Which Is Your Favorite Christopher Nolan Film?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by Master_Live (15778 posts) 1 year, 2 months ago

Poll: Which Is Your Favorite Christopher Nolan Film? (27 votes)

Following (1998) 0%
Memento (2000) 22%
Insomnia (2002) 4%
Batman Begins (2005) 7%
The Prestige (2006) 7%
The Dark Knight (2008) 37%
Inception (2010) 22%
The Dark Knight Rises (2012) 0%
  • Following: 6/10
  • Memento: 8/10
  • Insomnia: 7/10
  • Batman Begins: 10/10
  • The Prestige: 7/10
  • The Dark Knight: 10/10
  • Inception: 10/10
  • TDKR: 8/10

Batman Begins: set the standard for super heroes origin stories. Only significant flaw was Batman letting Ras die at the end.

The Dark Knight: set the standard for super heroes movies period. Ledger is mesmerazing on film in which high caliber actors play their characters straight, without winking to let us it is a comics book film. The sense of apprehension as Gotham City descends into chaos is exhilarating. The ending elevates the movie out of the realm of comic books movies and into its place as a 2000's defining film capturing this generation sense of terror after 9/11 and the search of hope out of the darkness.

Inception: Nolan's original screenplay brings a breath of fresh air to a Hollywood industry that seems as it is has ran out of ideas. With a stellar cast, the scripts create characters for which the audience develops a emotional connection and we seem to care about.

At gun point I would say TDK.

#1 Posted by Aljosa23 (25896 posts) -

The Prestige by far. Indifferent-dislike his other ones.

#2 Edited by themajormayor (24201 posts) -

Memento. The prestige is good too. The rest are garbage.

#3 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29730 posts) -

Inception and Memento are my favorites. BB and TDK are both good. The Prestige and TDKR were forgettable. Don't think I've seen Insomnia or Following.

#4 Posted by RadecSupreme (4733 posts) -

Memento

#5 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

I have only seen the batman movies and don't remember which one was what. I would have to rewatch them all to remember.

#6 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (28281 posts) -

Memento.

The only two I really don't like are Inception and The Dark Knight Rises. Don't really remember Insomnia.

#7 Edited by foxhound_fox (90605 posts) -

I greatly enjoy The Dark Knight and Batman Begins.

I moderately enjoyed The Prestige (prefer The Illusionist with Edward Norton).

I still don't understand Inception.

I'm largely indifferent to his other works. He strikes me as a very overrated director.

#8 Posted by spike6958 (5053 posts) -

Batman Begins

#9 Posted by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -

Batman Begins, great reboot after that dreadful piece of crap called Batman & Robin, Liam Neeson in particular was just magnificent in that movie.

#10 Posted by lostrib (42192 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

I have only seen the batman movies and don't remember which one was what. I would have to rewatch them all to remember.

Batman Begins=Liam Neeson (Ra's Al Ghul)

Dark Knight=Heath Ledger (Joker)

The Dark Knight Rises=Tom Hardy (Bane), Anne Hathaway (Selina Kyle/Catwoman)

#11 Edited by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

either memento or inception.

memento is smart, it respects the audience, and it is honestly one of the most pleasantly jarring movies i've seen (surprising, coming from such a mainstream director).

inception has the dream aesthetic, but really i like it because i like movies and it seems to grab as many fun things about movies as it can and shape them together. it has the fantastical possibilities of science fiction and fantasy, the adrenaline of an action movie, the coolness of a heist flick, and the pomp of a blockbuster. they all fit nimbly together with a neat puzzle of a plot that demands you remain at least a little engaged even with the sensory overload.

i like the batman movies too, although less so. i'd probably go TDK > begins > rises.

it's been forever since i've seen the prestige, although i remember being disappointed despite the healthy dose of david bowie and then cheated by the ending.

i've never seen insomnia or the following.

#12 Posted by MonsieurX (31581 posts) -

Memento > Inception > the rest

#13 Posted by indzman (19965 posts) -

TDK :)

#14 Posted by the_bi99man (11058 posts) -

I really dig the Batman movies, especially Dark Knight, which is a god damn masterpiece of a superhero movie, but a couple of his other films have been far more creative and interesting. Memento has been one of my favorites for a long time, but I only recently saw The Pretige for the first time (somehow missed it when it came out) and it blew my fuckin mind. It's now among my favorite movies ever, and definitely my favorite Nolan work. Voted The Prestige.

#15 Posted by hippiesanta (9987 posts) -

The Prestige .... because myb two hero wolverine and Batman was in it together .... with Ziggy Stardust.

and

Inception ....... because it's inception

#16 Edited by Postal_Guy (2643 posts) -

TDK

#17 Posted by Young_Charter (19965 posts) -

Inception.

#18 Posted by bowchicka07 (1104 posts) -

All his Batmans for the wonder portrayal of the villains by a talented group of actors

Batman Begins: Liam Neeson (Ra's Al Ghul) Tom Wilkinson (Carmine Falcone) Cillian Murphy (Dr. Jonathan Crane aka Scarecrow)

The Dark Knight: Heath Ledger (The Joker)

The Dark Knight Rises: Tom Hardy (Bane)

I also liked Gary Oldman as Gordan.

#19 Posted by Lance2500 (680 posts) -

Haven't seen many of his films but I would say Inception. I liked The Dark Knight but absolutely hated The Dark Knight Rises.

#20 Edited by mjorh (1249 posts) -

• Following: Haven't watched
  • Memento: 9/10
  • Insomnia: 7/10
  • Batman Begins: 9/10
  • The Prestige: 9/10
  • The Dark Knight: 10/10
  • Inception: 10/10
  • TDKR: 9/10

The Dark Knight !

#21 Posted by redstorm72 (4631 posts) -

While I love Memento and Inception, the nerd in me has to go with the Dark Knight. That film basically single handedly raised comic book movies to the status of "just plain good movies".

#22 Posted by sukraj (23884 posts) -

TDK

#23 Edited by destinhpark (4756 posts) -

Gotta go with "The Dark Knight" on this one. With the superb acting and complex storyline, I found almost nothing wrong with this movie. I watch it again and again and it never gets old. Excellent score, too.