• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MystikFollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MystikFollower
Member since 2009 • 4061 Posts

This site seems like quite the ghost town since the update... Can anyone suggest a good forum site for off topic discussions that people are actually on? Might just start trying the competitor game sites.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Ign

http://s4.zetaboards.com/The_Daily_Happening/forum/3128480/

MystikFollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MystikFollower
Member since 2009 • 4061 Posts

@dave123321 said:

Ign

I checked it out and the OT forum looked like a juvenile douchefest... Not that this forum was the height of intelligent discussion. I'll give it another shot though. At least people talk there lol.

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

They've left and obviously the staff here doesn't care because I don't see any changes happening to bring them back. It was really stupid to change the forums so drastically...

OmitName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By OmitName
Member since 2005 • 766 Posts

i have been peeking my head in at gamefaqs. our usernames transfer i think, so you dont have to sign up. there is no high brow conversation. but there are more people on the current events board than here. it is some strange business, and i can tell that going there is not good for me. i have found one or two things that i couldnt help but have a good laugh about though. it is a little weird, and hard to keep up; you have to track every topic you comment on to see any replies because nothing ever floats there.

Advance_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Advance_101
Member since 2003 • 18751 Posts

The bodybuilding.com Misc forum is great. There always seems to be something epic going on over there. I don't have an account, but I lurk threads there often.

OmitName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 OmitName

lurking always makes it sound like if its something bad to do. its funny that if you decide to raise a thought, almost always, the first thing that happens is, 'go away noob.'

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By rick
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

@junglist101 said:

They've left and obviously the staff here doesn't care because I don't see any changes happening to bring them back. It was really stupid to change the forums so drastically...

Ok here's me opening a can of worms...

I'm curious, which changes suck? I'm one of the developers who could make things better...

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

@edgework said:

@junglist101 said:

I'm curious, which changes suck? I'm one of the developers who could make things better...

Get 'im, boys.

Nah, but I'm actually cool with most of the changes. It'd be nice to have a system like the old place where topics would have some sort of way of showing that there were no replies, though.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

@edgework said:

@junglist101 said:

It has been posted about repeatedly in the Bug Reporting and Feedback forum. We need to be able to see that new posts were made in a previously read or posted in thread. We also need a way to show that we have read a thread as well as a way to go to the first new or unread post in a thread. This is something that licensed forum software does right out of the box, yet here we are, three weeks after the changeover and these forums still lack such a feature.

Avatar image for PWSteal_Ldpinch
PWSteal_Ldpinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PWSteal_Ldpinch
Member since 2011 • 1172 Posts

@junglist101 said:

No, change was actually long overdue. However it seems like the implementation is what puts people off.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

@PWSteal_Ldpinch said:

@junglist101 said:

No, change was actually long overdue. However it seems like the implementation is what puts people off.

It is one thing to change, but another to open a website that isn't well thought out with all the basic features that one expects a website and forums to have, especially when dedicated software is available that does exactly that right out of the box is available unlike this home grown code that is being used.

OmitName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By OmitName

@edgework: there is a thread in feedback. it has some questions, ideas, and concerns. its a read but i think everything there still merits an address. link

what isnt there; here lately dealing with the 'call someone out box' has been very cumbersome. it hijacks the comment field. everything insists its a link. it doesnt let you return before or after it. i shake it by shift+ 3 or 2 then escape to change its mind about what its doing. its a pain. sometimes other inserted bits do the same. just now i wanted to quote you, but it didnt let me trim the chain. its also tricky to find a place to type around a quote, if you insert it first. everything wants to be in the quote box. images that dont need to be resized to fit, shouldnt be. tiny images come up as big blurry messes.

the loading time has gotten alot better lately though. its even better if i come straight to the boards instead of stopping at the front page. i dont know why.

i would be up to hear any response on the bits in that thread though. thanks for asking and good luck with your can of worms.

Avatar image for PWSteal_Ldpinch
PWSteal_Ldpinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PWSteal_Ldpinch
Member since 2011 • 1172 Posts

I personally think that this hemorrhage of active users has a lot to do with the decline of religion threads on this forum as of late.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 2

#15 rick
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

@OmitName said:

@edgework: there is a thread in feedback. it has some questions, ideas, and concerns. its a read but i think everything there still merits an address. link

I pinned that topic and edited the subject. Lets see what kind of conversation it starts...

OmitName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 OmitName

k.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

Remember back when I was getting laughed at by saying this would happen?

Yeah... Good times...

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

@The-Apostle said:

Yeah... Good times...

To be fair, they didn't leave for the reasons you said they would (unions); they left for reasons that we overlooked because we, forgetting history, underestimated GameSpot's capacity to wreck a website.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The-Apostle

@coolbeans90 said:

@The-Apostle said:

Yeah... Good times...

To be fair, they didn't leave for the reasons you said they would (unions); they left for reasons that we overlooked because we, forgetting history, underestimated GameSpot's capacity to wreck a website.

I also remember pointing out another reason they'd leave: Because the Website would look exactly like Giant Fail.

But, seriously though. This has to be the biggest epic fail I've ever seen a popular Website suffer. I knew the change would be catastrophic for Gamespot. Nobody believed me.

OmitName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 OmitName

i wouldn't say for sure that everyone who makes a scene and storms out, actually goes any where. give them some time to calm down. besides, the place is about as active as it was just before the scene changed. maybe even a teeny bit more. recently any way.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The-Apostle

@OmitName said:

i wouldn't say for sure that everyone who makes a scene and storms out, actually goes any where. give them some time to calm down. besides, the place is about as active as it was just before the scene changed. maybe even a teeny bit more. recently any way.

Not really. Before the announcement that the change was coming this place was far more livelier.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

@The-Apostle said:

@coolbeans90 said:

@The-Apostle said:

Yeah... Good times...

I also remember pointing out another reason they'd leave: Because the Website would look exactly like Giant Fail.

But, seriously though. This has to be the biggest epic fail I've ever seen a popular Website suffer. I knew the change would be catastrophic for Gamespot. Nobody believed me.

Nobody believed you because you were incessantly whining about unions.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By The-Apostle

@coolbeans90 said:

@The-Apostle said:

@coolbeans90 said:

@The-Apostle said:

Yeah... Good times...

Nobody believed you because you were incessantly whining about unions.

I'm merely pointing out unions weren't the only thing. >_>

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

I personally think that on a technical level, these forums are superior than the previous.
The layout is sleeker, more modern and overall easier on the eyes. Quotes look more clear and the comment editor is highly superior to the previous one.

The only things that are irritating is that you can't see if a thread has new comments and that you can't see in which threads you have posted.
Also it would be convenient to see which threads are the most popular comment wise.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178810 Posts

@The-Apostle said:

@OmitName said:

Not really. Before the announcement that the change was coming this place was far more livelier.

No OT was already dying before the switch over....

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By The-Apostle

@LJS9502_basic said:

@The-Apostle said:

@OmitName said:

You're right... Which is why I said specifically that it was better before the ANNOUNCEMENT.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

Why is The-Apostle in full "I TOLD YOU SO" mode?

Even before the change 90% of people were saying they weren't optimistic. Stop acting like you were the only one who was predicting bad things to happen

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

I have to say this is indeed pathetic. The topics have been in OT's front page for like a week or so. I really can't seem to find another forum to post in. Help a brother out :(

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dave123321

Come to tdh, gaza

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dave123321

And people were laughing at you because your union obsessed anger, apostle.

People just read about what was going away and some didn't think about the fact that there was going to be major changes. Like some only focused on those things that were first announced and laughed at those who threw a fit over those things. And no one really cares about those lost things. But now people realize that the announcement really didn't say much in the way of anything. Now people are upset at a forum that lacks features that have some use.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#31 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Probably better forums.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@dave123321 said:

Come to tdh, gaza

TDH has great users I conquer. But they never talk about anything serious at all.

Regardless I'll migrate there from the looks of it.

GamingTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GamingTitan
Member since 2004 • 657 Posts

i have seen other forums go through the same kind of changes and they all bounced back and were good again. Its not a 5 min process though.

Most of the forums that i have seen change actually didn't even have this much activity right after the change, so all in all I think Gamespot is and will be just fine~

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

@The-Apostle said:

@coolbeans90 said:

@The-Apostle said:

Yeah... Good times...

But, seriously though. [u]This has to be the biggest epic fail I've ever seen a popular Website suffer[/u]. I knew the change would be catastrophic for Gamespot. Nobody believed me.

You must be new to the internet then.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5871 Posts

Pretty much all of the best gamespotters have already switched over to TDH, but perhaps I can allow a few more. Anyone whose TDH application is rejected is welcome to join TDH_2.

http://w11.zetaboards.com/TDH_2/index/

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LJS9502_basic

@GazaAli said:

@dave123321 said:

Come to tdh, gaza

TDH has great users I conquer. But they never talk about anything serious at all.

Regardless I'll migrate there from the looks of it.

Have you conquered all the TDH users.....or just some?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LJS9502_basic

@The-Apostle said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@The-Apostle said:

@OmitName said:

You're right... Which is why I said specifically that it was better before the ANNOUNCEMENT.

And it slowed down before the ANNOUNCEMENT. I was here.....you're not going to convince of what I didn't see for myself.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

@dave123321 said:

Come to tdh, gaza

What is thd?

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 dave123321

Tdh is a forum made by the late and great GHL, a member of GS.

The community is close knit and plays games online from time to time. Main statement of the place is a good natured family environment where you can relax.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 dave123321

Family as in closeness. Not family friendly like the wall-e

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@dave123321 said:

The community is close knit and plays games online from time to time. Main statement of the place is a good natured family environment where you can relax.

Marketing.....

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deeliman

@dave123321 said:

Link?

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dave123321

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LJS9502_basic

@dave123321: I think you've misled him a bit. TDH isn't for everyone....

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deeliman

@dave123321: Thanks, I'll check it out.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points