When friends stop speaking to you

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#1 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts

May be a bif of a daft topic, but when friends that you were quite close to no longer make the effort with you, i.e they wont spend time or even speak to you anymore, is it worth trying to make more of an effort with them? or just think "screw it" and focus on other people ?

I have/had a group of female friends (im a guy btw) that ive been friends with for a few years now, but the last few months, they dont seem to have much to do with me. Its at the point where they will only contact me, if I contact them first, i.e on facebook. I still care about them as friends, but as hard as it may be, im also considering distancing myself from them and just focusing on others that still contact me now and then.

Any input will be great. Im not gonna lie, its getting me down a tad.

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

Its up to you to determine if they're worth the effort. They're your friends, how much they add to your happiness is your perspective, not any of ours.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
You get out what you put in. If you make an effort with a friend you should get good times in return for that effort. If the effort to friendship ratio is out of wack, maybe it's not worth your time.
slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

I make all the effort to talk and hang out with my friends. If your friends make no effort I say focus on the friends you know now, then when new friends come up divert your effort to your new friends.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
Just stop talking to them. They won't be the last to stab you in the heart.
Nude_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Nude_Dude
Member since 2007 • 5530 Posts
I say don't distance yourself yet, make an effort to spend some good time together. A big effort, that is, show them that you care. If you get nothing in return, move on and get some friends that actually view you as a friend.
RandomWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RandomWinner
Member since 2010 • 3751 Posts

I'd say it depends. If they enjoy your company then I wouldn't (its obvious if they do enjoy your company by the way, if you have any doubts they probably don't care much) but if they seem dismissive it isn't worth the effort. I've never been a person to take the initiative in a relationship, so if they're those kinds of people then it could just be that. If they just up and stopped, then I would distance myself.

Tazzman1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Tazzman1000
Member since 2012 • 638 Posts
From my experiences i would advise keeping in touch with them, but not straining yourself about it. By that i mean make an effort to keep in touch with them, text them or talk to them on facebook every once in a while (this way you can figure out whether they aren't interested in hanging out with you or they are just bad at keeping in touch cause some people are just that), but don't make a huge effort and concentrate on the people who you know will make an effort. Hope this helps :D
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#9 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Only make time for those who make time for you.

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Chris_53
Cheers for the advice, its helpful and makes a lot of sense
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Ditch them if you don't enjoy their company don't if you do, simple as that.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Only you can answer that question. Personally though, I've found the answer typically to be that it's not worth the effort.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#13 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

If they don't like you for who you are, they aren't worth the trouble.On the other hand, if it's something like a small disagreement, having some time away from other each can help. It's easier to look at the problem after the emotions aren't in control anymore.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

i'm still pretty good friends with literally all my friends from elementary school to high school, but my friendship with a lot of my friends is strained a bit since I don't go to the same university as a lot of my friends.I wish it was easy finding time to hang out with them or talk to them besides texting them or talking to them on facebook,but I hate to stress them out or force them to talk to me.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 super600  Moderator

From my experiences i would advise keeping in touch with them, but not straining yourself about it. By that i mean make an effort to keep in touch with them, text them or talk to them on facebook every once in a while (this way you can figure out whether they aren't interested in hanging out with you or they are just bad at keeping in touch cause some people are just that), but don't make a huge effort and concentrate on the people who you know will make an effort. Hope this helps :DTazzman1000

I'm terrible at doing that.I think sometimes I stress or annoy a couple of my friends out sometimes because I wish it was easier finding time to talk to them.I'm lucky I'm still friends with those people.

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

i guess it's worth a shot alot of friends a close through school and such and once college or what ever everyone wants to do afterwards you all go your seperate ways to some degree. it sad cause i miss a few of mine but their memeories are worth something. but if you can actually contact them and stay in touch all the better

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

i had this female friend who just recently found a BF,i called her a few days later after the incident, she picked up the phone and asked who i were? after a while i realized she'd deleted my number from her phonebook because of her BF and i was totally blown away cause she wasn't the type of girl who would do such a thing or at least i couldn't possibly imagine her doing that.that might be your case too.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 super600  Moderator

i guess it's worth a shot alot of friends a close through school and such and once college or what ever everyone wants to do afterwards you all go your seperate ways to some degree. it sad cause i miss a few of mine but their memeories are worth something. but if you can actually contact them and stay in touch all the better

almasdeathchild

That's what I'm currently trying to do.That's why i created a FB account in the first place.

PiscesChick93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 PiscesChick93
Member since 2008 • 10732 Posts

I no longer speak to my best friend from high school anymore. But to be fair, none of us made the effort to stay in contact (though we were contacts on Facebook).

I guess it just happens. I managed to make new friends, so sometimes it is just better to move on and find friends who will stay in your life, and who are worth it. Still, it depends - what would you want? =]

Suzy_Q_Kazoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Suzy_Q_Kazoo
Member since 2010 • 9899 Posts

If they can't make time for you, then they're not worth your time.

lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts
I don't talk to any of my friends from high school...they still try to contact me but I am an **** hole* and don't talk to any of my old friends. So, I'd say screw them.
Avatar image for Cyanide4Suicid3
Cyanide4Suicid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Cyanide4Suicid3
Member since 2012 • 733 Posts
I had an old friend like that. I loved him like a brother and as soon as he got a girlfriend, he rarely hung out anymore and soon after, quit talking to me all around. I tried to keep talking to him but then I just said **** it and quit trying.
roleplayer2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#23 roleplayer2004
Member since 2004 • 921 Posts

If someone doesn't make the effort to contact you it usually means they don't care and have moved on. Friends come and go like seasons.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

May be a bif of a daft topic, but when friends that you were quite close to no longer make the effort with you, i.e they wont spend time or even speak to you anymore, is it worth trying to make more of an effort with them? or just think "screw it" and focus on other people ?

I have/had a group of female friends (im a guy btw) that ive been friends with for a few years now, but the last few months, they dont seem to have much to do with me. Its at the point where they will only contact me, if I contact them first, i.e on facebook. I still care about them as friends, but as hard as it may be, im also considering distancing myself from them and just focusing on others that still contact me now and then.

Chris_53

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

They prolly don't like you anymore because they found out that you make lame topics.

Tazzman1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Tazzman1000

[QUOTE="Tazzman1000"]From my experiences i would advise keeping in touch with them, but not straining yourself about it. By that i mean make an effort to keep in touch with them, text them or talk to them on facebook every once in a while (this way you can figure out whether they aren't interested in hanging out with you or they are just bad at keeping in touch cause some people are just that), but don't make a huge effort and concentrate on the people who you know will make an effort. Hope this helps :Dsuper600

I'm terrible at doing that.I think sometimes I stress or annoy a couple of my friends out sometimes because I wish it was easier finding time to talk to them.I'm lucky I'm still friends with those people.

It's good to know that the advise i give isn't completely useless. Also i learnt what the quote button actually does, this means i am no longer a noob!!
Tazzman1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Tazzman1000

[QUOTE="Tazzman1000"]From my experiences i would advise keeping in touch with them, but not straining yourself about it. By that i mean make an effort to keep in touch with them, text them or talk to them on facebook every once in a while (this way you can figure out whether they aren't interested in hanging out with you or they are just bad at keeping in touch cause some people are just that), but don't make a huge effort and concentrate on the people who you know will make an effort. Hope this helps :Dsuper600

It's good to know that the advise i give isn't completely useless. Also i learnt what the quote button actually does, this means i am no longer a noob!!
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
If they won't make any effort, why should you?
michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
It honestly depends on you. You know your friends better than we do. What you may think may not at all match up with reality - friends do get busy and do sometimes forget unintentionally and unaware of how it makes you feel. If they're true friends, they won't forget about you. But even then, things like this do happen, and yeah, it's best just to move on rather than confronting them about it. You'll make new and possibly better friends anyway.
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 super600  Moderator

[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="Tazzman1000"]From my experiences i would advise keeping in touch with them, but not straining yourself about it. By that i mean make an effort to keep in touch with them, text them or talk to them on facebook every once in a while (this way you can figure out whether they aren't interested in hanging out with you or they are just bad at keeping in touch cause some people are just that), but don't make a huge effort and concentrate on the people who you know will make an effort. Hope this helps :DTazzman1000

Thanks for the wonderful advice.I will tell my friends this eventually.

pero2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 pero2008
Member since 2005 • 2969 Posts

My friends are like that.They never contact me so I don't contact them

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts
I once thought that I was solely at fault for not keeping in touch with them etc. But then I realized, it takes two to tango. So basically if you're the one putting in all the effort, then f*ck it.
brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

It seems like people make it out to be more than it is. Dont hold a grudge against anybody you lose contact with. People grow up, they grow apart, they get seperated by life, it happens.

Some people will make a huge deal about it & create some hostility over it. You guys are simply growing apart. Dont hate them for it, & dont push them ot be more active friends. Freinds come & go, freindshops also cool down, or pick up, rinse & repeat.

I had friends that hated me for distantcing myself from them yet the only thing i was doing was focusin on bettering myself, & my relationship with the one i loved. So like i said dont make a big deal oit of it.

Its wierd to me that freinds want to hold you to a standard for the rest of your life. Like if you're are super close now & hang out every dya then apparently in the future you have to conitue to hang out with those freinds every day for the rest of your life. Thats not how things work

Freindships may change with certain freinds where the amount of time you talk & hang will change. Dont hate them for it. Thats just how things work. Life, jobs, personal things, may get anyway, or people may change. It doesnt mean they hate you, they're just at a different point in life.

Legenkiller59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Legenkiller59
Member since 2008 • 6464 Posts

i just make new friends elsewhere, screw those old friends who don't wanna pay attention to you anymore

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Chris_53
Today I axed a friend who I thought cared alot about me. The main reason was that whenever id arrange to meet her, she would give me some excuse, but with another friend, she would always make the time and effort for them. When I asked her about it, she just had a go and blamed me for all the issue we have. So, thats her gone. Feel totally gutted but im not beginning to feel it was the right decision.
AussieePet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#37 AussieePet
Member since 2010 • 11424 Posts
If they don't make effort why should you? maybe talk to them about this ?
TwoFace-BS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TwoFace-BS
Member since 2011 • 9531 Posts
Just move on TC if they dont want to talk to you
wii60_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 wii60_3
Member since 2007 • 2017 Posts

Chris_53
Chrriiiis, you haven't talkked in agess, i feel like YOUVE changedd,omg
Avatar image for deactivated-590595a6292ce
deactivated-590595a6292ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-590595a6292ce
Member since 2008 • 5080 Posts

Generally I just move on.

sandlot76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 sandlot76
Member since 2005 • 53267 Posts
Sometimes it's for the best, you can't make them do anything, so if you've tried...