keeps people distracted as does breathing room. Take your ball and go make a new home while your feisty neighbors continue their family brawling over hotdogs.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

We can't handle number 1 we would definitely destroy earth

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#28  Edited By Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

@Mystery_Writer said:

.. If you had to choose only one to be readily available to humanity right now... which one would you pick?

1- Everlasting Free Unlimited Clean Energy (i.e. no need to ever change your pants)

I'm gonna go with that.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

Going to go with #1. Everlasting Free Unlimited Clean Energy.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GazaAli

@Mystery_Writer said:

@GazaAli said:

@Mystery_Writer said:

haha.. ya. that would make an interesting conundrum to solve, but still exciting to have nonetheless :)

Also, that's nice to know about fringe, gonna hopefully give it another try then.

And here, I'll return the favor with few of Sci Fi recommendations of mine:

Movie: The man from earth

Audio books:

- The Martian

- Swarm (Star Force Series Book 1)

eBooks

- Omega Rising (Omega Force Book 1)

I'm definitely going to check the man from earth out, looks really interesting. Thanks!

Marth6352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32 Marth6352
Member since 2014 • 117 Posts

Anti-Gravity because that is probably how we will leave this solar system. If you really think about it, anti-gravity leads into the other two topics.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

Oh man you threw in teleportation. If teleportation could be done with a very low amount of energy use then it's basically a greeny's (like me) wet dream. Think about how it would change our habits. Driving would become nearly a complete non-essential, we could go to work every day the very minute we are supposed to arrive and be back home the very minute we get off. Furthermore all things that need to be transported could be done instantaneously. In theory teleportation would solve global warming while giving everyone hundreds, if not thousands, of hours back every year to do with whatever they wish.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#34 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Everlasting Free Unlimited Clean Energy

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Unlimited clean energy. The applications could be pretty spectacular.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

Numero uno ! Number 1 most definite !