When you sleep and are not dreaming is that what death is like?

• 91 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by lagreendown (1612 posts) -

Hi, recently I have had a friend who has been telling me how he is scared of him not existing once he dies. He made an interesting point that I have never really thought about until now. He told me that, what if death is just like when you go to sleep and don't dream of anything? I found it to be an interesting concept that I would like to disscuss with you guys. What do you think ?

#2 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

I believe that is exactly what death is like.

#3 Posted by konvikt_17 (22378 posts) -

BluRayHiDef

#4 Posted by KiIIyou (27157 posts) -
It is from our perspective. ;o
#5 Posted by Rich3232 (2628 posts) -

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

konvikt_17

#6 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

How exactly do you expect anyone to know?

#7 Posted by gamerguru100 (11902 posts) -

BluRayHiDef
I've got no problem with that. Seems peaceful.
#9 Posted by BossPerson (9178 posts) -
[QUOTE="konvikt_17"]

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

Rich3232

#10 Posted by gamerguru100 (11902 posts) -

Pirate700
Kill yourself and find out. JK, JK. Don't kill me, mods. :P
#11 Posted by lagreendown (1612 posts) -

Pirate700
I'm not expecting any one to know.. it's just what you believe in...
#12 Posted by Rich3232 (2628 posts) -

Pirate700
Well, for billions of years we didn't exist and I don't think anyone remembers that. That is the only thing we have to go off of.
#13 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

Rich3232

Well, for billions of years we didn't exist and I don't think anyone remembers that. That is the only thing we have to go off of.

That's a pretty terrible comparison...

#14 Posted by Rich3232 (2628 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rich3232"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]

Pirate700

That's a pretty terrible comparison...

how so?
#15 Posted by OreoMilkshake (12825 posts) -

Pirate700

is-ghost-hunters-real-or-fake.jpg

#16 Posted by gamerguru100 (11902 posts) -
[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

Rich3232

Er...that's not really a good way to put it IMO.
#17 Posted by austi722 (452 posts) -

Well you see your aware your dreaming when your alive. When your dead your brain is no longer active so you won't even know your dead, dreaming or anything. You won't see anything, so no its probably enternal darkness and your just gone.

#18 Posted by lagreendown (1612 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

OreoMilkshake

:lol:

#19 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -

I believe in life after death, so I wouldn't say that's how I see it.

#20 Posted by gamerguru100 (11902 posts) -

[QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"]

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

lagreendown

:lol:

Ghost Adventures>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ghost Hunters
#21 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

IDK TC how about you go die and tell us?

but i think you might want to wait your turn to find out...

#22 Posted by Stinger78 (5831 posts) -
Until you die, you can't say for certain what death is like. For many, there is the thought that it's just 'nothing' For many others, there is a hope of existence somewhere else. I know that, if there is 'nothing', that I would have 'nothing' to be scared of. Another way to think of it is, where were you before you were born - what was your existence like before your parents came together and you formed a body? Maybe death takes you where you were pre-life.
#23 Posted by GamerEye (1607 posts) -

Nope, because when you sleep, you will wake up...when you die......Nothing.

EDIT: In the sence that your mind will stop functioning, there for making it incapable of dreaming anything. When you sleep and dream of nothing your mind is still doing stuff.

#24 Posted by konvikt_17 (22378 posts) -

Until you die, you can't say for certain what death is like. For many, there is the thought that it's just 'nothing' For many others, there is a hope of existence somewhere else. I know that, if there is 'nothing', that I would have 'nothing' to be scared of. Another way to think of it is, where were you before you were born - what was your existence like before your parents came together and you formed a body? Maybe death takes you where you were pre-life.Stinger78

yea, nothingness, like Topic Title explains.

#25 Posted by OB-47 (10909 posts) -

Well you see your aware your dreaming when your alive. When your dead your brain is no longer active so you won't even know your dead, dreaming or anything. You won't see anything, so no its probably enternal darkness and your just gone.

austi722

How can it be eternal darkness? When you cease to exist their is no such concept of dark.

#26 Posted by gamerguru100 (11902 posts) -

[QUOTE="austi722"]

OB-47

How can it be eternal darkness? When you cease to exist their is no such concept of dark.

mindf*cked
#27 Posted by lagreendown (1612 posts) -

IDK TC how about you go die and tell us?

but i think you might want to wait your turn to find out...

k2theswiss
first of all, I am not gonna die to tell you. second of all, Its all speculation and curiosity.
#28 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
I have not experienced death, therefore I cannot give a proper answer. Whoa, bad missed word.
#29 Posted by gamerguru100 (11902 posts) -
I have experienced death, therefore I cannot give a proper answer.Zeviander
You've experienced death? How are you posting on GS?
#30 Posted by lagreendown (1612 posts) -
I have experienced death, therefore I cannot give a proper answer.Zeviander
Are you a zombie?
#31 Posted by gamerguru100 (11902 posts) -
[QUOTE="Zeviander"]I have experienced death, therefore I cannot give a proper answer.lagreendown
Are you a zombie?

LOL, we should all make fun of his mistake. :P
#32 Posted by CongressManStan (918 posts) -
Let me call up my dead friend, he can answer this question.
#33 Posted by Yoshi9000 (443 posts) -

Who knows what happens when you die. I like to believe anything can happen, it could be an adventure waiting to happen. Death only bothers us because we generally fear what we don't understand.

#34 Posted by lagreendown (1612 posts) -
Let me call up my dead friend, he can answer this question.CongressManStan
its okay don't call him I'll facetime him.
#35 Posted by lagreendown (1612 posts) -
[QUOTE="lagreendown"][QUOTE="Zeviander"]I have experienced death, therefore I cannot give a proper answer.gamerguru100
Are you a zombie?

LOL, we should all make fun of his mistake. :P

What if he really is a zombie? lol
#36 Posted by toast_burner (22959 posts) -

Until you die, you can't say for certain what death is like. For many, there is the thought that it's just 'nothing' For many others, there is a hope of existence somewhere else. I know that, if there is 'nothing', that I would have 'nothing' to be scared of. Another way to think of it is, where were you before you were born - what was your existence like before your parents came together and you formed a body? Maybe death takes you where you were pre-life.Stinger78
Most of the mass in the human body is from oxygen, so before I was born i would have been part of the sea or air.

#37 Posted by gamerguru100 (11902 posts) -
we generally fear what we don't understand.Yoshi9000
No wonder so many of us guys fear women then.
#38 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Dammit, didn't correct it fast enough ._.
#39 Posted by lagreendown (1612 posts) -

Dammit, didn't correct it fast enough ._.Zeviander
its okay we know your secret:P

#40 Posted by wis3boi (32098 posts) -

all the things we know about the brain and body so far point to a yes answer, that's what it's like

#41 Posted by wis3boi (32098 posts) -

[QUOTE="Yoshi9000"] we generally fear what we don't understand.gamerguru100
No wonder so many of us guys fear women then.

Don't worry, women understand women,a nd they fvcking hate each other

#42 Posted by Rich3232 (2628 posts) -
I've always wondered about an idea that pooped into my head fairly recently. Assuming that the universe is infinite, is it not possible that over a very long period of time, "our" atoms will become another human or perhaps a more intelligent, advanced species? We won't be the selves that we are now, but we may "live" again. Is that a reasonable idea or is there something wrong with it?
#43 Posted by toast_burner (22959 posts) -

I've always wondered about an idea that pooped into my head fairly recently. Assuming that the universe is infinite, is it not possible that over a very long period of time, "our" atoms will become another human or perhaps a more intelligent, advanced species? We won't be the selves that we are now, but we may "live" again. Is that a reasonable idea or is there something wrong with it? Rich3232
This is true. Also the water you drink was at some point somebodies pee.

#44 Posted by wis3boi (32098 posts) -

I've always wondered about an idea that pooped into my head fairly recently. Assuming that the universe is infinite, is it not possible that over a very long period of time, "our" atoms will become another human or perhaps a more intelligent, advanced species? We won't be the selves that we are now, but we may "live" again. Is that a reasonable idea or is there something wrong with it? Rich3232

The water you drink was likely once disnosaur spit. Every atom in your body was once a star. So yes it's possible, though obviously this isn't reincarnation, it's just that matter gets reused over and over

#45 Posted by Rich3232 (2628 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rich3232"]I've always wondered about an idea that pooped into my head fairly recently. Assuming that the universe is infinite, is it not possible that over a very long period of time, "our" atoms will become another human or perhaps a more intelligent, advanced species? We won't be the selves that we are now, but we may "live" again. Is that a reasonable idea or is there something wrong with it? wis3boi

The water you drink was likely once disnosaur spit. Every atom in your body was once a star. So yes it's possible, though obviously this isn't reincarnation, it's just that matter gets reused over and over

No, of course not. Nonetheless, that's a fascinating idea.
#46 Posted by d_parker (1760 posts) -

Hi, recently I have had a friend who has been telling me how he is scared of him not existing once he dies. He made an interesting point that I have never really thought about until now. He told me that, what if death is just like when you go to sleep and don't dream of anything? I found it to be an interesting concept that I would like to disscuss with you guys. What do you think ?

lagreendown

Stay awake for a couple days - I think that sudden urge to simply black out from exhaustion is what death is like. Here, then not here in a instant.

#47 Posted by wis3boi (32098 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="Rich3232"]I've always wondered about an idea that pooped into my head fairly recently. Assuming that the universe is infinite, is it not possible that over a very long period of time, "our" atoms will become another human or perhaps a more intelligent, advanced species? We won't be the selves that we are now, but we may "live" again. Is that a reasonable idea or is there something wrong with it? Rich3232

Also, been meaning to say I love your avatar :)

#48 Posted by Rich3232 (2628 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rich3232"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

wis3boi

Also, been meaning to say I love your avatar :)

Ah, thank you.
#49 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rich3232"]I've always wondered about an idea that pooped into my head fairly recently. Assuming that the universe is infinite, is it not possible that over a very long period of time, "our" atoms will become another human or perhaps a more intelligent, advanced species? We won't be the selves that we are now, but we may "live" again. Is that a reasonable idea or is there something wrong with it? wis3boi

I don't think this is correct. CMIIW, but I think there are different types of atoms (e.g. hydrogen atom, oxygen atom, etc). Hence, the atoms that form our bodies were once part of only things made of similar matter.

#50 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
its okay we know your secret:Plagreendown
The lich mob will be out to get me for my revealing of my secret.