When does the UK switch to the Euro ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SLIisaownsystem (964 posts) -

The Euro destroys the sterling Pound srly its time to switch to the Euro. Remember when the Euro was worth 1,6 Sterling now its 1,1. With every day your money losing value. If you get used to it its not that hard. Every country gets his own coins, so you would not lose your culture. And the banknotes just show the history of architectures. From gothic to industrial revolution to modern times, not related to the history of UK?

Dont get offended its just my opinion and i would like to see British people paying with Euro.

#2 Posted by Dr_Manfattan (1363 posts) -

no thanks, im happy with my awesome money :D

#3 Posted by EMOEVOLUTION (8997 posts) -

The Euro destroys the sterling Pound srly its time to switch to the Euro. Remember when the Euro was worth 1,6 Sterling now its 1,1. With every day your money losing value. If you get used to it its not that hard. Every country gets his own coins, so you would not lose your culture. And the banknotes just show the history of architectures. From gothic to industrial revolution to modern times, not related to the history of UK?

Dont get offended its just my opinion and i would like to see British people paying with Euro.

SLIisaownsystem
Global currencies are bad ideas.. there is really no reason for it.
#4 Posted by princecaspian38 (636 posts) -

it would be great if england paid with euros instead of sterling pounds.:)

#5 Posted by Crimsader (11672 posts) -

Have they? I though they're still using pounds...

#6 Posted by Bourbons3 (24248 posts) -
Hopefully never.
#7 Posted by SEANSEXYUNDIES (1489 posts) -

i think one reason why the uk will never switch to euro is because they are losing a sence of identity if they were to switch to the euro. But im american and this is just a guess, could be way off.

#8 Posted by Mochyc (4421 posts) -
Whenever they'll need it. Kinda like Iceland never wanted to join the EU until they got into a tough situation because of the financial crisis.
#9 Posted by pete_merlin (6099 posts) -

Hopefully never, I love my pound

#10 Posted by Wolls (19119 posts) -

I really cant see this happening tbh

#11 Posted by jwsoul (5297 posts) -

i think one reason why the uk will never switch to euro is because they are losing a sence of identity if they were to switch to the euro. But im american and this is just a guess, could be way off.

SEANSEXYUNDIES
We are losing our identity anyhow whats one more huge blow to a country that values other nationalities overs its own due to a miss conception that other nations have harder working workforces and cheaper labor. Couple that with some other ridiculous circumstances like giving asylum seekers huge sums of money to live in luxury, when just like many people in the UK they could get buy living in a normal house not a veritable palace. Saying that i wouldnt mind using the Euro if it gets countries a step closer to working together and hopefully one day sorting out the crysis that is resources.
#12 Posted by clyde46 (47009 posts) -

Hell no! Pound Sterling is *THE* best money.

#13 Posted by Big_Bad_Sad (18243 posts) -
Hopefully never.Bourbons3
I agree.
#14 Posted by sonicare (53551 posts) -

Hell no! Pound Sterling is *THE* best money.

clyde46
It certainly has the history.
#15 Posted by Teenaged (31747 posts) -

I think that whether or not the price of the pound descends is irrelvant. The prices wont stay low simply by switching to a currency with higher value. Here in Greece, ever since we got the euro prices got up by a percentage of 200% (gradually or quite quickly).

And obviously it didnt help that 1 euro = 340,75 drachmas, unless of course that only helps anywhere except for the life of citizens and their every day purchases. And imo if such changes dont seek out to help citizens at all then they are stupid.

#16 Posted by KungfuKitten (21290 posts) -

I think that whether or not the price of the pound descends is irrelvant. The prices wont stay low simply by switching to a currency with higher value. Here in Greece, ever since we got the euro prices got up by a percentage of 200% (gradually or quite quickly).

And obviously it didnt help that 1 euro = 340,75 drachmas, unless of course that only helps anywhere except for the life of citizens and their every day purchases. And imo if such changes dont seek out to help citizens at all then they are stupid.

Teenaged
Yep where i live too. Which is quite surprising. Where did all that money go to?
#17 Posted by PoisonLenny (46 posts) -
Never. I like importing cheap games from the UK and don't want them to tinker around with their money.
#18 Posted by pete_merlin (6099 posts) -
Never. I like importing cheap games from the UK and don't want them to tinker around with their money.PoisonLenny
lol his point is valid!
#21 Posted by _glatisant_ (1060 posts) -

It won't happen any time soon. The fallout from the Lisbon Treaty will make it political suicide for a long time, and the tories (who will inevitably be in power after the election) aren't exactly the mostpro-Europe of parties anyway.

#22 Posted by escapeoftheape (1576 posts) -
the idea of all countries within the EU using one currency is great. its amazing to travel around in one continent and use the same currency wherever you go. what the eu is trying to do, is great.. but there will always be someone who will not cooperate with the others just for the sake of being stubborn. brits are not very loved around europe.
#23 Posted by clyde46 (47009 posts) -
[QUOTE="escapeoftheape"]the idea of all countries within the EU using one currency is great. its amazing to travel around in one continent and use the same currency wherever you go. what the eu is trying to do, is great.. but there will always be someone who will not cooperate with the others just for the sake of being stubborn. brits are not very loved around europe.

Its called a sense of national pride dude. We're losing what it is to be British and the Pound is one of the last things that make us British.
#24 Posted by _glatisant_ (1060 posts) -

the idea of all countries within the EU using one currency is great. its amazing to travel around in one continent and use the same currency wherever you go. what the eu is trying to do, is great.. but there will always be someone who will not cooperate with the others just for the sake of being stubborn. brits are not very loved around europe.escapeoftheape

I have to say that the feeling's mutual :P

#25 Posted by ganon92 (968 posts) -

I don't really care to be honest. Sure it's a case of national identity, but I've lost my need to be particularly patriotic anyway. Therefore, meh.

#26 Posted by majwill24 (1355 posts) -

Would be great if the US adopted the euro. The criteria and changes would really limit their ability endlessly finance their wars

#27 Posted by CBR600-RR (9690 posts) -

No, I don't want to see the sterling change into the Euro. Go count something.

#28 Posted by cjek (14327 posts) -
I couldn't care less what currency we use. The Euro is stronger, but it costs a lot to switch currency so I don't see much point. It won't happen anyway, Labour will probably lose the next election to the Conservatives, who are intent on keeping the pound.
#29 Posted by MGDobber (315 posts) -

Hopefully never...

Labour will lose the next election simply because they handed over the UK on a silver plate to the EU superstate. Even the very words 'United Kingdom' now has it's days numbered regardless of the Euro.

Cheers :)

#30 Posted by darkane331 (9 posts) -

brits are not very loved around europe.escapeoftheape

I don't get that, I've met people from over Europe and have always been friendly and polite to them and they tend to be entirely friendly in return. But then again you do get some royal **** brits abroad that give the rest a bad name which is kind of crappy.

But on a side, I don't see the point of not switching to the Euro, the British government spends a lot of money boosting the worth of the Euro so why not switch to it, the concept of a wider currency is great and it gives the british the financial support of the rest of Europe when it comes to trying economical times.

Either way I think the Euro would have a use in England but could anyone tell me why brits are unliked over Europe, I have no problems with my European friends.

Plus if it's a matter of Patriotism then that's really stupid, the pound may be a British icon but suggesting a countrys icons are worth keeping simply because they are is not a valid argument.

A International currency would truly be something amazing in the future.

#31 Posted by joesh89 (8489 posts) -

Probably won't ever happen... and that's a good thing.

#32 Posted by markop2003 (29917 posts) -
Maybe you haven't been watching the news but there have been fears that the euro could collapse due to the issues in Greece and Portugal
#33 Posted by MissLibrarian (9589 posts) -
[QUOTE="Bourbons3"]Hopefully never.Big_Bad_Sad
I agree.

Me too.
#34 Posted by taj7575 (12084 posts) -

TBH, I don't even see the point of the UK being in the European Union. They have their own currency, aren't in the Eurozone, and honestly are only needed when they are financing struggling nations. It's a waste of time for them, and the GBP is doing fine.

#35 Posted by darkfox101 (7055 posts) -
NECRO THREAD, stop posting in it.
#36 Posted by raynimrod (6857 posts) -

[QUOTE="Big_Bad_Sad"][QUOTE="Bourbons3"]Hopefully never.MissLibrarian
I agree.

Me too.

As do I. I don't want us to lose any more of our national identity.

Edit: Oh sweet, a huge grave dig - my bad.

#37 Posted by Espada12 (23248 posts) -

SEANSEXYUNDIES

That's exactly it.

EDIT: Just noticed it was a necro.. oh well.

#38 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

[QUOTE="escapeoftheape"]brits are not very loved around europe.darkane331

I don't get that, I've met people from over Europe and have always been friendly and polite to them and they tend to be entirely friendly in return. But then again you do get some royal **** brits abroad that give the rest a bad name which is kind of crappy.

But on a side, I don't see the point of not switching to the Euro, the British government spends a lot of money boosting the worth of the Euro so why not switch to it, the concept of a wider currency is great and it gives the british the financial support of the rest of Europe when it comes to trying economical times.

Either way I think the Euro would have a use in England but could anyone tell me why brits are unliked over Europe, I have no problems with my European friends.

Plus if it's a matter of Patriotism then that's really stupid, the pound may be a British icon but suggesting a countrys icons are worth keeping simply because they are is not a valid argument.

A International currency would truly be something amazing in the future.

Hello there. Do you realize what you have done?

#39 Posted by Fundai (6213 posts) -

Never; With the Economic state the Euro is in at the Moment, You'd have to be insane to use it.